Graceland University-Lamoni Top Questions

Blake

I would tell myself that it is a rough transition. Going from a school where i was friends with everyone to a school where you don't know many people can be scary but in the end it all works out. I would also tell myself that we were making the right decision to attend Graceland. I was doubtful because many people didn't want me to leave and i wasn't sure if it was the right school for me but it is perfect. Finally I would tell myself not to stress out because eveything falls into place.

Aaron

I would tell my self to get a jump on scholarships early. I say this because it seems every year financial aid never helps out the students and you have to find almost all your own money

jessie

i would adive myself that i needto get my life staight and start preparing for my future.i thought life in the real world was going to be the same as in high school but its not.if i could go back i would have studied more and focused.

zeneta

Don’t waste time doing things that will not help you grow as a person. Keep a good foundation that’s not going to be so overbearing. Live your life with dignity, honor, and respect. Show that kindness kills evil and don’t give up on yourself when someone tells you otherwise. Nor should one fall into temptations that suggest our minds to conduct evil deeds. The world to some people is a game. And a lot of people are corrupt and deceiving in this game. But you should play the game fair with hope, love, and show no animosity to those who did not play by the rules. Set an example that will show others there is always a better way to win the game such that, even if they do loose in the end, they can still win. Chose the path in your life you know you don’t have to second guess, or feel like failing is an option. Take one day at a time strengthening your mind with hope that whatever is giving you doubts soon brushes away. And put your faith in that of which, our entire nation chose to be under, God.

Lianmarie

I would tell myself not to waste time and study as hard as I can because the faster I finish, the faster I can start my career.

Lynnette

Dear High-School Self, Here’s some great news. Contrary to what everyone tells you this ISN’T the best time of your life. It will, however, have a dramatic effect on your future. Most of the people who are so important to you now will be no where to be seen in ten years. There will be that one (maybe even two if you’re lucky) that sticks with your through everything. You’ll share crazy nights and life milestones. As your shared time gets further in the past, you may go months without talking. Pick up that phone and it’s like nothing has changed. It’s ok not to know what the future brings. It’s ok not to know what you want to be when you “grow up”. You can go through college, build your life, and still not know what your end goal is. Wherever you are in life, you can have an uplifting effect on the people around you and find personal satisfaction. Relax. Let it go. It all seems so earth shattering right now, but really? It’s not. None of it is.

jonathan

I would tell myself to start school as soon as i get out of high school. I would also make sure that i find as many schohlorships as i possible could to help me pay for my education because college is really expensive.

Leslie

Knowing what I know now about the transition from high school to college I would tell my high school self to actually listen to the advice that other college students gave me. For example some college students told me the easiest way to make friends was to get out of your comfort zone and join clubs or other organizations. I wish I had listened to this advice but I thought it would be really easy to make friends like it was in high school. I was really wrong and my first year of college was so miserable that I was in my room almost all the time. Another thing I would have told myself was to get better grades my senior year especially since I was mostly taking duel enrolment clasees. I would tell myself this becaue the better your grades are the more scholasrship money you will receive from schools. This is a big part of the transition becasue not only will you have less to pay back after school, you won't have to stress over money while attending school and have more time to focus on your studies.

I would tell myself to take advantage of every opportunity that was offered. Even though i've tried different clubs and events and they weren't always for me, at least I can say that I tried. I have no regrets and I would tell myself to make sure that you always listen to your gut, but don't forget that you should never stop yourself for going out for that team or making those friends because you weren't sure enough of yourself or you were afraid. Live intelligently, but also live adventurously.

Tyler

Take a tour of many colleges and really get to know some staff and the campus. Then think about which one you feel will suit your needs best.

Joshua

Take a good look at it all and know your options. Even though the college isn't the greatest you ultimately have the power to change your environment and do great things. You can make the most of it by opening up and stepping out of your comfort zone. Reaching out especially to others because we are social animals and when we make someone happy it makes your life meaningful. Parents let your child go, let him/her be free to do new things. You know your child best and if you did what was best then they will never forget that.

Dan

Spend some time on the campus outside of their "regularly scheduled prospective students" visits. You will get a much better feel for the actual movement of campus life, the rigor of classes and the true attitude of the school and students if you come at a random time. Remember to get involved early in student groups, extra-curricular activities, and things that challenge you to be a global citizen dedicated to shaping a better world. If you wait until you are an upper-classman, you will find that your schedule may be too full to do the things that ACTUALLY make a difference. Stay in touch with your family, but parents, let your child have some space -- without it, the jump into full adult life is so much more difficult. Most importantly, take the chance to meet people you wouldn't normally be friends with -- you will learn more about life, the workplace and success than any class could ever teach you.

Cassandra

Have an academic goal in mind. You can always party, so study hard and party later! You only get one chance to make a great impression with your GPA. After that you will play "catch-up and make-up" with your grades for the rest of your life. Colleges do notice and hold it against you forever when you make bad grades!

Nalani

Participate in everything.

KAtrina

For the student they should live on campus for at least two years. join lots of activities, the more you get involved the more fun you will have. Don't get in a serious relationship. Don't get married untill you graduate. Date people but don't have a girlfreind/boyfriend. Parents, be supportive. Be their for your child but let them make their owen disisions. If you can help pay for their college but don't give them spending money, they should get a job for that. Both. Pick a school that specializes in the major the student wants. Look at several schools before choosing.

Michaela

Go where your heart tells you. Not where your head tells you.

Sara

Don't smother your children when you send them to school. They want to have their freedom as much as you don't want them to have it (or want them to). When you drop them off for school help them, but also give them their space to show others the person that they are from the very beginning. When they call you and say "mom, I need money." Help them out, but within limits. Make them learn some form of responsibility. Don't harp on them about their social habits, it's a fact of college life that just about everyone goes through; let them learn their lessons and move on from them.

Kalen

First ask yourself what it is that you absolutly love to do, because if you love it then you can do it forever. In choosing a college appy this question in your decision making, dont go to school for a girl or guy, don't go to a school because they offered you the most money (just because they offered you more money doesn't mean you can't qaulify for more money elsewhere). Don't go to school because of sports alone (unless you plan on making a career professionally from it). Instead choose the school that specifically offers the best education and field activity for your desired career. I went to school because of money, and they offered me scholarship to play football. I love football, but i've had my last season this past fall. Looking back I could have engaged in so many more activities, like traveling to businesses, interning, acting in plays and would have been able to take more classes. I won't trade the memories i made during football at Graceland, but it has opened my eyes to the sacrafices i have to make if i want to truly pursue my career.

David

I would tell them that the first choice is not always the right choice. Take trips to different schools and let the student stay a night or two to get a feel for the college. Just because the school is in a small town does not mean it does not have a great program and things to do on your free time. Often these schools can offer more than the large state school can.

Think about what you want to study then find the best school in that area.

Garrett

I would have to say that one must seperate their time wisely. Do not porcastinate . I does a takes a toll on your sleeping habits as well as your mind. Plus, try not to worry about what people think about you and just be yourself. It isnt high school any more and people are a little more mature. Also if your going to do sports be a student athlete instead of a athlete student. Its very rare that peopl get professional sports jobs and you need to have a back up plan. Oh and one more thing just have fun.

Go to Graceland.

Sara

Make sure that you look at many different schools and find the school that is right for you. Not one school is right for every person. The more that you look at the more you will be able to find one that works for you and where you fit in. Parents, don't force your children to go to any particular school; help them to make the decision of their choice. Support your children in the educational choices that they make, whether you agree with it or not; it's their education, not yours. Students, have fun no matter what and find the right group of people for you to hang out with, you'll love all of your four years if you can do that.

I would tell the prospective students not to go to a school just because one of their friends is going there but because that school feels right for them. They need to have a personal connection with the school and not just go there for athletic or academic reasons because i feel as if they wont be successful. Also some advise would be to choose the right group of friends. Dont hang out with people who go out to bars and party if you dont like to do those kind of things. Dont give into peer pressure! I dont have much advise for parents but one little note would be dont treat your child like their still living at home. They are adults now and have to grow up, make their own decisions, and learn from their mistakes. Overall college is the way to go and i would recommend it to everyone!

Andrea

Really research your perspective schools and go visit them if possible to see if its right for you. Find out every little bit of information about the college as you can. To make the most of your experience you really got to get involved in the campus activities, it's one of the easiest ways to meet new people and friends.

Katie

I believe it is necessary to have the experience of a day at the college when school is in session. Sometimes, highschool seniors are presented with a biased version of life at the school from current students or recruiters. Attending a school visiting day is not enough to figure out the bad side of a school. I wish colleges and universities offered the option of attending classes and living in a dorm for several days, so incoming students can make a more informed decision based on the experience of social and academic life.