Grand Canyon University

« See more reviews of Grand Canyon University

Eliminate unnecessary distractions and things that hold you back: A support system is important (family, friends, some socializing), but eliminate things that discourage or waste time and energy. Learn how to learn; research learning and study strategies—and put them to use. Proactively approach each class: Buy books in advance, and start reading before the class begins; look ahead at future assignments, and do what's possible early; invest in good study tools, but don't waste money on unnecessary props. Participate in class discussions, listen, and learn from other students as well as professors. Be willing to learn and to be taught, because if you already know more than anyone else, why are you in school? Strive for quality, excellence, and honesty in your studies and the way in which you conduct yourself; the process you use in school will become your pattern for life. It will carry over and affect work, life, and relationships. The momentum built in college will provide the velocity to propell you through life—successfully or ... Enjoy the ride: After proactively doing all possible to get an A and do well, smile, make friends, establish relationships. Help other people along the way.

In the midst of great challenges, you must take the opportunity to be come "great". Life will teach you alot, but the lessons learned while obtaining a higher education are skills learned to produce a life of "excellence". The following quote is a perfect sumation regarding education: "...... Excellence is the result of caring about what you do, and of putting your very best effort into what you care about. Excellence is an outward expression of inner integrity, and few things are more valuable than that.... ...... Excellence is a product of your attitude. Excellence is a product of your passion and commitment. A life devoted to excellence is not easy, and can at times be frustrating and painful. Yet a life without excellence is even worse, because the pain of regret for what could have been is a pain that never ceases..... ..... Excellence is an investment that continues to pay dividends long after the effort has been made." ~ Ralph Marston Life has a lot to offer and we choose excellence over settling for the mundane we can be come the "mover and shakers" of our generation to make the world around us a better place in which to call home.

I would tell students and parents to research local schools, and other schools that interest them. It's important to know what different schools are known for in their academic profile, and it all depends on the career students want to achieve. Once finding the right school, it would be beneficial for students to get involved with the freshman activities schools usually have for new students. It's a great way to find friends and peers that have the same interests you do in school. It is also helpful to go to those activities because it allows students to know where everything is located in the school. Lastly, it's very beneficial to get involved in the school activities-even if it's going to the school games or joining a club. Joining a club helps students interact more with others that share the same interests also. Clubs can be exciting, and they stand out in resumes. Researching and doing activities will help students and parents make the correct choice in what school would be the most beneficial for academic needs, and activities will make the most out of a college experience. It will allow many to make everlasting memories.

Students, once you are admitted to a university and start new chapters of your lives, you should never forget about the place that you came from. The place that you were born and raised symbolizes many significant values and morals that were embedded in you from your society. First, you should never take anyone for granted especially the ones who have helped you succeed in life and support you with your future endeavors. You should always be grateful for people who are freely willing to assist you with your needs. In addition to being appreciative, you should never lose sight of the main reason why you are attending college; to further your education, earn a degree, and eventually have a career. Unfortunately, it is easy to get distracted in a world away from parents. With that said, you should not disappoint your parents; they only want what is best for you. Ultimately, you should make your parents proud and prove to them that they have raised you well and this can be illustrated through your actions. Overall, you should never settle for the least. In other words, dream big and be determined to make an enormous impact on the world.

As stated by Elbert Hubbard ?A goal without a plan is just a dream? (Hubbard, 2010). I returned to college in January 2009 after a 23 year hiatus. My choice to study Information Technology is in large part due to the attacks on America on September 11, 2001. In the aftermath with the release of the 911 Commission report there was evidence that mistakes were made and information not shared amongst the monitoring agencies. After the attacks, President Bush created The Department of Homeland Security. It is my goal to secure a position within one of the Government agencies under the auspices of the DHS.; such as the Cyber-Crime Division. My degree in IT is the first step in the foundation of my educational pursuits. I?m currently on track to graduate from Bryant & Stratton in August, 2010 with an Information Technology Associate?s Degree. Having no prior experience with computers, I have done well in my education and maintained a 3.8 GPA the past 4 semesters. I begin my Bachelor?s Degree in Criminal Justice at SUNY IT, in New York State in September 2010. Thank you for this opportunity to apply for the Campus Discovery Scholarship.

It’s not always easy to get your schoolwork done, with this chaos around you. However, it does not matter. You have to really push to do your schoolwork, it will pay off in the end. Pay attention to school and don’t think it is a lot of work, college is even more work. Take things seriously, don’t think for a moment that this lesson is unnecessary. All the teachings in school are completely useful and helpful toward your grade. Look up more scholarship opportunities, learn how to find the right ones. College is more money than you could imagine paying, so you will need help. Fulfilling your dreams starts with the money to do so. Learn more about loans, do not plan on relying on them for everything. Do not take out a lot of loans, the interest will hinder your income in the future. Figure out a more suitable way to properly spend the money you receive. Lastly, keep your good attitude. Make sure you stay tenacious and strive for success. Do not get caught up in meaningless procrastination. Stay happy, never find yourself discouraged. You are the only one who can live out your destiny.

College is period of growth, academically and personally, and has been the most valuable experience of my lifetime. My younger sister just graduated from high school and I shared my experiences with her. I explained to her that college is tough - you may get a teacher who bombards you with homework and essays, or you haven’t seen the daylight who knows when because finals are coming up and you’re determined to get an A – but I reminded her that college is well worth it in the long haul and gives you a sense of satisfaction. The experiences in college create a wealth of knowledge within a person. It makes one wiser and grants them the ability to achieve their goals. Moreover, college is also about the fun events like the football games, or baseball games because you have to find a balance between academics and your social life to say you have experienced college. While I am in my final two years of my undergraduate degree, I have valued every experience in college thus far, and I am looking forward to the experiences I will be encountering before I receive the diploma I have worked so hard for!

It would be such a wonderful opportunity to go back in time and give advice to myself. As an 18 year old college freshman with a very sheltered background, I was very unprepared for the new challenges I faced as a college student vs. a high school student. I was unaware of many of the financial responsibilities facing adults, including the costs associatied with higher education. I would definitely educate myself more thoroughly. I would also pass along the importance of concentration and note taking in class. My education is for my benefit alone! It is important to maximize my time in class and truly enjoy the process of learning. I would share with my younger self the simple joy of learning both for goals as well as pleasure. One lesson that only the process of growing older and maturing can teach us is the value of our time. I would be sure to share with my younger self the importance of using my time wisely, and not squandering it away foolishly. But more important than all of these life lessons would be to teach myself the value of appreciating the joy of simply living in the moment.

Hi JoAnn, I am from your future, and life it is NOTHING like we planned. I beg you please stay focused on the future you have planned! those feelings of inadequacy and loneliness, I promise, are just growing pains. Going to college will give you not only a new beginning but a step toward a much more secure future. Don't listen to that boy. Besides, you were accepted to the three (3) schools you applied to. Just stay focused on this last year of high school so you can make the valiant transition to a well-deserved college life! Remember ‘What happens to a dream deferred...' I want you to go to college. Make our plans our reality. You will be inspired and appreciated for you and have that healthy exchange of encouragement you are seeking. You are a clever girl with real ideas and ideals. College will be the opportunity to explore your interests and yes, join the sorority you often dream of. It is so much more than you can imagine. The experiences will be life long and always rewarding. Let’s go tell mom and dad we chose Butler University,… please. Everything else can wait.

I may have a different perspective on this question than most. I am returning to college after a 25 year absence. If I could return and talk to myself as a high-school senior, there are several things I would say. First and most importantly, I would remind myself what my parents always taught me. A college education is the foundation for the rest of life. I would have to remind myself that the dreams I had for my life and carreer as a young child must be followed. Do not allow anything to cause you to stray from your goals. There is absolutely nothing more important in your life right now than a college education, it will open up the world for you. College is a transition. It is a time to explore ourselves and the world, through knowledge. Apply yourself completely, don't get distracted. There will be freedom you may not have had before in making daily decisions. Always remember that every decision you make, no matter how trivial it may seem, will affect the rest of your life. Enjoy your time at college, learn all that you can. A college education is the foundation for everything.