Grand Canyon University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Grand Canyon University

Troy

I completed a Master's Degree program in History at GCU online. I was told that I was not eligible for graduation as my GPA was 2.99 and it had to be 3.0. They want me to take one class over that I got a C in because the professor would not accept my last paper for trivial technical issues. The class would have to be out of pocket for $2500 so I can get .01% of a grade increase. I can't afford this and don't know how I can even get my degree now without doing this. I highly recommend anyone thinking about taking courses here to not do it. There are better schools out there with lower tuition and much better programs that would be preferable to going here.

Mari-Elena

Abigail

I believe that Grand Canyon University is a school that truly cares about it's students well-being. The school wants to create a positive environment for all the students and does not favor a certain group. The christian aspect of GCU brings all of us together with a common interest. When I visited GCU as a high-schooler the moment I stepped onto campus I noticed how friendly and lively the environment was. I was able to tell that I would feel at home while on campus.

Devi

In my opinion Grand Canyon university is an amazing school. The students and faculty are all very kind. The students are all very focused and hard working. It is helpful for me as well that people answer questions for you when you have them. It is an amazing school and I can not wait to start in September.

Benjamin

I am pursuing a Masters in Education and I believe that Grand Canyon University provides the best flexibility, accreditation, and support for my program. I was introduced to the University by many of my colleagues that I work with at my school. Each provided their own insight into this private christian college, but their consensus was the same: it's a good college for education and licensure classes. I worked into the college, comparing them against both brick and mortar schools, as well as other online universities. What really sparked my interest was that Grand Canyon University had the highest graduation rate for an online University. I then decided to apply to the college. The administrators and counselors at the college were very helpful. They quickly laid out all the costs associated with the college, what classes I would need to take, and my projected graduation timeline. I was thrilled to learn about their 6 week class interval, providing extra flexibility in case anything should get in the way. Upon starting classes, the University gives you a quick demo class in which to learn the system. They teach you how to submit assignments, where to access your books, and how the teacher presents their leacures. Classes proved to be much the same way. Everything is in a similar format as the demo class. I found it extremely easy to use, instead of scrambling from day 1 to figure out how to use everything. This made it much easier to concentrate on my classes. Overall, I know that Grand Canyon University provides the flexibility and education that I will need to succeed as an Elementary Teacher.

Alex

Grand Canyon is helping me to achieve my dream of becoming a teacher through their excellent accelerated and comprehensive education program. I have always loved school because of my teachers. They make me want to learn. It's not a chore to go to school or something I dread having to do every day. I genuinely look forward to going each day and learning something new through whatever fun and creative activity the teacher has planned for us. This is the environment I find myself in even at the college level. I want to be able to make the same impact that my teachers have made on me, so that students never dread having to go to school, so that they never see learning as a chore they have to do. I want to create an environment where the child feels safe and comfortable and included. I want to instill in young minds a desire to read everything they can get their hands on because they crave new knowledge and want to seek it out. Grand Canyon has set up an easy to follow step by step program where help is always easily accessible and the range of student resources is mind boggling to aid me in my journey of earning my BS in Elementary Education, putting me one step closer to getting my teaching license. That way, I may have a shot at a job that nurtures the young minds of the future and to me that wouldn't be work, it would be a privilege.

Anon

My personally identifying information has been altered here.... The only degrees that are of any value at GCU online or campus are those that lead to accredited licensure in Arizona. In other words, it doesn\'t matter where you graduate FROM, necessarily, it matters if you pass a larger licensure test successfully like an RN license NCLEX exam. BSN/MSN\'s are ok from here because these degrees are really treated like CEU\'s/Professional Certs in healthcare. The BSN, for example, is really simple, and, again...this degree is used for promotional purposes within healthcare as your job relies on your core competencies realized through your license & the associated tests etc. not the degree. Jobs requiring degrees that rely on merit/reputational status, academic standards of a given University will not look at you as a candidate if your degree is from GCU. i.e. any business degree. Most employers outside of healthcare, in my experience, do NOT recognize these degrees and treat them no differently than any other paper mill. (Of course due to Ducey AZ elem. teacher program does which pays around $29k a yr in this state) Due to the ongoing enrollment scandals & other lawsuits and the associated claims (which are true from my personal experience)of the complete lack of instruction in the online forum, no student resources, schemes to get people to take or re-take courses that aren\'t necessary and/or are designed deliberately with defects to get more money from you forcing re-takes etc (current lawsuit)....employers are aware of this and will NOT call you if you are reliant on the degree rather than a license or undergrad from a more reputable University to get a job. Also...GCU allegedly uses their enrollment sales staff to write bogus positive reviews all over the internet. They also allegedly hire \"graduates\" for their enrollment counselor positions a lot, which pays poverty wages, to manipulate mandatory reports for the Dpt. of Ed. Finally, if you are an Arizona resident and attempt to seek legal assistance regarding this place...good luck. The state seemingly shields GCU due to the associated tax revenue(s) & political donations to various politicians in my experience. Attorneys seemingly are aware of this. Also, since it\'s basically a Wall Street hedge fund...they have a powerful team of predatory attorneys to silence any dissidents. The Christian ownership/staff was obliterated in 2006-2007 when this place was bought out during a bankruptcy proceeding by the same investment group associated to University of Phoenix & the associated scandal as it relates to them. Signed, Anonymous whose life was literally destroyed by this hedge fund referred to as....GCU

Latisha

I am currently in the Doctoral Program, and it takes 2 weeks to 1 month to get feedback. I feel as though I am being scammed. Also, I received A's in every online class, except the ones where the teacher saw my face and SKIN color. Coincidence? It seems as though 90% of the teachers are Caucasian-American females. No diversity! Oh, two of the three campus rooms I was offered had bed bugs. I would not recommend.

Craig

Grand Canyon University is an excellent choice for your college career. While most activities take place on campus, there is no shortage of exciting events and groups to participate in. Because the school was built in the last decade (and is continuing to grow), the on-campus amenities are fantastic. Fellow students and professors are kind and are always looking for ways to help you both in and outside of the classroom.

S

My classmates in my online classes cannot construct a coherent sentence or a coherent paragraph. There are many spelling mistakes, wrong word choice, run on sentences and sentence fragments. My classmates use your instead of you're. My professor avoids giving straight forward answers to student questions. Instead, my professor forces students to go hunting for their answers alone even though students have no idea where to find the answers to their questions. Dr. De La Torre is unfit to be a professor who teaches students. Very vindictive and malicious

Naomi

I love Grand Canyon University! The instructors are very approachable, understanding, and expect excellence. The fine arts department is one of the smaller departments, but it is growing! The students are accepting and supportive of their colleagues, and I have made many friendships that I believe will last a lifetime!

tyrel

So far I love G.C.U. it has been absolutely amazing. The counselors have all been very accommodating, and patient. My enrollment counselor was absolutely amazing. Specifically with obtaining me school funding. I was vey well informed on how online classes would work, and what to expect. Then I was walked through the student portal and shown the various resources there. G.C.U's online tutorial videos were very helpful and super easy to access, re-access, and understand.

I love how I am able to come to campus and just be myself and express myself without being judged or casted out in any shape or form. GCU gives you so many opportunities to get involved and stay connected with not only the staff but the students as well. I have never seen a dull moment on campus and love how connected I feel. I love how I do not have to worry about asking for help or advice from any teacher or counselor. GCU wants the best for the students and offers many resources. You have so much help at the tip of your fingertips twenty four seven. No matter when or where GCU has your back and wants you too succeed. Go lopes.

Evan

GCU is a great school who is affordable to those with money. I didn't have much assistance financially so that was unfortunate, but other than that, its a good place to be. The academics are ok, but there is a lot of help and assistance offered in all areas of life.

Kimberly

GCU is a great school to attend especially for Christians! When I first decided to attend GCU uh was nervous at first because I had taken a break from college. Now that I am back in school I feel even more confident than ever! The teachers lets you know straight forward what they expect of you and I comply. As a Christian myself, I love the encouraging words from the scriptures of the Bible they give each week with announcements. This school is overall the best I have attended. I love my GCU!

They offer a vast majority of classes, as well as online classes. The professors are amazing, caring and always willing to help! They do not want to see you fail but strive and learn in their class and have you use the information in your every day life and careers.

Sterling

My opinion on Grand Canyon University is that it is a good school, if you want one that is not too far from their homes. There are good food services as well like fast food wise or in in-campus foods. The dorms are also good and it is not too big, but it is also not too small.

Tyler

Grand Canyon University is a dream school for me. I have visited the campus so many times to see the changes and how it is growing. The community is sweet as can be, the campus is large and still expanding, and the staff on campus is are the sweetest.

Madelyn

Grand Canyon University is a great university, I am looking froward to my education there. My transfer specialist has been so kind and caring. They seem to really care about your education and seem to really want the best for you. They are very willing to help you achieve your goals.

Jody

Grand Canyon has been very available and helpful in my "getting back to school" process. There really is a positive vibe with other students and faculty. I decided on this campus, not because it's a Christian campus, but because the school opens its arms to all view points. The curriculum builds in value based opportunities to reflect and uplift every student. This school has a good reputation with school districts in my area (Tucson) and I have met many "'Lopes" since I started classes.

Greta

Grand Canyon University has been the best decision I have made yet! In my honest opinion, it has been such a blessing and it is the student body and faculty that have made this place a home in my heart. I am going into my senior year and am extremely sad to say that I will be graduating, but am excited that this kind of campus culture is available amongst a student body that keeps growing day by day. Even though we are the largest Christian university, there is always a familiar face and people genuinely care about you. I wouldn't trade where I go for anything.

Brenda

My first year there was pretty decent, I was a commuter so I wasn't involved much. The only thing I don't enjoy is money. I, along with my family don't have a lot to live off of and even with scholarships and aid for school, it's still too much. Now my second year I'll be living on campus and the price is significantly higher and worried. I just hope the school is worth it.

Emma

It is a great school. The community here is awesome and there is a place for everyone. The school. is known for its nursing and business majors so be warned if you are an art major like me, it's not always the best of the best. We have the best student section in the nation so definitely be involved. GCU also gives away lots of free stuff, who doesn't love free t-shirts and food?!

Dawt

Before attending Grand Canyon University, as far as I did research online about colleges, I found that Grand Canyon University was one of the best and biggest Christian universities in the world. I am a current student at GCU, and I really love and like it. All my professor and counselor are being nice, kind, and always available to help.

Olivia

Grand Canyon University is a great school that helps you earn your degree on your own timeline. Everyone I have met truly cares about your success. I am a newer student but I feel so optimistic about my future because I feel like even though I'm taking online classes I have so many resources to use.

Lilibeth

Grand Canyon is the most beautiful campus I’ve ever seen and everyone is always so nice there! Everything about gcu is amazing and I can’t wait to start there this fall!

aileen

If I had to give a review for future students to rely on, I'll give it a 3.5/5 stars. The academics and some professors are unbelievably great. Other professors, they talk rather teach. Their availability is also great because they are always open. But the reason why the rating is so low is that the school, not so much as the professors, is more focused on expanding the school and sometimes geared more to growing the athletic department rather than focus on the students they currently have. Do not get me wrong, I love how the school is expanding itself, but stop building new garages and start focusing on the classrooms. I understand that we need new buildings to accommodate the growing population. To add, the SSA's are sometimes there and sometimes not there, thankfully my SSA is always making sure I am on track but others are not. What I am referring to by "being there" is that some SSA's are very active and knowledgeable to helping their students while others are there to get paid and have little to no knowledge of their students success. Is it their fault? No, probably not. It is very dysfunctional sometimes and as a student I am worried that the school is not focused on us current students.

Jacqueline

Grand Canyon University is an amazing school. It's has a very welcoming community, and students are always there for one another. The teachers and resources available to students are incredible. The university gives students everything they will need in order to succeed. Love this school!

Alexandra

Grand Canyon University is a school that is student oriented and helps a student find their purpose. GCU's school spirit goes above and beyond which makes every student feel that they are a part od something great. The faculty is always willing to help a student whether that is academically or if a student just needs someone to talk to. GCU prepares their students for their future career and builds up their students with confidence and determination.

Elayne

Grand Canyon University is a very academically focused community. While we do have lots of fun activities such as; our basketball games, Midnight Madness, and karaoke nights just to name a few, the people on campus don't really party. Our campus is a dry campus which means that students interested in partying usually either go to a friend's place off campus or they drive out to ASU. Even though we don't get the "complete" college experience, GCU is still an amazing school for academically driven students.

Hailey

I love Grand Canyon! I am currently in the Athletic Training Program at GCU and it is an outstanding program. Throughout the campus their is a sense of community. Classes are intimate and engaging. Their are so many opportunities for success on campus it's truly a great school.

Alexis

I love GCU! I do not see myself at any other institution.

Samuel

I am an online student in the Master of Science in Professional Counseling program at Grand Canyon University. Getting enrolled was effective and easy. Derek Harada, my enrollment advisor, was available to help guide me through the process. Professor Sheia Dwyer is organized, helpful, and informative. My enrollment advisor, Derek Harada, is a wonderful enrollment advisor who gives me a phone call every week to see how I am doing in my online class. My professor, Sheia Dwyer, gave me a phone call because she was concerned that I wouldn't successfully pass the online class. Professor Sheia Dwyer is very responsive and asks thought-provoking questions during the class. This is the final week of my online class, and I am sad that the class is coming to an end. My experience as an online student at Grand Canyon University has been very positive and wonderful. I highly recommend Grand Canyon University. Additionally, I have definitely felt that the overall quality of instruction has been great, and I feel that my paper writing skills, critical thinking skills, and research ability have definitely improved. In my experience, you won't find another college where the professors genuinely care about helping their students be successful. For my undergraduate degree, I graduated from the University of California Irvine. My online experience at Grand Canyon University is so much better than my UC Irvine traditional classroom experience. The work is challenging, and the flexible schedule of online courses is hard to beat. I would definitely recommend Grand Canyon University’s online programs!

Sydney

I have overall loved my experience so far at Grand Canyon University. There are many ways to get involved around campus as well as activities which are constantly put on by the school to keep you entertained. The professors are also always available to students which is very nice because it allows for students to be more successful in their school work.

Katie

Grand Canyon University has grown exponentially throughout the years. Being a transfer student, I toured here around three years ago and it looks nothing like it did before. All of our dorms and apartments are brand new within ten years of being built, main food chains provided on campus, and excellent professors.

GCU is, for the most part, a great school. Sometimes I think that they are more interested in being a business than educating though.

Kathryn

Based on the help I gain from my counselors, and placement in the schools for practicum and student teaching I would say I rate this school very poorly. The counselors are either overwhelmed or just don't do their job and their flippancy in handing a 4.0 student is horrendous. If I would have known this before transferring in I never would have made this mistake!! It is expensive too! Another thing is that they claim to be a Christian University but in the 3 years I have been attending here I have only had 2 classes that even slightly mention the Holy Trinity, only 2!! DO not be suckered into going here, you will be seriously disappointed!!

Zuleidy

I am currently a student at Grand Canyon University, and I have just been accepted into the nursing program starting May 6, 2019. I am beyond excited about this new journey in my life, and I wouldn't have been able to do it with the help of my amazing counselors and professors! Over the years, they have been encouraging and supportive throughout each semester, and they are always there to answer any questions that I may have. It is through their help that I am now just a few steps away from reaching one of my goals in life: being a nurse. There has never been a day that I ever regret choosing GCU as my university!

Having finished my first semester here at GCU, I have very much enjoyed my time spent here. There are tons of friendly people and while the people I room with are very different than I am we have still become very close and love living together, There is always studying going on no matter where you go, and you can always find someone to study with.

Jacob

Grand Canyon is a terrific college to attend. From its multitude of majors to apply for, to the clubs and social events to attend. The students and faculty are always so nice, especially to new students, and the teachers really care about your academic success. The courses are in-depth and all completely relevant to the major(s) you are in.

Paige

I absolutely adore Grand Canyon University and have enjoyed all the events and opportunities it has brought my way. GCU continues to excite me about the future whether it is concerning my own career, sports games, or spending time at the pool with friends.

Tonia

A christian base school that offers opportunity for campus and online students to pursue their degree, whether associate degree to PhD or ED in a variety of subjects. Students coming together as an whole in a learning environment that promotes a love for one another and God.

Chandler

Grand Canyon University is a place to come if you want to feel welcomed with a vast variety of opportunities. Of course every college and university has its issues and troublesome people, but overall this campus is a place where you can come to learn and thrive. Constantly there are opportunities at the grasp of every individual who walks onto this campus. You make it what it is with your time here. If you want to become involved and be apart of this God-loving community, Grand Canyon University is the place to be. It is safe, loving, and ever-growing.

Trey

I had a great experience at GCU. The professors were very interested and committed to our professional development, and the on campus life was vibrant. Everyone is very friendly and there are plenty of groups/clubs to join. The professors at GCU were always available and their mentorship helped me move onto graduate school.

Shailah

The campus is nice and big, there are more buildings being built the food is somewhat good, they have fast food places and mini marts available on campus. The library is kind of small. The classroom size depends on the class, some are small and some have over 50 students.

Zyra

GCU is a wonderful school and has plenty of extracurricular activities. They do sometimes stumble or mess up your credits so you have to keep in contact with your counselor . GCU has provided me many opportunities for jobs and scholarships. Their entrance scholarships are amazing! On campus living is nice if you have the money and are willing to live with at least 3 other people your freshman year. The dorms and apartments are nice and clean .

Joseph

Over the past two years, Grand Canyon University has been expanding. New buildings and facilities are respectfully under construction while school is going on. GCU is nearing a end to it's period of expansion allowing the campus to settle in and start to thrive. I like GCU more and more each day as I learn more about my major and get along with my professors. I beginning to find time for GCU's theatre, and besides having good grades my participation in plays is another way of me giving back to the school. Even though I lost my academic scholarship I will work to remain a student at GCU, and it is a welcoming university that allows me to do this.

Ariel

I visited GCU in January and I was sad when I left. I wanted to stay longer. It felt like home away from home. The people there are nice and the basketball game was so much fun. I'm very very very excited to attend there in less than 3 weeks and the next 4 years.

DaWon

I have learned that Grand Canyon University is a college that brings the best out in its students, faculty, and those who are influenced by our motto, "Find your purpose". Grand Canyon University is a Private Christian College but religion is not forced upon its students, and the college allows students to choose if they want God in their life. When the idea of academics comes about, I can say class sizes are relatively small and professors take the time out to teach. Having a small class size allows the professors to provide specialized attention for their student every class session. Also, majority of class assignments are turned in electronically and the Grand Canyon website for students rarely shuts down and or needs maintenance, so submitting class work is never an issue. I have lived on campus for the past two years in two different dorms and the dorms are really nice. Majority of the dorms have been built in the past three years so they are flawless and are completely safe to live in. Dorms do not have kitchens, only apartments have kitchens and this would seem to be a concern for those who live in the dorms on campus. The truth is that food on campus is nutritional and affordable, also the food court provides a variety of selections. Lastly, campus life on Grand Canyon University provides their students with life changing experiences that cannot be found anywhere else. For example the excitement that comes along with basketball season or the unity of the student lead organization, " The Havocs" . There are endless positive opportunities that can be found on Grand Canyon Campus life, but my favorite aspect is that the student body is extremely diverse. The past two years i have been attending Grand Canyon University is has been growing and improving everything, this up coming fall I will be starting my third year and I know it will be even better than last year. I would recommend Grand Canyon University to any High school senior who is willing to be all they can be and find their purpose in life.

Wayne

Having come from Catholic School I selected GCU because of the ability for students to lead in a significant way on campus, their commitment to outreach domestic and abroad, and the ability to be a part of a developing STEM program. The professors are very passionate about what they do here and the relatively small nature of the college allows the opportunity to connect on a personal level.