Grand Canyon University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Grand Canyon University

Evan

GCU is a great school who is affordable to those with money. I didn't have much assistance financially so that was unfortunate, but other than that, its a good place to be. The academics are ok, but there is a lot of help and assistance offered in all areas of life.

Kimberly

GCU is a great school to attend especially for Christians! When I first decided to attend GCU uh was nervous at first because I had taken a break from college. Now that I am back in school I feel even more confident than ever! The teachers lets you know straight forward what they expect of you and I comply. As a Christian myself, I love the encouraging words from the scriptures of the Bible they give each week with announcements. This school is overall the best I have attended. I love my GCU!

They offer a vast majority of classes, as well as online classes. The professors are amazing, caring and always willing to help! They do not want to see you fail but strive and learn in their class and have you use the information in your every day life and careers.

Sterling

My opinion on Grand Canyon University is that it is a good school, if you want one that is not too far from their homes. There are good food services as well like fast food wise or in in-campus foods. The dorms are also good and it is not too big, but it is also not too small.

Tyler

Grand Canyon University is a dream school for me. I have visited the campus so many times to see the changes and how it is growing. The community is sweet as can be, the campus is large and still expanding, and the staff on campus is are the sweetest.

Madelyn

Grand Canyon University is a great university, I am looking froward to my education there. My transfer specialist has been so kind and caring. They seem to really care about your education and seem to really want the best for you. They are very willing to help you achieve your goals.

Jody

Grand Canyon has been very available and helpful in my "getting back to school" process. There really is a positive vibe with other students and faculty. I decided on this campus, not because it's a Christian campus, but because the school opens its arms to all view points. The curriculum builds in value based opportunities to reflect and uplift every student. This school has a good reputation with school districts in my area (Tucson) and I have met many "'Lopes" since I started classes.

Greta

Grand Canyon University has been the best decision I have made yet! In my honest opinion, it has been such a blessing and it is the student body and faculty that have made this place a home in my heart. I am going into my senior year and am extremely sad to say that I will be graduating, but am excited that this kind of campus culture is available amongst a student body that keeps growing day by day. Even though we are the largest Christian university, there is always a familiar face and people genuinely care about you. I wouldn't trade where I go for anything.

Brenda

My first year there was pretty decent, I was a commuter so I wasn't involved much. The only thing I don't enjoy is money. I, along with my family don't have a lot to live off of and even with scholarships and aid for school, it's still too much. Now my second year I'll be living on campus and the price is significantly higher and worried. I just hope the school is worth it.

Emma

It is a great school. The community here is awesome and there is a place for everyone. The school. is known for its nursing and business majors so be warned if you are an art major like me, it's not always the best of the best. We have the best student section in the nation so definitely be involved. GCU also gives away lots of free stuff, who doesn't love free t-shirts and food?!

Dawt

Before attending Grand Canyon University, as far as I did research online about colleges, I found that Grand Canyon University was one of the best and biggest Christian universities in the world. I am a current student at GCU, and I really love and like it. All my professor and counselor are being nice, kind, and always available to help.

Olivia

Grand Canyon University is a great school that helps you earn your degree on your own timeline. Everyone I have met truly cares about your success. I am a newer student but I feel so optimistic about my future because I feel like even though I'm taking online classes I have so many resources to use.

Lilibeth

Grand Canyon is the most beautiful campus I’ve ever seen and everyone is always so nice there! Everything about gcu is amazing and I can’t wait to start there this fall!

aileen

If I had to give a review for future students to rely on, I'll give it a 3.5/5 stars. The academics and some professors are unbelievably great. Other professors, they talk rather teach. Their availability is also great because they are always open. But the reason why the rating is so low is that the school, not so much as the professors, is more focused on expanding the school and sometimes geared more to growing the athletic department rather than focus on the students they currently have. Do not get me wrong, I love how the school is expanding itself, but stop building new garages and start focusing on the classrooms. I understand that we need new buildings to accommodate the growing population. To add, the SSA's are sometimes there and sometimes not there, thankfully my SSA is always making sure I am on track but others are not. What I am referring to by "being there" is that some SSA's are very active and knowledgeable to helping their students while others are there to get paid and have little to no knowledge of their students success. Is it their fault? No, probably not. It is very dysfunctional sometimes and as a student I am worried that the school is not focused on us current students.

Jacqueline

Grand Canyon University is an amazing school. It's has a very welcoming community, and students are always there for one another. The teachers and resources available to students are incredible. The university gives students everything they will need in order to succeed. Love this school!

Alexandra

Grand Canyon University is a school that is student oriented and helps a student find their purpose. GCU's school spirit goes above and beyond which makes every student feel that they are a part od something great. The faculty is always willing to help a student whether that is academically or if a student just needs someone to talk to. GCU prepares their students for their future career and builds up their students with confidence and determination.

Elayne

Grand Canyon University is a very academically focused community. While we do have lots of fun activities such as; our basketball games, Midnight Madness, and karaoke nights just to name a few, the people on campus don't really party. Our campus is a dry campus which means that students interested in partying usually either go to a friend's place off campus or they drive out to ASU. Even though we don't get the "complete" college experience, GCU is still an amazing school for academically driven students.

Hailey

I love Grand Canyon! I am currently in the Athletic Training Program at GCU and it is an outstanding program. Throughout the campus their is a sense of community. Classes are intimate and engaging. Their are so many opportunities for success on campus it's truly a great school.

Alexis

I love GCU! I do not see myself at any other institution.

Samuel

I am an online student in the Master of Science in Professional Counseling program at Grand Canyon University. Getting enrolled was effective and easy. Derek Harada, my enrollment advisor, was available to help guide me through the process. Professor Sheia Dwyer is organized, helpful, and informative. My enrollment advisor, Derek Harada, is a wonderful enrollment advisor who gives me a phone call every week to see how I am doing in my online class. My professor, Sheia Dwyer, gave me a phone call because she was concerned that I wouldn't successfully pass the online class. Professor Sheia Dwyer is very responsive and asks thought-provoking questions during the class. This is the final week of my online class, and I am sad that the class is coming to an end. My experience as an online student at Grand Canyon University has been very positive and wonderful. I highly recommend Grand Canyon University. Additionally, I have definitely felt that the overall quality of instruction has been great, and I feel that my paper writing skills, critical thinking skills, and research ability have definitely improved. In my experience, you won't find another college where the professors genuinely care about helping their students be successful. For my undergraduate degree, I graduated from the University of California Irvine. My online experience at Grand Canyon University is so much better than my UC Irvine traditional classroom experience. The work is challenging, and the flexible schedule of online courses is hard to beat. I would definitely recommend Grand Canyon University’s online programs!

Sydney

I have overall loved my experience so far at Grand Canyon University. There are many ways to get involved around campus as well as activities which are constantly put on by the school to keep you entertained. The professors are also always available to students which is very nice because it allows for students to be more successful in their school work.

Katie

Grand Canyon University has grown exponentially throughout the years. Being a transfer student, I toured here around three years ago and it looks nothing like it did before. All of our dorms and apartments are brand new within ten years of being built, main food chains provided on campus, and excellent professors.

GCU is, for the most part, a great school. Sometimes I think that they are more interested in being a business than educating though.

Kathryn

Based on the help I gain from my counselors, and placement in the schools for practicum and student teaching I would say I rate this school very poorly. The counselors are either overwhelmed or just don't do their job and their flippancy in handing a 4.0 student is horrendous. If I would have known this before transferring in I never would have made this mistake!! It is expensive too! Another thing is that they claim to be a Christian University but in the 3 years I have been attending here I have only had 2 classes that even slightly mention the Holy Trinity, only 2!! DO not be suckered into going here, you will be seriously disappointed!!

Zuleidy

I am currently a student at Grand Canyon University, and I have just been accepted into the nursing program starting May 6, 2019. I am beyond excited about this new journey in my life, and I wouldn't have been able to do it with the help of my amazing counselors and professors! Over the years, they have been encouraging and supportive throughout each semester, and they are always there to answer any questions that I may have. It is through their help that I am now just a few steps away from reaching one of my goals in life: being a nurse. There has never been a day that I ever regret choosing GCU as my university!

Having finished my first semester here at GCU, I have very much enjoyed my time spent here. There are tons of friendly people and while the people I room with are very different than I am we have still become very close and love living together, There is always studying going on no matter where you go, and you can always find someone to study with.

Jacob

Grand Canyon is a terrific college to attend. From its multitude of majors to apply for, to the clubs and social events to attend. The students and faculty are always so nice, especially to new students, and the teachers really care about your academic success. The courses are in-depth and all completely relevant to the major(s) you are in.

Paige

I absolutely adore Grand Canyon University and have enjoyed all the events and opportunities it has brought my way. GCU continues to excite me about the future whether it is concerning my own career, sports games, or spending time at the pool with friends.

Tonia

A christian base school that offers opportunity for campus and online students to pursue their degree, whether associate degree to PhD or ED in a variety of subjects. Students coming together as an whole in a learning environment that promotes a love for one another and God.

Chandler

Grand Canyon University is a place to come if you want to feel welcomed with a vast variety of opportunities. Of course every college and university has its issues and troublesome people, but overall this campus is a place where you can come to learn and thrive. Constantly there are opportunities at the grasp of every individual who walks onto this campus. You make it what it is with your time here. If you want to become involved and be apart of this God-loving community, Grand Canyon University is the place to be. It is safe, loving, and ever-growing.

Trey

I had a great experience at GCU. The professors were very interested and committed to our professional development, and the on campus life was vibrant. Everyone is very friendly and there are plenty of groups/clubs to join. The professors at GCU were always available and their mentorship helped me move onto graduate school.

Shailah

The campus is nice and big, there are more buildings being built the food is somewhat good, they have fast food places and mini marts available on campus. The library is kind of small. The classroom size depends on the class, some are small and some have over 50 students.

Zyra

GCU is a wonderful school and has plenty of extracurricular activities. They do sometimes stumble or mess up your credits so you have to keep in contact with your counselor . GCU has provided me many opportunities for jobs and scholarships. Their entrance scholarships are amazing! On campus living is nice if you have the money and are willing to live with at least 3 other people your freshman year. The dorms and apartments are nice and clean .

Joseph

Over the past two years, Grand Canyon University has been expanding. New buildings and facilities are respectfully under construction while school is going on. GCU is nearing a end to it's period of expansion allowing the campus to settle in and start to thrive. I like GCU more and more each day as I learn more about my major and get along with my professors. I beginning to find time for GCU's theatre, and besides having good grades my participation in plays is another way of me giving back to the school. Even though I lost my academic scholarship I will work to remain a student at GCU, and it is a welcoming university that allows me to do this.

Ariel

I visited GCU in January and I was sad when I left. I wanted to stay longer. It felt like home away from home. The people there are nice and the basketball game was so much fun. I'm very very very excited to attend there in less than 3 weeks and the next 4 years.

DaWon

I have learned that Grand Canyon University is a college that brings the best out in its students, faculty, and those who are influenced by our motto, "Find your purpose". Grand Canyon University is a Private Christian College but religion is not forced upon its students, and the college allows students to choose if they want God in their life. When the idea of academics comes about, I can say class sizes are relatively small and professors take the time out to teach. Having a small class size allows the professors to provide specialized attention for their student every class session. Also, majority of class assignments are turned in electronically and the Grand Canyon website for students rarely shuts down and or needs maintenance, so submitting class work is never an issue. I have lived on campus for the past two years in two different dorms and the dorms are really nice. Majority of the dorms have been built in the past three years so they are flawless and are completely safe to live in. Dorms do not have kitchens, only apartments have kitchens and this would seem to be a concern for those who live in the dorms on campus. The truth is that food on campus is nutritional and affordable, also the food court provides a variety of selections. Lastly, campus life on Grand Canyon University provides their students with life changing experiences that cannot be found anywhere else. For example the excitement that comes along with basketball season or the unity of the student lead organization, " The Havocs" . There are endless positive opportunities that can be found on Grand Canyon Campus life, but my favorite aspect is that the student body is extremely diverse. The past two years i have been attending Grand Canyon University is has been growing and improving everything, this up coming fall I will be starting my third year and I know it will be even better than last year. I would recommend Grand Canyon University to any High school senior who is willing to be all they can be and find their purpose in life.

Wayne

Having come from Catholic School I selected GCU because of the ability for students to lead in a significant way on campus, their commitment to outreach domestic and abroad, and the ability to be a part of a developing STEM program. The professors are very passionate about what they do here and the relatively small nature of the college allows the opportunity to connect on a personal level.

Thomas

I was an online student. I didn't have a need to visit the campus, but I did live close. The quality of education was good, but it is highly religious. It is a Christian oriented college, which is not a secret when you apply. The logo even has a cross on it. What is shocking is how much Christianity is prevalent. There is supposed to be a separation of church and state, and when I am paying $50,000 for my education, I don't want to have someone else's religious values being waved in my face. GCU was once a private school, but it is no longer that way. Someone needs to let the staff know that it isn't right to chastise a student for not having the same religious view point.

Lexus Ann Marie

GCU is a great place for all types of people to learn in a safe, energetic, fun and academic way. There is a place for literally everyone. Even if you are an atheist, you are welcomed and loved on campus. The campus offers so many opportunities to travel, help others, excersice, eat, have fun, join a community and so many more things. It is honestly the best school that I could have picked. Not to mention is is affordable.

Trevor

I believe that Grand Canyon University is an amazing college that provides exemplary opportunities for all of its students within their careers as well as in public service. I cannot emphasis my gratitude towards Grand Canyon enough; it is a truly awesome campus that is diverse in all its aspects which creates an environment that is conducive for both learning and growing.

Cadyn

idk havent been there

Shawn N Anna

I just wanted to say that I am very disappointed in GCU. This will probably get deleted, but maybe someone from GCU will read this. I was told that I had to pay $150 to graduate. I get that, if that is the fee for graduation, which I thought meant the whole walking thing. However, I did not expect that they would refuse, after I did complete their program, to even put on my transcripts that I had graduated with a Bachelor (even though I did). So, because of that, the department of education will not issue me my certification until I have that I graduated with a Bachelor on my official transcripts. I earned that. I earned it and yet it will not be on there until after I pay an extra $150. I do not have $150 and I am not sure how I will get it, but I will have to find it to get my certification that I worked to get for hours and hours and hours. I have three kids and a disabled husband and a "Christian" university is telling me that they will not, no, they WILL NOT put that I earned a Bachelor from their school because I do not have the $150 to pay for them to type that on there. Because that apparently costs $150, to have that put on my transcripts. I will not be walking, I didn't plan on walking, I just wanted what I thought I had earned. I will not recommend this school as a Christian university because that is not the Christian thing to do. I am saddened, heartbroken, and ashamed to tell others that GCU is a Christian university. They may say they are, they may walk the walk and play the music, but this, THIS is NOT the Christian thing to do. I have looked around and spoken to multiple teachers and not one, NOT ONE, had this happen to them. They did not have to pay for their own transcripts to say what they had earned and already paid for, namely all their classes. I will not recommend this school now or in the future unless this is made right. This is wrong. It is just plain wrong. As far as the actual education, GCU was not the first college I attended so I do have a comparison. There is little to no difference. I had awesome instructors, and I also had so so instructors with a bad one thrown in. This happened in the community college and also another university I had attended. After speaking with several other colleagues the result is about the same. Not much difference. Just be prepared to have the $150 just to get the very thing you earned on your transcripts, because apparently you did not actually earn it until after that $150.

Alyssa

As a transfer student, GCU feels more like home than any other campus. I felt an immediate connection and I can't imagine attending anywhere else!

Julianne

Grand Canyon University is so far one of the best schools to go to if you want to complete your education online. They have many resources to help you achieve and complete your degree. You have a big support group who follow up with you with your assignments. Questions are answered in a timely manner. This is a wonderful school.

Allyssa

Honestly, and I don’t mean to hash on other colleges in the area but I do firmly believe that Grand Canyon was the best choice for me. The campus is beautiful and full of life, and students here get involved and its hard not to smile or laugh with them when you pass by their event booths. The only thing that sometimes is a bother is all the construction, but besides that point, the campus is always expanding and new features are always popping up making the campus look even nicer. The people here are friendly and we’ve definitely got tons of school spirit to go around. When I don’t work, I try to make it to the basketball games to support the team and to show my havoc Lopes side, and get the crowd up and cheering! The academic side of Grand Canyon is always growing, and all of the teachers I have had this far have been inspirational and helpful in every way. I learn at least one new thing every time I go to class, and come out of it with tons of great teacher stories most times. I’m not the most social person, but the friends I have made here are super fun and caring; as are most of the people here on campus. Personally I fell in love with Grand Canyon when I first toured here and I don’t think any other campus can compare to it. I hear other stories from friends at other colleges, and not all of them are happy, and it makes me feel even more at home here at Grand Canyon. I couldn’t ask for a better college. Go Lopes!

Ebony

Grand Canyon is a good college overall and I recommend it to others also.

Jackie

Grand Canyon University is a great college to attend. It has great history and is still continuing to expand. GCU is based off of Christian beliefs, but respects other cultures and beliefs of students that attend the college. Their campus is very inviting and the people are very nice and helpful.

Reilly

GCU is overall a school I would recommend minus a few factors. The school is more focused on money and their reputation, rather than the student body. They often are asking for money for shirts, class, housing, fines, being late, etc. It gets absurd to see how much money this university asks for. The housing situations are on such a tight lock down that you do not feel that you are on your own. There is always a hawk watching over you that takes from you enjoying your time out of your parents' house. Minus this, I do genuinely enjoy my time at GCU. The surrounding area is unsafe and filled with crime, but being on campus ensures safety. GCU professors also seem to care for their students and do the best to their ability to make sure they have the best education. Final say: university heads are about money, students are there for one another throughout the journey.

Jalia

Grand Canyon University is such a wonderful school with amazing people. The classes can be challenging, but as long as you reach out for help, anything can be accomplished. The only downfall is the tuition. It is pretty high and getting an on-campus job is tough, and getting a job off- campus is risky.

candyce

Grand cayon may be a school that i will put on my college list after i graduate from highscool