Grand Canyon University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Grand Canyon University

Hope

Grand Canyon is a diverse family community. It's goal is to bring people with common goals and interest together while offering an affordable quality education. It is phenomenal how much it has grown to address the growing academic and extracurricular interests.

Mariah

Grand Canyon University is a school for a particular group of people. Since Grand Canyon University is a Christian College, the students who attend have to be big into faith to find themselves at home. Personally, Grand Canyon University is only a place I go to get an education. I do not attend to school to find my place just use it as a stepping stone for the rest of my life and career.

Laura

Lopes Up! Purple Rage, Havocs Pride, Canyon Hall and movies on the lawn. Grand Canyon Universtiy has encompassed a secure environment of purple pride and academic success honed to each individual student. You get whatever you give and GCU has a lot to give. Surrounded by on-campus extracurricular activities full of thriving students and professors. It has been a phenomenal experience for someone who didn't get to live on campus it still felt like I was a part of the purple antelope family!

Renee

Grand Canyon University overall is a great school, that does anything they can to accommodate it's students. The staff/faculty, that I have worked with, have been so helpful and never seem to get annoyed when asked questions. The student life is great, people are very positive and nice to everyone around them.

This is a Christian University; there are usually prayer request areas and devotions for most of the online classes. There are many extracurricular activities, and even church services on campus. I actually am an online student, but based my score for the on campus items by reviewing the student portal.

Caitlynn

The worst part of the college is that the policies aren't very clear regarding AP and Dual Enrollment classes as well as their funding. It can be very hard to discover what you actually have to do in order to get everything done that you have to in order to be enrolled or even to just get into classes. It is really hard to get credit for the work that you have already done.

shayla

My opinion of Grand Canyon University, is a great one!! If your looking for a university, where you can further your career and continue learning about God. This is the school for you!! They offer online classes as well. It is a beautiful campus, located in a beautiful state. The staff and faculty are very nice and helpful. You can always reach out to them by phone call or emails. They have great resources too, for the students.

Olivia

The decision that I made to attend Grand Canyon University was the best decision of my life because I have made life time friends and family who cares about my education and wants to see me succeed in life so thank you gcu for everything, thank you god

Ariel

I love the Christian, euphoric vibe that is spread all over campus. The staff is helpful and activities around campus are fun. Great food options. The school is affordable and the students are very driven and motivated for success. GCU is phenomenal.

Nikki

I love GCU because the community is incredible and basketball games are the best! Joining the Havocs student section is the best thing a GCU student can do! While I love the environment, I feel like I haven't been getting the education I am paying for. As a film student, I feel like the arts are definitely not a priority at GCU.

Selena

At Grand Canyon University I feel absolutely safe. The environment is so welcoming and students are very kind to one another. We engage in many different conversations and many of it is intellectual! I have learned so much from my peers and professors and I could not even thank them enough. At GCU I feel at home and my faith has strengthened quite a bit! I love the dorms and would love to stay there but it's just not in my budget, although it isn't too pricey. As a commuter I am often remembered more than I had initially imagined. Since the school isn't as large the students are able to be more familiar with one another. There are many events to attend throughout the semester at GCU and I can say that there wasn't a day where I was bored! I even met my love here. Thank you for the privilege, I am so lucky and blessed to be a student at Grand Canyon University. I hope everyone finds their experience to be just as exciting.

Crimson

Grand Canyon is a relatively new campus that has very high tech programs which is very rare for a christian orientated college. It also has top notch sports facilities with many obscure sports. One bad problem about it is that it is in the bad side of Phoenix, AZ if it were not for the security gate, many drunks would be able to get onto campus. As of such, it is best to stay on campus, though that is not a problem because they have a pretty good accommodations.

Riley

It is a fantastic school. It has provided me with lots of opportunity for success and growth and the professors are very hardworking at this school. The campus is really nice too and it is overall a great school to go to, i would highly recommend it to anyone interested.

Grand Canyon University is a great place to attend school with a very welcoming campus. The campus life is astounding and you are constantly finding kindhearted people everywhere. The dorms and food are awesome. I am overly proud and happy to call myself a Lope! Lopes up baby!

Kaela

I enjoy attending this school because of the opportunities it presents and the people I meet. At Grand Canyon University you are never bored there are always activities to participate in around campus. And the campus life is amazing everyone is friendly and looking to be friends with you. It is easy to start a conversation with a stranger and too start a friendship with them.

Kayleb

The school is very new, lots over great students and people that around the campus area. There are lots of out of school activities and campus opportunities to be a part of. Overall the campus environment is very well going and school area is great to be part of.

Zabdi

The school overall is great. The price for the schooling is great if you get Financial Aid from the government, if you don't than that's going to be a problem for you. The safe is great just the counselor are sometimes difficult to get in contact to and resolve any problems you have.

Sky

Grand Canyon University is an overall good university to be enrolled in. They have several opportunities for their students to excel academically and socially. GCU is a primarily Christian university but accepts all types of religions. They are very considerate if you have religious events that prohibit you from attending class on a certain day as long as have some form of proof for that event. The faculty and staff take every measure possible to make sure that their students get the help that they need in their classes. And if you need help outside of the classroom, there are several options a student can take that are available on campus. GCU is also a closed campus that has 24/7 security at every entrance, so that their students can feel safe. They also have convenience stores on campus so that their students have the option to get the supplies that they need without having to leave the school campus.

Julie

I like the online classes but they are very expensive for my family and I to afford. My husband is disabled and I am the sole bread-winner for the family. I need scholarships to continue, as I am a 7 year breast cancer survivor. I am struggling to do classes at night after a full time job of 40 hours a week. I also have to drive 2 hours to work going and coming each day. So the online classes are good in that I am able to do the homework after hours of work, but it still doesn't leave me much time to do homework. The teachers need a better tutoring system for older students like myself in their 50's.

Micca

Grand Canyon University has truly become my home away from home. Before starting college here, I was quite nervous about being on my own in a new state. Despite my fears, I chose to attend this university. I immediately felt so comfortable and involved due to the many campus events that occur throughout the week. Whether it's being a part of our student section that has been recognized internationally, studying by the pool, or being involved in class, I have zero regrets coming to this school. GCU truly represents a place where students can find their purpose. It may sound cliché, but it is certainly a true statement. I personally found my purpose and am now pursuing it in nursing school. Nursing school is very difficult, but the strong staff availability helps the experience run much more smooth. I am so excited for my future that was greatly influenced by my college experience. The future is extra bright thanks to Grand Canyon University.

Grand canyon university is a great choice financially, spiritually, and academically. Financially, GCU is very affordable! Many people can never think of attending a private college, but GCU makes that happen. Spiritually, there are many events and chapels on campus that allow a student to keep their spiritual lives on track. Grand Canyon University does a great job of not forcing any kind of spirituality on to the students that attend here, it is the students own choice. Academically, GCU has small class sizes which creates a better learning environment. The professors are very friendly and are willing to help any student at all times. Grand Canyon is a great university, and I am so glad that I chose this college. Go lopes!

Lucas

I feel that GCU is an excellent place for academic learning. GCU, genuinely cares for their students, and intends for them to do well and succeed in every way possible. Grand Canyon University also has several ways to help a student academically and personally. For example, the learning center, writing center, and the spiritual life center are all sources that people can use to be academically successful and personally successful. Therefore, I find that GCU is an excellent university that properly cares for their students and wants their students to succeed.

Stephen

I believe that I made the right decision when I chose to attend GCU. It's affordable, safe, clean, and great. The class sizes are never to big, but not too small (about 20-26 students per class usually) and the professors are always available. Probably my favorite thing about GCU is that the semesters are only 4 months long, which gives me a longer summer to work on my skill building or get a job and save up money.

Normanie

I believe Grand Canyon has a good atmosphere! I love the attitude of a lot of the students and you feel right at home

Celes

Grand Canyon University is a private Christian University. I love Grand Canyon University because of it's originality, academic heritage, academic integrity, a growth of professional business professors, different Christan Faiths, the ability to witness my own faith as a Christan and the widespread environment of a Christian atmosphere.

Indira

My overall opinion of Grand Canyon University is that it's the best environment to be in. Everyone is kind, generous, honest, supportive, and helpful. The professors and staff do a great job of leading students toward success. There is a wide variety of clubs, athletics, and other groups to be a part of at Grand Canyon University. There is no better way to come to school with a smile and love for the school you attend. I love that I have an opportunity to study what I have an interest in (Behavioral Science). I am satisfied with what Grand Canyon University has to offer to all of the students and staff. I am proud to be attending this university with some of the nicest people I have met. I love that Grand Canyon is a Chrsitian atmosphere. I have the opportunity to attend Chapel every week and meet people who have the same interests as I do.

Melessa

I adore GCU and the way they catch my attention for their culture and games. The religion is very relatable and valuable for me especially since i am wanting to attend GCU, also the spirit the students show is very impressive and outgoing because i am very outgoing for myself and i am definitely looking forward to enjoying that every friday night.

Erin

I love the atmosphere of this school. The professors are very involved and care about the success of each and every student. The counselors are very involved too! They are professional and answer any questions you may have about classes, tutoring and such. I love attending this university, they have really welcomed me.

georgina

I love attending Grand Canyon University. Almost every week on Friday's there is some type of activity to do, every thursday is karaoke night, and every sporting event is always a blast. The people are extremely kind and helpful whenever you need it. I wouldn't have picked any other school to attend. There is such a diverse community and there are always events to bring the whole campus together to make it feel like one big family.

Sara

Grand Canyon University is a welcoming campus to all students. Grand Canyon does their best to not single out anyone. ASGCU provides both on campus and commuter students the opportunity to meet with mixers, as well as other planned events such as movies on the lawn, sunset yoga and DJ events. Each dorm is a welcoming community, and each dorm offers a monthly event for the dorm community to come together.

Lilia

I am extremely blessed to have been accepted into GCU. The entire faculty are amazing and always willing to work with you. I am employed with a CPA firm and was busy during the tax season. My professor was willing to work with me. I need to get my degree in order to move up the ladder at work

Kimberly

I have just enrolled as a graduate student, but my daughter is a sophomore, living on campus. I am extremely happy with everything about Grand Canyon University. It is a very safe, fun campus, and the education she is receiving is wonderful. I am looking very forward to getting my masters online through GCU. Go Lopes!

Rebecka

I think it is growing very fast and that is both a positive and negative thing. On one hand they are getting bigger and gaining resources but on the other they can't keep up well enough with the students they already have. I think it has a lot of potential but room for positive changes as well.

Kyli

Grand Canyon University has such a beautiful campus, and what made me choose to attend this school out of others was the vibrant and welcoming community. There is truly no other school that is faith-based in the education it provides to students, as well as the multitude of opportunities and benefits for commuter students, teachers, student veterans, and the amount of on-ground campus jobs available for all full-time students. The campus is clean, big, and houses countless events that range from sporting events, to family weekends, to concerts, and even classes for younger generation students. There is nothing that Grand Canyon University does not already provide for its students, faculty, and staff to ensure that this is a university you want to be a part of in making your dream career or occupation come true!

Shawn

Grand Canyun University of Phoenix Arizona has helped me further my pursue in education very easily. Working with the professors and school councilors are able to be done with ease. This college motivates me daily to pursue my goal in education. I’m very exuberant and ready to attend class attending GCU! I couldn’t have asked for a more helpful guidance councilor Mrs. Molly Dunbar, she has helped me with everything and has done everything in her power to keep me motivated for school. I highly recommend this college.

Alayah

Grand Canyon University is an amazing school with a beautiful campus. Everyone is very friendly, professors are always accessible, and the class sizes are not enormous. The dorms are very nice and cozy. The campus also has a variety of on campus food options and a cafeteria. All of the students are involved and they have the best student section in the nation. Grand Canyon University is a wonderful campus with great academics and awesome fine arts programs!

Inga

I need to be clear that this applies to ONLINE only. I'm not sure about the actual campus. That being said, GCU only cares about getting your money. I applied and was accepted the same day without ever having to actually submit my undergraduate transcripts. I also started my first class less than a week after I was accepted. In hindsight, that should have been some serious red flags. Upon starting my first class, which was an education major, there were documentation that was required to be submitted. Our professor was quite clear that he did not know how to obtain the Field Experience Form (again REQUIRED for this class), nor how to submit it to the university, but he just knew that we needed to submit the confirmation email that we should get to him for class credit. He could not even tell us where to go to ask about this form. The actual information that he had was completely outdated and talked about submitting it via a web portal that was no longer used. Great. Discussion boards posts are due on Saturdays and Mondays with a short paper or PowerPoint presentation are due on Wednesdays. For every week. For every class. This never changes. The term "discussion" board is used very loosely because the questions generally have nothing conversational about them. "According to the book, what are the three main facets of education?" (Not a real question, but an example of what you might run across.) So then you have 30 answers that are all the same, but you are required to comment an intelligent, 100 word reply to three different posts. What made me decide that I was truly wasting money was when I took POS 500, which is a class about general and education laws. Our first discussion board question was about the Race to the Top, which ended it's funding in 2015. The professor added an amendment to the question but was still required to post the original question. Yes, the question was nearly TWO YEARS outdated! Luckily, GCU employs professors that seem to know their stuff. GCU Online is really for people that are already in their chosen profession and do not actually need to learn but rather just get the piece of paper that tells others that they know it.

Alissa

Grand Canyon University has a beautiful campus, generous scholarship opportunities, and an abundance of students ready to welcome and embrace new students. That being said, if you want a college where you can stay unnoticed in the crowd, GCU may not be the best option. Grand Canyon University is a great university for students who may not feel entirely independent just yet. Although there is plenty to do, GCU does not have that authentic, raw "college experience" that most people are looking for. The nice dorms, constant construction, and well lit campus make it feel as though you are at an extremely long youth group camp, rather than at a university.

Nathan

Where I am Planning on Going to School? In May of 2018 we had a senior meeting to discuss our upcoming senior year. My mother and I left this meeting feeling confused and frustrated. My mother said on the way home you should consider Grand Canyon University- I said no way. She said with a smile “Pray about it.” I did. I started my summer year and I received many requests to visit various schools I did. None of them gave me inner peace I felt like I was missing something. In September of my Senior year one week into school I was approached by Mr. Wade counselor for Grand Canyon University. We meet with him. He explained the class sizes no more than 80 students, and most are 25. He told me about the praise and worship services, and Christian environment. I watched several chapel services on line, and I was sold. To go to a Christian University, and to develop a deeper relationship with Christ while getting my college degree. Is a answered prayer for me. I plan on attending Grand Canyon University in Phoenix Arizona. My decision is based on three main factors Christian Education, Class Size, and cost.

There are both pros and cons to GCU. To prospective students, I would say that it is necessary to step on campus to decide if it would be a good fit. For myself, GCU was the "safe option". In theory, I would've preferred to go out of state, and to be candid I sincerely miss having a stove. However, campus life is great, food is pretty solid for a campus, and I have already begun to make the kind of friends that I know will last a lifetime.

Alison

I love GCU, the culture and atmosphere is so welcoming and encouraging. Students and professors come out of the woodwork to be helpful and supportive. While the founding is Christian based no one is ever forced to participate but are encouraged to and are always welcome. The professors are very supportive and I believe that is in part due to the smaller class sizes in which most professors will be able to learn all of their students names and show true interest in them. There are so many opportunities to get involved in both the community of GCU as well as the surrounding city of Phoenix. Campus apartment living is the best option in my opinion. Most facilities are new and modern and offer a break from the limited food options on campus. Sports and clubs are everywhere, from larping to D1 sports you are sure to find your niche. And once you are there you have to get into the arena for a basketball game. The Havocs put on the biggest party in college basketball and it is an atmosphere unlike anywhere else.

Elaina

I have learned so much at Grand Canyon University. I absolutely love it and I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to learn more about the Lord and more about themselves! The students and faculty are so kind, and there are so many opportunities for students to get involved on campus, which magnifies the college experience.

Savannah

They are a safe campus, great professors (from what I have experienced), and semi-good food options but they are becoming more healthier as times goes on. Housing is growing because GCUis becoming more popular, the campus is always lively and events are constantly going on.

Marylyn

GCU is a home away from home. It’s private, Christian, and affordable, and the environment on campus is extremely welcoming and friendly. There’s always a gentleman to be found opening the doors for a young lady, and with our energetic student section, the amazing food, awesome dorming, and the people... it’s a great college to be at! Lopes UP!

Geanna

My overall opinion of Grand Canyon University is that it has a Christian environment that is safe for students to be unique and open with their fellow classmates. The students are able to enjoy attending sporting events and are not afraid to cheer on their teammates.​ Grand Canyon has a crazy and fun environment when it comes to sports, and they just make you want to cheer and go to every game.

Yulissa

Overall, I think Grand Canyon University is a great university. It is a bit small but that is what makes it the best. Also, I think that the class sizes are what makes it easier to learn.

Lucia

When I first arrived to Grand Canyon University I was surprised that staff and the students are very welcoming, I am an International Student, and I was happy to meet the International student staff who guided me to enroll on the Honors Program and extracurricular activities. I think Grand Canyon University is a great Christian environment, the activities that they have after school allow me to meet more students and get more real- world experience.

McKenna

The inturucters at GCU are typically available whenever you may need them, whether by texting, emailing, or visiting their office throughout the day. The students on campus are friendly and provide a feeling of comfort wherever you go on campus. In regards to the dorms, the newer dorms are very nice and spacious, Cypress and Canyon Hall are oder and tend to be a bit more cramped in the living room area and the bathroom but the bedrooms are not as tight being that they are double occupancy rather than triple.

Paris

Grand Canyon University has a big and beautiful campus. There are many opportunities for each student that is there. Everyone there is very nice and professional. In addition to its already great qualities, Grand Canyon continues to improve and better its campus and students life.

Shelbey

Grand Canyon University is an amazing school. Everyone seems personal and nice. I love the christian atmosphere! There are tons of scholarships available to students. The dorms and on campus housing are all up to date and nice. On ground professors are knowledgeable and easy to reach!