Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Grand Rapids Community College

Knowing what I know now, I would first of all tell myself to resist starting a bonfire in the backyard to burn all of my old assignments. I have found that previous class work is very helpful. I am in organic chemistry now, and with a not-so-helpful teacher, I feel it'd be impossible to pass without my notes. In high school, teachers often gave us "cheat sheets" with short cuts to difficult problems or simply equations. These would be more than helpful to me right now.

The best thing about my school would have to be the class size. Smaller classes make it very easy to ask questions and get help when it's needed. The teachers here are more focused on helping the students comprehend the material, rather than simply lecturing. If I don't understand a concept, I feel confident here at GRCC that my teacher will explain it to me. The teachers know everyone's names in their class and keep track of their progress. This assest has made the transition to college very smooth.

The most frustrating thing about GRCC would have to be the parking. We have only two parking ramps for students to use, and they are full every day around 9am. This causes ridiculous traffic around campus and makes it nearly impossible to drive any where. On an average morning, I can find myself waiting to park for at least an hour. There are too many students and not enought parking. It certainly makes me feel very stressed in the mornings, which is not a great way to start of a day packed with classes.

Vincent

They are known for their continuing education programs, their award winning culinary arts program as well as their criminal justice/police academy.

I would tel l myself to take more college prepatory classes and concentrate on technology. I would make sure I learned proper note taking and study habits. I would want to make sure I applied early for financial aid and spent more time learning to manage my finances to enable me to be successful in college the first time. I would advise myself to not only concentrate on advanced computer technologies but to double major in business management to be more successful in the business world, and to not give up until I completed at least a Masters Degree as that seems to be what everyone wants in their employees in the computer field.

This is a good place for students who may not have the available funds for a traditional 4 year univ ersity to get started on their education as it is relatively low cost. It is also a very good place for students returning to school to further their education after not having been in school for an extended period.

Trenton

My current school is a very good place to start the higher level education journey. So far it has done well in preparing me to transfer to a university.

I would tell myself to look for scholarships a lot harder than I did. I was serious about my grades, but I had no interest in searching for money to go to school. The expenses are real and they can prevent you from continuing your education if you do not have them covered.

The worst thing about my school is that some of it's classes are located in different parts of town and in some cases different cities.

Zachary

Senior year was great! I loved playing football , home coming, prom and sporting events. We were the top dogs! The class of 2009 ! I did OK in my classes . I should have listened to my teachers and parents and tried a little harder. I was so caught up in being a senior that for a while I put other things before school. I should have paid more attention to my advisors and explored my career interests . I know I shouldn't have always tried to sit with my friends in class . I was tempted to talk to them rather then listen to the teacher. I have great friends but I know I would have done better if I had made better choices. I watched as my friends chose their colleges and what they would study. That was my wake up call. I met with my counselor and explored my options. I chose GRCC. I raised my GPA to 2.2 in two months. My advice to myself , pay attention everyday to everything ! I discovered I love cooking and was lucky enough to get into the Culinary Program at GRCC. I get to school early and put everything into my education !

Over all I really enjoy GRCC. I think two year colleges like GRCC are often precieved us "super high school" by some of the students. First year students are so excited about finally being done with high school and being in college they often miss how different college is from high school,. I found this out first hand first semister. Just because it's a smaller campus and you probably know lots of the students it's still college . You are in control of your own success. Take charge of your own education and seek every resource available to you!

I have finally discovered what my passion is.,cooking! I was excepted in the Culinary Arts Program at GRCC. It is one of the most highly respected programs of it's kind. I feel so fortunate to have been excepted. It is much more expensive then just going for my associates , but it's what I want to do so I know I will do well. I am so impressed with my instructors and the chefs in the program. I wish I could take more classes .Hopefully I will get a scholarship ! I am proud to be in this program.

Long

I would advise my past self to study harder, longer, and do better in the ACT tests to get scholarships to pay for college tuition. There is one thing especially I should warn to my past self is NEVER UNDERESTIMATE ANY CLASS THAT YOU TAKE IN COLLEGE NO MATTER HOW EASY IT SOUNDS, LOOKS, OR FEELS IT'S OK TO SLACK OFF, DO NOT PROCRASTINATE, HIT everything assignment, H.W., project, quiz/test with a bullseye (meaning ace everything to get A's). College is a whole another playing field compared to high school and even more insult to injury is you'll be paying for taking those classes. Therefore, you got one chance to obtain A's in your classes to save money. If not, it'll be trial and error that'll will hurt your college GPA A LOT!!!! making it difficult to transfer to other colleges that require at least a mininum GPA of 3.5.

anyone who wants to pass classes that are more expensive at their college so take them at GRCC for cheaper to save money.

it's cheap tuition, very close to people who live in Grand Rapids (Kent County), some strict, but also there exist some really likeable funny teachers that making learning their classes better.

Kari

That college is not an impossible feat to accomplish, and you should not fear failure. If you take each assignment individually and apply yourself you will succeed. You can do this, and do it well. You are intelligent and disciplined in spite what you may think about being homeschooled through high school. You have an unnecessary fear of being in a classroom with students and a professor because you don't know what to expect, but trust me, the peers around you are dealing with similar assignments and class schedules just like you. If you choose to attend college directly after highschool instead of waiting eight years, it will be that much sooner before you will have the security of a career and income that you desire.

The best thing are the professors. They are the ones that will equip the students to succeed in their chosen career path. GRCC staff try hard to live up the the standard of one of the top community colleges in Michigan and Ithink that the professors are some of the best educators. I always enjoy going to class because I feel my time is being well used.

Grand Rapids Community College is rated one of the top community colleges in Michigan. The campus is centrally located in downtown Grand Rapids and is walking distance from local shops and restaurants. The professors are quality educators and willing to take the time to meet with students for further assistance. In the two years I have attended this school there has only been one professor that was lacking. When I contacted the head of the department they were willing to listen to my concerns and made me feel as though I had a voice.

Rebeka

My classmates are all differnt, coming from differnt backgrouds and all have their own opinions, but we all help each other out and learn from each other, not just acedemiclly but we learn how to respect differnt points of views and what our job will be like if we have somebody that is like our class mate.

If i could go back in time i would not change what i did but i would want to be smarter about some of the choices i made. I could be smarter by telling myself what i know now. That is i wish i would have tried harder like i do now in college. I would have also told myself that i am worth the time and i should never let anybody get in my way. I would say that everybody gets nervous about something you just need to be nervous for a minute and then let it all go. I would have told myself that it's like talking in front of a big crowd, when you'r backstage pace, get nervous. Once you get in front of the crowd show no weakness, even thought you may be nervous let it go and let the spotlight shine on you. Embrace what you have and dont take anything you have for granted. Its all been said before but it all works. Everyperson that has said something important has made it big so trust in them and most of all trust in yourself.

I think the best thing about Grand Reapids Coummunity College is that you get help not just from class mates but from professors and from tutors. I beleieve that GRCC helps you out more then any other 4 year colleg does. The give you more options, from transfer to startinhg a career after two years of study.

I would have told myself to be more outgoing and to try a lot harder in my art classes. Also, to apply for more scholarships. I would have tried being more outgoing because I came into college being really shy, and it took me about half a year to break out of that. If I would have started being more outgoing in high school, I would have probably made more friends right away and participated more in class. I would have tried harder in art classes so that I don't suck at drawing right now. Knowing all different types of art forms comes in handy at Kendall, because you need to take drawing and painting and printmaking as well, even though my major is photography. And since I didn't apply for more scholarships, I'm making up for it now and filling this out so I have a chance at getting more money. Kendall is not cheap and every little bit counts! I would greatly appreciate it if you would consider me for this scholarship, even though Kendall was not on the list of schools. Thank you!

The school I actually attend is Kendall College of Art and Design, but it wasn't on the list. So, I think the type of person who should attend this school is an artistic student. Someone who loves having the freedom to create what they want. Someone who loves small class sizes and fun teachers. I love everything about Kendall and I know that anyone who wanted a degree in art would love going here!

My friends are always jealous because I know so many people from my school. Since our class sizes are so small, I've had classes with almost all of the sophomores in my school and I know everyone. I love it because not only does that make great connections, but it makes school more fun and enjoyable. I also brag about how we don't have to take a ton of general education classes. The classes we take are really only related to our major, which saves lots of money!

Morgan

Going to college is hard work and it takes more dedication than you think. Take school seriously, buckle down and stay focused. Rid your life of distractions. Stay on top of your studies, finances, and social life. Find a good balance in all you do. Most importantly, remember this is what is preparing you for your future, so don't ever give up on learning.

Anyone! There is room for all shapes, sizes, colors and personalities. The more variety the better!

It's convienent, and for the first time ever, I enjoy school. It's hands on learning!

Heather

I don't really know them yet; like I said I'm new; but I think they would be good poeple to get to know.

I would tell myself to think it through: what I want to do; where I want to go; just because your dead-set on a certain thing doesn't mean you should close your mind off to other options. Sometimes the first choice isn't always the right one; sometimes the second or third option is the best. Also when choosing a major look at all your options; the first one might seem like it gives you everything; but there are other ones that can be just as fulfiiling, and they might give you better opportunities. When making your decisions about schools and majors just remember to check out every opportunity and that they don't have to be what you originally planned; they just have to "fit" ; if you do that then you'll find the right one.

I don't know; maybe those who don't want to go to a community college. If someone wants to attend this school they schould; I'm a new student but I know that it's a fairly good school with a fair amount of academic and extra-curricular opportunities and it's a great place to start your college experience (if you choose a transfer program.)

Grand Rapids Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.