Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Grand Rapids Community College

katelin

My classmates were very diverse in their ethnicity and cultures.

My classmates were very diverse in their ethnicity and cultures.

Honestly, there isn't really anything I would tell myself. As a High School Senior I was already taking so many college classes as well as taking classes outside of High School to be an Emergency Medical Technition that I didn't have much of a normal Senior year. I was looking past High School and tried taking as many opportunites as possible to set me up for college. I was already use to the work load. On top of the College and EMT classes I was also very involved in church and worked. I already knew what it was like to balance multiple things at once. In fact, having to still be in High School was more a nuisence. So once I graduated nothing really changed for me. Because I set my self up so well my Senior year, the transition into college was so much easier for me than my peers. I knew what it was like to already have many responsiblites and how to balance them.

Kristyn

The most important piece of advice for you is this: Don't stress out about the coming changes. The coming changes will be fun and enjoyable, more so than you think at the moment! The challenges will be beneficial for you to grow in your character and your knowledge, better equipping you for the days ahead. While you will enjoy the learning, the second piece of advice is this: there will be a fair amount of homework. In order to academically excel, you will need to put a lot of time into your studies. While this advice seems to contradict, both parts are necessary for you to be prepared and to succeed in this transition and in the transitions to come.

Overall great professors, because they provide a great learning environment.

Emilee

Most of them simply want to do the miminal amount of work possible to pass the class and are not particularly interested in learning.

Ask for help. College is complicated and hard, and even more daunting if you try to figure everything out yourself. Advisors and professors know how to maneuver college life, and they are there to help you. Be in constant communication with your advisor, and ask him all the questions you have, no matter how silly they seem. Make sure you understand your schedule and payments for your classes. Through your advisor, explore all the possibilities for financial aid and scholarships. Even if you don't have any questions, meet with your advisor regularly, just to ensure that you are on the right track. Similarly, talk with your professors frequently. Meet with them after class, or go to their office during office hours. Have them help with assignments that you are confused about, or anything else that you need help with. Even the other students can help. If possible, talk with more experienced students than yourself and ask for their advice. Just keep asking questions; keep asking for help. College is rough, but there are loads of people out there who know exactly how to handle it. You just have to utilize their knowledge.

Victor

Caring is the word because they really care about their students they really want you to succeed in life and they want you to be successful so I am really thankful to be apart of such a great school. I wasn't sure how I felt about the school but the people who work there are so nice and helpful and I hope that doesnt change at all.

Question I would ask myself would be not to be scared to ask questions since its a new surrounding and huge college ask questions when you don't know where things are and not to be afraid to open up. Another thing I would tell myself is save money because college is expensive and saving money will help so you have to borrow or take out anything. And enjoy it learn as much as you can and meet new people. But make sure you accomplish your goals and dreams.

How to get around as in where certain buildings were and what were in them because when I first started I didnt have a clue where my classes were and then when I needed to go to the fininacial office they told me what building but not where in the building but then eventually I caught on.

Annah

My school is unique because they are a community college, but they offer a huge amount of classes. It is also right downtown in Grand Rapids, which is a very nice city to spend time in. I love being downtown for school.

If I could go back to my high school senior self, I would tell myself a few things. I would say to spend more time with friends, because they will be gone soon and nothing will ever be the same. I would say to apply for more scholarships, because financial aid is only out to get you. I would say to appreciate time with family more, because before you know it, you will be on your own and you will miss them. More advice for my former self would be to call my cousins more. As you age, you tend to forget that your family members also age. My last piece of advice would be to enjoy every single moment of senior year, because even though it sounds cliché, it will be over before you know it.

The worst thing about my school is that there is no sense of community. The student body is hugely divided, and I do not have a single friend on campus. I would really enjoy being able to live at school.

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to not care what anybody thinks of you. In college, I've learned that nobody cares about your popularity. It's all just a high school game. When you get into the real world, does it really matter? Don't think of yourself as too good to talk to certain people. We're all humans, we just choose different ways to present who we are to the world. I would tell myself to study harder, it'll be worth it when you get to college. It might have scored myself a higher ACT score. And most definitely, apply for those scholarships. Nobody really understands how beneficial they really are. It's the effort and lack of motivation that people don't want to put into them. If I had that chance, I would redo my whole senior year of high school knowing what I know now. All that time we fought to be better than one another wasn't worth it. Being higher up on the popularity scale didn't mean anything. It's what you make of your life in college now that's important.

I wish I had know that there was the lakeshore campus. I didn't know right at the beginning, but after I figured it out i've been scheduling all my classes there.

Really there is nobody who shouldn't attend this school if they aren't prepared for college and want to pursue a degree.

My school is unique and you get so much more knowledge for your buck than you think you will when you first apply.

If I could talk to my former high school self, I would tell her: "Stop worrying so much about planning your future and just live it." I was so focused on the one thing I had wanted to do my entire life that I never stopped to think it might not end up being what I actually went to school for. If I had known then that I would go through 3 majors and 3 different colleges by my junior year, maybe I would have focused more on my general education and would have been forced to think about more than one career choice. I had been told that students changed their majors constantly to figure out what they wanted... I just didn't think it would happen to me. My former self couldn't have been more wrong.

I think the best thing about my school is that the professors here are experts in their field and have a lot of really great conncetions to people in the industry. They are knowledgable and teach us really great tricks and tips to further our education even after we've graduated.

shelby

After all is said and done, I would tell myself to just be me, don’t change anything. You are where you are because of where you have been. You will gain confidence because you have been riculed and you will have direction because you have felt lost. People underestimate direction in college, but I have found it will give you the desire to work for your future . High school is a learning experience, don’t forget the lessons you learned there. College will be the same, but once you know who you are, all the rest becomes achieveable. College is going to be really hard at times, but you have made it through harder. I’m not promising that it will be easy, just that it will be worth it.

do not attend this school if you are looking for lots of hands on, interactive learning.

Parking is expensive and can be difficult to find.

Grand Rapids Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.