Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Grand Rapids Community College

Makisha

I would tell myself to trust the advice of those with more life experience than myself at that point. This is because, although I was accepted into what is considered a prestigious Art program at Western Michigan University, I ended up wasting my time and money. All I had in mind was to escape my hometown and to be on my own. I had no idea how complicated college can turn out to be, and I also had no idea how much it would cost me in the long run. I ended up changing my major to several different things, and was still confused until about a year ago. I ended up being over $20,000.00 in debt from loans that I could have prevented by going to a community college in the first place. I came so close to joining the military in order to help pay for my education, but in the end, I realized that it was not for me. There are so many trials I could have avoided if I had stopped to think about the details. Hindsight is always 20/20 and tough to accept, but I intend it to make me wiser.

I wish that I had not tried so quickly to grow up and escape my home town. I had applied to Western Michigan University's college, and I was accepted into their Art School. It is difficult to get into, so I was very excited, but once I began taking classes, I hated it. I spent the next few years wasting money and time in college, when I should have trusted my elders and gone to community college in the first place. I laugh now, but now I am incredibly in debt, and working full time while in college.

I brag that it is in one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited. I have travelled, but I love my school because it is in a city on the river. At night it is gorgeous white lit up, and the day time is nothing less than great as well. The city is conservative, yet open-minded, and I feel safe walking from my home in Heritage Hill to school, and also to downtown. Downtown is always exciting, and everything is a short drive away, including Lake Michigan. You cannot go wrong living in Grand Rapids.

Leslie

My classmates are a very diverse group of people. I thought upon first returning to college that I would be an "outsider" as I am near 40years old. But that is just not the case. There are many people of all ages, of all ethnicities, and all pursuing an education that will help them to have a better life, just like what I am doing. I do not stand out in the crowd, and actually I fit right in and have come to have many friends (of younger and older ages ) that I will have the rest of my life.

Wow, what an opportunity you have in front of you, Congratulations! There are so many choices you have to make that really will affect the rest of your life, and the time to be serious about those decisions is now. If you are not ready or willing to make those decisions, no problem, but be honest with yourself, family, and peers. There is no sense wasting the time and money of so many people involved just because you feel pressured to make decisions. I went to college, a four-year university, many years ago. I had too much fun, made lots of friends, but didn't understand the full opportunity I had before me. I was a pre-med student that dropped out of college. I decided stay in the medical field. Seventeen years later, here I am back and in full pursuit of a medical degree! I stayed in the medical field because it was and remains my passion. You have to find out for yourself what your passion is...don't pursue a degree just because the pay once done is high, you will regret it. Take the time to find your passion, and THEN GO FOR IT!

The cost per credit hour of GRCC is very appealing to me as a single mother of two daughters. I have tried to balance my money coming in with that going out, ans so far it is working, thank you to the low credit hour fee at GRCC. I have also found that the professors at GRCC are genuinely interested in helping the students succeed. Because the class sizes are small, I feel very much a part of the class, and the professors always offer their time to help outside of class or for whatever need the student has.

Ericka

I think that even though it's a community college it has alot of good programs and transfer plans.

I would tell myself to always go above and beyond.I would also say take your SAT and ACT over again and stay focused.Independence is key because you and only you are responsible for grades,life, and money in college.

I would have to say that the most frustrating thing is the two year waiting list to get in the nursing program.

Joshua

My fellow classmates here at Grand Rapids Community College are nice and considerate, they help you if you missed something in a lecture or if you need someone to study with for the upcoming test.

If I were a high school senior the first piece of advice I would give myself is make a plan and figure out ways to stay on track with that plan. High school seniors focus way to much on the dances like homecoming and prom. Don't ever forget to stay focused and keep running on the trail that is life. I am not saying that you shouldn't have fun your senior year. I am simply making a realization that you have to work hard your senior year. Listen to anything your high school teachers are willing to say and do to get you ready for college. I remember my senior English teacher Miss. Koole. She said if you want to go to college dont just do the work understand why and what you want to get out of the work. I realize now what she meant by this. She was saying to her students that reading and writing are easy, however putting the effort forth is a testiment to learning and understanding the material. Have fun your senior year however work hard for it also.

I haven't really ran into any problems here at GRCC yet.

Knowing what I know now, I would first of all tell myself to resist starting a bonfire in the backyard to burn all of my old assignments. I have found that previous class work is very helpful. I am in organic chemistry now, and with a not-so-helpful teacher, I feel it'd be impossible to pass without my notes. In high school, teachers often gave us "cheat sheets" with short cuts to difficult problems or simply equations. These would be more than helpful to me right now.

The best thing about my school would have to be the class size. Smaller classes make it very easy to ask questions and get help when it's needed. The teachers here are more focused on helping the students comprehend the material, rather than simply lecturing. If I don't understand a concept, I feel confident here at GRCC that my teacher will explain it to me. The teachers know everyone's names in their class and keep track of their progress. This assest has made the transition to college very smooth.

The most frustrating thing about GRCC would have to be the parking. We have only two parking ramps for students to use, and they are full every day around 9am. This causes ridiculous traffic around campus and makes it nearly impossible to drive any where. On an average morning, I can find myself waiting to park for at least an hour. There are too many students and not enought parking. It certainly makes me feel very stressed in the mornings, which is not a great way to start of a day packed with classes.

Vincent

They are known for their continuing education programs, their award winning culinary arts program as well as their criminal justice/police academy.

I would tel l myself to take more college prepatory classes and concentrate on technology. I would make sure I learned proper note taking and study habits. I would want to make sure I applied early for financial aid and spent more time learning to manage my finances to enable me to be successful in college the first time. I would advise myself to not only concentrate on advanced computer technologies but to double major in business management to be more successful in the business world, and to not give up until I completed at least a Masters Degree as that seems to be what everyone wants in their employees in the computer field.

This is a good place for students who may not have the available funds for a traditional 4 year univ ersity to get started on their education as it is relatively low cost. It is also a very good place for students returning to school to further their education after not having been in school for an extended period.

Trenton

My current school is a very good place to start the higher level education journey. So far it has done well in preparing me to transfer to a university.

I would tell myself to look for scholarships a lot harder than I did. I was serious about my grades, but I had no interest in searching for money to go to school. The expenses are real and they can prevent you from continuing your education if you do not have them covered.

The worst thing about my school is that some of it's classes are located in different parts of town and in some cases different cities.

Zachary

Senior year was great! I loved playing football , home coming, prom and sporting events. We were the top dogs! The class of 2009 ! I did OK in my classes . I should have listened to my teachers and parents and tried a little harder. I was so caught up in being a senior that for a while I put other things before school. I should have paid more attention to my advisors and explored my career interests . I know I shouldn't have always tried to sit with my friends in class . I was tempted to talk to them rather then listen to the teacher. I have great friends but I know I would have done better if I had made better choices. I watched as my friends chose their colleges and what they would study. That was my wake up call. I met with my counselor and explored my options. I chose GRCC. I raised my GPA to 2.2 in two months. My advice to myself , pay attention everyday to everything ! I discovered I love cooking and was lucky enough to get into the Culinary Program at GRCC. I get to school early and put everything into my education !

Over all I really enjoy GRCC. I think two year colleges like GRCC are often precieved us "super high school" by some of the students. First year students are so excited about finally being done with high school and being in college they often miss how different college is from high school,. I found this out first hand first semister. Just because it's a smaller campus and you probably know lots of the students it's still college . You are in control of your own success. Take charge of your own education and seek every resource available to you!

I have finally discovered what my passion is.,cooking! I was excepted in the Culinary Arts Program at GRCC. It is one of the most highly respected programs of it's kind. I feel so fortunate to have been excepted. It is much more expensive then just going for my associates , but it's what I want to do so I know I will do well. I am so impressed with my instructors and the chefs in the program. I wish I could take more classes .Hopefully I will get a scholarship ! I am proud to be in this program.

Long

I would advise my past self to study harder, longer, and do better in the ACT tests to get scholarships to pay for college tuition. There is one thing especially I should warn to my past self is NEVER UNDERESTIMATE ANY CLASS THAT YOU TAKE IN COLLEGE NO MATTER HOW EASY IT SOUNDS, LOOKS, OR FEELS IT'S OK TO SLACK OFF, DO NOT PROCRASTINATE, HIT everything assignment, H.W., project, quiz/test with a bullseye (meaning ace everything to get A's). College is a whole another playing field compared to high school and even more insult to injury is you'll be paying for taking those classes. Therefore, you got one chance to obtain A's in your classes to save money. If not, it'll be trial and error that'll will hurt your college GPA A LOT!!!! making it difficult to transfer to other colleges that require at least a mininum GPA of 3.5.

anyone who wants to pass classes that are more expensive at their college so take them at GRCC for cheaper to save money.

it's cheap tuition, very close to people who live in Grand Rapids (Kent County), some strict, but also there exist some really likeable funny teachers that making learning their classes better.

Kari

That college is not an impossible feat to accomplish, and you should not fear failure. If you take each assignment individually and apply yourself you will succeed. You can do this, and do it well. You are intelligent and disciplined in spite what you may think about being homeschooled through high school. You have an unnecessary fear of being in a classroom with students and a professor because you don't know what to expect, but trust me, the peers around you are dealing with similar assignments and class schedules just like you. If you choose to attend college directly after highschool instead of waiting eight years, it will be that much sooner before you will have the security of a career and income that you desire.

The best thing are the professors. They are the ones that will equip the students to succeed in their chosen career path. GRCC staff try hard to live up the the standard of one of the top community colleges in Michigan and Ithink that the professors are some of the best educators. I always enjoy going to class because I feel my time is being well used.

Grand Rapids Community College is rated one of the top community colleges in Michigan. The campus is centrally located in downtown Grand Rapids and is walking distance from local shops and restaurants. The professors are quality educators and willing to take the time to meet with students for further assistance. In the two years I have attended this school there has only been one professor that was lacking. When I contacted the head of the department they were willing to listen to my concerns and made me feel as though I had a voice.

Grand Rapids Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.