Grand Rapids Community College

« See more reviews of Grand Rapids Community College

First, I would tell myself that I am about to enter a completely different ball game in college vs high school. There will be many different activities to do and different methods to utilize your time. While these different activities and methods may seem enticing, it is important to focus on a limited number of extracurriculars and put the rest of the focus toward your long term goals, whether they are receiving good grades, networking, or planning how to be the best college student possible. Second, I would tell myself to find a strong mentor immediately. You will need a mentor throughout college to alleviate potential problems that may arise. Your mentor most likely has been through college before or knows how to work the system to save you the pain and unneccessary consequences. Last, I would tell myself to p.l.a.n. This is the name of the game in college. You can graduate with your 4-year degree, but if you do not complete any planning, then you wont be able to apply your knowledge and skills that you learned from your college experience. Planning may include netowrking or even contacting potential future employers well before graduation.

Ask for help. College is complicated and hard, and even more daunting if you try to figure everything out yourself. Advisors and professors know how to maneuver college life, and they are there to help you. Be in constant communication with your advisor, and ask him all the questions you have, no matter how silly they seem. Make sure you understand your schedule and payments for your classes. Through your advisor, explore all the possibilities for financial aid and scholarships. Even if you don't have any questions, meet with your advisor regularly, just to ensure that you are on the right track. Similarly, talk with your professors frequently. Meet with them after class, or go to their office during office hours. Have them help with assignments that you are confused about, or anything else that you need help with. Even the other students can help. If possible, talk with more experienced students than yourself and ask for their advice. Just keep asking questions; keep asking for help. College is rough, but there are loads of people out there who know exactly how to handle it. You just have to utilize their knowledge.

As a high school student going into college the best advice I could give you is to not be afraid of failing. Many obstacles will present themseleves throughout your years not only relating to studies but financial and personal as well. I advise to accept your failures and faults and pride yourself on being able to turn them around. You will make mistakes and it's only natural because were human however, nothing says determination as much as falling down on your knees then getting right back up and running in the race. Know that everything you do is for your future and that because your working towards your own success your the only one who can decide how hard your going to work for it. Remember to take risks for when we takes these risks we learn our weaknesses. Knowing your weaknesses is the greatest piece of motivation, it will allow you to turn those weaknesses in to your strengths. As for the new insight and discoveries that interest you the most be sure to incorporate them into your goals only to enhance them and leave you going in the same direction but with a better expectation for sucess.

College experiences help mold us into the people we are today. I attended school very unsure of who I was and also who I wanted to become in the professional world. Going into my senior year of college I had chosen to become a social worker. I was playing soccer, working, and had a full class load, on top of an internship with Wedgwood Christian Services. I interned with the Summit Program. The focus of the program was Substance Abuse and Co-occurring disorders. During my internship my life began to change in that I knew I wanted to work with high risk teens. I began focusing on learning as much as I could and take in every experience my internship had to offer. I know for a fact today that I would not be the person I am if I had not had the experience and opportunity for this internship. My college experience helped me professionally as well as academically. I strive to help others take full advantage of this experience and push for high risk teens to not let their circumstances determine their futures, but encourage them to take full advantage of the opportunities given to them.

I would tell myself to take a deep breath. Senior year is perhaps one of the most hectic and nerve wracking times of my life, and I'm sure the same can be said for many other Seniors. While Senior year is filled with plenty of fun and excitement, there's also so much pressure I'm surpised so many students make it out alive. Not only must seniors focus on their classes and maintaining their GPA, there's also extracuriculars such as Honor Society, sports, band, and not to mention AP classes along with AP tests at the end of the year. If this pressure isn't enough, then the college application process certainly is. I remember many long nights trying to perfect college application essays, spending hour after hour filling out applications, and trying to determine which college I want to attend, as well as what I want to major in. Senior year is filled with difficult decisions, and can't be taken lightly, but one thing that I didn't do enough of was take a deep breath, and relax. Senior year can be unbearable, unless it's taken step by step, one day at a time.

I have received alot from my college experience being that I am the fist in my generation to attend college, being an older adult andthe youngest lady in my family and wanting too go back to school to further my education to obtain financial stability in a sercure career field to be able to live and enjoy life comfortably for myself and children. my colege experience was a struggle for me becauseI had been out of school for many years prior to me attending college however my experience with very much so an accomplishment being able to show and tell my children that your education is and should be your number one priority in life because with out you won't be able to get very far in life. learning how to use time management, business Etiquette, persoanl financehow to perpare for a interview, team initiative etc. My experience has been vey valuable because I have learned & use from college as well as for my up bringings everyday in my life and will continue to use them everyday of my life in a business setting(career filed) and persoanl aspects of my life.

Dear Nanette, I'm writing to you from my place in time 2010. May you delight in your own wisdom 25 years early. "And now these three things remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Cor. 13 1. Have faith in yourself, certainly in God, but also in people. Continue to believe that all people are basically good. Trust them, commune with them, show them grace and mercy just as you are shown. 2. Continue to hope in a future where good continues to triumph over evil. Be an active participant in the battle. 3. Love all others. Love those who let you down, who live with different sets of values, who don't love you. Hold tight to what you know is right; stand for the weak, give voice for the oppressed. Love your creator, recognize Her and respond. And love yourself, always freely accepting the grace and forgiveness given you. You won't do this perfectly. That's alright. Perfection is never required, it is a burden you've chosen to carry. Drop it immediately. Don't let your momentum wane. Move forward and enjoy the run.

Wow, what an opportunity you have in front of you, Congratulations! There are so many choices you have to make that really will affect the rest of your life, and the time to be serious about those decisions is now. If you are not ready or willing to make those decisions, no problem, but be honest with yourself, family, and peers. There is no sense wasting the time and money of so many people involved just because you feel pressured to make decisions. I went to college, a four-year university, many years ago. I had too much fun, made lots of friends, but didn't understand the full opportunity I had before me. I was a pre-med student that dropped out of college. I decided stay in the medical field. Seventeen years later, here I am back and in full pursuit of a medical degree! I stayed in the medical field because it was and remains my passion. You have to find out for yourself what your passion is...don't pursue a degree just because the pay once done is high, you will regret it. Take the time to find your passion, and THEN GO FOR IT!

Senior year was great! I loved playing football , home coming, prom and sporting events. We were the top dogs! The class of 2009 ! I did OK in my classes . I should have listened to my teachers and parents and tried a little harder. I was so caught up in being a senior that for a while I put other things before school. I should have paid more attention to my advisors and explored my career interests . I know I shouldn't have always tried to sit with my friends in class . I was tempted to talk to them rather then listen to the teacher. I have great friends but I know I would have done better if I had made better choices. I watched as my friends chose their colleges and what they would study. That was my wake up call. I met with my counselor and explored my options. I chose GRCC. I raised my GPA to 2.2 in two months. My advice to myself , pay attention everyday to everything ! I discovered I love cooking and was lucky enough to get into the Culinary Program at GRCC. I get to school early and put everything into my education !

I would tell myself to save up as much money as possible. The expenses of going to an art school and living on your own costs more than youve ever spent before in your whole life. The reason I say to save as much before you go is because having a job and going to school really limits the time you will have to do homework. You never know how long it will take to make a successful piece of art. I would tell myself that no mater how big the campus or how intimidating the other artists are that you have to give yourself a chance. Dont set yourself up for failure, give yourself enough time to do projects and do not procrastinate. Dont be afraid to ask for help, thats what your professors are there for. Think positively about projects and professors untill you actually have a reason to not like them. Think of going to school as an oppourtunity, some people in the world dont even get to go to high school. In the end you're doing this for yourself to become a well educated person and succesful artist. YOU CAN DO THIS!