Grand Rapids Community College Top Questions

The advice I'd give myself is, Don't worry about the small stuff. Keep your head up. Its only hard if you make it hard. There are things you can control and things you can't. Take it day by day, and keep a positive additude no matter what.

Selina

The type of advise I would give myself, would be to never procrastante, study as hard as I can, always take notes and review them. It's a hard habit to get out of, and it really hurts you in college. Always give everything your all, and never underestamate yourself. And just because you're mentally and physically tired of all the essays, homework, and projects doesn't mean giving up is an option, it's just another little mental push to continue, it means that weakness is leaving, and hard work is moving in!

katelin

Honestly, there isn't really anything I would tell myself. As a High School Senior I was already taking so many college classes as well as taking classes outside of High School to be an Emergency Medical Technition that I didn't have much of a normal Senior year. I was looking past High School and tried taking as many opportunites as possible to set me up for college. I was already use to the work load. On top of the College and EMT classes I was also very involved in church and worked. I already knew what it was like to balance multiple things at once. In fact, having to still be in High School was more a nuisence. So once I graduated nothing really changed for me. Because I set my self up so well my Senior year, the transition into college was so much easier for me than my peers. I knew what it was like to already have many responsiblites and how to balance them.

Kristyn

The most important piece of advice for you is this: Don't stress out about the coming changes. The coming changes will be fun and enjoyable, more so than you think at the moment! The challenges will be beneficial for you to grow in your character and your knowledge, better equipping you for the days ahead. While you will enjoy the learning, the second piece of advice is this: there will be a fair amount of homework. In order to academically excel, you will need to put a lot of time into your studies. While this advice seems to contradict, both parts are necessary for you to be prepared and to succeed in this transition and in the transitions to come.

Emilee

Ask for help. College is complicated and hard, and even more daunting if you try to figure everything out yourself. Advisors and professors know how to maneuver college life, and they are there to help you. Be in constant communication with your advisor, and ask him all the questions you have, no matter how silly they seem. Make sure you understand your schedule and payments for your classes. Through your advisor, explore all the possibilities for financial aid and scholarships. Even if you don't have any questions, meet with your advisor regularly, just to ensure that you are on the right track. Similarly, talk with your professors frequently. Meet with them after class, or go to their office during office hours. Have them help with assignments that you are confused about, or anything else that you need help with. Even the other students can help. If possible, talk with more experienced students than yourself and ask for their advice. Just keep asking questions; keep asking for help. College is rough, but there are loads of people out there who know exactly how to handle it. You just have to utilize their knowledge.

Victor

Question I would ask myself would be not to be scared to ask questions since its a new surrounding and huge college ask questions when you don't know where things are and not to be afraid to open up. Another thing I would tell myself is save money because college is expensive and saving money will help so you have to borrow or take out anything. And enjoy it learn as much as you can and meet new people. But make sure you accomplish your goals and dreams.

bill

stay focused and stick to it, finish your degree the first time and have fun

Annah

If I could go back to my high school senior self, I would tell myself a few things. I would say to spend more time with friends, because they will be gone soon and nothing will ever be the same. I would say to apply for more scholarships, because financial aid is only out to get you. I would say to appreciate time with family more, because before you know it, you will be on your own and you will miss them. More advice for my former self would be to call my cousins more. As you age, you tend to forget that your family members also age. My last piece of advice would be to enjoy every single moment of senior year, because even though it sounds cliché, it will be over before you know it.

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to not care what anybody thinks of you. In college, I've learned that nobody cares about your popularity. It's all just a high school game. When you get into the real world, does it really matter? Don't think of yourself as too good to talk to certain people. We're all humans, we just choose different ways to present who we are to the world. I would tell myself to study harder, it'll be worth it when you get to college. It might have scored myself a higher ACT score. And most definitely, apply for those scholarships. Nobody really understands how beneficial they really are. It's the effort and lack of motivation that people don't want to put into them. If I had that chance, I would redo my whole senior year of high school knowing what I know now. All that time we fought to be better than one another wasn't worth it. Being higher up on the popularity scale didn't mean anything. It's what you make of your life in college now that's important.

If I could talk to my former high school self, I would tell her: "Stop worrying so much about planning your future and just live it." I was so focused on the one thing I had wanted to do my entire life that I never stopped to think it might not end up being what I actually went to school for. If I had known then that I would go through 3 majors and 3 different colleges by my junior year, maybe I would have focused more on my general education and would have been forced to think about more than one career choice. I had been told that students changed their majors constantly to figure out what they wanted... I just didn't think it would happen to me. My former self couldn't have been more wrong.

shelby

After all is said and done, I would tell myself to just be me, don’t change anything. You are where you are because of where you have been. You will gain confidence because you have been riculed and you will have direction because you have felt lost. People underestimate direction in college, but I have found it will give you the desire to work for your future . High school is a learning experience, don’t forget the lessons you learned there. College will be the same, but once you know who you are, all the rest becomes achieveable. College is going to be really hard at times, but you have made it through harder. I’m not promising that it will be easy, just that it will be worth it.

Raymond

First, I would tell myself that I am about to enter a completely different ball game in college vs high school. There will be many different activities to do and different methods to utilize your time. While these different activities and methods may seem enticing, it is important to focus on a limited number of extracurriculars and put the rest of the focus toward your long term goals, whether they are receiving good grades, networking, or planning how to be the best college student possible. Second, I would tell myself to find a strong mentor immediately. You will need a mentor throughout college to alleviate potential problems that may arise. Your mentor most likely has been through college before or knows how to work the system to save you the pain and unneccessary consequences. Last, I would tell myself to p.l.a.n. This is the name of the game in college. You can graduate with your 4-year degree, but if you do not complete any planning, then you wont be able to apply your knowledge and skills that you learned from your college experience. Planning may include netowrking or even contacting potential future employers well before graduation.

As a college junnior, looking back one might say that they would tell their high school senior self that they should party less or something along those lines. I never took any liking to those "typpical" college activities. To me it was about making friends and finding the people I knew I could trust and lean on. However, I wouldn't give just that one piece of advice. Friends are everything to me, but what would have really helped me get through is if I would have applied for more scholarships and found a job to get money for school. I'm in a lot of debt right now and I feel bad that my parents still have to support me. I want to support myself but the classes I take are super expensive as an art major. Not only do I have to pay for my classes but all the art supplies as well, and it adds up really fast. If I could take away the debt from myself and my parents it would be a great blessing, that is why I would give my high school self advice to apply for scholorships, get a job, & save up money.

Alanna

Start saving money now! Get serious and your social life should not come before homework.

Maddison

Dear me, Living by yourself is not a walk in the park as you probably assume. There is a lot of work that goes into it. Trying to juggle school and work is not an easy task. There are a lot of sacrifices that need to be made in the real world. You will lose friends and there will be hardships but you jsut have to know that all f the sacrifices and struggles will be worth it in the end. Push through and think of the future and don't dwell in the past.

Be patient, stay focused and continue to rmeber your goals. This is your life. You live with the knowledge of knowing what you put in to your education is what you will get out. I want success more than anythin. I

Rachele

Do the very best you can in class. Go and get the advance placement classes. Work hard, Study harder. Take you ACT, and SAT, and get the highest you can. Make the right friends, and do your best to not get into any trouble.

Lazaro

Practice more with adobe suite for illustrating.

If I could give advice to the high school me, I would tell them that they need to work hard in school, apply for scholorships, save money and most of all enjoy it. Looking back I have realized that eventhough I thought high school was difficult sometimes it doesn't come close to college. I would also tell myself to take advantage of the free time you get in high school yet still stay focused on my studies and get good grades, which could lead to scholarships.

TIMOTHY

If i would give one peice of advice it would be to take every opperuntity you get and explore it. Join new clubs, get to know people, and most important, have fun. If you aren't having fun, you aren't going to succused in life. Do what makes you happy and not for someone else. Only then will you truly injoy life and live the way you want to

Dear High School Senior Me, You can cry, but just a little bit on your graduation day. Be proud of yourself for making it this far, but just know that it only goes up from here. You're officially in the big leagues. You don't realize this, but the decisions your make after today will effect you for the rest of your life. Please, no matter how tempting, do NOT post all the dramaties of your life on Facebook. You're too mature for that now. There's no time for cliques and bullying in college. Also, it's so sweet how you think you're going to marry your boyfriend, but you're probably not-- break up with him ASAP. It's also time to stop defying your parents. Those silly rules and curfews you hated will be understood in about 5 years. You're going to need them in a lot more ways than you think you will. Lastly, past Me, I'd like to tell you not to worry too much, but worry a little. Because that small amount of fear is what will drive the passion out of you that you'll need. Love, YourFutureSelf

As a high school student going into college the best advice I could give you is to not be afraid of failing. Many obstacles will present themseleves throughout your years not only relating to studies but financial and personal as well. I advise to accept your failures and faults and pride yourself on being able to turn them around. You will make mistakes and it's only natural because were human however, nothing says determination as much as falling down on your knees then getting right back up and running in the race. Know that everything you do is for your future and that because your working towards your own success your the only one who can decide how hard your going to work for it. Remember to take risks for when we takes these risks we learn our weaknesses. Knowing your weaknesses is the greatest piece of motivation, it will allow you to turn those weaknesses in to your strengths. As for the new insight and discoveries that interest you the most be sure to incorporate them into your goals only to enhance them and leave you going in the same direction but with a better expectation for sucess.

Darian

So, little me, you're graduating in a couple of weeks. That's a big deal. You're on your way to the rest of your life! I know exactly what you're feeling at this moment; you're scared and excited, you have no idea whether life on your own sounds like a great adventure or a terrifying Stephen King novel about to take a dark turn. I know that life in high school must've seemed the like the high point of our life, but let me reassure you those days are still on the horizon, little me. Right now college is a daunting thing, and no doubt you'll go through some hardships and stumble a bit, but hey, I'll let you know if I ever found someone who had a smooth first year at college. So what do we do when times get rough? We fight our way through it. That's just who we are. Biggest point of mine, don't worry about what you can't change. Push through it, find a way to make yourself flexible, rise to the challenge. You're gonna go places, kid. See you in a few years.

I would tell myself to save up as much money as possible. The expenses of going to an art school and living on your own costs more than youve ever spent before in your whole life. The reason I say to save as much before you go is because having a job and going to school really limits the time you will have to do homework. You never know how long it will take to make a successful piece of art. I would tell myself that no mater how big the campus or how intimidating the other artists are that you have to give yourself a chance. Dont set yourself up for failure, give yourself enough time to do projects and do not procrastinate. Dont be afraid to ask for help, thats what your professors are there for. Think positively about projects and professors untill you actually have a reason to not like them. Think of going to school as an oppourtunity, some people in the world dont even get to go to high school. In the end you're doing this for yourself to become a well educated person and succesful artist. YOU CAN DO THIS!

Being content with my current life, I would bypass the standard 'study hard, get good grades' advice, and tell myself to embrace my passions. I was a great musician in high school--I would tell my past self to throw myself into that, to block out popularity, to experiment with my interests, to find myself while I still could. I would say that AP classes weren't all that important, that I had nothing to prove anybody. Most importantly, I would tell myself to 'trim the fat' so to speak, to hone the ability to sit down at a table or desk and work on something I'm passionate about, and embrace it wholeheartedly.

Stacy

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not be afraid of the big college world. Yes its hard work and you will struggle at times. But its not all that bad. I would tell myself that everything will be ok. I would also tell myself to keep following my dreams and to never give up hope. You can do anything you set your mind to, big or small. Never let somebody tell you that you cant do something. Because you can! I would also tell myself that during the transition into college to talk to anyone. You are going to school with all new faces and that can be very scary. But just talk to your fellow classmates. They are in the same postition as you. Relax.

Bruce

It seems so much better than the structured high school process. I like college freedom and hopefully in the future I will be dealing with more educated/talented instructors. So far the learning is fun, informative. The hours are what I want them to be and I hope to build from my education the skills that I will need to help me make a nice comfortable living in the future. I hope I will be able to contribute to the future technologies that will assist in our daily lives.

Chantal

I have gotten a lot out of my college experience so far. I have learned how to become indepent in a way that now I know I can rely on myself to get things done. I have also gained so much confidence in myself that I didn't even know I could have before I started college. I'm not afraid to try new things now, and I can make friends a lot easier then I use to. I know this experience will last me a long time, and I am grateful for it. I is very valuable to attend college, not only for the education factor but also for the social factor. I am very excited to learn all the new things I have so far in college, and I can't wait to graduate and then continue on to get my masters and become a successful teacher.

The simple answer would be to say that I am only getting a higher education to put me above others in our society, but it is truely more than that. During my freshman year at CMU I was really able to figure out who I am as a person since I was exposed to completely new people. I went to CMU without any friends from my hometown and landed in unfamiliar territory. I was able to find out my true personality and figure out who I am as a student. Students should also join organization, clubs, and sports because it really helped me get to know people. I would have stayed at CMU, but I needed to save on cash. GRCC has been great as well, I've met many nice people and its a nice small campus. It just isn't quite the same without the dorm experience especially since I am, once again, living at home. Overall I would say, if you have the money to go to a university then I would say you will get a ton more out of it than at GRCC. Otherwise get the requirements done and then go to a university.

College experiences help mold us into the people we are today. I attended school very unsure of who I was and also who I wanted to become in the professional world. Going into my senior year of college I had chosen to become a social worker. I was playing soccer, working, and had a full class load, on top of an internship with Wedgwood Christian Services. I interned with the Summit Program. The focus of the program was Substance Abuse and Co-occurring disorders. During my internship my life began to change in that I knew I wanted to work with high risk teens. I began focusing on learning as much as I could and take in every experience my internship had to offer. I know for a fact today that I would not be the person I am if I had not had the experience and opportunity for this internship. My college experience helped me professionally as well as academically. I strive to help others take full advantage of this experience and push for high risk teens to not let their circumstances determine their futures, but encourage them to take full advantage of the opportunities given to them.

Charmica

I have received alot from my college experience being that I am the fist in my generation to attend college, being an older adult andthe youngest lady in my family and wanting too go back to school to further my education to obtain financial stability in a sercure career field to be able to live and enjoy life comfortably for myself and children. my colege experience was a struggle for me becauseI had been out of school for many years prior to me attending college however my experience with very much so an accomplishment being able to show and tell my children that your education is and should be your number one priority in life because with out you won't be able to get very far in life. learning how to use time management, business Etiquette, persoanl financehow to perpare for a interview, team initiative etc. My experience has been vey valuable because I have learned & use from college as well as for my up bringings everyday in my life and will continue to use them everyday of my life in a business setting(career filed) and persoanl aspects of my life.

Tabitha

My first piece of advice would be to take a variety of classes, no matter if I had known my major or not. Everyone needs to be well-rounded individuals, and taking a few out-of-the-box classes would not hurt. Secondly, I would definitely take a few classes on my own, without friends that you know too well, so that you get your own sense of independency. When you're on your own, you are your own person, with no expectancies of any kind, and you can be and do how ever you feel. Finally, I would tell myself to try to stay happy, no matter how high the stress levels may be. This is a new chapter in life and all you can do is try your best, live with no regrets, and just think that no matter how bad a situation may be, it could always be worse. It could always be worse.

Chris, focus first on school, and second on social life. There is no harder thing to build than a strong and worth while work ethic, and nothing more valuable in the long run. Work hard at working hard. Make sure you explore. There are so many things available in so many places. Even if they weren't what you were expecting, they may have something to offer. Try to form relationships with your professors. Their friendships will not only help them open up to you, but will also help you open up to them, and make the learning experience go that much smoother. Also, down the road they may be delighted to hear from you and offer futher assistance, if needed, as a favor rather than as an assignment. A marvelous thing to have is a brilliant friend. (Then, so I knew I was serious, I'd give myself a nice cold bottle of Yoohoo chocolate drink, because I know I'd like it.)

Yusef

Knowing what I know about college life today, I would have a lot to say to my high school senior self. First of all I would tell myself that there is a really big load of opportunity, help, and diversity. In high school, i was not as fond of clubs, groups, and programs that would really expand my knowledge and understanding of myself even more, eventhough I did have great grades

Bessie

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice I would give myself would be to take college seriously and attend yearly, save for college instead of getting student loans, and be prepared and open minded for anything.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would make sure that I encouraged myself to get to know more people in my community and even outside of my community. When I got to college I was, in a sense, overwhelmed with all the different types of people I was around and interacting with , which was really hard at times. I struggled my first semester when trying to connect with people, because I was only used to my own group of friends and family. I feel like I missed out a lot when it came to getting to know people, being involved in college clubs and rallies, and even in classroom discussions because I was afraid to get out of my comfort zone. I know now that if I had worked harder to be involved in my community and outside of my community I would have felt more comfortable my first semester in being open to everything and everyone around me.

I would tell myself that going to a vocational school for my Airframe and Powerplant certification would be a waste of time. It would be a much greater benefit to apply for more scholarships and attend Grand Valley State University or Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Florida. If I could go back in time and tell myself all of this, I believe that my life would be significantly better off. A major benefit of hind sight is that I get to experience things one way, while thinking about how life would be different had I decided to go another route. Overall, I think that I have learned very valuable life lessons with the route I have taken. I know that I would not be where I am today had I been informed via hind sight of my choices and results since I graduated high school. I would finish off telling my high school senior self that, while I may get further ahead in life by not going to a vocational school, I will miss out on great friendships, a decent job, and some sense of stability.

To put my ALL into my education, and to take school seriously. Knowledge is King.

oh my darling, college seems scary now, but truly you will love it! yes there will be new friends you have to make, but you will get though, classes are difficult but make sure you dont party too much, and please dont drink. thats what screw some of my other friends over. Take a deep breath and dive in it will be all good

I went into college with an open mind and a mature outlook. I didn't absorb much of the "high school" personality that many girls that age do. Going back in time and talking to myself during that age, I'm not sure that advice would be the right word. If anything, it would be a shoulder to lean on and a reminder that soon enough I would be with people of my trade. I would be with people who wanted me around and wanted my opinion. High school didn't settle well in my stomach, and I was ready for the next step; anything would have been better. The transition was easy and it felt so right. The advice that I needed 3 years ago was to just keep my chin up. Keep looking forward and that there truly are better things to come. Better things beyond what can been seen now. And best of all, better things will happen than could ever be imagined.

Nanette

Dear Nanette, I'm writing to you from my place in time 2010. May you delight in your own wisdom 25 years early. "And now these three things remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Cor. 13 1. Have faith in yourself, certainly in God, but also in people. Continue to believe that all people are basically good. Trust them, commune with them, show them grace and mercy just as you are shown. 2. Continue to hope in a future where good continues to triumph over evil. Be an active participant in the battle. 3. Love all others. Love those who let you down, who live with different sets of values, who don't love you. Hold tight to what you know is right; stand for the weak, give voice for the oppressed. Love your creator, recognize Her and respond. And love yourself, always freely accepting the grace and forgiveness given you. You won't do this perfectly. That's alright. Perfection is never required, it is a burden you've chosen to carry. Drop it immediately. Don't let your momentum wane. Move forward and enjoy the run.

Jonathon

I would tell myself to take a deep breath. Senior year is perhaps one of the most hectic and nerve wracking times of my life, and I'm sure the same can be said for many other Seniors. While Senior year is filled with plenty of fun and excitement, there's also so much pressure I'm surpised so many students make it out alive. Not only must seniors focus on their classes and maintaining their GPA, there's also extracuriculars such as Honor Society, sports, band, and not to mention AP classes along with AP tests at the end of the year. If this pressure isn't enough, then the college application process certainly is. I remember many long nights trying to perfect college application essays, spending hour after hour filling out applications, and trying to determine which college I want to attend, as well as what I want to major in. Senior year is filled with difficult decisions, and can't be taken lightly, but one thing that I didn't do enough of was take a deep breath, and relax. Senior year can be unbearable, unless it's taken step by step, one day at a time.

Makisha

I would tell myself to trust the advice of those with more life experience than myself at that point. This is because, although I was accepted into what is considered a prestigious Art program at Western Michigan University, I ended up wasting my time and money. All I had in mind was to escape my hometown and to be on my own. I had no idea how complicated college can turn out to be, and I also had no idea how much it would cost me in the long run. I ended up changing my major to several different things, and was still confused until about a year ago. I ended up being over $20,000.00 in debt from loans that I could have prevented by going to a community college in the first place. I came so close to joining the military in order to help pay for my education, but in the end, I realized that it was not for me. There are so many trials I could have avoided if I had stopped to think about the details. Hindsight is always 20/20 and tough to accept, but I intend it to make me wiser.

Wow, what an opportunity you have in front of you, Congratulations! There are so many choices you have to make that really will affect the rest of your life, and the time to be serious about those decisions is now. If you are not ready or willing to make those decisions, no problem, but be honest with yourself, family, and peers. There is no sense wasting the time and money of so many people involved just because you feel pressured to make decisions. I went to college, a four-year university, many years ago. I had too much fun, made lots of friends, but didn't understand the full opportunity I had before me. I was a pre-med student that dropped out of college. I decided stay in the medical field. Seventeen years later, here I am back and in full pursuit of a medical degree! I stayed in the medical field because it was and remains my passion. You have to find out for yourself what your passion is...don't pursue a degree just because the pay once done is high, you will regret it. Take the time to find your passion, and THEN GO FOR IT!

Ericka

I would tell myself to always go above and beyond.I would also say take your SAT and ACT over again and stay focused.Independence is key because you and only you are responsible for grades,life, and money in college.

If I were a high school senior the first piece of advice I would give myself is make a plan and figure out ways to stay on track with that plan. High school seniors focus way to much on the dances like homecoming and prom. Don't ever forget to stay focused and keep running on the trail that is life. I am not saying that you shouldn't have fun your senior year. I am simply making a realization that you have to work hard your senior year. Listen to anything your high school teachers are willing to say and do to get you ready for college. I remember my senior English teacher Miss. Koole. She said if you want to go to college dont just do the work understand why and what you want to get out of the work. I realize now what she meant by this. She was saying to her students that reading and writing are easy, however putting the effort forth is a testiment to learning and understanding the material. Have fun your senior year however work hard for it also.

Knowing what I know now, I would first of all tell myself to resist starting a bonfire in the backyard to burn all of my old assignments. I have found that previous class work is very helpful. I am in organic chemistry now, and with a not-so-helpful teacher, I feel it'd be impossible to pass without my notes. In high school, teachers often gave us "cheat sheets" with short cuts to difficult problems or simply equations. These would be more than helpful to me right now.

Vincent

I would tel l myself to take more college prepatory classes and concentrate on technology. I would make sure I learned proper note taking and study habits. I would want to make sure I applied early for financial aid and spent more time learning to manage my finances to enable me to be successful in college the first time. I would advise myself to not only concentrate on advanced computer technologies but to double major in business management to be more successful in the business world, and to not give up until I completed at least a Masters Degree as that seems to be what everyone wants in their employees in the computer field.

Trenton

I would tell myself to look for scholarships a lot harder than I did. I was serious about my grades, but I had no interest in searching for money to go to school. The expenses are real and they can prevent you from continuing your education if you do not have them covered.

Senior year was great! I loved playing football , home coming, prom and sporting events. We were the top dogs! The class of 2009 ! I did OK in my classes . I should have listened to my teachers and parents and tried a little harder. I was so caught up in being a senior that for a while I put other things before school. I should have paid more attention to my advisors and explored my career interests . I know I shouldn't have always tried to sit with my friends in class . I was tempted to talk to them rather then listen to the teacher. I have great friends but I know I would have done better if I had made better choices. I watched as my friends chose their colleges and what they would study. That was my wake up call. I met with my counselor and explored my options. I chose GRCC. I raised my GPA to 2.2 in two months. My advice to myself , pay attention everyday to everything ! I discovered I love cooking and was lucky enough to get into the Culinary Program at GRCC. I get to school early and put everything into my education !