Grand Rapids Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Grand Rapids Community College

karianne

I love this school because it allows me to work full time while going to school through there flexible schedule. Despite having to take a lot of online classes, I always felt connected within my classes and reassurance that I could always reach my professors.

Geonna

Grand Rapids Community College is a great school too attend your first couple years out of high school. You save a ton of money on your Gen Eds, classes are not too big, people are way more friendly. The atmosphere is great, I feel welcomed, the professors are great when you need. If I need assistance with anything I can find it super quick and easy. My first year outside of high school I went to GRCC loved every minute of it, enjoyed classes, everything was nice. My second year I went to GV I regret not staying another year at Cc, but I learned my lesson and I am back at CC. I am excited to start back and save money.

joi

I love GRCC! One of the best schools to go to in mu opinion. There's plenty of people to talk to and to get to know. People are extremely friendly. There are also counselors on campus to help you with your career choices which makes your future a lot more easier to prepare for.

Zachary

I love GRCC! It is great because of the class size, the professors, and the cost. Overall, the college has great classes and there are also groups outside of class that students can become a part of. At times it can feel like everyone is "passing through" as most students are going to GRCC for only two years, but on the other hand it is nice to be able to make short term relationships and know that in the future one can make more relationships at the next college/university!

Linnea

I highly reccomend for students who plan on going to a 4-Year university, take their general education classes here. Unfortunately, the college does not host housing. Grand Rapids Community College is incredibly diverse in the programs taught and demographics of student life. I admire the college's push for political awareness and social equality or respect amongst genders, sexual identities, race, social class, and program choice. The college provides free counseling for its students and the faculty members honor their commitment to helping their students. The college encourages its students to transfer to 4-Year schools and finish their degrees. I hope to see this continuation of growth in diversity and passion to teach individuals at Grand Rapids Community College in the future.

Ivan

Experience has been generally positive. There will be hoops to jump through, and you must be alert and diligent in making sure that you are in the correct classes for your major. Advisers are difficult to get in touch with unless you know them. Can certainly be effective for reducing costs.

Kimesha

Overall, GRCC is a great starter school to save money and figure out interests and majors. There are opportunities available for most fields and careers. For most parts, the staff and faculty are incredible. The teachers are willing to give an individual the one on one time that he or she may need to succeed in the class.

Raymond

On again off again student that wouldn't have made it through if grcc wasn't such an assessable institution. I plan to finally graduate in the spring.

jarrod

I love all the help that is readily available at GRCC and the faculty is always willing to help someone in need. The programs are well planned out and keep my attention, I especially love how involved the culinary program is. I really love GRCC and I hope other choose to attend it in the near future!

Kelsey

I have only visited Grand Rapids Community College a few times and plan to attend there next fall. I think that the campus is beautiful and the food is alright. There is a lot of shops around or near campus. Overall, I think that it’s a beautiful place with great people and I can’t wait to attend.

Alex

Grand Rapids Community College is a diverse campus, and there are many different clubs for everyone. There is a variety of places to eat like Subway, a quiet cafe, a cafeteria, a sit down restaurant run by the culinary students called The Heritage, and more! There are sports like basketball, volleyball, and baseball. Class sizes are kept relatively small, teachers are understanding, and have office hours outside of class.

I think Grand Rapids Community College in an amazing college. The teachers are right there to talk to and the over all Community is great! I feel like I can ask them anything. I've made many friends and the students are easy to get along with. This college offers everything I need to transfer and I'm so glad I ended up applying. For a while I didn't think I'd be going to college because after high school I didn't think it could be an option. But to my surprise GRCC offered that.

Hailey

Great school if you are looking for an inexpensive, two-year college. Sports are not very noticed at this college; however, sporting events do partake. There are many opportunities to get hands-on help, but you must force yourself to participate. Grand Rapids community college is a great cultural experience!

Audrey

Almost always strictly lecture, never hands on learning

A very good starting school. A great way to get your required credits at a good price. Also a great place to get a good degree and head start into the work force.

Julia

This is a great college to attend, even if you're unsure about what you want to study. This campus is full of affordable, quality classes to take while you're figuring out your next steps in your academic future. Although I'm planning to study film video and production, this school has been an incredible place for me to get me general education credits and prepare for my future.

Blanca

It has a great environment

Sammie

Grand Rapids Community College is a wonderful school to start at if you are unsure what you want to study or where you want to go or even if you feel you aren't ready to attend a four year. It's easy to get in to, and scheduling is easy since courses are offered on all days at most times and some even online. Also you can't beat the price; its substantially cheaper than a four year so you aren't wasting money at a school when you don't know what you'll be studying. Being directly downtown Grand Rapids provides many opportunities for food and coffee in between class, along with great on campus food.

Mary

It is a great college. It is a great way to transfer from high school to college life. I can be as involved or not involved as I want to be. Everyone is quite friendly. Working in groups, getting help from other students and professors, and living near the campus are some big pluses to this school.

Janelle

My overall opinion of Grand Rapids Community College is that it is a great start to a college education. It has reasonable tuition prices, a wide range of online classes and class times. The campus is clean and other students are helpful when looking for directions or other information. The faculty is friendly and teachers are good about responding and grading in a reasonable matter of time. Overall, it is a good place to start before attending a four year University.

Miranda

GRCC has single handedly changed my life. I come from a poor home where collage wasnt in the cards unless I did it on my own. Thanks to GRCC and the help they've offered, they've changed my life and given me the option to jump start my career and further my education. I will be forever grateful for my time here.

Kaitlynn

I like Grand Rapids Community College because there are opportunities here. The tuition is affordable compared to most colleges. Many of the professors are great and passionate about teaching. I think that the academics are the most important at this school and is taken very seriously. There are a lot of tutoring opportunities, but I wish that they were a little better than they are now. However, I do wish that there were more groups to join and the school is working on that. I wish that the office hours provided could work better around my work and school schedule.

Jillian

I really liked that the school is very inexpensive and affordable with grants received. I would say I payed $2000 for the two years I went there to take my general education requirements. Also, I found that the social atmosphere there was great- people were very friendly. I recommend Grand Rapids Community College to prospective college students.

Alexis

My overall opinion of Grand Rapids Community College is pretty fair. They have a lot of resources that are free and easily accessible and in reach for all students as well as staff too. Everyone is very welcoming and nice, as well as lenient on new learning curves for students if you need help, there are many places and people to talk or ask or go. We have many on-campus events and even clubs to join. We have one sorority/fraternity on campus and it is for accelerated students who keep a good grade point average of 3.5 or higher (Dean's List), and are very welcoming. I highly recommend this college to other people.

Leah

The school has excellent tutoring labs and most of the professors are extremely helpful. They even offer free remedial courses. The campus is difficult to navigate, though and there are fewer elevators, ATMs and places for food or study than I would like. I also wish they had on-campus housing.

Amaih

GRCC is a great college for students that are looking to save money and still get a great education. If you are looking for a variety of sports activities, clubs and parties I'd suggest going to a four year university where there are on campus housing and recreational teams you can join.

hunter

It is a great starting community college! I went there because I am not quite sure what I am going to school for and did not want to spend too much money. Going to school here I am able to save money, stay at home, and take a couple extra classes to find things I am interested in with the extra money I am saving.

Luke

I came to Grand Rapids Community College in 2013--the year I graduated high school. It was very difficult for me, but this was now fault of the college. As a result of some personal difficulties I had dropped out the year I enrolled and spent about two years working, and not going to school. When I decided to come back, I found I had to start from scratch. Luckily, GRCC was able to do this for me. Presently, I am working my way up in my academics, and the faculty and GRCC are very often passionate about what they do. There has been countless staff who have helped guide where it is I want to go. It is very easy to feel like you belong at Grand Rapids Community College. Faculty and staff are empathic, and down-to-earth people, and the college itself makes clear through its intentions and actions that its priority is to uplift those who need to be uplifted. I am happy to go here, and proud to go here.

Maggie

I loved Grand Rapids Community College because it was the best financial option for me. However, I never got involved in the college community so I felt out of it compared to the rest of my friends who went straight to Universities. I wish that I would have made myself more involved in the college experience but I was a full-time student who works full-time to try and take on as little debt as possible.

Julie

What I like most about Grand Rapids Community College is the professors. Although there are some that do poorly at teaching their designated classes, the majority of professors care about their students. They are professional at delivering their lectures, and they also try to make the classroom environment a comfortable and engaging place to be in. The classes themselves are compact. On a different note, two aspects of the college that could be changed are the campus and security. In my opinion, it is not as lively or eye-catching as other college campuses. The panhandlers and lobbyists both significantly worsen the situation. As far as safety goes, there should be higher security, since anybody in Grand Rapids can easily walk onto campus grounds with a concealed weapon and hurt a student. Overall, GRCC is considered "average" to me.

Monica

It's my first year at GRCC and overall it has been great! I am not involved in any groups they have there but the teachers I had were always caring and helpful! The only downside is some academic advisors are kind of judgmental on the decision you're trying to make and I am not the only one that feels like that.

Kristina

I absolutely love it here! Everyone is super nice and I enjoy going to class. The campus is patrolled by police and i feel extremely safe while walking around. Most of the professors are very good at there job and the classes are overall very affordable.

Alexa

I feel very lucky to have a school like Grand Rapids Community College. There are some classes and professors that I do not like, but every university has unfavored classes and professors. I love that I can take transferable general education courses for a price that is reachable. I can save a lot of money and still get an education by taking less expensive classes that are close to my home. I am studying Theatre, and GRCC is a wonderful place for theatre and music. Not only is the school and faculty amazing, but there are many other theatre's in the area.

Breegan

It is very basic for a community college. I however had a pretty bad experience with a professor, forcing me to go through the whole fiasco of dropping the class. If you get the right professor then it's a pretty good experience, but it definitely isn't anything fancy.

Nikki

I really enjoyed my time with Grand Rapids Community College, and I feel as though I left a little family. During my time there, I always felt my professors truly cared about my educational wellbeing, and they took the time to care about their students outside the classroom.

Brandon

Based on what I experience, I think Grand Rapids Community College is one the best schools this state has to offer. The reason why I would say that is because of what programs it has include the one where I get to take a look at college life with some of my classmates and one of the teachers from my school. This summer seems to be pretty cool and fun since GRCC gives me a class that helps me get early college credit that I deserve. I also get a lot of help from some of staff members to enhance my math skills which could boost my SAT scores to a pretty good score. I also get to go on tours to different colleges to see how they operate and what requirements I need to enter them and get the degree that I deserve. Like I said earlier, some of staff members from my school happens to work here and she was the one who recommended me into this program. Another reason why I think GRCC is a great school is because my dad used to go here. I never knew he had ever went there and after I found out, I was pretty excited and impressed. So I figure I should go there to help learn how to grow and how to mature even more. There’s also another reason this is the best school in West Michigan. It’s because it offers high school students early college classes so that they can earn credits even before they graduate. I think this year and the next should get interesting.

Madison

Grand Rapids Community College is the best thing that has ever happened to me! I am so blessed to be able to attend a school that is so devoted to the success of their students. The college offers an amazing education with affordable classes with amazing faculty. I never thought too much of this college before going here but now I can't say enough good things about GRCC, they are so supportive of their students in all aspects. I would encourage anyone from any walk of life to attend GRCC and experience all that they have to offer. I owe GRCC a big thank you for helping to change my life!

Sara

This college was the best choice for me coming out of high school. It was a lot cheaper, a shorter commute from my house, and I could get all my Gen-eds done here and know I am in the process of transferring. GRCC has been a great college for me. I have made many friends, the majority of my professors were all really good and overall I would suggest GRCC to other people.

melanie

I think it is a great start. Especially for college being expensive. Grcc is one of the most economic schools in my opinion and they offer good help and help you out throughout what you could be dealing with good or bad just like any other college m. Everything they do their best to do so.

Chloe

There is a nice campus but the online center is very confusing to navigate. The faculty that helps answer questions over the phone is overall very helpful. I would suggest remaking the website to make it more user friendly for the students. I have heard many students complain about the online center being difficult to navigate.

Gislaine

This school is very affordable and the people/ students and also professors makes

Overall, I think that Grand Rapids Community College is a great place to start off at, especially if you want to transfer to a 4-year university. This is my opinion because I believe that anyone who doesn't have the chance to or hasn't won a scholarship for a university should attend community college first in order to save money while still getting a good, solid education for your gen eds. GRCC is the perfect opportunity to do this. My only complaint is the food selection, but this isn't a big complaint, because I probably shouldn't expect too much attending a community college that is smaller in size.

Mackenzie

GRCC is hugely convenient. They're located in the middle of the city, surrounded by plenty of feeding, shopping, transporting, and housing options. There's a large variety of potential classes to fit any schedule, and the faculty work hard to help you succeed. The campus security help you feel safe, and the students are always willing to do what they have to to help you. The only downside is the parking situation; since it's right downtown you're stuck paying for on-street parking or an overly crowded parking garage.