Grand Valley State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Grand Valley State University

Nikole

I greatly enjoyed my time at Grand Valley, which is why I am returning for a second degree. I lived most of my undergrad time on campus, which was great (in a variety of apartments) and then moved just off campus for my final year. This was okay, but I preferred being on campus, honestly. The food was always good, people were always friendly, plenty of options to participate in organizations, etc.

Shatoya

GVSU is a great campus. I like to call it the "big little campus". The class sizes for most classes are great. The professors are very hands on, most of them anyways. GVSU has tons of events to do on campus and off campus. And if you are looking for student employment there are always opportunities.

Sabrina

Grand valley is a really great school full of great people, professors. Lots of clubs to join, great new facilities, downtown campus is great. Everyone in my major is nice and welcoming. Bus system is helpful when getting downtown. campus is really beautiful, especially in the spring

mckenzie

I really loved it, everyone was very nice and helpful. It's a middle size university and can get confusing trying to learn your way around campus but once you figure it out it's not that bad. There are great housing options on and off campus. Grand Valley offers many different athletics as well and club teams too.

Nitosha

It’s great if you want a challenge

Isabella

I absolutely love Grand Valley State University! From the moment I stepped on campus, I knew that this was the school for me. The people are friendly, and the academics are great. I have been challenged academically, while also being provided opportunities to participate in extracurricular activities and volunteering opportunities. There is so much to do at Grand Valley, and I feel that I have grown as a person since I started attending college here.

Andrew

When I first arrived on campus, I was completely and utterly overwhelmed. I feared that making new friends and creating connections would be a struggle, and finding the need to fit in with the "popular people" on campus would continue to be an issue. Within days, I realized the campus environment of Grand Valley State University did not withhold that problem. From the first transitions activity I attended, to the first class I began, I felt nothing but a desirable, warm, and rewarding experience. Professors seemed surprisingly in-tune to how students felt, and went out of their way to learn everyone's name, to make a stable and comfortable learning environment for all students. Not only did the learning environment astound me, but so did the campus. Like any other stereotypical teenager during campus tours, I somewhat looked over the buildings, the scenery, and any other features that should make a college campus feel like home. Sure enough, the second I began exploring GV's grounds, I could not believe the profound beauty of the architecture, the nature, and so much more. More or less, this campus has made me feel home from the second I stepped foot on my own. I never could have imagined that in such a short time since joining the university, I would have felt like I had been a part of it for years. A+ so far, and can't wait to experience so much more. Laker for a Lifetime!!

Audrey

Grand Valley has a beautiful campus, affordable tuition rates, and many extra curricular opportunities. As well as a staff that is willing to go the extra mile to see their students succeed. Grand Valley has become my home over the last year and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Howard

I really enjoy the school's size, it isn't too big nor is it too small. You can really get to know the other students and staff in your programs very easily. The location is a big plus too, as it is super close to Grand Rapids. There is always stuff going on in the city that you can get involved with.

mackenzie

So far my experience at Grand Valley State University has been full of exciting and enriching opportunities. My professors care about how I am doing, inside and outside of class, the students are always willing to engage in conversation, and it feels like home. Coming to Grand Valley has been the best decision I have ever made.

Kelsie

The feel of Grand Valley feels like home. It's a place where you can go from a large lecture to a small study group and feel just as happy in both settings. The area around the campus is a small town feel, but once you step foot on to campus it feels like a large-city university.

Jaelyn

I love Grand Valley. It has some very underrated programs and professors, specifically in its music program. There is a very diverse attendance at the University; you can easily find a supportive group for your personality and there is a physical space of belonging for most groups on campus. You can tell that the academic and extra curricular atmosphere here is an extremely welcoming and dedicated one, and that is something I really value in my education.

Emma

It is a great school. The campus is beautiful and the buildings are always being updated or new ones are being built and have you seen the library? I love that the campus is small but not too small. You can make in across campus in 15 minutes and you have endless food options at every turn.

Mackena

I love the atmosphere at Grand Valley. As a more introverted person, it had a very welcoming atmosphere. They help you, but not so much that you feel babied, and the resources available to you are abundant. Overall, the college is a great starting point for furthering your academic career.

Grand Valley is more than what I would've imagined my college to be like. It is a beautiful campus that isn't too big. There a lot of opportunities to take advantage of. There are also a lot of resources the campus encourages you to use. It's nice to be 20 minutes from Downtown Grand Rapids, there are a lot of things to do and see there. I enjoy have two campuses. Because of my major I get the opportunity to experience both campuses and they are both beautiful places. Grand Valley tries really hard to get everyone involved and feel welcomed. There are many, many groups you can join. There is something for everyone on campus!

Nichole

I'm up at GV very often and it's a great school :)

I love the campus, it is always clean and they are always working on new ways to improve it. The food is great. The classrooms are small. There are a lot of interesting course options and many organizations to take part in.

Grand Valley is different than other schools. Sure its a smaller campus and a division 2 school, but we are a big family. Everyone is so close together and get the opportunity to meet people and see them all the time. There is so much diversity that people can learn to do new things that they have never done before.

Vanessa

It is a truth universally acknowledged that student in possession of ambitions, must be in want of a higher education. (Shout out to my girl Jane Austen) I like to think that I am one of those students. Having had siblings previously attend GVSU I assumed I knew what I was getting into. Let me just stop right here and say that I was wrong. In monumental proportions... With that being said I've learned that such false assumptions are not always negative. My entire past education has consisted of institutions no larger than a graduating class of 50 students; so, as you can imagine this has been quite the change. Nonetheless GVSU's size doesn't prevent to developed relationships between students and professors that I was expecting. Furthermore, there are little things that add to an overall pleasant experience. For example, something simple are the campus dining staff. I have yet to have met a staff member with a poor attitude. Overall, Grand Valley between its staff, opportunities for extracurricular groups, and courses have made what I thought would be a rather intimidating experience into an adventure that I am happy to continue in the next three years.

Jada

I like Grand Valley, but I have to take in consideration that I am a minority at a PWI so living on-campus can sometimes feel lonely and I feel isolated. I am confident that I am getting an education that is relevant, but it is also important to do my own research. I am confident that my professors want me to be successful during and after the course. GVSU promotes a non-bias campus environment, but not all students practice this non-bias attitude. In my opinion Grand Valley is an adaptable school for most people because it does well at trying to make sure that the students are safe, happy, and healthy (body and mind). Also Grand Valley has plenty (more than enough) organizations for, I think, anyone to get involved in. However, Grand Valley lacks diversity in students and faculty, therefore it is difficult for some people to feel a sense of belonging on-campus.

Angelica

GVSU is a great school with plenty of opportunities! We have our pros and cons but I DEFINITELY would not change where I attend! I met some of my closest friends here and even came in with some of my closest friends from high school. I have 2 on-campus jobs and am always getting involved.

Charles

I love Grand Valley and I would highly recommend my college to anyone. There's plenty of majors, extracurricular activities, clubs, and help for whatever you may need. I personally love GVSU because they have an awesome engineering program here and the tuition is very affordable compared to other colleges. I'd rate my first semester in college five out of five stars. Go Lakers!

Braeden

I really really like this campus, professors are very friendly, compassionate and willing to give help if you ask. The campus is also in a perfect place, being situated between Grand Rapids and Lake Michigan, both very very fun areas! I would highly recommend this college to whoever and whatever fields involved.

Cody

Overall, Grand Valley State University falls into my personal Top 3 best colleges in Michigan, only behind Michigan State University and the University of Michigan. GVSU is also more affordable than those two universities, and provides a smaller, more tightly knit college experience. GVSU is located in Allendale, Michigan; a quaint town that reminds me of the small township I grew up in on the East side of Michigan. It is a very rural and homey atmosphere, but the campus stands out for its gorgeous architecture and friendly community/staff. I have never felt intimidated or afraid on campus, and it is a very comfortable place to be. Partying on the weekends is very accessible, and the campus remains quiet enough during the week to focus on studies. The constant presence of campus security and local police also create a safe atmosphere. If you want to break out of the rural farmland of Allendale, Lake Michigan is about 20 minutes away to the West of GVSU, and Grand Rapids is around 20 minutes away to the East. GVSU is surrounded by amazing opportunities for fun and adventure, and I thoroughly enjoyed taking the campus bus to Grand Rapids to watch the Grand Rapids Griffins play, or to grab a meal downtown. Grand Rapids is a beautiful, clean, and young city that is guaranteed to offer fun nights out. The GVSU Pew Campus is also located downtown, and students are able to take classes there and experience the city that way as well. The campus food is delicious, although the menu does get repetitive over the course of a year. I recommend taking advantage of the plethora of food chains that GVSU offers, including Subway, Panda Express, Qdoba, and Papa John's. As far as campus housing goes, GVSU provides clean and comfortable dorms for freshman, as well as on-campus apartments for upperclassmen. There is also plenty of off-campus living options, most within 5-10 minutes of the campus. These are the main spots for partying, but are also full of security and provide a safe place to have fun in the midst of a stressful college schedule. One of my favorite parts of going to Grand Valley State University is the close proximity of everything around campus, and the "small campus" feel. It is very difficult to get lost on campus, and after a month, I was completely comfortable navigating the area. Lastly, the facilities and sports are one of the best reasons to attend GVSU. Despite being D2, the sports teams here are very competitive and very successful. I'm a huge football fan, and the Lakers do not disappoint. The athletic facilities are clean, large, and are within walking distance from most on-campus living. GVSU also recently expanded their fitness center with 4 new full-court basketball courts! Grand Valley State University is an amazing college, with many great opportunities to develop your professional career and create unforgettable memories along the way. If you're looking for a smaller campus with Greek life, amazing sports, beautiful architecture, and friendly people, then Grand Valley State University is the place for you. GVSU is growing along with Grand Rapids, and now is a perfect time to experience the rise of a truly great university! Anchor Up!

Reanna

Grand Valley State University has a beautiful campus. The people here are so welcoming and they know how to make you feel at home. There are many extracurricular activities to join, so one can enjoy themselves and have fun while in college. One downfall might be that there aren't many stores nearby. The closest store is Meijer, and that's about 10 minutes away. Other than that, the professors are invested in their students education which is a great thing because no one wants to be taught by someone who does not care about their education. GV is the place to be. Go Lakers!

alexis

It is a beautiful campus with professors who are willing to help and buildings conducive to learning. I am an off campus student and that can be hard but most people are willing to work with me. All of the art classes are in one building so that is very convenient for me.

Lindsay

I love Grand Valley. The campus and living environment is extremely safe. The campus is pretty much enclosed so you don't have to worry about safety. The professors and academics are amazing.

Grand Valley State University, my home. My journey to GVSU began at my first campus visit during my junior year of high school. The first time I stepped on campus I felt comfortable and welcome. When I was accepted I was ecstatic. Grand Valley had always been on the top of my list for colleges but as the indecisive person I am, I could not make my final decision until the last minute. I was struggling between GV and a school in the south. I even made my parents visit with me again and the second time I knew I could see myself on this campus. I am so glad that I chose GVSU because I couldn’t imagine myself anywhere else. I have made life-long friends, been able to involve myself in this community and hold leadership positions. The “GV difference” is a real thing. People here are willing to help you to their best ability or connect you with the right resources. The professors care to learn your name and make relationships with you. In addition, the students are very caring and welcoming to each other. Don’t ever worry about fitting in because they make the transition to college very smooth and it is very easy to find your niche. I could go on for hours about my love for Grand Valley. Going into college I was nervous that I would regret not going to the south because I hate the snow but I will endure it because I am truly a laker for a lifetime and I couldn’t imagine my life any other way. I am proud to call this beautiful ever-growing campus my home.

Jenna

Grand Valley State University should be everyone's first option. The campus is absolutely beautiful whether there be snow on the ground or the sun shining bright. The staff is very helpful and will assist you in whatever needs you need. They are always available and enjoy answering questions. The class sizes are small so the professor can get to personally know their students. Even the students are exceptionally nice and it's one big community. Grand Valley State University is the university to go to.

Amelia

Grand Valley is a good school that is attempting to grow in it involvement in the community in Grand Rapids and accessibility to students. An area that could use improvement is the resources that are available for LGBTQ young people. As well as a more logical bus system; there should be a stop nearer to the Art building. The closest bus stop is quite a distance away when laden with canvases and portfolios.

Alexis

I'm not gonna lie I have thought about transferring many times and still might. The only reason is because I would like to attend a bigger school. At the moment this is my home and I love being there. When I come back from break or a weekend of being back at my hometown I feel back at where I belong. Everyone here is incredibly genuine and nice. I have found some people that I will be friends with for the rest of my life. Very nice school.

Tiana

Grand Valley is the perfect medium sized university. Due to that fact, class sizes aren't typically super big so it's really easy to get one on one time with professors and they make a point to actually learn your name and help the best they can. The buildings and campus overall is really clean and picturesque. Sporting events are also extremely fun to go to because of the size of the school, it's much easier to actually see and get really into the games. Transportation around campus is also super efficient and easy to understand, so getting from class to class quickly is not really an issue. Overall, GVSU is a great university for someone who doesn't want to go to a huge college with 50+ student classes, but also wants to avoid going to a really small college where athletics or extracurriculars aren't as present.

Alexandra

While the social scene isn’t as noteworthy as ASU’s or ‘Bama’s (rolltide!), and the academic scene is no ivy league comparison, Grand Valley still ranks pretty high in all the categories. It is perfectly located between Grand Rapids and Lake Michigan, allowing for city days and beach days alike. The football season is the best, plus tickets are free for students! The classes and professors are amazing. There is a club or organization for just about anyone out there. And, don’t even get me started on campus dining (two words - Laker Bowl). The food is surprisingly great! To top it all off, Grand Valley even offers a variety of scholarships to make it affordable to attend. Grand Valley is an exciting place to attend college, but isn’t overwhelming like some large universities could be. It’s the perfect place for you to grow and find out who you are in your precious college years.

I can honestly say that I love Grand Valley! As soon as I stepped foot onto campus, I knew I was meant to be there. Everyone on campus is so nice and always willing to talk or help you out. It's super easy to make friends and your professors genuinely care about you along with your grades. The on campus housing is great and that is another way to make friends! All of Grand Valley's facilities are also really nice and we, as students, get to use them for free!

Kristin

I really love Grand Valley state and truly found it to be my home away from home. Everyone is extremely friendly and it is not hard to fit in. There is something for everyone and is super easy to get involved. Very happy with my choice of going to GV because it has brought me so many life long friends.

Allie

The social life of the school is incredible with many different ways to get involved, there are so many clubs and opportunities for discussion. Not every professor is equally great however there are so many for every course that you are bound to find one who suits your liking. The overall experience at Grand Valley is amazing and choosing this school will not be a decision you regret!

Danielle

I absolutely love Grand Valley. To me, I feel that this college is the perfect place for me. Grand Valley has the perfect balance of education and fun. Grand Valley is also located in a beautiful, big city that is full of life and is close enough to campus that it makes the experience even better.

Grand Valley is a great school filled with great people and opportunities. The campus is safe and a good size. Love how there is a campus in Grand Rapids as well. Overall, great community and academics. Sports could be improved a bit, but they are doing well. Students and faculty are wonderful.

Allyson

Overall, I enjoyed my first year spent at Grand Valley State University and look forward to the years to come. It is a safe and happy environment with the freedom to be and accept who you want to be. My favorite thing about the campus is all of the opportunities to better yourself and plan your future that are available.

Kelsey

I love Grand Valley. The school is very welcoming, and everyone is so kind. It has a beautiful campus, and it isn't too big or too small. The typical class sizes are large enough to have sufficient conversations about the subject, but small enough that you get to know your peers, and the professors learn everyones names fairly quickly.

Darby

Grand Valley State University is a fantastic choice for anyone's undergraduate interests. The Allendale campus is stunningly beautiful and always expanding. With new buildings and modern technologies come modern styles of teaching in addition to traditional. Since Grand Valley is a liberal arts college the professors make themselves readily available to students whether it be extended office hours, private meetings, or even if it means discussing those tough physics questions over coffee. Aside from academic life, there are multitudinous opportunities on campus to help students get involved. If clubs aren't your thing you will find a friend group in no time. One of the best things about Grand Valley is the diversity. Although the student population consists heavily of Caucasian Michiganders we take pride in our minority awareness as well as LGBTQ and women's resources. Grand Valley State University also offers an honors college which will fast track you when starting your undergraduate degree. This program allows students to avoid some of those pesky gen eds and delve into their major prerequisites right away. Now I did rate my university four stars out of five and I would have to say that one star loss can definitely be attributed to the food on campus. Campus dining is nothing to look forward here. Not only is the food quality sub-par, but there is only one "buffet" on campus, and the majority of the meal options are attached with plus ones or plus twos. This means you have to pay an additional dollar or two with your already paid for meal. I can't completely degrade the dining program on campus; I do believe we have the lowest meal plan costs in the state of Michigan. Grand Valley is perfect for students who want to live in a place that is specifically for college students. The university is 20 minutes outside Grand Rapids so the appeal of nightlife and breweries are still there, but it is nice to go back to a quiet dorm/apartment after the downtown pub crawls and parties have ended. I would urge anyone to come and tour Grand Valley State University. Although the website is great, visiting the campus and feeling what it is like to be a part of the Laker family is what made me decide to attend GVSU.

Aubrey

I absolutely love Grand Valley! I feel like every single person who is at this school is meant to be there, we all have a place to belong. The campus is also absolutely beautiful, I never want to leave campus. The academics are also amazing, I have never had a professor who I didn't like and I have never failed a class here. Professors care about you and want you to strive. It's a wonderful environment to grow in!

madison

I love how the campus is near a larger city but it is in a rural location. We can get the best of both worlds. I feel safer in the rural, closed setting. That is why I'm choosing this school. I didn't like how MSU and UofM were in the middle of downtown locations.

Andrew

Grand Valley is a very good school. The experiences I have made I wouldn't trade for the world. The University has plenty of opportunities. The only thing I would change would be the food quality maybe just one nicer food option. And the off campus house is average.

Beth

I love Grand Valley State! I have previously attended another university and I am sad that I wasted that year something else. In the summer time, I miss school and I can't wait to come back to campus. People are very nice and the facilities are amazing. Overall, I would definitely recommend GVSU to everyone else!

Rachael

Grand Valley has lived up to my expectations so far. Classes are small and because it is not a research institution, professors often care about their students and want to get to know them. There are tons of activities for students to get involved it as well.

I think GVSU is a very underrated school, at least when I comes to the engineering college. The courses are vigorous and do a good job of weeding out the people that don't have the stamina for the curricula. The established co-op program provides students with one full year of industry experience required to graduate.

Emma

Upon visiting Grand Valley State, I came across so many positive attributes and an endless amount of opportunities and room for growth. Grand Valley puts alot of effort into making it's campus clean, safe, affordable and overall home away from home for their students. They truly are the best of the best.

Marques

Grand Valley is hands down my best decision as far as a college decision. While it took some getting used to, I have grown to love the students and the faculty on campus as well as the campus itself. The sport events on campus are always very fun to go to. I can’t wait to graduate and become a Laker for a Lifetime.

narahi

Grand Valley has been a good experience. The professors make themselves very available to students and the class sizes are on the smaller size and it makes you feel like you can have your voice, opinion or questions heard. The campus is also on the smaller size, so getting around campus does not take too long.