Grand Valley State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Grand Valley State University

narahi

Grand Valley has been a good experience. The professors make themselves very available to students and the class sizes are on the smaller size and it makes you feel like you can have your voice, opinion or questions heard. The campus is also on the smaller size, so getting around campus does not take too long.

Shelby

All of the teacher that I have had seem as though they do care about you and your education. They attempt to help out in any way that they can and offer their support as well. Some of the teachers I have become very acquainted with and I like how personable that they are. This allows me to look forward to going to class and learning

Anna

I greatly struggled when deciding on a school but I so happy I chose Grand Valley. I love that it has the feel of a small campus but has the opportunities that a school with 25,000 students can provide. It's amazing and I would highly recommend to any student who wants to ease into the college atmosphere and feel prepared.

Anastalia

I'm an out of state student from Illinois and although it was a big change and adjustment for me, I enjoy learning at Grand Valley State. The people always encourage participation and to join whatever they are interested in or make a difference to better our community.

Caroline

My life has become so much better since I started at Grand Valley State University. The atmosphere of the school is better than any other college campus I have attended, and I would absolutely recommend this school to anyone looking at a four year university.

Lizett

I love everything about it, never regretted my decision to apply! I am still not moved in yet, but i have seen many housing options and they are very nice and new. I visited many colleges before i decided to attend Grand Valley, but Grand Valley has always felt like my home.

Torrie

In my opinion, I believe that Grand Valley State University is an amazing university. There so much diversity among the students and staff. The professors are always accessible outside of class and very helpful. The students are friendly and everyone can make friends easily. There are so much extracurricular activities to do. You just have to go out and get invovled. The campus food is good but it can get tiring after awhile. There are many housing options on campus and everything on this campus is relatively new. Overall, I believe that everyone should at least our this campus and give it a chance. The campus is beautiful and will absolutely impress you. Grand Valley is the best place for me and I'll always be a laker for a lifetime.

At Grand Valley State University, we like to identify ourselves as “Lakers for a Lifetime”. As an aspiring social worker pursuing my second degree from this school, “Laker for a Lifetime” is a badge I wear proudly. My experiences at GVSU have taught me and continue to teach me how to excel as a student, a professional, and a community member. Through my undergraduate education at GVSU, I developed a deep desire to do clinical work in mental health. Because of everything GVSU has offered me so far, it seemed fitting to remain at GVSU for my Masters of Social Work program. Through their MSW program, I am gaining the knowledge and skills needed to become an excellent licensed clinical social worker. This campus has a way of bringing about the best in people. It was at GVSU’s campus bookstore where I worked my first job and was eventually promoted to student manager. Through GVSU’s Greek Life, I affiliated with a sorority of over 100 philanthropic and scholarly women who empowered me to become a thriving leader on campus. Eventually, I was able to lead and empower other women as Chapter President of that sorority. Myself and other campus leaders founded Greeks Against Sexual Assault and promoted the It’s On Us campaign. On this campus, we work tirelessly to take social justice efforts outside of the classroom. GVSU continues to provide me with the tools to change the world, and I dream of using those tools to change lives, one at a time.

I absolutely love Grand Valley State University!! I can't wait to attend there this fall!! I have visited campus and been throughout campus many times, in fact I have stayed the night on campus! I absolutely love it!!! I would definitely recommend this college to anyone who asks.

Cierra

Grand Valley State University has a gorgeous campus and many useful facilities. I am particularly fond of the Mary Idema Pew Library, which is a hot spot for student activity. GVSU also has an awesome honors program that I am a member of. The honors college offers many opportunities for students to engage in intellectually stimulating conversation and to form communities together. However, the dorms tend to be very quiet and boring because students are busy studying in their dorms so they don't socialize much. All of the professors I have had so far have been great and have offered many opportunities for students to ask questions outside of class. When it comes to food, GVSU doesn't have the best selection. Many of the food offered there are sub par and don't have much variety. Overall, GVSU is a great university that I would recommend to just about anyone and learning there so far has been a very enjoyable experience.

Parker

Grand Valley State is a fine institution with many different programs to be offered. The campus is beautiful and there are lots of extracurricular activities to partake in. Class sizes are small and professors are always within reach. The sports teams are also very reputable and the school gets behind them.

Vivian

GVSU is a beautiful campus with hiking trails nearby and Lake Michigan only a short drive away. The main campus is covered with art and nice landscaping. The PEW campus located downtown Grand Rapids is just as beautiful giving students a feel for the city. The community is friendly and very involved in campus happenings. Grand Valley State University is an excelent school.

Katie

Choosing to attend GV was easily the best decision I have ever made. When choosing a college I had a good handful of options, but none of my options really stuck out as "the one", so on a whim, I chose Central Michigan University. However, soon after I decided to attend CMU I visited GV and fell in love with the campus, attending GV was now a must. Despite my first year of college being cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I definitely made the right decision. GV's student life is terrific and almost everyone is involved in some sort of club or organization. For the most part, I felt very comfortable with all of my professors and overall engaged with all of my classes. If you are looking for a smaller campus with a big campus feel, GV is definitely the place for you.

William

I LOVE IT AT GVSU! The classes are small, so your professor gets to know who you are. A few even give you grades on attendance. There are plenty of places to eat on campus and into the late night hours. I would like to see a 24 hour eatery though. The dorms are pretty nice compared to many other schools. There are amazing affordable off campus apartments also. There are plenty of intramural sports and clubs to join. I'm glad I chose GVSU.

Jeff

I like it, Im on track team. It's a very nice campus, I feel very safe, as It is much nicer than the area that I came from. I love being on the track team, and love my experience here. However, I would transfer if I'm not on the team, It's too small for me.

Anela

Grand Valley has is a very satisfying college. The staff and students there are all kind and there's lots of people who are willing to help with whatever you need. The classrooms are small and the professors can interact with each student individually. Rooms at GVSU are clean and are newer than most collages. Overall Grand Valley is the nicest college I have visited.

Sydney

Grand Valley is perfect for the student who needs a little extra help in the classroom. The campus is smaller and has amazing facility that is always willing to help. The class sizes are generally smaller which is super helpful for those that need a little more involvement in their education. Along with free tutors and homework centers to help whenever needed as an amazing perk of the school!

Destyni

Grand Valley State University is a stellar school! The staff and students are extremely kind and helpful. The atmosphere is amazing and the place instantly feels like home! I love the diversity, and the variety of people you will have the opportunity to connect with. I love the opportunities they provide for students to thrive academically, physically, socially and even spiritually. Grand Valley State University offers a workout facility that is free to students, campus ministry, tutoring centers, many extracurricular activities to strive and reach one's full potential. . GVSU has so many astounding characteristics and they're a fantastic school! The food is great, professors are amazing, and the scenery of the campus is immaculate. I have no regrets in choosing Grand Valley to attend for my undergraduate degree. I am a proud laker for a lifetime!

Originally, I had wanted to go to Grand Valley because of how it was close to my home to visit on the weekends but far enough that my family wouldn't come up every single weekend. As I began my journey into college life and this newfound independence I discovered Grand Valley to be an excellent fit for me. The atmosphere is that of kindness and understanding as I had so much curiosity and stupidity in all the questions I asked but it help me to make connections with incredible people. There is so much on campus to help you succeed in academics, making connections, and having a social life. They have the 2020 desk in Kirkhof and any question you have they can answer (though if you go philosophical you might be in for a long haul). Need help academically they have a tutoring center. Need a workout but don't know where to start they have a program called u-fit where they work with you to create a workout customized for you. They provide so much to help you succeed that anywhere you turn you can find what you need. However, if you find yourself without a car then it might be a bit tiring during the weekend as there isn't much on campus unless you head to Grand Rapids. It has opened up my mind to the world and my community, I don't think I could see myself as anything else but a Laker for a lifetime!!

Shelby

It is an amazing school and I am so happy I chose to attend this university. It is very easy to become involved in campus life. There are also so many opportunities available to students. The university is designed for student success in academics, social life, and the job market.

Steven

Its a good school for people who people who belong. If you want a big school that cares a lot about its sports teams, don't go here. The people are okay, but it gets super cliquey so that shits annoying, but I'm sure its like that everywhere. The dorms and food suck though. Especially the food. On the bright side, the professors here are amazing! they're very down to Earth and always willing to help.

Madeline

This campus is great if you're going into engineering, or if you're largely into partying. Other than that, it's pretty average. There have been huge issues this semester with rapes and robberies. The freshmen dorms are horrible, and I'm definitely paying way too much for what is being offered. Overall, the academics aren't awful, but the campus is not something I am comfortable with.

I am extremely impressed with Grand Valley. I completed my undergraduate degree at a different institution, and had high expectations entering my current program. They have exceeded my expectations. The class size is small, which helps me to feel important and noticed by staff.

Kasey

Grand Valley is a college where anyone can find a niche. Whether you were a sheltered kid, the jock, the nerd, emo, or whatever, there is always a place to go because this school just pieces people together naturally; it doesn't feel forced. While it is on the smaller side, it makes getting to know your classmates, professors, and the facilities much easier. Besides, Grand Rapids is only a short trip away and Lake Michigan as well. While the engagement and helpfulness of different classes vary, most professors will be willing to help you find success and make class worth your while, as long as you engage as well. People are very friendly here. Would recommend GVSU for anybody just because no matter your background, it eases the transition into the real world.

Chad

Grand Valley State University is a great college. I am glad I went here just as most of my family has. Overall Grand Valley has been a great experience and offers many learning opportunities for many different fields of study. Laker for a life time!

Erin

Everyone I talk to say that they LOVE(D) Grand Valley State University, and I agree! GVSU has so much to offer and almost everyone you meet are super friendly. There are a lot of social opportunities and opportunities to make friends. The campus is beautiful, too.

Hayden

I admire that Grand Valley prides itself on being a fair and welcoming environment. The programs are excellent; for example, Grand Valley is the largest provider of medical field workers in West Michigan. My program, education, is one that is also well renowned. Several of my teachers in my pre-college years received their degrees from Grand Valley, which is what made me interested in it. Overall, I think Grand Valley earns its high ranking in Princeton Review's Best of the Midwest list; I love it there.

Dana

I just finished my freshman year of college last spring, I had an awesome experience. All of the friends I’ve made so far seem to be lifetime friends, the professors were awesome as well and were always there to help whenever it was needed. Every class I took made me thinking and expanded my knowledge and different ways of learning from anything I had ever experienced it high school. The school spirit is definitely present.

Kapri

Grand Valley State University is the best school that has happened to me so far in life. This school is everything to me. The campus is nice and beautiful. The staff is wonderful. It's never a dull moment on G.V.S.U. Campus. It is always something to do on Campus

Grand Valley State University is easily one of the top colleges that I viewed over the state of Michigan. The staff is very resourceful and do not seem annoyed at all when a large amount of questions are asked in a small amount of time. The campus is beautiful with older styled architecture and it feels very safe all the way around. Campus police are always on point. There really is a club and place for everyone to be.

Kari

I greatly enjoyed my time at Grand Valley, and believe it is a wonderful school that's in a bizarre place. It's main campus is in a very small town, but they have a dedicated shuttle (that students ride for free - up to and including all the local bus routes) that will take you into Grand Rapids, the closest city, in about a half hour. The professors were wonderful, the housing was nice with a variety of styles accommodating freshman, older students, families, etc.

Kayanna

The campus is beautiful and the teachers are all very accessible and very diverse! They genuinely care about your success, but you have to put in the work. Students are very friendly, and getting involved in some of the many events going on is a fun and easy way to meet people and get free food.

Nathan

I love the school. They provide great resources as well as plans of help to keep students focused and on track. The campus is super friendly and its easy to meet new people and get help on current assignments. There is always something to do the school board always comes up with creative themes to do to help students stress at various parts of the semester

Sandra

Overall I enjoyed my time at GVSU. I loved that the main campus is not that far from Grand Rapids. It made commuting a lot easier especially with their bus system. I love that they are expanding their downtown campus especially over by the CHS building. I think it’s about time that they realized that having a parking ramp over there is important. Even though I already graduated from there I am excited to see the new changes that they will make.

Deb

Grand Valley is a friendly and vibrant school. Professors are always willing to talk and help out. Students are kind and friendly, holding doors for each other. The facilities are well cared for and up to date. And with all the food options, you can't really complain.

Love Grand Valley. Would recommend this college to anyone!

Justin

I love the atmosphere of the Campus and can not wait to attend next fall. The people are very kind, and the whole facility is modern. Most of the housing is pretty new and clean, and very nice compared to many other colleges. There is also a lot of greenery on campus, so it connects you with nature.

Makaella

GVSU has amazing facilities. The library is beautiful and student art is all around campus. The atmosphere is beautiful. It is kept very clean and it is surround in nature trails. The professors care for all students and work hard so that students can succeed!

Rebecca

Grand Valley is a large school but because of the diverse clubs, it's easy to find a good group of friends! The professors are great and many offer 1 on 1 time! The food is okay but whatever school you go to, you get sick of the food. The buildings are beautiful since most of them aren't old. I love it!

Although I am only a freshman this year and have not spent an overwhelming amount on campus, I can already tell that it is going to be a place that I will fall in love with. There are so many available resources and activities, and it is filled with friendly people. It is a place that I am excited to call home for the next few years.

Camryn

I love Grand Valley. The campus is the perfect size, and it's filled with natural beauty. The food is great, and the people are very friendly. Grand Valley is a great choice for someone who doesn't want to attend huge school, but also wants a full college experience.

Jordan

Before attending college, I was super hesitant about it. I was afraid that I wouldn't enjoy it and that it wouldn't be for me, but at Grand Valley I feel like i'm at home. Everyone is so kind and the staff members in every department are very helpful. I've been learning so much and would highly recommend this college to others. There are so many on and off campus opportunities for every person and I am honestly proud to be a Laker.

I absolutely LOVE this school and its campus! It’s gorgeous and everyone is so friendly! I always feel as if my professors are available to talk intellectually and answer any and all questions I may have. I’ve never felt unsafe while walking around campus, be it day and night,

Katlyn

Overall, I love attending GVSU and I have not regretted my decision. It is the perfect school to attend if city life and large campuses make you uncomfortable. However, there are other places to go not far from campus. 45 minutes away is Lake Michigan if you want to go to the beach and 20 minutes in the other direction is downtown Grand Rapids if you want a cool city full of art, music, and good food. Everyone on campus is very friendly and I have never had a problem here.

Floyd

This school is huge and have a lot to offer! They have an ultimate goal of making sure every student succeed. They are always available via several ways. I want this school to be my alma mater and will happily recommend this school to friends and family!

Teagan

An exemplary campus uniquely situated in an area where otherwise there’d be no life but that of cattle and corn. Every single building at Grand Valley has a modern edge to it with plenty of windows, a welcome change from the way High School felt like a prison sentence. The off campus housing is diverse and located near enough that buses run at all hours — a godsend when parking is a nightmare at peak hours. The staff are friendly and ready with a smile, and the professors willing to let people sit in on their classes to get a vibe for the place they might spend the next four years of their life. Overall, I love Grand Valley and the completely at-odds placement of the main campus. It’s always been a hallmark of my town and a competing science school on par with anything else in the area.

Alyssa

Grand Valley does a great job accommodating students of all different types with all different interests. There are plenty of services around campus for those who struggle with different subjects, and clubs for basically any interest. Overall, it's​ a pretty big school with a large student body, but it doesn't really feel that way on campus.

Raven

I really enjoy GVSU. There are lots of resources for students to use in every aspect of college life, including counseling for students who need help with mental illness or stress, access to professors outside of class, opportunities to have needs met, such as the pantry in one of the campus buildings where students can go when they can't afford groceries, a recreation center that is free for student use, and plenty of events and organizations for students to enjoy their hobbies with others, branch out and try new things, and meet new people. All professors I have had thus far have cared greatly for their students and their success. They take into consideration the opinions and needs of their students and use them as ways to improve their classes for the future. The campus itself is absolutely beautiful and, aside from the occasional orange thrown from Fresh Food Company onto Pine Living Center, very clean. There are always opportunities to get outside and enjoy the view. In addition, campus housing is nice. While there are limited traditional/cluster/suite style living spaces with air conditioning, they are all still well-kept and good spaces to spend the year. There are lots of options for off-campus apartments as well, making it easy for students to start breaking away and furthering their independence as an adult. Overall, GVSU is a wonderful, amazing, welcoming campus with opportunities for anyone and everyone.

Barbara

There is no other University that supports their students like GVSU. From fellow classmates to professors to the mascot! Grand Valley opens your eyes to so many opportunities and ideas that allow you to discover yourself and where you want to go in life. There is nothing better than being a “Laker for a Lifetime!”

I really enjoy being a part of Grand Valley State University. I enjoy how everything is localized on campus or in the surrounding areas. There are many things to do on and off campus. The people here are all very polite and excited to be here. I am glad I chose to attend classes here.