Grand View University Top Questions

If I could go back in time when I was a senior, I would have focus more on completing college and start my nursing career.

Zakir

I would tell myself to keep on doing me! So far, I haven't experienced anything in college that I heavily regret. The only minor adjustment I would say to myself is to take more classes my fall semester. I had tons of freetime in the fall and now in the spring I barely have any freetime. Add another class to my fall semester of college so transitioning between fall and spring won't be so bad. I would also tell myself another minor thing, work hard in the weight room! You're a student athlete and you're blessed to be playing volleyball at a school that has the number one team in the nation! Don't cheat yourself or your teammates by going in the weight room and going through the motions. Take lifting seriously because it will make you feel better about yourself and make you a better volleyball player.

Adrianna

I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible so that I wouldn’t have to take out loans and accumulate debt. I would also tell myself to take advanced classes during my senior year to prepare myself for the transition into college courses. I would have encouraged myself to start taking MCAT prep courses so that I was prepared to take the standardized test needed for entry into medical school. I would tell myself to be more involved in campus life including clubs and sports. It would have kept me healthy and developed a social life with students at the school. The last advice I would give myself is to take each day and tackle each semester one day at a time and to start studying for test as soon as the material is given to you. If you take college a day at a time you won’t get so overwhelmed and if you study as the material comes, you will not have to cram the night before tests. As a result, you will be more successful on tests and more successful as a college student.

If I could go back to my high school self planning for college, there would be a few things I'd tell my self. The first thing, APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIP! At the time I didn't really understand how much college was going to total to at the end or what the payments would be. What interest was. In my mind, I was thinking I could just worry about it when I got older. Well I am older now and its hard to pay for. I also would tell myself to make payments on my loans so I wouldn't owe as much. The second biggest thing would have been to experience the college life more. I was too worried about working. I would have been more active in college to have those memories and experience. Maybe not live on campus. But go to events, join clubs, try for a soriety, make friend. Be a college student and only work part time to have cash. Life can wait. Enjoy college while you can. You only can experience those first four years once in your life. Working is the rest of your life.

If I went back in time and talked to myself about college I would say, STOP WORRYING. I know college is a new experience, but it is exciting and there is nothing to worry about. I would also tell myself to get familiar with the campus and get to know your roommate before time. I would definitely tell everyone to live on campus. It is very important to get the whole college experience!

After completing my first degree I realized that my passion was not in Culinary Arts, but instead it was in education. Since enrolling in Grand View University I have learned what it is to be passionate about something and how to share that passion with others. Both my instructors and my classmates strive to their best in each of their roles. Before enrolling here I was simply concerned with passing the classes that I was in. GPA was not something that meant much to me. Now that I am at Grand View that idea has completely turned around for me. I have put my best foot forward and after four semesters have been able to achieve a 3.906 GPA, something I never imagined could be a possibility.

Keisha

Being a senior in highschool I thought I had it made. Being a senior I was on top and nothing could stand in my way of having and unforgettable year. Yes, it was and unforgettable year because of drama and personal issues that came into my life. At one point I didn't care and I thought I could coast by because I had already been accepted to college of my choice. Coasting by was the exact opposite of me because I always did what I was told. I wanted to make a statement so I began to rebel and started acting out. College is always viewed as having the time of your life and being away from your parents. I would probably tell myself that highschool isn't forever and being liked isn't the only thing that matters. Just because I was popular in highschool doesn't mean that its going to be the same in college. You know the saying me, myself and I? Well that's all you've got when you first get to college. Its a new beginning and its up to you to live life to the fullest.

If I could go back in time to give myself some advice about going to college, the biggest thing would probably to be VERY open-minded. I never considered myself "stuck in my ways" but after being thrown into a mix of so many different people and different experiences I think I could have done better with my reactions. College is about "the new." Everyone has their own opinions which differ drastically, and they all have their own story. I would tell myself to just relax, go with the flow, and let these new people and their stories help shape you. Being afraid of the change is only going to hurt you. Embrace what seems strange or odd, try all the possibilities, and forget the thoughts of embarrassment. If you do embarrass yourself, you can atleast laugh about it later. You won't have this experience for long so you need to live it up. Some day, you will thank me.

Simonne

Were I given the chance to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior. The number one thing I would tell myself is "Organize yourself and your time. Be disciplined, and when you have the chance to work ahead or get an assignment turned in early, Do It!" It has taken me a while to learn that, but you never know what will happen last minute and having an assignment or homework done ahead of time will help you out so much. This way, you CAN go out for dinner with friends even though your final project is due tomorrow, because you have it finished. This was of huge benifit to me this last semester when I got sick the week before finals. It was bad enough I had to go to the hospital and get a heart monitor. Fortunately I had turned in my Psycology Portfolio in three days early and I did not have that burden on my mind. When you are a full time student and work a job, your time is valuable and the sooner you realize that and are able to manage it well, the sooner you will be successfull in school.

Kendra

Hello Kendra, this is you at 33. Do not attempt college right now, you?re not ready! I know you think a path is laid for you, but you are the maker of your own path. If you try and go to school now, you will spend the next 10 years lamenting the failed attempts at college, instead of treasuring the wonderful memories and times you have. Do not let this be a black mark on your heart. Instead let this dream go for now and pick it back up once you have gained self confidence, control, and the true desire to finish college. Travel around the world; learn through living life than take that back to school. Use the tools you obtained in the real world to absorb the formal education later in life. Life should not be about regret, and your life was never a laid out path with obstacles. Life is a journey with good and bad experiences. In truth though, 18 year old me....you will learn all of this the way I had to, as I still have much to learn myself. Good Luck!

Capricia

If I could go back, I would tell high school Capricia to study harder. She should take more advanced class and challenge herself. I would tell her not to sweat the small stuff. Being the most popular person means nothing in the long run. Life is too short to worry about what everybody thinks about you. Getting your degree is the ultimate goal, and the transition isn't as bad as you may think its going to be. Keep trying, the sky is the limit. You are able to do whatever you set your mind to. Dad would be so proud.

The college experience can't compare with anything else in life. It is a once in a lifetime chance to find out who you are. College is not only about education, but finding beliefs, friends, an what life is all about. I learned that I can't make decisions based on my emotions, but I need to make them on committments. The decisions I have made on emotions have led me astray. Another thing is make sure that you are well prepared in time management. I have seen many kids fail in my class from spending all their time partying and having fun. They skipped studying and doing homework and had to leave school for failing. During your first year at college, you will not need to know what you want to do for your whole life, but I am sure that it will be figured out along the way. College is meant to stretch your thinking and mind. It will make you do things you never thought that you would. For me speaking in front of people was the last thing and now I can give a speech anytime anywhere.

I would advise myself to go out and take a couple college courses before I start college, learn how to do laundry before leaving home, try to influence the younger high schoolers in a good way before I head out, and make priorities in my life. I wish I would have practiced time management more my senior year and done more constructive things with my time. If I could tell myself as a senior to be less nervous for college I would. After finally getting to college and living here for a here I am not afraid to do anything. I would tell myself that getting into relationships with so many girls in one years only brings heartbreak and sorrow. That is all I would want to tell myself as a high school senior. I regret nothing, but if I had to thats what I would say.

Charisse

The advice I would give is to make sure it's the school you want to go too. Don't go there because your friend is there. Do your work but have fun at times so you don't stress yourself out. Most all just have fun in school.

Phillip

The Advice I would give parents and/or students about finding a college would be first find out if the college has the major that one is trying to pursue. Following that find out if the college is the right size for that student that is attending. After that look and find out the placement percentage after graduation. Socially find out if the campus life is fit for the student that would be attending. Are the living spaces fit for the student. Is there a lot of drug use and binge drinking. Find out if there are a lot of activities to get involved in at this college. Last visit the scool and see if it the student feels comfotable attending the school .

Take the time to discover the good and bad qualities of multiple schools. The more a person knows about the schools, the better chance they have of finding the right college. If a person is undecided for a major, look into smaller, cheaper colleges that still offer a variety of options. Once they are at the college, they can take several differing class and will maybe discover the right field of study for themselves. This way they are not wasting money as they search for a lifelong career. Overall, choose the college that brings out your true colors and will allow you to shine.

The best advice that I can give about picking a school is it should feel like home. The school you pick is where you will reside for two to four years. The more comfortable that you feel there the more opportunities you will take advantage of. Home is where everyone feels safe and protected. Its having that home feeling at the college or university you pick that will help the person starting fell as though they can branch out. When you feel at home with your chosen school you will take the opportunites that are offered such as intermurals, clubs, and other on campus activities. Even if you are a shy person you should take advantage of all on campus activites, its these types of events where you make lifelong friends, and maybe meet the love of your life. Just remember take advantage of everything! You are paying to be there make the most of what is offered for free!

Krista

The only way to find the right collge is to get out there and look around and to pick a college "for you", and visit that college and a few second pics more then once. Try to pick a place that you can look at it, and be able to immagine that you can make this be your new home. The best way to make the most out of a college experience is to leave your door opened allow yourself to meet new people and join a club or organization or two, because the peers in these clubs or sports will basicly become a family away from home. Many times this also alows for you to travel, meet more people, and feel as if there is never a dull moment of your campus life. Also try and know as much about what you want to do in the beginning because it will really help you get ahead, having atleast picked the direction you are aiming for such as art or medical, exc. Just keep a good outlook on things, be yourself and join in and you will make your college experience, your own.

Ami

Make sure you start early when looking at different schools. Many families rush into this process and find out later on that this was not what they were expecting/wanting for education. Also, make sure to really think about what you would like to do every day of your life, there are times I still wonder. Go to the school for you, not anyone else.

Get invovled and enjoy yourself. Find yourself and don't be afraid to be yourself. Make friends and connections. Always have an open ear, heart, and mind.

The advice that I would give future college students and their parents about chosing the right school would be to make plenty of campus visits. The more you visit the school, the more comfortable you feel and the more familiar you become with the atmosphere. Talk to current students at the school, ask questions, and meet professors. All of these things will help you to see what each school is like and will make it easier for you to know whether you would feel comfortable there or not. Advice that I would give about making the most of your college experience would be to get out there and try new things. When you get involved you will feel much more connected to your fellow students and faculty. Don't try to overload yourself and get involved with everything all at once, but try a few things here and there, even if it seems scary or different. You will be glad you tried it, even if it ends up not being for you.

Making the right college choice and most of the college experience begins before applying for college. Finding the right school for you is the most crucial part of having a positive college experience. Starting about two years before graduation it is a good idea to begin attending college visits, this gives insight to what the college or university has to offer and if its enviornment is what you are looking for. It is also a good idea to have at least some idea on what you would like to major in, even if you are not 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}, find a school that has the same subjects that you found interesting in high school. Once you have found a school to attend, I have found some good tips from my own experience to make your college experience the best it can be. Living on campus in the dorms your first year is very important because it is the eaisest way to meet friends and you are likely to have them your entire college career. Also, it is important to do well acedemically your first year of college; it sets a good base and will make your workload eaiser in the long run.

Amara

When looking at a college it is always important to know how the financial aid office can help. It's also very important to know where you're supposed to go when a question or situation arises. Another important thing to keep in mind is that the community is good for the college student. If a parent feels that there is to much leincy or not enough of a sense of community, then chances are it's not a great school. It is really important that the needs of the college student are kept in mind.

Kristine

What you put into the college experience is what you'll get out of it, even if you're simply looking at your options. Make a list of what you want in your ideal school, deciding which attributes you're willing to compromise on and which you're not. Are you willing to skimp on your preferred major if it means you'll be closer to home? Or are you willing to go to the other side of the country to a school that is renowned for its work in your chosen field? Once you actually start going to school, you have to remember to try! Friends will not magically appear the minute you step on-campus: you have to get involved and find them! Invest yourself in something on-campus, whether it be in sports or a club or a weekly bible study. I was on the verge of transferring to a different school when I discovered my college's theatre program. Once you find something to immerse yourself in, the transition doesn't seem so jarring or unexpected. Going to college is all about changing, and this particular change is something you have direct control over. Enjoy it!

The student should try to pick a school where they feel they will get the best education. They should not pick a school based on what friends are going there. The student should make a list of things they are looking for in a school and then find schools that meet the things on the list.

TiShawn

keep all your options open and decide for yourself not anyone else.

Make sure that there is the ability to express and explore ideas.

Find the college that suits you. Trust your instincts, if the college is notorious for being a party school and you want to buckle down and study hard, maybe that isnt the right place for you. No matter which college you choose know that you are going to have the time of your life. You are going to meet hundreds of people. Some of them you will like, others will disagree with you. No mater what happens though, you will meet someone who will impact your life forever! College is the time for you to discover who you are and who you want to become in the future.