Great Basin College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Great Basin College

K

Small, really small. Class size is just right. Online and Interactive classes are the only courses I've taken so far. For me, GBC has proven to be convenient for those who take online, interactive video courses, and for those enrolled in certificate programs. Affordable campus housing is lacking. Library hours are an inconvenience.

Breanna

Great Basin College overall is a reliable community college. The professors are helpful and always there to answer questions. There is a variety of degrees and majors to select from. The campus is easy to understand and find. The advisers are helpful and always around to help a student achieve their goals in college.

Carla

Great Basin College is a great place to go to school, especially for being a great distance from any major cities. The faculty seem to really care and try their best to offer certificates and degree programs that will help you earn a career in Elko, or transfer to a University with a solid educational base.

Griffeth

Great Basin College is a wonderfully accessible school to new college students, high school seniors, and students looking to transfer an undergraduate degree into a higher program elsewhere. This college has a central campus in Elko, Nevada, but also has satellite locations throughout the state. With most of their classes also being offered online, it is convenient to access a good education. The one major drawback to Great Basin College is that they are moving in an increasingly online-based direction. There are many classes that are not offered live anymore, which could prevent some students from learning as easily. On the other hand, the online setting of Great Basin College allows students from all over to attend, and it makes everything accessible. Despite this, GBC has a great student community that is large enough to provide new resources, friends, and such for all students, but remains close-knit. It is often that when beginning a new class, you may have previous peers learning alongside you. The advisers for many of the programs are great. My program in particular, the Bachelor of Applied Science - Management in Technology (MGTTEC-BAS or BAS-MT), has the best adviser. He remembers every student's name, their situations, questions, strengths, weaknesses, and more. It's great. That being said, I certainly would not have picked any other school to start my higher education career at.

gabriella

Great for online classes! I only took online class from Great basin college but never have I felt left out or never have I regret/dislike taking online classes from Great Basin College. I have seen pictures of their campus and looks very nice and clean. You can always email your professor and they will get back to you! Overall great experience.

Makaya

Great Basin college is not a bad school, as it is a simple community college I feel students get more than could be expected. They have pliable hours for class schedules so students can sign up for classes to work around work schedules or vice-versa.

Susana

This college is very sturdy, the teachers are practically always available, the library is rather good, and the advisors get to know you since it's not a large college. The campus itself is probably one of the prettiest places in Elko, it's where everyone gets their pictures taken for special events and the campus feels safe.

Allyson

GBC is an outstanding college. The instructors are always available to assist with a smile. If you are unable to meet with them on their time, it has been my experience that they pick up the phone and call you to ensure all academic needs are met. They are extremely fair and consistent with all forms of communication. Assignments and assessments are returned quickly with productive feedback. There are options on some assignments to "redo" if you feel that it was not your best work and the teachers are happy to review the work, as well.

Rex

If poor, using grants and loans, you will never get processed timely to start with class as in 3 semesters, Financial Aid processes in an incompetent manner which doesn't allow a student to start class when the actual classes start. Typically, I start a week, or two late, and don't have money for books until a few weeks after course has already begun. Care for students is attached to their administrative procedures....

Trenton

Disclaimer: I have not attended the college but I was originally planning to take online classes. My reason for not attending is because of my poor experience during the registration process, which I will go more in-depth about down below. Simply put, the communication between students and staff is laughable. I filled out the application in April and by July it still had not been "articulated" as they call it. In general, the staff was bad about answering phone calls. I remember attempting to contact one lady numerous times and I left multiple voice messages but I never actually got to talk to her. Even my advisor blew me off! Almost nobody at the school acts like they want your business. The tuition is cheap but, after my experience, it is pretty obvious why. The school just seems so unprofessional and I only recommend it if you do not have the money for a better school; just be prepared for a lot of headaches when applying and registering for classes.

Grace

People are very helpful and are willing to help you in any way they can. If you like small schools with class sizes ranging from 3 to 17 students, then I recommend this school. They have various different campuses, but I have only been to one. The professors here really want their student's to succeed with excellent scores and opportunities to help raise them in their career field. Most professors are very passionate about what they teach, trying to make the class more interesting.

Jaron