Greensboro College Top Questions

Dionne

I would tell myself to first take my college career very seriously. As a college student it is important to attend all classes, read all class materials, and to give the very best effort possible. It is also important to manage my time very well, and to devote ample time to studying. Do not just rely on the professor to teach you what you need to know, but take a vested interest in your education. Develop organizational skills and be prepared for class time, tests, and other activities. Also take advantage of study groups, and meeting other students that may have similar educational or career goals so that you have outside resources that can help you be successful. Never be afraid to ask questions, and reach out to any source that is available. As you move through your general education requirements, try to pay attention to what subjects you are passionate about because they are most likely an indicator of what your educational and career path could be. Take one class, one day, and one semester at a time so that you don't get overwhelmed. Lastly, enjoy this time because it is a great beginning

Kendall

Take advantage of the opportunities at hand. If given the chance I would have worked harder in classes and on the athletic field, even though I graduated high school with a 4.0 gpa and was an Divison 1 recruit in football. I did not take advantage of the opportunities I had. High school prepares us for the future in more ways than we realize. We can not sit back and expect everything to just fall in place. Sometimes we have to go get what we want. However my life is not over and the best is yet to come. God will take care of me as long as I continue to entrust my faith in him.

First, I would tell myself to get a dedicated, determined mindset about perservering through the challenges of college. It will require lots of reading, test taking(sometimes online) and patience with not so pleasant classmates. Oh, you'll need to be proficient in Microsoft Office, creating 3-8 page papers in APA style and determination for getting group projects completed on time. It is helpful to use a day planner so that you can keep your assignments organized, plan ahead for tests and exams and keep up with school breaks and holidays. Finally, don't forget to schedule time for you- take time each week to do something for you. Exercise, eat balanced meals and stay in touch with family and friends. Most importantly, develop a support system, whether it's a like-minded classmate, a program advisor or a friend at church. It pays to have a cheerleading section or least someone who will tell you- "you're doing great! - keep up the good work!" or "hang in there- you can do it!"

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to be actively involved in as many things as possible in college. I would tell myself to be careful who you trust because people are not as they seem. I would also tell myself not to bring so many things for the dorm room because dorm rooms are not very big; you will just end up having to take half of the stuff back home. I would let myself know that college is a whole lot of fun as long as you don't let yourself get caught up in all the drama. Something that makes college more enjoyable is if you don't party or drink and stay true to who you are . You are more likely to a acquire true friends and relationships if you are upfront and honest about your beliefs and opinions. You will have a wonderful experience as long as you are open to new experiences while still staying true to who you are.

Davit

Greensboro College has given me many valuable lessons. The college experience helped to be on my own and to achieve whatever goals I have. Even if there were things that I did not like about Greensboro College, this college has given me a number of valuable life lessons. For instance, I started to socialize more, find things out on my own, and solve any daily hassles that I might have had and so on. Therefore, it is very valuable to attend college not only for receiving degree but also for being prepared for a real life. I would encourage everyone who has the opportunity to attend college to do so. College has shaped lives of many people including me.

The advice I would give myself would be to make sure to listen very carefully to all instructions from the professors. Write down anything that may sound important even when it sounds off the wall. Many professors will mention a small tidbit and it will be a question on an exam. Other advice would be to make sure to make new friends. Many of the students met in college will be your friends for many years to come.

If I had the chance to go back to my senior year, I do believe I would have applied myself more than I did. I signed with a school early into my senior year, because I signed to play golf. Although I had already planned my future, I did not realize what was to come. I quickly started to slack off and my golf games and grades fell off miserably. I pretty much threw away two years of my life, between my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college. I now have turned everything around, and am currently making a 3.2 GPA as well as practicing more than I ever have before. I have learned from my mistakes that I made, and from here on out I know what it takes for me to succeed in not only school, but in my life as well.

I don't know that i'd give myself much advice, accept that i shold separate from my(at the time) boyfriend.

Krissa

When I was in high school I thought that I knew everything and that no one could tell me a thing. And up until last year I thought that way too. Until I got myself into some situations that I couldn?t get myself out of alone did I really realize that I needed to listen to others around me and take others suggestions. If could go back to my high school self, I would tell myself to listen to the advice that your teachers and parents are trying to give you. Even though you think you can do everything on your own, you cannot and need some guidance. Although I would love to tell myself this now, I am glad that I know this knowledge now and am becoming more successful every single day.

Stick it out even though going to a community college wasn't what you wanted for yourself. In a couple years you can go to a nice school and not feel guilty about spending so much on your education. Being in debt is not a smart way to start your future so make sure that you actually save the money you are earning at that soul-crushing job you have.

Major

I would now tell myself about how focused one has to be in order to succeed in college. I would also have told myself about how it's really not that big of a change from high school. I wouldn't come in expecting a brand new life. I also would advise myself to try and want to go to class and get in the habbit of looking forward to it, because it's very hard to push yourself to go to an 8 am class and you actually have a chose in going or staying in the bed.

I guess the only thing i'd really tell myself is listen to your instincts. That go to the school that fits, and not to second guess anything becaus I love where I am. I'd probably also warn myself to buy a few more posters because dorm walls look bare without color on them.

I would say visit as many schools as possible before choosing one they are interested in. Also ask about the dorms if they are safe or not. See what the size rate is for the classroom. Also check about tuition because if you cannot afford the college, do not go there. Making the most of college is making new friends and having a good time when you're not busy doing school work. Do not go home all the time if you are close. Hang out with those friends because they are the ones you will have forever. Go to sporting events to watch your school play; also get involved with some type of group if it's sports or the band. It not only looks good, but it is also fun.

When you visit a campus, meet some of the professors and some of the students. Really try to get a feel for what the college is like. Find somewhere that you feel you can see yourself being successful and happy for the next 4 years.

Teresa

The advice that I would give to parents is to talk to their child and make sure that they are ready to accept the task that is before them. College is no highschool. I will advise the parents to explain to their child that attending college is like taking on a full time job and that the student will get their salary once they walk down the aisle and accept their diploma. Prepare the child to be responsible for their actions. Meaning that the tasks or assignments are to be taken seriously and there is a deadline. College is too expensive and if the student is not ready to make a committment to strive and do the best that he/she can then , the parent must decide that their child is not ready. I would suggest to the parents to enroll their child into a two year program at a community college and see how the child adapts and performs and if the child does good, then the child can transfer to a four year college.

Cyndel

Decide what college you want to go to based on their academic standards, as an athlete don't just go to a college because they have the sport that you play. It's all about the academics because you are not going to get a degree by playing a sport. Pick a place that has the class size that you will feel most comfortable about. If you would like to communicate with your professors more often you need to pick a college that most likely has smaller classes. Stay involved with the student activities that are going around. You don't have to drink to have fun. Find somewhere that has places to go on the weekend just to get a break from your studies.

Lynn

When trying to decide which college is best for you, I think you need to have a basic understanding about what it is that you want. You need to know if you are a person who should be at a big school or if the smaller school with individual attention is more your speed. The more you know about the school, the better. Visit the school, talk to the students, sit in on the classes. You can never ask too many questions, after all, you are deciding what the next four years of your life are going to be like. On making the most of your college experience, all I can say is be willing to change. If you are unwilling to do that, than college is probably not for you. I know I have done a lot of changing in a small amount of time. Be open to new ideas and people you wouldn't normally hang out with because you never know what can happen. Put yourself out there, get involved, make friends, and be the first to volunteer. Leap into the experience and take advantage of every opportunity given to you.

Martina

It is important to check into financial aid and see what the school offers. It is also important to know when you can and cannot live off campus and what the meal plan is like. If you are required to have a meal plan and the food is bad, it is good to know where cheap food is around your college so you don't starve. Also, look online for college checklists so you know what to bring for your dorm room. Those lists have things that you wouldn't think to bring, but are really nice to have. If you know what you want to major in - that's great! If not, that's okay too! I would suggest looking into extra-curricular activies if you don't know your major so you can meet more people. The number one thing I can suggest is - make a roommate contract! Set up guidelines you both have to follow so if one of you does something the other one can't live with - you can find a new roommate. It will make your life so much easier and a contract is the fairest way to go.

Carson

talk with students and teachers before you attend any school, find out as much as you can.