El Cajon, CA
Grossmont College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Grossmont College

Kelly

The stereotype I think is variety in its diversity in being able to have different types of people go to this college. This is accurate because there are people like me who are disabled but have the resources to get extra help in classes. There are people from other states, other countries, different races, and personal preferences. My classes always have varied types of people to encourage diversity and let anyone have a chance at an education. The right thing is to have diversity not because its required but because its morally right and more open minded about the world.

Araceli

To have been fearless- that is the adivse I would give myself. After graduating high school, I had a great amount of pressure to know where to pursue my higher education. Truthfully, I was afraid to let it be known I was struggling to answer that question. I decided to postpone a four year university, and instead enrolled at Grossmont Community College. I recall being in class the first day, praying I had made the right decision. Unbeknownst to me, the best adventure of my life was ahead. At Grossmont College, I have created an identity and a purpose. I have been blessed with opportunities that have matched my life aspirations with career goals. The bonds and connections I have formed with professors and classmates, are ones I am certain will remain a lifetime. Forever I am grateful to God for all the blessings in disguse he has sent, as well as the mistakes I commited that strengthed my character and wisdom. In this moment of my life I am confident to enter a four year university with poise, as a confident young woman, who is ambitious to be known- I am fearless.

Many times when I let people know I attend a community college and not a four year university, they tend to judge it as less worthy. It has never negatively phased my perception, because although I am not currently enrolled in a university, that is ultimately my next path. Grossmont College offers great opportunities of succeeding through it's university level preparation work-load and course curriculums. I personally believe beginning education at a community college promotes a higher success rate upon entering a four year university.

I have always encouraged my friends to attend Grossmont College because of its afforability and career orientation. Many times after graduating from high school students are not entirely sure of where to begin or take their higher education, at Grossmont, you are able to discover your career interest without pressure or stress. There are classes dedicated to allow students to explore many professional fields in order to find the best match for their specific goal. In addition, tuition is fairly inexpensive, saving up to 10,000 dollars when compared to a four year university.

Lucy

The school is a great learning environment and you can take a lot away from learning here.

Take things step by step. You may not be able to have your plan A ready, not even your plan B. But just be sure that you take things step by step and keep an open mind to opportunities that may not present itself just yet. Remember where you are and how you got there. It wasn't your plan A nor B, but something you found out that could be helpful and you took a shot at it. Just go along with what happens. You'll figure it out later in the future.

The best thing about my school is that students are given opportunities to further their education and their lives.

Kristina

Students who are working hard towards a degree or transfer opportunity.

Students who are working hard towards a degree or transfer opportunity.

Grossmont offers a large amount of classes that are flexible and meet the students needs including online and evening classes.

John Steinbeck once said that “No one wants advice - only corroboration” and my younger self was the prime example of that phrase. If you didn’t agree with me then you had nothing I worth listening to. Or at least that was my opinion in those days. Like most youth, I was more interested in instant gratification and why did I need to go to college if I could make $800 every two weeks in fast food? This is where my advice to myself would begin. I would suggest researching more into the cost of living and what that paycheck of $800 will get you as you grow older and begin a family. You will be shocked to find that it will leave you below the poverty line and struggling to keep from drowning in debt. Today I would give myself the advice to stay in school, take your education very serious and strive to be the best that you can be. The hard work and commitment will pay off in your future and yes, sometimes older generations do know what they are talking about.

Aria

Going back to my high school self, I would tell her to first take a deep breath. Although it is a scary and new time it is also a new adventure. It is okay not to know what you want to do. This is the time to figure yourself out. The biggest point I would emphasize is to get the resources you need and not to feel embarrassed about it, which then will help being more productive in classes. Also I would have told myself to try more activities. Be open to trying new things, whether I liked them or not would help would help me discern what truly motivates me to become a better person. However meeting new people would also be valubale to you in any career path you choose. My high school self would be much better prepared if given this information before starting at Grossmont College.

That college is not as scary as it seems, or the way high school counselors made it out to be. It is challenging and broaden your views, but Grossmont is a school that is very accomodating and works with you to be the best you can be.

People that should attend grossmont should first and foremost be open minded and willing to learn. They may have been down on their luck with family or personal issues but now have the time to be able to improve their well being to get a better education and be able to move up to a preferable career, or acquire skills they have always wanted to learn.

Grossmont College is best known for their diversity and catering to all kinds of people. At Grossmont we have a lot of foreign exchange students and students with different backgrounds. It makes it a unique experience attending Grossmont.

During my senior year of high school I chose a career based on what my parents would approve of instead of something that I really wanted. It took me a year and a half to wake up and chose a career that would make me happy. In order to be more productive and happy, I would tell my high school self to make decisions for my future. In the end I will be the one who has to live with this career and not my parents. Making decisions for yourself is all about becoming an adult and I think I realize this now. Some decisions can be hard, but sometimes you have to make them.

The worst thing about our school would have to be the parking. During peak hours of the week it can take up to an hour to find parking because there are not enough spots for how many people attend Grossmont.

corryn

My school is great or students who want to get there GED out of the way and not pnd a ridiculous amount of money. I am getting to get my GED out of the way before i go to a 4 year university.

If i were able to go back, and speak to myself as a senior in high school I would tell myself to be more out going, and not afraid to be myself. When i say this by no means do i mean that i was the shy girl who would sit off to the side and eat lunch by herelf. i had plenty of friends, and was on the basketbll and volleyball team. However, i always seemed t be at home on the weekends reading a book or sitting doing nothing.i rarely ever went to the football games or the dances, like all the outher students. i was a great student and was able to carry that ability with me to college, although i wish i would have been able to do more. everyone says that your senior year of high school is one you will always rememeber, however mine is not so memerable. if i would have done the things i wanted to do and had fun living the high school life i wanted, maybe things would have been different. However, from looking back to the past the only thing i can do is change for the future.

The best thing about my school is being able to take the classes i need to transfer without pending a large sum of money that i can not afford

Justin

Grossmont College is known for being one of the top 100 associate degree granting community college in the nation. At Grossmont you can accumulate the required credits needed to transfer to a university which is why they are known for their tremendous record of sending young men to the university level. It's a great place for a second chance if you were overlooked in high school. Grossmont has a reputation for its high qauality instruction and many cultural contributions to the community.

I would tell myself to stay in school and make every effort to do your best. Set goals for yourself. Stay committed to your goals. Go back and check on your goals to see if you've achieved any and set more. Set short range goals that'll help you attain your long range goal. Take advantage of your instructors by getting whatever help you can get from them now! Always ask questions, never hold back. Use your recess and after school time to keep abreast with whatever work you're behind in or just to get smarter. Find good friends that you can get involved with in your senior class activities, a club, a sport or even run for class officer. Get involved with your community by volunteering in a hospital, school, or park. Get a part time job and get used to the work force. Save money for college. Practice budgeting your money. Your friends will always be there, but you're a senior in high school once in your lifetime. Keep in touch with your spiritual side, stay focused and most of all have fun!

I wish I had known about the out of state fee. I could've easily avoided this fee by attending my senior high school year at California. My aunt lives in San Diego and offered me to stay there. I refused so that I could be with friends at my Hawaii school. I am a student athlete and I needed to attend Grossmont College. The community colleges in Hawaii do not have football programs only at the University and I needed to work on my eligibility for a D1 school.

gianna

My classmates are content with being in a communitry college; unlike me.

My classmates are content with being in a communitry college; unlike me.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice as a high school senior I would have a lot to say. Most importantly I would tell myself that senior year is not the peak of life, although it seems that way at the moment. To be honest I spent too much time lounging around and not being productive. Everyone around me was rich and their parents paid for everything; so I thought it was okay to slack off like them. I know now that I should of got a job, saved money, and studied more. My senior year of high school I took 4 (compared to 6) high school classes and two junior college classes the first semester. The second semester I did not take college classes and I wish I would of so I could of knocked out a semester in college when I graduated. We all make "in the moment" mistakes. The only thing I can do now is encourage my little brother not to make the same mistakes and try as hard as I can EVERYDAY!

The worst thing about my school is that there are way to many people in it this year. I believe this is due to budget cuts and the over-flow of people who could not get into CSUs come to community college. I barely got the classes I wanted this semester and I can not transfer next semester due to the full classes.

Christopher

The classmates I see on a day to day basis are all in school for a variety of reasons, with one common goal, to better them selves. With this common goal, my classmates aren't just fellow students, they are also life lines. They are different people of different backgrounds and opinions that are willing to lend a hand when help is needed. When all of this support is coming from such diverse sources, creativity is achieved, which makes education was it should be.

Upon seeing myself in high school with the knowledge I have now, I would tell myself to do everything the same way. I have no regrets about anything has taken place in my life including my academic performance. Plus, if I did things different the second time around, the outcome would probably be significantly different. I wouldn't want to take that chance of eliminating the good things I've come across. So, my best advise would be to just keep breathing.

My School is well known for its VA resources. Since I am a verteran, most my friends are also veterens. The main point brought up when describing my school is how well the VA works with the students. To add, all the teachers I've had have extremely influenced me in different positive ways.

Grossmont College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.