El Cajon, CA

Grossmont College

« See more reviews of Grossmont College

To the perpetually scared 17 year old senior reading this letter, STOP. DO NOT BE SCARED. I wish you would understand that these things too, shall pass. I know you think you're not prepared, not ready, useless, haven't done anything and this adds to your never ending list of fears that have highly contributed to paralyzing yourself into doing anything worthwhile. Colleges will accept you. Five of them. You will live in California. That was your dream. Finances. You're scared. How, why, when, who? Community college. That's how. Use it as a guide. Don't complain. It will help you tremendously. You will look back and thank those high school-like professors. Friends. You will be betrayed. But at least now you know, don't let your guard down so easy. Abroad. You will get to travel. It won't end like the way you wanted it to. But you will get to go. Another dream accomplished. University. You will get accepted. You will start anew. Graduation. I know you will. Just as you'll graduate in May, you will again, though maybe a year later than your class. So, SMILE. Be calm. Be grateful. Breathe.

To have been fearless- that is the adivse I would give myself. After graduating high school, I had a great amount of pressure to know where to pursue my higher education. Truthfully, I was afraid to let it be known I was struggling to answer that question. I decided to postpone a four year university, and instead enrolled at Grossmont Community College. I recall being in class the first day, praying I had made the right decision. Unbeknownst to me, the best adventure of my life was ahead. At Grossmont College, I have created an identity and a purpose. I have been blessed with opportunities that have matched my life aspirations with career goals. The bonds and connections I have formed with professors and classmates, are ones I am certain will remain a lifetime. Forever I am grateful to God for all the blessings in disguse he has sent, as well as the mistakes I commited that strengthed my character and wisdom. In this moment of my life I am confident to enter a four year university with poise, as a confident young woman, who is ambitious to be known- I am fearless.

I'd tell myself to go to a different community college than I started out, and that distancing myself from high school is the first step to becoming an adult. I'd tell myself to take it slow... but not take it easy. I'd tell myself to believe in my abilities more, because confidence plays a huge part in achieving success. I'd tell myself that while not participating in a social weekend may seem like a huge sacrifice at the time... discovering you've failed the first class of your life, when it matters most, feels so much worse. I'd tell myself to work harder, study harder, and push myself harder. I'd tell myself to see a counselor every semester, without fail. I'd tell myself to wait until I turned eighteen to start college. College is about educating yourself, and becoming a well-rounded, contributing member of adult society. If you wait until you're of age in the eyes of the law, making educational choices for yourself is easier. Last but not least, I'd tell myself to work hard and long to earn my grades... but not to forget the importance of friends.

As i look at my life now, i would travel back in time and tell myself how important education really is. On top of that i would really explain how important it is to get homework, or work in general done because not only does it boost yourt grade inthat specific class but it paves the way for learning new things and excelling you in the future. In other words take the time to do work instead of procrastinating just to get by. I would tell myself to prepare for the unexpected both positivley and negativley, and that anything that happens in life has a purpose and will make me stronger in the end. Also no matter what happens family and friends are the most important people in your life and you need to learnt o appreicate them for what they have done for you and what they are going to do for you. Last i would tell myself to surround myself with friends who make my life positive, because no matter what you think negative friends turn into negative cituations and who you spend time with in life determines the type of person you can turn out to be.

The first thing I would tell my high school self, is to be prepared and to get as much information as I can. When I was a senior, I had no idea where to start when it came to getting ready for college. I barely had time to research before graduation came up. I would also tell myself to really take some time to think about what careers interest me. I didn't take a lot of time to think about my major, and, though it was the right choice for me, I was nervous that I had made the wrong decision for a while. You should feel completely confident in your choice of major. Last but not least, I would tell my self to fully experience college in all it's glory, and i'm not just talking about the parties and the social events. I was so fascinated by how different learning in college was compared to high school. You learn so much more in a much less censored and more realistic setting. You can really apply your knowledge to real-life situations. Putting forth the utmost effort is so much more rewarding that you would expect.

I would tell myself to stay in school and make every effort to do your best. Set goals for yourself. Stay committed to your goals. Go back and check on your goals to see if you've achieved any and set more. Set short range goals that'll help you attain your long range goal. Take advantage of your instructors by getting whatever help you can get from them now! Always ask questions, never hold back. Use your recess and after school time to keep abreast with whatever work you're behind in or just to get smarter. Find good friends that you can get involved with in your senior class activities, a club, a sport or even run for class officer. Get involved with your community by volunteering in a hospital, school, or park. Get a part time job and get used to the work force. Save money for college. Practice budgeting your money. Your friends will always be there, but you're a senior in high school once in your lifetime. Keep in touch with your spiritual side, stay focused and most of all have fun!

If I were able to talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself multiple things. One of these things would be to take as many Advanced Placement classes in high school as possible. Having these classes done and getting the credit for them makes college a lot easier because you have a few classes out of the way, you won't have to worry about it, and it is much cheaper. I would also tell myself to not worry about all the other students who continue to brag about the large universities they are going to. With so many of my high school peers attending big name schools, I felt like a failure because I decided to attend a community college even though I was accepted into the schools I applied to. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to feel bad about my decision. Now I realize that in four years, my degree is going to say a university's name on it just like many of my high school peers', however i will have thousands of dollars still in my bank account.

In a cloudy dream one restlest night, I imagine an older me walking towards me. With a bright light surrounding me, I am unsure of this illusion. With countless sleepless nights, I simply turn and continue this awkward sight. It's me. From the future. But why? Going to College in the same city one may have grown up in, is not a bad choice. You get the opportunity to stay at home, or live on campus with the knowledge that home is just a quick drive away. Which is what I did, which now thinking I would have preferred not too. If I would have lived in the on campus dorms, I feel as if my life would have taken a different path. I would have met more people and I also think I would have stayed at that school. With academic shame, I was eventually disqualified - only to return under completely different conditions. With the economy in it's recession, it has proved even more difficult as foreseen. Time will only tell. Whatever school I do decide to go to, I will not give up. Not i. Not me. Not ever.

If i were able to go back, and speak to myself as a senior in high school I would tell myself to be more out going, and not afraid to be myself. When i say this by no means do i mean that i was the shy girl who would sit off to the side and eat lunch by herelf. i had plenty of friends, and was on the basketbll and volleyball team. However, i always seemed t be at home on the weekends reading a book or sitting doing nothing.i rarely ever went to the football games or the dances, like all the outher students. i was a great student and was able to carry that ability with me to college, although i wish i would have been able to do more. everyone says that your senior year of high school is one you will always rememeber, however mine is not so memerable. if i would have done the things i wanted to do and had fun living the high school life i wanted, maybe things would have been different. However, from looking back to the past the only thing i can do is change for the future.

John Steinbeck once said that “No one wants advice - only corroboration” and my younger self was the prime example of that phrase. If you didn’t agree with me then you had nothing I worth listening to. Or at least that was my opinion in those days. Like most youth, I was more interested in instant gratification and why did I need to go to college if I could make $800 every two weeks in fast food? This is where my advice to myself would begin. I would suggest researching more into the cost of living and what that paycheck of $800 will get you as you grow older and begin a family. You will be shocked to find that it will leave you below the poverty line and struggling to keep from drowning in debt. Today I would give myself the advice to stay in school, take your education very serious and strive to be the best that you can be. The hard work and commitment will pay off in your future and yes, sometimes older generations do know what they are talking about.