Grove City College

« See more reviews of Grove City College

According to the Bible, ?Life is fleeting, like a vapor?. A vapor appears for a few seconds, but soon disperses into transparent air. The time available to us has the same nature. Just when we think we have unlimited hours at our disposal, we take a step back and realize how much of our lives has slipped through our fingers. Clocks are not going to stop, so instead we have to make it our priority to not let valuable ticks of the timepiece escape us. In high school, I did not recognize that I had only been given a certain amount of time to accomplish my goals and did not take advantage of the opportunities right in front of me. Now that I appreciate the fact that we have been blessed with a precise period of life I have begun to step outside my normal ?comfort zone? and make the most of the time I have been given. I have found that I have the strength to do things I never considered, such as inner-city tutoring. We are only given a split-second in the large scope of time. Do not ever waste a single moment.

I would advise that they would take their time to find the place that fits them the best. Colleges are businesses and we can sometimes be drawn into their marketing schemes with beautiful pictures and eye-catching statistics that they use to advertise. It is important to find out the bad things about the school...those things that they do not want you to know. I would also recommend visiting the college and spending a few days and nights there with other current students to get a better feel of what the college is all about. I would suggest that you do not choose a college simply based on the fact that your parents/relatives/friends went there and they had a great time. Experiences are relative and college life at a particular school changes from year to year, not to mention over generations. So the most important thing is to get out and visit many different colleges in many different regional areas. Go with the one that you feel the most comfortable being there and makes you feel like you are at home.

While the choice of which college to attend should be primarily a future oriented decision, the importance of the life lessons learned at college should not be underestimated. College serves as the foundation for learning to cope with life independent from parents; therefore, it is important to choose a college that is a safe and healthy environment for learning these essential skills. As friends from high school fade, remember that friends from college last a lifetime, so choose wisely what type of people you befriend. Do not be afraid to try new things-- college is a time for exploration. Take lots of different courses because you never know what might captivate you, and when you find something about which you are passionate, cling to it and give it your all. Make sure that you carefully research what your major will translate to in the 'real world.' A lot of times students form this ideal career in their heads only to get into the 'real world' and find it does not exist. Work hard, but play hard, too.

The most helpful thing to know when first coming to college is to stay on top of work, but still find time to have fun. The work that is put onto students can be extremely overwhelming at times, but if they put things off, it only makes the work that much harder. The only thing is that it's also very important to fit fun in somewhere too. College is when people are figuring out how to be more responsible and to become independent while getting ready to work in a profession that they are likely going to do for the rest of their life until they retire. That is a lot to put on someone all at once. There needs to be some type of fun or stress release in their lives so that they do not get overwhelmed. I personally wouldn't have been able to make it through the first semester and still be mentally stable if I had not found a way to have time for fun. It has kept me sane under the pressure. With the combination of getting the work done and some type of fun/stress release, college can be an amazing experience.

When it comes to finding the right college, it is important to have goals for your education experience and seek a school that will best fit that mold. The right college will look different to everyone but the best fit is always out there. Visit campuses and talk to people from the school. Find out what other student?s opinions are of the school. To make the most of your college experience, get involved on campus and with friends in activities that will last even beyond your college years. Friendships from your college time of life last a lifetime. This is your time to experiment in different areas of life in trying out new things and expanding your horizons. You will never know how much you could love something if you have never tried it. Be bold and confident and stick to your opinions. Take advantage of all the experiences your college/university can offer. Start new programs to share a love or talent you have with others. This is an incredible time of life, make the most of it!

there is no guarantee you will find out what you want in your life within the next 4 years, if you don't that doesn't mean you got an F in life paths 101. here's some advice 1. try several different careers on for size, start early! take as many different interships and elective classes as you can, anything that you might be interested in try it. no matter what mom and dad say or how unrealistic it is, when it comes down to it, the year after graduation mom and dad will not be driving in the car with you every morning on the way to the job that's "just a perfect fit for you" that you absolutely hate or just simply doesn't fulfill you. you are the only one you have to answer to at the end of the day. 2. choose something that will be able to support your after you're done. if you want to major in basket weaving, minor in entrepreneurship so you can set the prices of your own baskets, that way you can have that cruise to italy and send your kids to school in the same lifetime.

As a high school senior, I was deathly afraid that I wouldn't get accepted to college, and even more afraid that I wouldn't fit in at school if I was accepted. Fortunately, I was accepted to Grove City College, and upon arriving, I found that people at college are pretty much exactly the same as the ones in high school, just a little more overworked. However, the people at college all have something in common that brings everyone together into a close knit community: they are all here by choice to learn and further their education. There aren't any sullen people who try their best to show their displeasure at being there. People are happy to be here, and academic fellowship allows you to make friends of and form relationships with people you would never have noticed before. If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell my past self that college isn't all fun and games; it is hard work, but the people who attend it make it all worth the trouble.

I would advise parents to listen to what their children truly want out of life. If it does not match what the parent's dreams for the child are. Than, they need to work together to find a way to compromise and find both a school and degree that will satisfy both parties. I would also advise parents that often times a student will go into something only to realize that what they really want to do is what you have been encouraging them towards their whole life. But, you need to let them figure this out on their own! To students, I say, to make the most out of your college experience, meet lots of people! This will not only be key to you having a great time at school! But, it also builds great connections and relationships that can last for the rest of your life! Take your college experience as a blessing! Study hard, spend time getting to know your professors( they write great recommendation letters!) and also take time to build lasting friendships with your fellow students!

I have grown so much since I began college for the first time at age 18. I stopped and started again at age 24 and now, at 27, I have a 17 month old daughter and have just graduated with my AA. The educational opportunities and experiences I have encountered over the past 3 years have been invaluable in regards to my growing as a person. I have been forced into uncomfortable, difficult situations; studying for finals at 3am after rocking my crying daughter to sleep for the nth time. Nights that seemed never ending, time after time breaking through the thoughts of "why am I doing this?" "It's not worth it" "It's too hard", etc. to emerge on the other side, triumphant and more confident than ever that I really can reach my goals and fulfill my dreams of becoming a teacher. Though impossible to know it at the time, through every difficult plight, my character was being stretched, molded and tested and I have come through the fire, refined and ready for whatever lay ahead.

the one thing that i would reccomend to parents and students dueing the application process would be to take their time. i took a year off after high school and it was the best possible thing that i could have done. during the year off i worked full time, which worked greatly in my maturation process and gave me a better idea of what direction i wanted to take my life in. without having taking a year off i wouldn't have wound up at the school that i did. the year off also allowed me some pretty cool opportunities in addition to working. one thing that i was able to do was spend 2 weeks in the UK visiting friends. it was great to experience a different culture and see how history is different there than it is in America. throughout my whole year off i learned many pratical things such as discipline and hard work, but i was also able to have fun and experience some pretty cool things and i would reccomend it to anyone who is unsure in their search for a college