Greensboro, NC
Guilford College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Guilford College

I think one of the most important factors in choosing a college is figuring out who you are now and who you would like to be in the future. Try to find out what the school is about, or at least claiming to be about, because that really will determine the kinds of people you will be surrounded by. Also, it is important to think about what kind of academic environment you want. Do you need small classrooms, lots of one-on-one time with professors and relatively relaxed academic competition or would you thrive under the pressure of that competition in a setting so large that the only way to stand out is to shine? Another critical factor in deciding where you want to go to school is the surrounding areas. Do you love the noise, excitement and opportunity of the city or do you want some place remote where you see more cows than cars? Maybe you need something in between. And don't forget about the climate. You don't want to go to Minnesota if you get severe seasonal depression, nor do you want to go to Florida if you can't stand the heat.

QUAKERS!!! I love Quakers, Quaker values, my little zaney Quaker school. And the campus is beautiful, and probably about 60% of the reason why I chose it. Plus Guilford is known for its social activism. The volunteer fair is one of the biggest beginning-of-the-year events.

If you're liberal, or you're conservative and you enjoy pissing off liberals but you overall get along with them. If you like to smoke pot. If you care about social activism. If you dig Quaker values: Simplicity, Peace, Integrity, Community, Equality (The SPICE of live). If you like roaming around in the woods and being outdoors. If you don't mind being in a hellish mid-sized city (ppn. approximately 300,000). If you were a freak in high school and you want to find a place where you belong. If you're smart but not necessarily bookish.

Stefani

My experiences in college have awarded with a very unique perspective pertaining to the characteristics necessary for a wonderful college experience. I began a college Massachuetts. Due to financial difficulties, I was forced to transfer to Berkshire Community College, and live at home with my mother. I was new to the area and had a tough time adjusting and making friends. After a year I moved back to Boston. I attended Roxbury Community College, and was one of approximately five white students. I lived in Boston two years, I attended another community college, rented a room in a boarding house in a predominantly Hispanic community, and worked in a grocery store. In the summer of 2007, I had to choose either Guilford College or a promotion. I chose Guilford, because something told me that it was my chance to discover myself. The most important advise I can give to students is to not be afraid to strive for what you want but too scared to go for. If I had not, I probably would have spent my life listening to customers complain about the sale prices. Now, I want to go to graduate school, and become an equine-assisted psychotherapist.

wonderful school, especially for those who felt they did not really "fit-in" in high school or socierty in genderal.

Grayson

Well, if I had to give any advice on picking a school that?s right for you, it?s research. I picked my school after about a year and a half of researching and touring campuses. In fact, when I applied for schools, I was so confident I applied to only my school and a backup! When touring campuses, unless the school gives a private or very small group tour, don?t bother. All schools will toss out similar statistics about their class size and how successful their alumni are. Knowing someone at the school already helped me pick it out, as well. As far as getting the most out of the college experience, get out and get involved! Join as many clubs and activities as your schedule can possibly allow. Go out and meet as many people as possible; that way you can find a group of people that you enjoy hanging out with. Of course, it is equally important to keep up with academics. Partying is just as important to the college experience as working, but if you party all the time you won?t be in college for long.

Heather

Focus on a school that will best suit the personality, needs and wants of the student. Make sure the colleges you consider address the academic, social and personal values you have and will enable the you or your son or daughter to develop skills for critical thinking and economic and social change in addition to academic success and career opportunities. A good college should address the whole student and provide opportunities for development in a number of areas and should not limit the student to a single track of study. By the time a student graduates, he or she should be able to express him- or her- self without fear of being misunderstood or offending others. The student should look at any perspective school, and ask themselves whether or not the community in which they will be devoting so much of their time will allow them to develop a sense of self-worth, accomplishment and confidence in who they are and where they are in the global and personal perspectives of life.

I wish I had known that you don't have to take chemistry before you can study physics. Otherwise, I think anyone can do well, no matter what you already know or what you don't know. - Provided you don't mind writing. So, I suppose it would have helped to know more ways to write a paper, i.e. APA, MLA, etc...

Well, if you don't like people of other races, ethnic or religious backgrounds, and you have no interest in understanding those people, you would be better served attending school somewhere else. Also, if you are intimidated by writing papers, this is a writing intensive school, you probably won't like the workloads.

Nathan

Guilford is profoundly progressive and close minded at the same time.

I would stongly recomend visiting potential scools and setting up meetings on an individual basis with faculty in your intended area of study.

Amy

Price and location of a college doesn't matter. It is all about the school and the people in it.

Open minded, creative people that want more in life than just an education that will plant them in a high paying job.

The fact that the administration wants to remove the college from the list of "Colleges that Change lives" because they don't want to attract students that need their lives changed.

Matthew

Vistit colleges, talk to teaches, interview and talk to current students.

Vistit colleges, talk to teaches, interview and talk to current students.

Guilford College was once a college that focused on Quaker values but has become a college envious of mainstream universities over the last few years. It was once a sancuary for the inner-hippie but has created a very fine divide between the liberal hippie and the new athlete but boosting funds in the athletic department. Their is a very definite clash of values.

Kaitlin

Parents- Be there to catch them when they fall, to nudge them back on track when they're lost and confused, to soothe the loneliness having to make their own family, but remember that must do it on their own- you can't do it for them if they're going to learn. Help them through the struggle to find their own two feet and stand back, proud in the knowledge that your student is ready, willing, and able to take on the world. Students- No college will be perfect "right out of the box," something will always seem not quite "as advertised." It?s part of your job to mold the college, to make it better and stronger than it was when you started there. Whether it's in sports, clubs, academics, community service, or work, create your own family and you will be happier. College isn't just about the academics or the parties, its about the personal connections you make with fellow students, the lady who serves the lunches in the cafeteria, your academic advisor, and so many more.

Guilford can be home, but only if your willing to put in the effort to get the process started- and college is much better when you have a family style support network

Conservatives, those who aren't willing to loudly stand-up for their cause

Caroline

There will be a certain feeling when a college is right that is indescribable. When I arrived at Guilford I was overwhelmed by this sense of calm as if I had found the place that I wanted to be. That feeling has stayed with me and I am very happy about my decision to go to Guilford.

The schedules are brilliant and designed by the student. We are allowed to pick different sections to fit what time of the day we prefer to study in. Occasionally we even have completely free days, essentially a weekend in the middle of a work week.

Guilford College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.