Greensboro, NC
Guilford College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Guilford College

Jeanetha

My classmates consists of a variety traditional and nontraditional students who work well together and are very accepting of each other.

I grew up in the backwoods of Georgia on a farm where I frequently daydreamed about things within the limited sphere of what I knew. I looked forward to growing up and leaving the farm, but did not have a specific plan for college. Now, after experiencing college and life in general, I would say to my high school self: Get your head out of the clouds and think forward into the real world. The world is waiting for you to make your impact. Life is not as long as you think, so you really have only a short time to make a difference. Therefore, plan, pray, and progress toward your intended goals. Ask God to guide you. Read more and learn about different cultures. Keep a journal, check your progress along the way, and stay on track. Be confident and realize your value as an intelligent human being. Study more and do not sweat the small stuff. Choose challenging classes to prepare for college. Go straight to college after high school and get involved in activities that help underprivileged youth. After college, go straight to graduate school. Focus on helping people and building community, dispelling racism, classism, and ageism.

Parking is not sufficient to accommodate the commuting students.

Meredith

When I first visited Guilford, I was impressed the relaxed atmosphere. The students I had a chance to talk to were all friendly and inviting, and the campus is lovely. There are giant trees towering over brick walkways, and I even saw a flock of geese wandering about. The programs had a focus on individual learning, with small class sizes and professors who were truely passionate about the subjects that they were teaching.

I entered my freshman year a socially awkeward 20 year old. Due to a chronic health condition, I didn't get the chance to enter college right out of high school. I wanted to connect with all of those bubbly freshmen girls, but the task seemed beyond me. After a few attempts I stopped trying. I reasoned that I would have my entire life to make friends, but now was the time to focus on my studies. I kept to myself, missed out on events and clubs because I told myself that there wasn't any point to it. Isolated, I began to feel depressed and my grades started to fall. I couldn't get motivated. Was this it even worth it? With the help of an amazing friend I started to emerge from my shell. He helped me see that grades were only a small part of what my college experience could be. My goal changed from having the perfect GPA to doing my best to following my passions and growing as a person. To my highschool self, I would impart just a small piece of bumpersticker wisdom: Always strive to be the best you can be.

Sometimes the relaxed atmosphere that drew me to Guilford in the first place is taken too far. While the professors are very professional and organized, the staff usually isn't. Whenever I had a question that had anything to do with school policy, dates, or forms, I would end up having to ask several people. My advisor was particularily bad at answering these sorts of questions. She almost never knew the answer I needed or where I could find it, and if she did more often than not it simply wrong.

Erik

I would tell myself to take a year off and travel. As amazing of and experience college has been for me i wish i had experienced something else befor i went.

How much fun the night life is and everyone is very friendly. I also really like the fact that the teachers go by first name and that they all know your name.

Its a small school so everyone knows everybodies buisness. But its still big enough where you don't know everybody.

Gregory

Guilford College is a school that holds high academic standards but is also excepting of all students no matter who they are or where they have come from.

First I would say to apply myself more because school is expensive and an education can only go as far as you want it too. What you put into is what you get out of it. No one will hold your hand to make sure you are doing your work to the best of your ability. I would also tell myself to participate in more extra curricular activiest outside of sports. I would also tell myself to participate in as many internships as possible. The way the job market is today hands on experience such as an internship is just as valuable and sometimes even more valuable than recieving an education in the classroom. I would tell myself to branch out and meet more students outside of athletics. I would defiantly tell myself to be more consious on how I am spending my money while at school because books, food, and activies outside of school can put a big dent in the wallet. Lastly I would tell myself to enjoy the experience and live it to the fullest because this is a once and a life time opportunity that will impact the rest of your life.

I tell them that the school is extremely enviornmentaly friendly and that it is accepting of all students no matter their gender, sexual preference, or religion. I also tell them that it is easy to get along with the student body and that the students here are very friendly. I haven't heard of a student having trouble finding friends or fitting in. The class rooms are small so the there is more interaction between the students and teachers. I have made friends here that will last a lifetime and wouldn't give up this experience for the world.

Scottie

If you would describe yourself as a judgemental, self-centered person Guilford College is not for you. If your not the type who is willing to accept people for who they are and what they represent rather than what there sexuality may be then Guilford is not for you either. Guilford's not for someone who's unwilling to accept change as the campus is very diverse and offers people from all cultures. So as you can see if your judgemental or not willing to expand your horizions then Guilford is not the college of choice for you.

When bragging about Guilford College one thing comes to mind diversity. I believe that Guilford is the most diverse college in the nation. On top of being diverse Guilford offers one-on-one time with your teachers for any questions that you may have. Also the teachers are your friends they feel as if they are students themselves as you have many times to interact with them outside of the classroom. Guilford is also a small college that offers a ginuine college education thats hard for other schools to beat. This is just Guilford from a birds eye view.

Charles

Guilford College is unique to the other schools that I have attended because of the atmosphere it provides for me. I was a transfer student and I really felt like Guilford helped me through the whole process with being a new student. Granted, I was playing on a school team so I was able to make friends through my teammates. I enjoy the fact that a good half of our campus pushes for more traditional values while the other half of our campus pushes for change. I feel that it is necessary for a college to be well balanced politically.

The advice I would give myself would be to be patient about my decision making. Senior year only comes once in high school and its not about speeding through the whole process. I feel that it is really about narrowing down the options through questions and obviously talking about this process with a school counselor, a mother or father, or even a good friend. Ultimately the decision comes down to YOU as a student, but the process should really be evaluated in order for the best results to come through. Lastly, if it feels right..... Just Go with IT.

I feel that the Student to Teacher ratio is because students get the attention as oppose to a Big University. I have been to both a small and a big school and I can vouch to say that a small school is the best kind of atmosphere for me. Guilford College has allowed me to flourish in the classroom because I am not scared to talk to my teacher, and I dont have to talk to a TA to get my questions answered outside of class. I really feel that a small Student to Teacher allows students to have confidence.

What's unique about Guilford in comparison to other schools I considered is that its class sizes are very small, about 25 people maximum. It's a very laid back environment which can work for or against anyone's interest. Professors are always happy to talk to you with their office doors open too so you're able to form a good relationship with them.

There have been loads of lost opportunities for me to talk to new people because of shyness. I discovered you can't expect the world to open up to you if you don't open up to it. Surprisingly, people I've conversated with turned out to be interesting, smart, helpful, and inspiring individuals who've impacted my life. Try living in the dorms for a semester if possible. Looking at my high school classmates' photos of their dorms is regretful because it would have made socializing easier. Also, don't focus on grades as much as learning, understanding, and enjoying the material. Some subjects are dry as a bone but necessary nonetheless. Don't think of school as work but an educational experience. It's more satisfying to get a B and had learned something rather than with an A and nothing but memorized notes. Make the best of your time and have fun. College is where you discover your strengths and weaknesses, where you make new friends and lose some, where you don't have to be afraid to talk to others or speak your mind. Overall high school self, "just go with it."

I wish I had known that it would be so difficult to get the last couple thousand dollars for financial aid due to state education cuts! I do wish it was a bit more exciting but I guess you have to actually be really engaged in campus activities to have some fun at Guilford.

Christopher

If only I knew in high school what I know now! I would give myself some good advice in order to make the college transition easier. First, I would tell myself to relax and enjoy my Senior year of high school because life will never be as simple again. Next I would give myself the following advise: Never allow yourself to become over-whelmed because assignments are never as complicated as they first appear. When you become anxious you only make things harder for yourself. Remain calm and don't procrastinate. Focus on the task at hand and break it into smaller parts and goals. Work on one part at a time and complete it before moving on to the next goal. Before you know it, the project/assignment will be finished and you will feel quite proud of yourself for completing the task in a timely manner. As your first year progresses you will gain more confidence and academic life will become easier. My final piece of advice is to balance your time. Do not allow your studies to consume your entire life. Leisure time is also important, so schedule some free time each day.

I consider the worst thing about my school to be the food. The cafeteria food is not good and the menu is not varied. I feel that the food is often put together and served sloppily, frequently resulting in undercooked meats and watery side dishes such as grits. They do offer a fairly good salad bar and the Grill serves good pizza and burgers, but you can only eat so much of the same thing day in and day out. If the school is not going to change the food service they should atleast offer different food plans.

Richard

I would tell myself to focus on the right things to help my future . In high school I focused on Football and Girls and did just enough to get by when it came to classes . If I would have had a clear path I could have taken classes with college credits and got my GPA high enough to get in to a good college and got into the Program that could have had a greater impact on my life. Looking back High school should be a stepping stone to ensure you live up to your potental and not to goof around and go just because you have to.

Colleen

Any choice you make now will have a major impact on your future. Getting a college education now gives you a head start on any career choices you make and gives you an added advantage with any job you apply for. It allows you flexibility in your future career choices. “Birds of a feather, flock together” means that going to college exposes you to other like-minded individuals that want to grow and improve themselves and advance as responsible and productive members of society. Going to college before the responsibility of being a spouse or parent is much easier and you more to offer or contribute to your spouse or children when they come along. It is much easier to continue your education with the momentum you have now than to start later because “an object in motion tends to stay in motion and an object at rest tends to stay at rest”. Once you have gone out into the world and start working a full time job, it becomes extremely difficult although not impossible, to incorporate a college schedule into your adult life. You don’t have to experience a tough or difficult life to appreciate the good life.

Guilford College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.