Greensboro, NC
Guilford College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Guilford College

Kimberly

Go to school and get any degree! Without it, life is an uphill battle and you never reach the top. Do not give out your trust so easily. Look at what a person does in their life not what they say.

Paulette

Guilford is known for being a liberal environment in which students are encouraged to give back to the community in which they live and also be conscious of the environment. Academics are the main focus of the campus and it is easy as well as enjoyable to find a group of students with whom to create study groups. There are a plethora of departments on campus that are held in high regard in the area, which is important for us as members of the Guilford community. Core values define us and help us make a positive impact on the world.

Stay true to yourself. Understand and be one with your morals and beliefs, because it is inevitable that you will be given the option to stray from them. With the variety of people with whom you will mesh, you will be introduced to many situations that you may have never even imagined. Embrace new ideas and new people. Allow your peers to influence, but not run, your life. If you stay true to your morals, you will grow into the person you are. Take chances. Choose your friends wisely, however. You will be associated with the actions of your group of friends whether or not you were a part of it (good or bad); guilty by association. Take time to volunteer and give back to your community. Be conscious of the tasks you take on - stay focused on your goal and don't allow a volume of activities bog you down. When you're sad, confused or upset, express this. May it be a professional or friend, internal struggles will hinder your ability to learn and grow as an individual. Always remember that people grow through their struggles. Everything happens for a reason. Smile and allow yourself to make mistakes!

I believe I came to Guilford well prepared. I understood it is a writing intensive institution and I embraced this from the beginning, writing being one of my better areas. I do wish I had more of a grasp on my options outside of the classroom as far as departmental involvement, however, including volunteer opportunities in the area such as Special Olympics, animal shelters, tutoring, etc.

Andre

My classmates are very smart, but veiws on different issues vary because of diversity.

Dont bite off more than you can chew when going to college. I like to do a lot of things and be very involved with extra activities on campus but at Guilford College the school work is very demanding and can easily pile up on you if you are not careful. The harder you work in the classroom, the more financial aid and grant money you will recieve yearly.

A enthusiastic person should attend this college.

Sasha

The first thing that I would tell myself would be to take college courses while still in high school. Most of the time, students try to make senior year as easy as possible. They take easy classes and they don't try very hard because they just want to have fun. My senior year, I did not push myself and I had what many students have when they are seniors in high school, and that was "senioritis". I wanted to do as little as possible so that I could have more free time to do what I wanted. That brings me to my next piece of advice. I would tell myself to put more effort into my schoolwork, because in high school, I thought success was being able to study as little as possible to get passing grades. I did not see the point in trying to work so hard for 'A's in high school. But now I struggle in my college classes because I did not develop good study habits in high school. I have to work extra hard it seems then other students, and I tend to fall back into my old ways of hardly studying.

pamela

If I could go back in time, to when I was a senior, I would tell myself not to get down on opportunities that are missed. I really didn't prepare myself for the amount of competition at the collegiate level. However, I don't regret any of the decisions I made and high school me just needs to know that I am happy and capable of anything I set my mind to.

Guilford is known for it's unique classes and tough liberal arts curriculum. There are such classes as Tai Chi and women's studies classes offered here that you can't find at many schools. The work load can be heavy and their expectations are high. They're known for academic excellence!

Do not hesitate to plan ahead! One of the most difficult aspects of college is balancing your schedule and managing to get all homework completed in time. Some professors will remind you about upcoming assignments, and some will simply expect you to keep up with the syllabus on your own; you never know. So better safe than sorry - keep close track of upcoming assignments, as far ahead as possible. Make sure to use your planner and stick to it. Procrastination is very difficult to avoid as a young college student, so don't beat yourself up if you do it sometimes and maybe have to pull a few all-nighters. But try to avoid procrastination as much as you can; planning when and what to do every day can actually be really helpful, and not repetitive as it may seem. In college, there are many fun events to attend and clubs to join - do not hold back! If you think you would enjoy something, go ahead and join in. It will give you a sense of community and you'll meet new friends. You can then add the fun activities to your planner and have things to look forward to.

If you decide to live off campus and be a commuter (most traditional students are not, but a few are), you feel kind of isolated and it can be difficult to be a part of the community. Also the parking for commuters can be annoying. But you get used to it and you can get involved with on campus activities and community if you make the effort! Additionally, the price is the other worst thing about the school...

Markus

Guilford is a tight knit community, that balances rigorus academics, with personal exploration, creativity, and community outreach.

Finding a college that meets your needs should be your top priority. Whether the school is world renowned, or barely known if it can provide an environment in which you will reach your full academic potential, it is worth fighting to get into. College is not only about academics, it is also a means for personal growth. The college expierence is about realizing how you will eventually change the world, not how you will fit into it.

The atmosphere is currently sliding from a triditional liberal arts college, to having an intense athletic disposition, which may be compromising the school's integrity.

Guilford College is a fantastic school about which the following is true: the teachers are genuinely excited about the material they teach, classes are extremely small in size, the quality of academics trumps the quality of our sports teams, the students and faculty are very understanding and accepting of one another, regardless of their political views, sexual orientation, or religious affiliations, geese and squirrels are in abundance (as is goose poop), "going green" is actually happening, with a total of 200 solar panels installed on campus buildings, and obtaining a quality education (and self-growth) are the most valued ideals.

When I came to Guilford College, I expected that I would fall in love with college life immediately and not have any adjustment issues. This was definitely not my reality! However, I believe that the imperfections of my college experience have helped me grow the most. Homesickness was (and still is!) the biggest issue for me in college. Living hours away from my parents for several months in an unfamiliar place has been extremely challenging. It was both liberating and terrifying to realize that I could no longer turn to my parents for my basic needs; I am now responsible for taking care of myself academically, physically, and emotionally. Due to having a more flexible schedule than I did in high school, I no longer procrastinate in college. I now complete assignments and prepare for class activities in advance. I am also learning how to balance my academics and social life. I am striving to make my life in college better-rounded by spending time with friends, trying new activities, and exploring Greensboro rather than doing homework constantly. Granted, my college experience has not been what I expected, but I believe I have become stronger because of its many challenges.

The most frustrating thing about Guilford College is the extremely high tuition that the students have to pay! Tuition is roughly $40,000 per year, and for my parents, this means paying $80,000 per year due to the fact that my twin sister and I both attend here. This is very financially challenging for our family! I believe that Guilford College should offer more financial assistance to its students than it currently does. A quality education should be comfortably accessible to everyone, and I do not believe that Guilford College should be an exception to this rule.

The best two things about attending TCC have been the small class sizes, and the teachers being paid to teach. In large universities core classes can have 100+ students in them, but at TCC the largest class I have had so far was 38 students. The teachers have time to answer everyones questions, and they actually learn your name and get to know you as a person. Another wonderfull thing about TCC is that the teachers are paid to TEACH as opposed to being hired to do research. So you never have to deal with teachers aids, you can always go to the teachers office and see them about any and all problems you have. These two great aspects combined lead to a very caring, nurturing enviornemt that fosters personal growth and development . It almost feels more like a family enviornment than a school.

Merle

A quiet college where student give each other respect, and teachers are kind and helpful.

The college advisors have been extremley helpful in assisting me to figure out what I want to study. I have now decided that I want to major in the health sciences, specifically in Biology, then attend gradutae school and take an accelerated nursing course. Everyone on campus is looking out for my best interest. Students have been very kind and generous. There is some bureaucracy, but not too much.

The cliques that persist and the divisions between athletes and non athletes.

Guilford College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.