Jamestown, NC
Guilford Technical Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Guilford Technical Community College

Sasha

GTCC is a commuter school. A lot of students here are recent high school grads, working adults, or parents trying to make a living. There's not much school spirit here, but I guess it's normal for a community college. They don't have any dorms.

GTCC is pretty diverse. There's mostly poor students and some who are middle class. Most of the students are from Greensboro or the surrounding areas of the Triad, so not a lot of out of state students go to GTCC.

A lot of the students at GTCC are recent high school students. They don't take their academics as seriously as the adult students there. There's a few geeks, but also a lot of slackers. It's pretty diverse though.

Monsha

I love the fact that the professors are willing to help you at anytime. I like the fact that they set up a blackboard IM so that if you are unable to meet your professor, classmates, or visit certain services on campus, then you can reach them on your IM and chat. The main campus is pretty large, however, it is not too overwhelming. I also like that they provide a shuttle to campus every 10 minutes if you have to park in the overflow area. they provide you with a student ID and you are able to use your ID to go to the YMCA that is on campus. The only thing I would like to change on campus would be the times that the computer lab would close. They close at 8pm and some classes are held until 8:50pm; this could cause problems if students need to use this facility after class.

Describe the dorms.

GTCC does not provide dorms, however, there are numerous student housing complexes around the Guilford County Area.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I had recently attended two years at UNC Greensboro and I really loved being in the city, so i decided to attend GTCC because it provided my major.

Many students attend athletic events and seminars provided by the school. they show plenty of school spirit and ways to improve their education. Our school does not provide dorms and we do not have fraternities, however, the school's financial aid services helps students with room and board with refund checks for rent. Many students like to hang out in the library, in front of the AT building, and in the sitting area in front of the bookstore. Also we have a large area near the cafe' to sit, talk, and eat lunch.

the students at GTCC are very diverse. There are many students who interact with other students of different races, religions, etc... We have many students from other countries as well as states. Many of the students come from low-medium class families, however, they make everyone feel welcome and do not judge others based on this. recently we have the opportunity to host Barack Obama at our YMCA for a speech and many students showed up for this. This showed that even us as students are and want to be involved because it affects our education and future.

the academics are great; the professors provide plenty of ways for you to react them and stay involved in class through blackboard IM, class forums, and other classroom based websites. I am a Cosmetology Major and my class schedule is normally 8am - 12pm Tuesday through Friday. This helps me because some people may ask how can you get a degree in two years compared to a four year college? This is way because the professors and the schedules set help the students get plenty on learning and hands on experience. with my major, my professors require us to do a 6-month internship after we receive out degrees. After we complete our internship, depending on how well we worked, our employers get to choose is they would like us to remain employed there as full-time employees.

Guilford Technical Community College does not necessarily have a certain stereotype of students; our campus is pretty diverse. You have plenty of students who are very friendly and are willing to talk to anyone.

Crystal

My school is a very good way to start college, it gets you ready for a 4 year college.

the advice i would give myself is that first i should have taken scholarships more serious, because now my parents are paying for me education and i blame my self for not applying for scholarships. So now i am doing my best to earn money for school, so that i can help my parents.

I wish i would have known that i could have money another way for school, so that i would not have to take out a loan.

Stacy

My school is a melting pot for all ages, races, cultures, religions, and ability.

My school is best known as a stepping stone. Sixty percent of enrolled students are freshmen. It is also a college for people who want to earn a degree in a particular trade, such as a nurse.

If I could only go back in time and tell myself something, I would say try harder. Life is what you put into it, not what you get out . Without a little work you will be nowhere good. You need to work harder now, so that in the future you do not have to work so hard. Life is easy and wonderful when you use a little elbow grease.

Katryna

Before deciding to attend Guilford Technical Community College, I had considered going to Forsyth Technical Community College. After asking several people who attended GTCC and FTCC about each of their nursing programs, I heard that GTCC has a pretty successful nursing program. I decided to attend GTCC not only because of hearing about how well the nursing program is, but because a lot of students that went to my high school are attending FTCC. I really wanted to meet new people so that is also why i chose GTCC instead of FTCC.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definately give myself better advice for preparing for college life. I would tell myself to get started early on scholarships, grants, and anything else I could do to get me through college. I would also tell myself that I need to do my best as a high school student so that it would make me a better college student. Knowing what I know now as a college student, I would have prepared myself better by making more use of my time and trying my very best to get better grades. I wish that I would have told myself to buckle down and find more scholarships, do more community service, and anything else I could do just to be awarded some kind of scholarship to make paying for college much easier.

What I would consider the best thing about my school, is that the instructors teach really well. This is my second semester at GTCC and I have not found a teacher that couldn't teach well. I also think that the curriculum is taught thoroughly and not just thrown out there for us to figure out by ourselves.

Tanay

The diversity of age is the most unique thing about community colleges. The interesting thing is that some professors are younger than the students they teach. Our professors make the school and its environment relaxed and comfortable. You learn so much about real world competition and being the best you can be from young professional adults. Guilford Technical Community College professors are on the cutting edge of technology.

Tanay, stay is school and finish no matter what . Save your money and invest some of it, stop buying sneakers. Your education will be the difference of making $20,000 and $100,000 a year. Stay focused and apply to colleges that you want to go to. You can be anything you want to be. So what you had a baby, he will be more proud if you can provide for him. Never give up on your dreams and reach out to your community. There are many resources and people who just love to help you achieve your goals. You are the difference between failure and achievement. Always think positive. Apply for scholarships and study hard. You get out what you put in. Get organized and prepared. Talk to everyone and make as many friends to help you through study sessions and projects. Learn to cook or find a friend that can cook. Spend your money wisely and make good decisions. It is okay to hangout but don't make it a habit. Good Luck!

The professors at Guilford Technical Community Collge are the best because they care about each student. They work closely to achieve an ideal outcome. They prepare you for the workforce by intergrating a curriculum that fits all professions. They have a diverse teaching style and present material to be grasp by different learners. They are available to answer most questions or direct you where to go. We have personal relationships yet professional, so when we have problems it is comfortable to talk about and correct immediately. The diverse social environment serves to increase your knowledge of culture, networking and friendships.

angel

My classmates can be described as both energetic and enthusiastic.

My classmates can be described as both energetic and enthusiastic.

I would definately tell myself to not give up on college, but to push through graduation and then on to a community college to get my associates degree at least. By the time 2002 comes you would be finished with your associates in early childhood education and would have enough credits to beging an interinship, or even teacher's assistant, but at least my whole right foot would be in the front door while I try to get my left in the back!

There needs to be more maps on campus. There also needs to ne more directional guides as well. I am a new student this semester and found myself walking around in circles because the guides are only in the front and back of the school. There were also a few other that asked me for guidance, but I was not able to help because I was thinking of asking her the same question.

Michelle

A neat campus with outrageously devoted teachers and a cool staff.

A neat campus with outrageously devoted teachers and a cool staff.

I would tell myself to take a breath, to take a breath and take everything in. I was extremely shy my first semester at college and missed a lot of chances to make friends. If I had been more outgoing I probably wouldn?t have been so scared and lonely. All you have to do is say ?Hi?-you never know where that simple phrase can lead.

Deffinetley the lack of scholarships offered. I know that we are a community college but we could really use some more scholarships.

What's unique about my school is that though it is a community college, it is a very large one with multiple campuses. This allows a greater variety of classes and also more flexibility of schedule. My school is also one of the only community colleges on the East coast that has its own observatory for the Astronomy department.

I would give myself this advice: Start applying to colleges now. It is important to get on the ball with applications and scholarships sooner rather than later. I would also tell myself to take advantage of every opportunity to learn or experience new things. You never know when you'll look back and be glad you took that class, or talked to that teacher, or went on that trip. Don't take anything for granted.

The worst thing about my school is that because it is a community college, there is a higher level of students who drop out or don't seem to care about their studies. The academic standards are decent but not as good as I'd like them to be. I am very much looking forward to transferring to university as soon as I finish my Associates degree.

Guilford Technical Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.