Gustavus Adolphus College Top Questions

It can be difficult to live on a campus so small. There are times that I just need to leave "the Hill", as we call it, because I feel like I get stuck in a patern of doing the same thing with the same group of people too often. I do wish it was larger here, but at the same time I can appreciate it being so small and intimate. I love how small it is when it comes to class discussions and being able to talk one on one with professors.

The most frustrating is the way they go about placing you in housing. It's frustrating because it's a lottery system, so you never know what you're going to get.

The small departments make it hard to find classes to fit into your schedule due to a lack of sections and they make it hard if you don't like the teaching style of one of the professors because you will inevitably have to take a class with him/her.

I get frustrated with our unclear alcohol policy. Although, alcohol awareness education is presented on campus, there is not enough recognition of practicing safe social outings involving alcohol. Instead, campus security completely condones it, driving away any underage drinkers who may be in need of medical assistance, but are too afraid to seek help in fear of receiving a minor. There needs to be more lenient policies that allow students to seek help in certain situations when alcohol consumption is at a dangerous level.

It's hard to balance social life (basically drinking) and work.

How much it costs and not much to do in town.

Carl

The most frustrating thing about my school is the disparity in workload between students in science fields and students in non-science fields because it seems like students in non-science fields have a lot more free time and much easier course work than the biology, chemistry and physics majors.

Tony

Because this is a smaller school, people know a lot about each other. This can cause privacy to be an issue, especially with relationships.

The politicalness of the students here is quite remarkable. People who are extremely conservative or liberal tend to fight a lot, both in class and outside of class, so the tolerance on that front is lacking, on BOTH sides.

Denise

The way the housing is done made it so that all of my friends from freshman year are in one dorm and I am in the dorm all the way across campus.

Ricky

the domination of liberal viewpoints among students and staff