Hagerstown, MD
Hagerstown Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hagerstown Community College

Sara

Hagerstown CC is best known for their motto "Stay close, go far." The school offers a great launch pad for students preparing to transfer to a four year school as well as several certification programs right in Washington county. Boasting a diverse student body representing multiple ages and nationalities, HCC is a microcosm in Western Maryland.

Dear Sara, Go to college. Go now. Do not pass go, do not look back. You have so much potential and you will be a great student! Sit in the front of the class and don't be afraid if you are the oldest one there. Make friends, not everyone is judging you. Figure out your passion early and follow it - even if it doesn't promise to make you a lot of money. It is better to be the best at what you love than average at what you can tolerate. Be yourself, listen more than you speak and enjoy every minute of it. You have the potential to be highly organized but you also have the potential to be a disorganized mess. The difference lies in an hour every Sunday spent planning your week. Be realistic, you are not Superwoman, but it is amazing what you can accomplish. Take advantage of every opportunity that you can. See plays, go to museums, study abroad and see the world. Try everything you want, but don't squander this glorious time.

The best and worst thing about HCC is that is is a community college. The small college atmosphere is perfect for a returning student; however it only offers two year and certificate degrees. Expanding their programs to include four year degrees would be a great asset to the school and community.

Christian

Hagerstown Community College is a school small enough for students to get individualized attention if they so choose, but it also has a big enough student body that you are always meeting new people.

Many students come to Hagerstown Community College for their athletics programs on athletic scholarships and then transfer to a four year university to finish out their degrees. Also, HCC has an excellent nursing program set in place for those who wish to obtain an RN.

If I had obtained the ability to go travel back through time and speak to myself as a high school senior, I'd tell myself three key things. First, to save my money because college books are very expensive and without the books, you will not pass the class. Second, that I should retake the ACT one more time before school was over so that I could possibly do better the second time around and possibly get credit for some of the general education classes in college. Lastly, I'd tell myself to work hard my first semester because the first term everyone has in college essentially makes or brakes people. Unfortunately, I do not possess this ability, and have to deal with the cards my life has dealt me., but great things can come out of past experiences.

Kyla

Hagerstown Community College is best known for encouraging students to take advantage of all possible resources including information reguarding financial aid, extra curricular activities and events, as well as help with courses such as tutors. In each building there is a Learning Center for that perticular building that allows students to take advantage of tutoring opportunities and also work with each other while completing homework, or studying for classes.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior prior to entering college I would take the opportunity to share the knowledge I now know about preparing for college. The biggest transition into college life is responsibility. A lot of responsibility comes along with being a college student because there are deadlines that must be met, and sometimes sacrificies must be made. For example, you may have been invited to a night out with your friends, but you also know that Monday you have a final paper due for one of your courses that you haven't completed. Instead of indulging in the night out with your friends you have to be responsible and understand your priorities, in this case the final paper due Monday comes first. Being independently responsible is one of the biggest transitions into college life, but once mastered your sure to be a great success!

People that aren't self-driven and motivated would fail at Hagerstown Community College. My school challenges individuals mentally to strive to be the best in the field their working for and an individual who isn't motivated wouldn't be able to handle to challenges put on them to earn a degree at Hagerstown Community College.

Sandra

Most of my classmates are younger than me, but they have all been very nice to work with.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that you are better than you think you are. I would tell myself that I can do it and that it only takes a little bit of effort. College is a great place to realize how good you really are. The professors and other students are a great source of reassurance. College is something that you have to want and that the rewards are great. I would tell myself how important a college education is and how it is much easier to go to college right after high school instead of waiting until you are older. College should be a wonderful time in your life and that you should go and enjoy all the new friends you will make and the wonderful education that you will receive.

I wish I would have known that if you buy a book in the college bookstore that you can not return the book even if it is not opened without a drop slip.

Javian

my school has a medium sized campus but easy to get lost in if you dont know where to go but the people are friendly so you can ask just about anyone which building your classroom is in. There are a number of activities including salsa dancing and guitar lessons. We hold track meets for the other highschools in the area and its fun to go down and watch so much spirit in the indoor gym.

My classmates are all study prone, they get thier work done early though i like to keep mine just before the day to turn it in to make sure there are not alot of mistakes. Most of my classmates are in their first semester and are a little irriatating and care free but when it comes down to it they get the work in and on time.

Assuming i could go back in time, i would tell my high school self to think more about his career, or what college he wants to go to. I would tell him this because transferring to another college is a long and heavy process. If he had just went to shippensburg university in the first place he would of known what to major in as soon as he got there. But i would also tell him to stay strong dont let the first year of college get to you, dont let your uncertainty take hold. I would tell him that he's going to be tempted by alot of things freshman year but when it come down to his sophmore year those decisions are goin to be the life changing ones. He will have to make alot of decisions from which classes he needs to which ones he doesnt and when he finds that out he can move on and finally answer does he want to major in international affairs or would he be happy majoring in agriculture.

Tiffany

Hagerstown Community College is probably best known for being close to home where you can study a wide variety of degrees.

For me the community college, gave me the opportunity for a great education while being able to stay close to home. I work full-time and have a family of my own. I needed a fast education to help me provide for my family as well as prosper in the career world.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I think the best advice I could give myself would be to study! Just because you're a senior doesn't mean you get a break from schooling for 13 years. Now is the best time out of any to work your hardest and do the best that you can. When you start college, remember you are an adult now, you can enjoy yourself but still be responsible and remember the key to success is education. To excell, you have to work hard. Success doesn't come free.

Dawn

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would definately tell myself to go to college right away! I am almost 34 years old and just now able to go to college and get the degree I always dreamed of. It is definately alot harder to focus, remember and just learn in general now that I am older. I don't have all the advantages of being right out of high school as far as being able to get sports scholarships or anything like that. I now have a family to take care and college is second behind all of that. It is so much harder now. My advice would to take advantage of all you are offered as a high school senior and further your education any way you can. Struggling through life without a college degree is hard, and it is even harder to go back to get a college degree once you have a fmily that depends on you and lots of other responsiblilites. Go to college after high school so it can be your main focus and you can soar to the heights you dream of.

I can only think of one thing I wish I had known before I came to this school. That one thing would be to have known how diverse the students here are, the wide mix of ages and races is great. There is no problem making freinds and getting any type of help in any subject needed, which is what I was afraid of most.

You should not attend this school if you are not focused on learning and getting an education to better your future. If you just want to go to a school and party all the time or hang out with friends this is not the school for you. There is a strong focus on learning and teaching here at this campus.

Cassandra

If I could go back and give myself advice as a high school senior I would tell myself to become more organized. First, I would tell myself to brainstorm about what generalized career feilds I am interested in and write them down. Second, I would go to the college's website and research what degrees they offer in my career feilds of interest. Third, I would consider the work load each degree required and narrow down my options to two or three degrees. Fourth, I would meet with an educational advisor at the college and talk about what careers are available after completing each degree program on my list. Fifth, based on my interests I would choose one final degree program and I would set a plan for completing it.

I consider free tutoring to be the best thing about my school. There is group tutoring available as well as one-on-one tutoring. Most students are struggling to balance school and do well, keep a full time job to pay the bills, and support their families. Free tutoring definitely helps students do well in their classes and relieves a lot of stress.

I wish that I had known about the degree programs a little more thoroughly and more information about what careers were available after completing one of the programs.

Hagerstown Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.