Clinton, NY
Hamilton College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hamilton College

Ali

Hamilton is a small liberal arts school. Students know how to balance having fun and workign hard. Most students are extremley intelligent. The school focuses a lot on athelics, and even if you dont play a varsity sport, most students are in "good" shape. There is a social group for everyone to be a part of, whether you like to drink or not. The town the college is in is small, but very cute. We are only 15 minutes from New Hartford, which is a nice small city with a movie theater, mall, and chain restraunts. We are also about 20 minutes from Utica, NY which I have started exploring more of during my senior year. There are great places to get home cooked style ethnic food including spanish, italian, vietnamese, and greek. I think everyone that goes to hamilton is proud of the school. Its a great size, especially because of the close student-professor relationships. One of the negative things I know is that the President cuases a lot of controversy with alumni, and some students adn parents. Since she became president alumni giving has gone down. Most frequnent complaints from students are about the new president and most of the time it is in reference to how much fun Hamilton USED to be when the last president was here. There was also a large controversy with Ward Churchill coming to school and her getting blamed for it.

The student body is overall friendly and welcoming any type of studnet can find there group and be happy.

Not 100% true. There are obviously a few who do, but most balance drinking academics well. There are many Hamilton students who also choose not to drink

Students are intelligent and the acadamics are challenging. However, if you are able to get into hamilton it is likely you will succeed

Most of the social life revolves around greek life and partying. However, there are always more options to choose from for those students who dont want to be in a party atmosphere around drinking.

Stuents like to drink excessively

Meg

Hamilton is a good size, and people are really nice, and i think we need more diversity but i like the fact that its more diverse than my high school. there is a lot of school pride, clinton is aboring small town, but kids stay on campus theres lots to do. people think im smart when i say i go to hamilton. the president...shes ok, she seems to take lots of alumni money....

Hamilton students are good looking. there are all types of kids here, i dont really know who would feel out of place, perhaps quiet people. The tables in the dining hall just have students at them, everyone mingles so theres not really a lot of cliqueiness. a lot of students are from NY, MA, NJ, CT and lots of other places. most prevalent financial background, i mean, lots of rick kids, but, about 60 percent recieve financial aid..so its varied. the politics are all over, all kinds come here. if you are willing to talk to people, you will find sincere, kind friends.

professors are very approachable and very personal and friendly. they all have office hours and they are very willing to help you. kids walk thier professors dogs sometimes, you eat dinner at their houses. we all have advisors that help us with life and academic choices. i always hear people having academic conversations outside of class, poeple here are very intellectual and interesed in what they study. I am a classical languages major, lately there has been a big boom in the calssics department and no one really knows why...but we have great professors in this department. kids are competitive in a productive nature....hamilton is about getting a job and learning for your own sake, its both. hamilton has no requirements, its awesome.

Greek life is not as prevalent on hamilton's campus as, say a big state school, because they dont have houses. I am in choir, its like a sports team i hang out with them party with them, all of that. my closest friends live mostly in my dorm, also from choir, also i just befriend everyone i meet. if im awake at 2am on tuesday im doing homework, no doubt..or just talking to poeple. people party, but its college, people party everywhere. there is tons of stuff to do without drinking, dance, comedians, accoustic coffee houses, speakers, tons of stuff. sporting events, theater, speakers, its all popular, students are really supportive of each other. off campus there are bars and stuff, but people pretty much stay on campus.

We drink...a lot rich kids snobby preppy attractive

Katya

Hamilton seemed ideal for me when applying because I wasn't ready for a big school. It is the kind of campus that you will end up knowing every face you pass- but not necessarily associate with everyone. People are friendly to a certain extent, but only if you put forth an effort. There are definitely people that walk by and could care less about your presence. I loved the closeness with professors- I've eaten at their houses on several occasions. After visiting a big university like UMich, I adored the school pride and spirit there. That is not the case at Hamilton. While people do like being here and are proud, the school spirit is rather lacking (not too many show up regularly at athletic events, etc.) After being here for 4 years, I'm definitely ready for life in a big city. But that was not the case 4 years ago. It met my needs; however, I think that I probably could have done just fine in a slightly larger, less isolating community.

There are definitely 'cliques'. I managed to find a solid group of friends from the beginning, but we've since found our own ways and don't spend quite as much time together (a result of being seniors!) There is some diversity, some international influence, but it is a rather homogeneous campus. Students try to be active, there are plenty of organizations. I really liked the lack of a strong greek system- that was not what I wanted and this campus doesn't need it either.

I definitely sense the preppy side here, but the benefit of having the 'dark side' allows for more quirky, artsy types along with a nice mix of all sorts...so it's not the overriding 'preppy' feel that comes with greek systems. As far as the homosexual stereotype goes, I happen to be a close friend to many homosexuals while not being one myself- so for me it feels like the percentage is high. However, I think this may be a specific case and not really reflective of the whole college.

I tended to really enjoy my courses. They were the appropriate challenge for me, and the small sizes led to a lot of discussion. I loved the ability to take Russian- even though I am a Spanish major and and Education minor. Students do participate, perhaps don't study as hard as I did, but seem active in most classes. The most unique class I took was probably a Russian studies course about Vampires and Blood-Sucking myths...a very interesting class with a professor I really enjoyed for his passion and interest in Russian. In regards to my major's department- Spanish- I was not quite satisfied. They were inconsistent in their support, and often the person I needed to consult with was on leave or in Spain for the semester I needed them! Some of my courses were encouraging, but others were downright boring and I stared at the clock. I don't feel that Hamilton is geared toward getting a job necessarily, more for graduate school. I don't like the assumption that everyone will just 'go on' to graduate school- I have to start making a living to pay back loans!

I love music- and orchestra was a worthwhile experience to an extent, but it began losing its appeal when I saw my friends graduate and realized the lack of cohesiveness. Choir is a much more fun atmosphere (the go on tour together, do the musical) and so I chose to join for my last semester. It is a much better social experience, but I could not have survived college without being able to play instruments either. Dating is either very exclusive, or non-existent. This is definitely a hook-up school; I want a boyfriend and it seems like all guys here are not interested in that, or they already have been dating someone for ages. A lot of weekend social life does revolve around alcohol, but I do know people that don't drink and it really doesn't matter. The pressure to drink isn't coming from other people.

Like most other small private liberal arts schools, we have the preppy stereotype. I've also heard the stereotype that we have an uncommonly large homosexual population.

Hamilton is just the right size; the student population is small enough so that you know the majority of the people in your year, but large enough so that everyone does not know everyone else's business. People are generally impressed when they hear that I attend Hamilton--Hamilton is a prestigious school. I spend most of my time in List (art major), but I am never in one place for too long. The latest controversy has been over May Day and the fact that Eve 6 is going to be playing--two of the organizations that plan the outdoor event have very different opinions about how the event should be run.

Most of Hamilton's students come from the norther East coast, so the population here is mostly white. However, the administration has been trying to increase the diversity of the campus. They are making slow but steady progress. Although there are many exceptions to this, the majority of racial students stay together.

I have a very good relationship with my professors--they all know my name, and I go to office hours frequently, even when I do not have homework questions. My favorite classes are any classes with Professor Muirhead or Professor O'Neill. They are my favorite professors and make the classes highly enjoyable. Class participation is expected, although it is expected in more classes than others (eg. english vs. math). Hamilton students do have intellectual converstions outside of class ranging from Nietchze to what's going on in Tibet. Students are very competitive--at least in my classes. Since Hamilton is a liberal school, there are no set requirements. This course freedom allows students to take essentially whatever they want.

Although Hamilton tour guides dismiss frats and sororities, they are somewhat prevalent on campus. There is not a lot of pressure to join, but they do make their presence known. IM sports are very popular here, and the attendance is pretty good. Depending on the guest speaker, attendance is very good. Students do leave their doors open in their dorms. As my psych professor observed there are three basic relationships at Hamilton: Hook-ups, slow and steady, and glued to the hip. I met my closest friends during AA and the first week of classes freshman year. However, I did not meet my boyfriend until the fall of my junior year. I do go to a lot of parties, but I also participate in movie nights on the weekend with my friends who do not like parties.

The "Hamilton cool," binge drinking, dark sider hippies...

Robin

Great acedemics, nice people for the most part, nice campus, lots of winter but in the summer its amazing

a lot of pushing for diversity but not much actual action. Lots of activities, chill people, groups and cliques as usual, mostly democratic

rich may be, but i think diversity isnt so bad, and more than preppy, i would define the predominant style as "indie" - maybe not predominant, but a LOT of kids go with this style - tacky neon sunglasses, tight jeans and small clothes from like random places that look really weird

All my current and past professors say hi to me and know my name whenever I see them, its excellent. Easy to get help, lots of homework, etc etc

All activities on campus but plenty of them, a few all campus parties every weekend day and smaller ones as well. a bunch of traditional annual events, no greek houses but plenty of people in them and they host the parties

Rich, white, preppy, not diverse

it's a really small school, the same size as my high school with a lot of cliques. you'd better like snow and cold weather. hamilton has a good reputation but it's not that well known. it's in upstate NY so there's nothing to do off campus. the administration doesn't really care about the students but it also depends on the department - whether you're talking about financial aid dept., admissions, the food or what. the food really sucks. every other year there's one racial incident that occurs. they never figure out who did it but it does reflect the lack of diversity on campus and the presence of racism that's there but never talked about. best thing: having aretha franklin, bill clinton, and al gore come to Hamilton & i like the snow

anyone not white, preppy, and at least middle class will feel uncomfortable. most students are democrats.

the classes are generally small. nearly all professors will know your name and talk to you on a one on one basis at least once per class. student participation varies depending on the class and who's in it. there are groups on campus that discuss intellectual matters outside of class. most students aren't competitive. all professors have office hours and encourage students to talk to them. sociology is one of the smaller departments where you can get to know all the professors in the dept. govt is bigger which means they offer a greater variety of govt classes. the academic requirements are great. they're very lenient. almost no class requirements outside of your major. you will have to write a senior thesis or do a senior project.

football team, basketball team, hockey team, fraternities, sororities.

very preppy, slackers, all want to be lawyers, rich & spoiled, very white

Mary

Hamilton College is a great school, with good academics, and some really amazing and intelligent professors, though, many people have not heard of it. When I tell people that I go to Hamilton College, I usually get a blank response, or a 'Where is that?' However, when the people I talk to have heard of it, they are usually very impressed and interested in the school. I find that there is a lot of school pride for sporting events, especially since it is a small school, and there's a good chance you know someone on a sports team. I think the town is small, but quaint, there is everything you might need in the town, and they really try to welcome the Hamilton campus into the town, as well as Hamilton College tries to welcome the towns people up the hill to participate in events, such as sports or lectures. The one thing I will always remember about Hamilton is how I spent my summers there doing research. Science research is a great oppurtunity to work closely with a professor on a project that interests you. The science research program at Hamilton is really great, and few other schools allow students to get involved at the level they do at Hamilton. In addition, the summers at Hamilton are absolutely beautiful.

Most Hamilton students are white, pretty wealthy, and from the northeastern states. Though, there are students from all over the country, the world. I think these students bring a lot to the campus, they have different experiences in life and it shows the other students that not everyone is the same. These students have formed many differnet groups and clubs on campus to share their diversity.

I find that there is always something to do even during the week at Hamilton and that the stereotype that there is nothing to do is not true at all. I do find that most of the students are pretty rich and come from wealthy towns and families.

Academics at Hamilton are great. The professors really care about what they teach, and their main goal is to inspire the students in that subject. Professors are for the most part readily available to talk about classes, or anything outside classes. The chemistry department at Hamilton is great. The professors are all very close with the students, and really want them to learn as much as possible. There are always oppurtunities to spend time with professors outside of class, sometimes school sponsered, sometimes by the students organization. I think that the academic requirements at Hamilton are perfect, they allow the students to take whatever interests them, and a broad range of classes, not necessarily in the major. Education is definitely geared toward learning for its own sake at Hamilton, as students are able to take a wide range of classes, it is really the oppurtunity to learn as much as possible before narrowing the path to a career choice.

The most popular groups are Greek societies and sports teams. I am involved with the greek society Kappa Sigma Alpha. Students leave their doors open pretty often, most students are friendly and open to meeting others. Athletic events are very popular, guest speakers can be popular, and theater can also be popular. At Hamilton there is not much of a dating scene. Students hook up on weekends and that is about it. I met my closest friends through my dorm, my classes, and KSA. Hamilton has many traditional events that are well attended and respected by the Hamilton community. For example, Feb Fest is a week in February with lots of different events each day, such as pizza tasting, sledding, snowmen contests, and concerts.

there is nothing to do at Hamilton because it is in the middle of nowhere, everyone at Hamilton is pretty rich,

Marie

The best thing about Hamilton College is the academics. We have very small, intimate classroom settign taught by former ambassadors or other various prominent members in society. I would change the huge conflict of diversity-people dwell on it too much which makes it a problem. If you don't point it out no one will notice. Our school is very small but I enjoy knowing the faces on campus. When I tell people I go to Hamilton they either do not know what Hamilton is or they assume we drink wine and eat cheese all day. I spend most of my time in a dorm, either my own or a friends. The administration seems good, there are structural problems with efficiency of financial aid and the actual success of campus safety.

Students mainly wear upscale clothing. Most Hamilton students are from the East coast and from the higher financial background. Students have a very strong sense of political awareness.

They are only true for maybe 15% of our population.

Professors always know our names. I would say the campus is split in half of kids who study a ton and kids who do not study at all. Students are very competitive about GPA's. Academic requirements are amazing at Hamilton!!! There are barely any-we do not have any core curriculum!

Really depends on where, whom you live around and what kind of person you are.

Rich Drunk Wine and Cheese Really Smart and Studious

Mandy

The no core curriculum is amazing! As a freshman, I didn't have to take a biology class because I'm horrible at is and it made my freshman year a lot more enjoyable.

Sometimes the rich kids on campus do not realize that other people in the world aren't as fortunate as they are. If a person comes to Hamilton, they have to be ready for some ignorant people, but for the most part... Hamilton is great with really accepting, creative people.

Hamilton is a great school and underrated in the rankings! I am very happy to be here, but tuition is way too high! It is worth it though, I love Hamilton.

Some people at Hamilton definately fit the stereotype, however there is quite a diversified population here. Hamilton makes a big effort to make sure that there are different kinds of people here.

The professors definately know my name. I still say hello to all of my old professors and they care about how I'm doing and what my future holds.

Greek Life is a great thing for social events and parties, but definately doesn't take over the campus. Plenty of people aren't in a greek organization and they are known and active on campus.

Rich White Preppy New Englanders

The best thing about Hamilton is the class size. The small classes really allow students to get to know their professors. The campus is also extremely beautiful. However, it is not in a very populated/busy/interesting area.

I would say there is a place for everyone on the campus. Everyone can find their particular niche.

A lot of the time, but not all of the time.

It really depends on the courses you take how hard they are. I would say the science and history departments are the hardest, but I also think they are the courses that best prepare you for post-college life.

There is a lot of drinking on campus. A lot of students attend sporting events.

Everyone is rich and preppy. Everyone drinks.

Hamilton College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.