Clinton, NY
Hamilton College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hamilton College

Shelby

Has an amazing outing club and AA (Adirondack Adventure) orientation program. Very little time is spent "in town." Humans vs. Zombies (HVZ) is a great time, if you don't know about it google HVZ. The school needs a club hockey team.

"Preppyness" is a matter of opinion

No cake walk here classes are known to not be easy. Quantum Physics and Parables (a religious studies class) were two amazing classes that i took the same semester that suprisingly had many crossovers. During finals week my QPhys class had diner at my professors house who is amazing. Class participation is extremely common and expected. Students are not competitive. Hamilton has almost no general requirements, which gives you great freedom. Hamilton education is not geared at getting a job but the career centers provides great access and help gaining career related experience.

Crystal

Hamilton is a very small college located in upstate NY. I think one of the biggest problems with the school is that it is so secluded from everything else. However, to overcome the problem of seclusion Hamilton brings in a lot of people from off campus. For example, we have the Great Sacerdote Name Series, that since I have been here brought in Bill Clinton, Tom Brokaw, Al Gore and Aretha Franklin. Others who have come in the past have been W.B. Deblois and BB King among many others. One of the things I would change about Hamilton is the housing. I think that Residential life is not very good about accomadating students especially upperclassmen. I think that the administration is awesome. I have never meet a teacher that was not willing to help their students. It is not rare for a student to have lunch/dinner with a professor or advisor.

I think that anyone can feel welcome on campus at Hamilton. It is very interesting to note that there is no "code" of what goes on at Hamilton. If you walk into any classroom you might see one person all dressed up adn one person in sweatpants. I think that most students at Hamilton are from New York, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. Students are very aware and active we have a lot of clubs and activities that make it that way. Hamilton is left centered definitely liberal. However, many people who are conservative come to school here and thrive. My roomate is very conservative and she is always seen on the Hamilton website or local papers for doing something amazing. I don't usually hear people talk about what they will earn one day except for maybe occasional seniors who do.

I think that there are a lot of people on campus that do have money. But I do not think in anyway that snottiness describes the whole campus.

As I mentioned earlier, professors are very friendly at Hamilton. Whenever I am in the science center I see professors in the office and their doors are always open. I am a biochemistry major we are a unique group, there are six of us. I have been out to dinner with my thesis advisor a couple of times. It is not unusual to eat of with professors. I have also had meetings with professors at the cafe on campus.

The most popular groups on campus are athletic groups. Since Hamilton is a DIII school, most of the people participate or have participated in sports. Students in dorms so leave their doors open, I live in a quad and our door is always open. We have a lot of guest speakers come to campus (Bill Clinton, Tom Brokaw, Al Gore and Aretha Franklin, Bill Cosby, etc.) and a lot of people attend. I meet my closest friends through the basketball team that I was on. If I am awake on a Tuesday night at 2 am I am probably doing work. But if I am awake on a Thursday night at 2 am I am probably eating AMAZING diner breakfast at our diner on campus. One of the biggest social traditions at Hamilton is Class and Charter Day. it is a big day where everyone on campus gets outside and hangs out. There are usually sports going on. At G-road (a residential building) there are usually slip and slides and music and it is crazy (This usually involves drinking but people who do not drink are always welcome).

One of the big streotypes are Hamilton is that everyone is rich and snotty.

Evan

I really like Hamilton, but it can seem a little too small at times. There really isn't much of a college town, which I regret. There is a lot of school pride and plenty of interesting events going on around campus.

The student body is predominantly white, but there is some diversity on campus. Many different countries are represented which is cool.

Overall, Hamilton is a great school and I believe I chose the right school, but I want to go to a bigger grad school.

Classes are pretty challenging and I spent a lot of time doing work to get the grades. Professors are very accessible and often enthusiastic to meet with students to discuss anything.

The social life is pretty typical, parties and special late night events. It's fun because if you don't feel like drinking there are comedians, movies and other things you can do.

White, rich, preppy, drink way too much. All from boston, westchester, and fairfield county.

Courtney

The best thing about Hamilton is diner breakfast. Hands down. The Diner is open Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights from 12am-5am. They serve only breakfast food and it's amazing! I would like to change one or two things, like the gym requirement (it's just annoying) and, more importantly, the extent to which the minority student population is integrated into the community. Hamilton does not have a college town, which is probably the biggest downside of our campus. But once you have access to a car as an upper-classman, that issue becomes less important because there are good restaurants, a mall, a movie theater, etc. within easy driving distance. Hamilton does not have a lot of school spirit, but there are a few good teams to cheer for (Boy's Basketball and Girl's Soccor, especially) if that's what you're into. Generally though, students do have a lot of pride in Hamilton as an academic institution.

There are a variety of racial, religious, and socio-economic groups on campus. Coming from a diverse high school, I sought interaction with many different types of people on campus. Unfortunately, some students on campus do not seek out diversity and tend to isolate themselves among people similar to them. This is not necessarily typical, but it gives rise to many of the stereotypes about Hamilton. In general though, I think only an extremely introverted student would find themselves out of place on this campus; everybody else can find their niche. The majority of students here are from the North East, but I have friends from across the country, from states such as Georgia, Hawaii, Minnesota, Missippi,Tennessee, and Alaska not to mention international students from Pakistan, China, India, South Africa, Singapore, and Botswana.

Both of these extremes do exist on campus, but there are a wide range of diverse, interesting students in between. There is a drinking culture on campus, but not everyone drinks to excess and most people do not party every night of the weekend - we do have homework to do! Hamilton is an expensive, northeastern, private, liberal arts college and with all of that comes a high price tag and consequently, a lot of wealthy students. There is, however, a large population of students on financial aid or simply those who come from middle class families. And Hamilton also has a lot more diversity than many give it credit for. The problem seems to be integrating our diverse population of students rather than recruiting students from diverse backgrounds.

I love the relationships I am able to have with professors here. They know my name, are always available, and they genuinely want to help me succeed. Though some classes are lecture style, most of my professors have encouraged class participation. I don't find that Hamilton has a competitive atmosphere, though plenty of students are strongly academicly oriented. If you are looking for engaging, intellectual conversation outside the classroom you can definitely find it here. The most unique classes I've taken to date are Theatre 101 and 102. I can't really describe them except to say that I believe every student should take Theatre 101 just for the experience. The education here is definitely geared towards education for its own sake. There is career counseling available, and a Pre-med track for those interested in pursuing medicine, but for the most part students are here to learn not make their five-year-plans. The most exciting thing about Hamilton for me is the open curriculum it offers. I have the freedom to study and learn as I choose, so that I am not stuck taking classes that I hate.

The dating scene here is definitely skewed. We like to call it a hook-up culture. I do have a lot of friends in stable, long-term relationships but I'm not really sure how they get into them. In general, students here go out on the weekends, hook-up with someone, and then run into them awkwardly the next morning in Commons (our weekend dining hall). Some people party whenever they don't have an early class the next morning, some don't care whether they have an early class or not, some don't party at all. Most people are in between - they go out every so often, when there is a good party or they feel the need to let loose, and some weekends they are too busy, too tired, or simply don't feel like going out. There are always non-alcoholic options for an evening out on campus and some students just go to parties to dance and don't drink at all. I used to leave my dorm room unlocked all the time, and my RA does still. My roommate is uncomfortable about it so we lock it now, but I never had anything stolen. I have heard some stories, but I don't think many students worry about theft. I think fraternities and sororities are pretty important to the social scene on campus. They don't have houses so there isn't really a problem with exclusivity, but they do throw the majority of the parties on campus. You DO NOT NEED to be in a greek organization to go to parties and have fun at Hamilton, but greek societies do basically make up the social scene.

We are a campus of pot-smoking hippies and preppy, boarding school legacies. We binge drink and do hard drugs every weekend. Everyone here is wealthy, stuck-up, and white.

johny

The best thing about Hamilton is the academics. This campus is beautiful. This school is way too small. I spend most of my time in my or my friends' dorms. Most people don't know what Hamilton is when I tell them I go here. The most unusual thing about Hamilton is the dark side, it is really weird and it sucks in general. The food at Hamilton and in Clinton is not very good.

I have had very little experience with racial or LGBT groups on campus except for receiving tons of emails from them. I really haven't noticed if they have done much on campus but they are very vocal and like to make a lot of noise and "raise awareness". Different types of students interact but rarely will you see different types of students just hanging out. Everyone here is from the north east, usually "Boston" meaning anywhere in Massachusetts or somewhere in upstate New York. Most students are wealthy and right wing, but some claim to be left, most of these people are actually right.

Make sure Hamilton is the right place for you before you decide to come here. Many students are very excited to come here but are unhappy here after about the first month.

Very preppy, and very athletic on the light side not on the dark side, People are rich and love to drink everywhere on campus.

Professors are very friendly and always willing to help students if students put in the effort to seek help. Class participation is very common, students seem to be confident in their arguments and opinions so very few are shy in class. Classes here are fairly difficult and procrastinators will have a very difficult time keeping up. Students study all the time but still make time to goof around and have fun.

We are very secluded so almost everyone drinks excessively it is not rare to find kids that drink four or more nights a week. It seems that at least 50 percent of this campus regularly smokes pot. There is no "dating scene" here. Greek life is somewhat important because Greek societies throw dance parties that kids go to to dance, get sweaty, and hook up. There are no frat/sorority houses and these groups tend to stick to themselves. Off campus there are bars. A lot of guide books say that the student body is fairly attractive, I have come to learn that about one in twenty girls is attractive, the rest are average or below average.

rich and preppy, athletic, drinkers

Tommy

Hamilton is a small college in the middle of nowhere.

Hamilton is a small college in the middle of nowhere.

Courses here are very challenging.

Sports teams and Hamilton outing club are very big.

Sandy

Hamilton's isolated atmosphere is both a curse and a blessing. On the one hand, everyone is forced to find a social group that agrees with them, because otherwise they'd be bored out of their skulls. On the other hand, there is no way to go off campus without a car, and nobody has much interest in going off campus.

You'll fit right in if you're used to being social, if you're leaning toward liberal, and you can deal with a certain amount of bullshit that seems to be present on the campus. Most transfers, however, just don't fit into the social scene, for whatever reason. If you can't deal with being a sober kid at a college full of people who like getting drunk on the weekend, don't come here.

Hamilton has a ton of money lying around that it wants to give to you - you just have to find it. There are resources here that most students aren't even aware of. All you need to do is find them. There are things to do ranging from sitting around reading books to watching movies to dancing to singing to drinking, and everything in between. Just do what you want, and it will be ok.

For about half the population for each stereotype.

Joining choir was the best decision I ever made. The director is fantastic and the social atmosphere is open and inviting. Join small departments with small classes, and the professors will know who you are before a month is out. Then they'll say hello, come to things that you're involved in, and be generally pleasant for the rest of your career.

Play rugby, join choir, get a job, volunteer, play beach volleyball - you've got a ton of options for stuff to do. If you're bored, it's because you're not looking in the right place. And if you're still bored, just start something - people will come. Drinking is definitely not a necessity - though it is pretty popular.

Extremely preppy, raging alcoholics, and a serious stick-up-the-ass attitude about a lot of things.

Alex

I love the open curriculum. If I don't like a class, I can't complain because I chose it. I would change class scheduling. Because Hamilton is a small college, some classes are only offered one semester a year, or classes are only offered at once during a semester making scheduling difficult. I can see why the college got rid of them though. Hamilton is just right. Some people say it's too small, but I really like getting to know everyone. When I tell people I got to Hamilton, most people don't know what it is or where. I think its partially because we do not have a college town. Almost everyone stays on campus and drinks on the weekends.

Overweight students would feel out of place. There aren't really any overweight kids here. Hamilton Student= Rich, White, from they city, Boston or New Canaan, loves drinking, lots of fun, and somewhat politically aware. Most students dress nicely for class, but nothing extravagant. If there are four tables of students at the dinning hall they would be.. 1) Football players/male athletes with 6 cups of gatorade, 2) TDX guys and ATX girls, 3) pretty people eating together and 4) and all the random people chilling.

I would say that these stereotypes are close to accurate, minus the snotty part. Kids here are wealthy but very friendly. I would also say that drinking is a big part of campus life. Gotta love keystone light or vodka. Also, a lot of the student population is from the city, Boston or New Canaan--it is definitely noticeable.

Hamilton has a great student/professor ratio. All my professors know my name, and even professors that I had the semester before. My favorite class at the moment is probably Linear Algebra. I love the professor, he livens up my mornings on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I hated philosophy. The material and professor were not the least bit interesting. I would say students study pretty often, but it is not like Hamilton has an overwhelming amount of work.

The football team sucks. No one goes to their games which is a disappointment. There isn't a lot of dating per say, but some students hook up with one person for a period of time. Of course, there are a lot of random hook ups. If you are awake at 2am on a Tuesday, you are getting high or maybe finishing a last minute biology lab. The weekend starts Thursday, sometimes even Wednesday. Frats/sororities are important because they hold the parties on campus, it isn't really important to be in a sorority, but a frat on the other hand is more important. Last weekend, I went to a few parties and did some embarrassing things. Off campus, you can go to the bars downtown. I don't really know what you can do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking.

People think that Hamilton is filled with rich, snotty kids, with lots of money to throw around. People think that because we are in the middle of no where, all we do is drink, specifically Keystone Light. Everyone is either from New York, Boston or New Canaan.

Lorie

Here's one experience that I'll always remember. I think it sums up Hamilton. I was going back to my dorm with a friend. As we fumbled to find our keys, a boy--dressed in a sequined green 80s prom dress--ran over, opened the door, and yelled, "Alohamora!" (The door-opening spell in Harry Potter). That's what kids are here: very nice and very quirky. It makes me love the college even more.

Hamilton's student body is pretty diverse. Most students might look the same, but there are organizations for everyone. The campus has a more politically liberal feel, but there are definitely conservatives. Campus organizaitons--like Christian Fellowship, Hillel, or Rainbow Alliance--are welcoming and inclusive.

There are people of all types everywhere. Some people fit the stereotype, but the vast majority doesn't. It's just easier to see the kids who fit the stereotypes than the rest of Hamilton.

I'm a first-year physics major, and I've only had three professors in the department before. But all of them know my name. The classes in every department are small (for the most part), and professors are always available for help. There's no core, so students can take what interests them in building their liberal arts experience. Education is geared at learning for learning's sake, which is wonderful. Classes of all kinds are encouraged, and the emphasis on writing and research makes everything worth it.

A lot of students volunteer with the Hamilton Action Volunteer Outreach Coalition, and many students participate in IM sports. Weekends are big for parties, but that doesn't mean that there aren't other things to do. There's always a Late Night event on Fridays or Saturdays that don't involve drinking but do involve other fun things, like improv comedy, ballroom dancing, prom, or tae-kwon do. Feb Fest happens every February to remind us of how lucky we are to go to college in a place with such a beautiful winter. It's a week of sledding and hot chocolate joy.

Hamilton kids are stuck up rich kids who look like they popped off the page of a J. Crew magazine.

Emilia

The best thing about Hamilton is you can focus on your academics here since there's not a lot of distractions. I would make the student body more diverse. It's a predominantly Caucasian school. When I tell people I go to Hamilton, the older people say "Wow, that's a nice school. You can do anything when you graduate from there." The younger people say, "Why did you do that to yourself? It's in the middle of no where. I would go crazy." There does seem to be a lot of school pride. Most students complain about the food. You get sick of it after while.

These stereotypes are true for a very small percentage of the student body. Most of the students have been exposed to the real American culture. Which is different people, with different situations, from different places.

Professors know all their students names because our class sizes are very small. Class sizes are any where from 6 to 30 and 30 is pushing it. My favorite classes are dance classes because they are relaxing. My least favorite are Econ classes because they ruin your life. I think those are the hardest courses at Hamilton. Students study all they time. You have to if you want to pass at Hamilton. There's not a class you can slack in and expect to get a good grade. Not even Dance. Their pretty tough here. Class participation is unavoidable because we have small classes. The more silent you are, the more noticeable you are. Students are very competitive. You would have to be to get into a school like that. It's only natural that it would transfer over to college years. I feel that Hamilton's academic requirements are challenging but attainable. Like I said before this is not a school for slackers. The education at Hamilton is geared towards equipping you with skills that are going to help you succeed in life and in a career.

Hamilton students are rich kids that don't know what is going on in the real world. They think that the majority of the world is well off and just a few people are struggling and if there struggling it's their fault. Most of the students are from the middle of no where. A lot of the students hadn't seen a person of color until they came to Hamilton. Then they we're shocked they saw some at Hamilton.

Hamilton College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.