Clinton, NY
Hamilton College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hamilton College

andy

school is a great size but i would change the way kids thing about alochol and how they abuse it but are in denial about it.

professors are great and know my name. students work hard and talk in class. we are smart kids and show it. students always want to beat each other out. computer science majors are the best and the professors are the best.

Ryan

After two years, Hamilton is too small. People usually don't know where Hamilton is, but if you're in the northeast, Hamilton is known as a great institution that produces fabulous writers. I spend most of my time on campus in the library or partying on the weekend. We don't have a college town, but a small town that provides new england-esque comforts. Hamilton's administration is alright - they try their best but fail at gaining a diverse student body. The bigest controversy on campus was diversity issues - a white girl dating an african american boy had the words "nigger-lover" spray-painted on her car. School pride goes to the Hamilton Men's and Women's Rugby Team - NY state champions! We have the #1 Streaking Team - we streaked the NESCACS and many ivies. I will never forget the streaking team streaking the top floor of the library during finals week - one moment, I'm in the middle of memorizing history terms, and the next...I see way too much of the guy who sits next to me in my government class! Students complain about one dining hall being open on the weekend, not enough intro classes open to seniors, and how apathetic the student body is.

There are students who are preppy, from nyc, hold trust funds, and went to private schools - but overall, students are here to learn and take advantage of the opportunities that Hamilton has to offer.

Hamilton students are known to be preppy, nyc-trust fund, private school children who take advantage of the college experience by drinking as much as possible before they have to go onto the real world to hold jobs on wall street provided by their family connections.

Gray

To be honest, Hamilton is not at all what I expected. I've been here for almost 4 years now, and I still feel like I do not fit in with the majority of the campus because of the obnoxious attitudes that are fostered and allowed to continue. Many students are coddled by the administration in that there is no sort of responsibility on the student to figure things out for him/herself, and as such, the administration treats the rest of us (who are functioning adults in society) like little children. For instance, I have had many conversations with the dean, campus safety, and other administrative groups on campus regarding many issues I've had with being treated like an adult here. When, after 2 months of not getting the parking spot I WAS PROMISED as a senior with a great lottery number I talked with the person in charge multiple times, I was actually yelled at and told that I was an ungrateful person who had no right to parking in the first place. I'm sorry, but my mother raised me with a great attitude, patience, and positive behavior, and for someone to accuse me of being rude and ungrateful is disgusting. I went to talk to the dean about this issue, and still nothing was done. When my father ended up talking to the dean, OF COURSE immediately the issue was resolved. The school is maybe not too small, but because we are on a hill, 1.5 miles away from the town, away from all other forms of life, it is very restrictive and uncomfortable. If I didn't have a car, I think I would have had to transfer a long time ago. No one has ever heard of Hamilton where I'm from (Pennsylvania), so I basically explain that it's a very small liberal arts school in the middle of nowhere in NY state. As I explained above about the cheerleading team getting no support, there is no school pride in terms of people going to activities and being proud of Hamilton. There is lots of interest from the people who drink all the time and don't do their work that "Hamilton is awesome!" but this does not translate into people being interested in improving the well-being of the students on campus; it translates into self-interest.

My parents are quite well-off, however when they were married at the age of 22, they had nothing. Their dates when I was young consisted of going to Wendy's and buying a milkshake, because they did not have enough money to go out to dinner AND pay the babysitter. As such, throughout my life, we have gone from being quite poor to being quite wealthy, and while this would lump me in with some of my classmates in terms of socio-economic status, I feel that I do not have the same outlook on life as most of these other people because I was never given tons of money or super-privileged, because my parents didn't think that was the best way to raise children. As such, as I've already said, the students here are obnoxious about their money. It would be one thing if they walked around campus with their Dolce and Gabbana bags and were friendly towards other students, but they're not. I get the "I'm so much better than you" vibe all the time from people, and after 4 years on campus, I know for a fact that they're not better than me. Race is considered a crutch here at Hamilton, and I'm sick of feeling like a bad person because I'm white. Just because I'm white does not mean that I enslaved all the blacks, or that I am racist, because I am not. Many times I feel, especially on a well-educated campus like this one, that the people who keep racism alive are the people who are supposedly fighting so hard to end it. There's no way in hell I would be able to start a White Student Union, so why should the Hispanics, the Asians or the Blacks be able to? The kind of student who would feel out of place: a normal American kid who wants to do well in school, has morals and values, and doesn't consider getting trashed every night of the weekend their favorite pasttime. There is no mixing of the social groups. You are in a group and you stay in that group. Most students are from Boston, nice places around NY, Connecticut, etc. Everyone seems to have a friend that knows someone else who goes here.

Honestly, I've hated my experience here. I was told that so many people go to church and are interested in their faith and there are so many good people here - well, where are they? I'm not a psycho-hyper-Christian, but there are literally 20 people in Chapel every week. Twenty. Or less. For a 1800 person campus. That's awful. No one cares about anyone else unless it's to jump on the bandwagon of, "Let's complain about the army going into Iraq, but then tell them that they need to go into Darfur instead!" I'm not saying that that's not an important topic, but does anyone else see the hypocrisy? I don't feel comfortable speaking out about my religion, my views on race or ethnicity, or my political beliefs or morals, because the few times that I tried to, I was shot down, made fun of, or basically harassed by my professors. I was sexually molested by my BEST FRIEND January of my freshman year, and to be honest, I think that that entire situation sums up how Hamilton is. Did my other friends stop interacting with him afterwards? Did they bond around me and tell me that we were going to go to the Administration and discuss this? No. They continued to be friends with him and even hung out with him behind my back. THIS is the attitude of the students here. THIS is the attitude of the faculty here. THIS IS WHY I HATE THIS SCHOOL AND I WILL NEVER GIVE ANY SORT OF TIME, ENERGY, OR MONEY BACK TO IT IN THE FUTURE.

Not completely, but yes, overall, it is true. Obviously I don't feel like I fit in with these stereotypes, but I will quote what one person said to me a few weeks ago at a bake sale I was holding to sponsor the cheerleading team. When asked to buy a cupcake, he said, "I don't like the cheerleaders." We asked him why not, and he said that we were not "cool enough." After hearing that, we all said, "Are we still in high school?" His response was the following (which is key): "Maybe not, but college is basically like high school, only with alcohol and you actually get to hook up with the girls instead of just make out with them." That basically sums up the attitude of a good amount of people at this school.

I'm in the Hispanic Studies department (Spanish), and I was double-majoring with Chinese until this past year. My professors know my name, but outside of class are not very friendly. I come from a very small town at home so I'm used to knowing everyone when walking down the street, and even the people I don't know I still say hello to. That does not happen here at all. Most people keep to themselves or their own groups, and that goes for professors as well. I do not spend time with my professors, and in fact, I feel that my attempt to speak with them outside of classroom time is a burden on their life. My favorite class has been a computer science course. The professor is very understanding, hysterical and really energetic. You can tell he knows the information and does not take himself so seriously that he lacks all sort of communication ability with his students. Some professors think of their subject as being the only subject and their insights into life as being the only way to think of things, but he does not. Everyone participates in class, but there are no intellectual conversations outside of class. Rarely would I overhear a conversation about anything more than random social things when walking around campus or sitting in the dining hall. Students are not too competitive. The academic requirements aren't very difficult, and I'm glad that there is the ability to choose what you want to take without having a set of core courses as many other liberal arts schools have. Hamilton educations are geared towards learning for learning's sake. This semester I am taking an education class where I go and teach ESL to refugees in Utica, and this is the first class that has actually given me some sort of real world experience.

Dating. Wow. There is no dating. No one wants to date here at Hamilton because all anyone wants to do is hook up. No one wants to make any commitments for any reason, and to be honest, it's probably better that way because I wouldn't want to date anyone here. The guys are disgusting. I met my closest friends through pledging my sorority which I am now president of. I love it, I love the girls, and I can't imagine having gotten through Hamilton without them.

Hamilton students stereotypically are snobby, rich, obnoxious students who come from pretty good families but who aren't smart enough or good enough to go to Ivy League schools. Most are incredibly pretentious and use their money and labels as a way to make themselves feel better about the fact that they are never going to be the smartest or most successful person in the world. Upon graduating, many students are placed in companies or into jobs which their parents, their parents' friends, and friends of friends have secured for them. Most students work somewhat hard but on the weekends are nothing more than drinking, immature, sex-starved idiots who run around trying to get trashed and hook up with the easiest girl/guy at the party.

Laurel

I love Hamilton. The best part is the small campus. It's so nice to walk across campus and recognize many faces. Additionally, a small campus allows professors to get to know students really well and give them personal attention in and outside of the classroom. It is a great feeling when I professor I had last semester came up to me a few weeks ago and commented on an article I had written for the campus magazine. Hamilton is a lot of work, which sometimes makes it difficult to have an active social life. On the other hand, most classes are really interesting and since the professors are really challenging, my writing has improved a hundredfold and that is an essential skill I can take with me after graduation.

There have been many issues on campus lately on how to make minority students feel more welcomed on campus because Hamilton is admitting more students of diverse backgrounds but we don't yet have the resources to necessarily make all groups feel included. We are working on it, though. Since we are a small community, however, different types of students interact regularly in classes, sports teams, campus organizations, and socially. The vast majority of Hamilton students come from NY, MA, and CT, but almost every state is represented and there is a large percentage of internation students hailing from Mexico, Norwary, Tanzania, India, China, etc. Many students come from a privledged economic background, but Hamilton offers a very good financial aid package, so that allows students of less financial means to attend Hamilton, and as one of those students, I have never felt excluded due to my financial situation.

That stereotype represents probably half of the student body. The rest of Hamilton students come from very diverse backgrounds and represent many different ethinicities, cultural and economic backgrounds.

Hamilton has no core curriculum, which is one of the biggest pulls for the school. This means once you pass an easy qualitative literacy test or class, and take three (actually enjoyable) gym classes and pass an easy swim and fitness test, you have no requirements outside of your major. You choose to take the classes you want to, no requirements. This is great because you don't waste time in classes you are uninterested in, but also means that every student in your class wants to be there, insighting better class discussions and allows the professor to be more challenging. And Hamilton professors expect you to work hard. They are demanding, but my writing has improved a hundredfold under their tutorage and that is an essential skill that I can take with me after graduation. My favorite classes are taught by Professor Ambrose in the history department because even though he is one of the most challenging professors on campus, he is a genuinely nice person and so enthusatic about history he often runs around the classroom or stands on desks to get his point across, which is really inspiring. At the end of the semester he also invites all his classes to his house to have dinner with his family, which is a great experience. The English department is also very strong, although some professors are better than others. I once read the advice from a Hamilton alumni "to take the professor, not the class" and that is really true. No matter the subject, a great professor can make a class amazing and inspiring, and a poor professor can ruin it.

Hamilton's social life is a little disappointing. The majority of campus activities on the weekend revolve around a party and drinking. Some parties are hosted by fraternities and sororities, but all students are welcomed to attend, and frats and sororities don't play a major part in Hamilton's social life. Hamilton also tries to bring in other activities such as musical and dance performances and speakers. We hosted Aretha Franklin last weekend, and her performance was a one in a lifetime opportunity. There really isn't a dating scene at Hamilton. Offcampus, there really isn't much to do. The town of Clinton is cute and offers your basic grocery store, but really don't cater to college students, although a new cafe recently opened hoping to do just that. A twenty minute ride away, by the vans Hamilton opperates to take students off campus, there is the town of New Hartford which has a mall and just about every chain store or restaurant you can think of. New York and Boston are both about a four hour drive away, and Hamilton often offers bus ride and sponsered events in the city.

That we're preppy white kids from Northeast prep schools.

Olivia

Small rural community with an emphasis on community. The faculty are outstanding and committed to making your academic experience as good as you care to make it.

Hamilton has a phenomenal faculty. They are always available for students whether it be for extra help, an independent study, or a coffee break. Faculty consistently go above and beyond to ensure every student is happy academically. The facilities are fantastic, and the food is amazing. Not many college students in upstate NY get made to order sushi and pasta stirfry every day and the all you can eat policy is golden. Downers: Hamilton is tiny, everyone knows everyones business (or thinks they do) and by the time I reached Senior year I was dying to meet some new people. There is a frustrating sense of entitlement on campus; students who think they deserve (grades, internships, job offers, travel opportunities) just because they are them rather than earning it. Clinton is cute. That's about all you can say about it. You can enjoy a trip to the local cider mill or bistro but don't expect much else. There is a constant duel between the two local bars and aside from the fact they are our locals there is nothing special about them.

NY, MA, CT! and one representative from every other state and a smattering of countries so admissions can say we are diverse. Good mix of political views although republicans tend to be quieter.

to some extent, yes, how do you think stereotypes get started?

No requirements! All my professors know my name and most show up to my swim meets and choral concerts. I have been invited out for coffee, lunch, or dinner on multiple occasions. Easy to get a B you have to work hard to get an A unless of course you are a communications major.

Weekend starts Thursday and I hope you enjoy drinking. We call it Beirut here, not Beer Pong.

WASP, cliquey, money money money. I know when a jcrew catalogue is released because they are in 80% of the girls' mailboxes, furthermore 10 business days later I see the jcrew packages all over the place. Preppy.

For a large percentage of the population I believe they are.

Are you kidding? Professors know my name, my hometown, attend my swim meets and choir concerts, invite me over for dinner, will pick up things at the grocery store for me (I don't have a car)....99% of the professors are outstanding and ultimately they are the reason I stayed at the school. Hamilton is work intensive. Whether or not that improves our learning processes, if you want to get As it takes a lot of work. Sundays are dedicated to the library and there are a couple hours of work every night in addition. Class participation is encouraged, required, and necessary if you want to do well, presentations are a part of every class. There are occasional intellectual conversations outside of class but not as many as I have seen in other communities. There is a pretty even mix between competitive and relaxed students. The econ department is one of the most respected and distinguished on campus. While heavily male dominated, it is an excellent resource. Keep in mind that Hamilton is a liberal arts school and Econ is not a good substitute for business, we look at the theory of economics. My favorite class at Hamilton was Industrial Organization with Professor Jensen, an amazing course. Requirements? We don't have any! I haven't taken Science or Math since High School and I love it. The requirements for the majors are clear cut and manageable. While the Hamilton education is not pragmatic in terms of the 'I will remember this lecture next year in the workforce' sense Hamilton did a wonderful job teaching me to think creatively, write effectively, and communicate efficiently. These are the transferable skills that I depended on during internships and interviews. Aside from that I feel I am totally prepared to learn the on the job skills following graduation because Hamilton has given me such a good base.

Greeks throw the most successful parties even without the presence of Greek housing. The parties though are the same every year and get very stale. Swimming occupied a majority of my time (whether preseason or inseason) and many of my closest friends are on the team. There is a lot of drinking on campus. The weekend starts on Thursday and carries through (heavily) the weekend. They recently started a Trivia night at the on campus pub and it has been a huge success.

white, wealthy, jcrew cutouts, oblivious to the outside world, Westchester County (or if you are really being 'diverse' you might find a kid from Fairfield, possibly MA somewhere)

The best thing about Hamilton is the small, close knit environment. You are able to form very close relationships with professors and get extra help when needed because of the small student body.

Hamilton strongly encourages diversity among its students. We have many groups on campus such as the Rainbow Alliance, HEOP and BSU that celebrate different backgrounds and beliefs. However, most of our student body seems to be from the north east, especially places like Fairfield and Greenwich, CT so it can seem like a New England Prep School. However, there are people from different places you just have to get to know them.

Overall, Hamilton is a really fun, close place that provides an unforgettable academic and social experience that cannot be replaced.

Some are; there are a lot of rich people but also a lot of people who are on financial aid as well. Most everyone here is very smart, you have to be to get in. Partying is very big on campus but drugs and alcohol can be avoided to have fun. Everyone is pretty friendly although clicks form very fast and can be exclusive.

Academics at Hamilton are superb. The professors take attendance and know me personally. My biggest class size is 35 and I have a class where there are only 15 of us. My classes emphasize discussions and give everyone a chance to share their views. The classes are all so interesting and the professors are extremely passionate about their subjects.

A lot of students play sports at Hamilton. If not on Varsity, IM sports are very popular as are wellness classes. We have local sororities and nationally affiliated fraternities as well. Many people drink on weekends but there are always places to go that do not involve drinking such as the mall, movies, or going out to eat. The Jitney provides transportation to these places if you don't have it yourself.

rich, preppy, intellectual, love to party, drinking very popular, friendly environment

Leighanne

Our school is small, which is good because it ensures that you will have small classes with professors who are always available. One may say that some professors "live" at the science center. When I tell people I go to Hamilton, I either get "oh, where is that?" or "Wow. Great school!". It depends on the person, but most professionals and people who know anything about schools know how great of a college it is.

I'd have to say literally no student would feel out of place at Hamilton. The dark side is a group of more artistic creative students and the light side is filled with jocks, math and science majors. There are a lot of so called "preppy" kids but there is a unique balance. Every student here is unique and has some quality to bring to the campus.

At Hamilton, every one of your professors will know your name. Most of the time you will have a very personal relationship with your professor, which includes them asking you about sporting events, coming to games and being interested in your life outside academics. My personal favorite class is Calc II because its a great class and I have an awesome professor. Mathematics offers a wide variety of mathematical skills including calculus, vectors, linear algebra, differential equations etc. The department has great teachers who are willing to spend any amount of time to help you understand the material.

There are many popular organizations on campus especially IM sports. Almost 75% of the students here participate in IM sports at some point or another. Personally I have played three so far including football, volleyball, and softball. They are a truly fantastic way to make friends and bond with other people interested in that sport. Some are competitive while others are not so there is a place for everyone- but just warning you it gets really INTENSE! None the less they are great fun to play.

Some stereotypes would include very preppy people who are rich. The people on the dark side are very "artsy".

KJ

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably have gone to Boston College. With that said, Hamilton has been a great experience for the most part. I think the location of the college is too isolated, creating an intense party scene (and all the good and bad that goes along with it - including a rumor mill you wouldn't believe). Oddly enough, for such a small community, there isn't as much school spirit as I anticipated. I know a lot of this has to do with the fact that we are a Division III school, but I'm always disappointed at the number of students who come out to support the athletics and the arts. In recent years, we've been trying to find ways to get more students involved in Hamilton spirit, such as making a "Social Traditions" committee that organizes and promotes campus community events. I think this is a great addition to the school and really appreciate the work that they do. Hamilton as a whole is a little bubble: a place to meet friends, party, make mistakes, live a little and study in a safe environment. Being on The Hill is like stepping into a universe of our own. We all cohabitate independently of the external world -- free of tremendous responsibility and blissfully unaware of the world waiting for us a quarter mile down College Hill Road.

The Hamilton student body is divided into two groups. There are the "Dark Siders" and the "Light Siders." Light Siders are the preppy kids - popped polos and a new lexus. Dark Siders are the crunchy kids - dreads and potheads. These are obviously stereotypes and I don't actually think there are ONLY two sides to this campus, but it is a common perception that more than a few people prescribe to. You can "choose" which of those groups you want to identify with by where you live on campus and might even participate in a little Dark-Side/Light-Side rivalry from time to time.

As much as I love Hamilton, the drug problem is appalling. Cocaine? Are you kidding? At Hamilton you get a slap on the wrist for that shit ... in the real world, you get locked up. Hamilton does such a good job preparing its students for life in some ways, but in others ... the institution turns a blind eye. I have a dear friend who graduated a few years ago who is struggling with a cocaine addiction that she developed at Hamilton and it makes me sad to think that no one could or would crack down on her while she was here.

The college admissions process frequently favors candidates coming from legacies and, as a result, there is a population of students who are sliding by on their parents' name or donations and who really don't deserve to be here. Many of those students are the same ones who contribute to the stereotypes about Hamilton being "preppy," "rich" and "snobby." It's up to every individual to decide whether or not this is true.

In my experience, Hamilton academics have been great. The professors are extremely helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. I have really grown as a student during my time at Hamilton and I wouldn't trade that for the world. Now that I'm a senior, I started to worry that the Liberal Arts education wouldn't serve me well getting a job. However, I, like many of my friends, have all found great jobs in a number of fields and am happy to say that the Liberal Arts education prepared me for the real world in ways that a more "specialized" education couldn't have. We know how to solve problems, we know how to analyze and sell ourselves into any position we want. And that's impressive.

Hamilton students work hard and play hard. I think it would be hard to make a blanket generalization about the social scene at Hamilton because, while there is no overarching support for any one group, there are pockets of students who DO attend every athletic, music, art and lecture events on campus. The only thing about the Hamilton social scene that I find really odd is that the sororities aren't national. All the fraternities are national organizations, but the sororities are all local. I think this is a huge disadvantage for the sororities and actually hurts the Greek life on the Hill as a whole. Being under national control keeps things unified and consistently holds all governing aspects of that society to set standards. When I was a freshman some of my friends and I asked the administration if there was the possibility that we could go National and they seemed uninterested in the idea. I know a lot of the faculty want to eliminate the Greek presence on campus, but it is one of the most lively facets of Hamilton and it would be a shame to see Greek life die out. I can say from personal experience that while I love my society, I often wish it were a national sorority.

Hamilton students are often classified as "preppy," "rich" and "snobby." We are also supposedly one of the most attractive student bodies in the United States - but the males are notoriously short.

Parker

Hamilton is a small school in a fairly rural setting. That said, students may complain about the lack of anything to do around here but we get along. There is fun to be made in the woods just as much as the fun a person can find in a city. It just depends on what a person is interested in.

We are more diverse than a person might realize at first glance. Some students have had trouble feeling out of place in their sexual orientations, but there are many people on campus with whom they would find a place. You will mix with a variety of students with very different views on this campus. The main thing about Hamilton is that most people are willing to listen to a point of view they do not necessarily agree with and accept a person as a friend although their beliefs may conflict.

While there is a concentration of conservatives on this campus, and while there is a disproportionate number of private schoolers in attendance, this campus is actually fairly liberal and accepting of differing viewpoints

Students here are serious 9-5 kids. We study hard, but know when to put the books aside and socialize. Professors are very accommodating and friendly. I have never had trouble getting face time with a teacher or with meeting their work expectations.

Hamilton is a very open place socially. Greek life is an all campus event. Only a fraction of the campus actually joins a fraternity or sorority, and associating with Greeks is common. You do not have to join a 'house' (there are no actual Greek houses on campus anymore) in order to be friends with a Greek. Greeks host most of the parties thrown in social spaces, but these parties are always open to the entire campus and most people do attend. Partying here typically begins on Thursday nights, and the truth is that our campus enjoys a good party. The most popular sporting events are basketball and hockey. A good number of students will attend any given game.

That we lean towards the right, politically

Athlete

Hamilton is a small school but the facilities and resources that it has are equal to that of much larger schools. The professors are great people who really take the time to get to know you, classes are very small compared to other colleges, and are very challenging. There is not much to do around the school, so mostly all parties are held on campus. The school does an excellent job at keeping students on campus and providing transportation on weekend nights as well as an all-night diner.

There is diversity here and I think most students her feels comfortable being whoever they are. Hamilton students are very relaxed and don't particularly care if an individual is different from the "mainstream".

Hamilton is a lot of fun but be prepared to work hard.

Though some people here represent these stereotypes, Hamilton admissions does a really good job at trying to diversify the Hamilton community, even though the school is quite small, I think there are a lot of different types of people here.

Professors know everyone's name. They expect a lot out of their students and give students the tools to succeed. Students study very often and some students in certain majors are competitive but on the whole, students are pretty relaxed. I believe academics here are on par with middlebury, williams, and amherst, though they are often underrated.

While we study hard, we also party, very hard. Every weekend there are at least one or two all campus parties serving alcohol, not to mention smaller dorm parties where students typically play drinking game before going out to the all campus parties. Weekends are generally pretty crazy and Thursdays tend to be a big party night as well. Fraternities and sororities host many of the parties, though they are not a main focus in the school's social life.

All students here are from Westchester County or Fairfield County. Everyone is rich and preppy.

Hamilton College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.