Clinton, NY
Hamilton College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hamilton College

Scarlett

Hamilton has a beautiful campus that looks like Hogwarts. The weather is AWFUL, and definitely the thing I would change about the school. But when the weather is nice, the campus is gorgeous and great to hang out at. There isn't much of a town, but part of Hamilton is being AT Hamilton, which I really like. I like going to such an exclusive school, because people are really impressed when they hear you go there.

If you're a hippie or anything like that, you'll feel out of place. Hamilton is mostly white and wealthy. That's just how it is. Most people are from CT. There isn't must political activism, but if that's what you really want, it can be found.

Honestly, I am preppy and I am often a drunk. I LIKE that Hamilton is isolated and priviledged, and it is part of why I picked the school. However, 60% of the school is supposedly on financial aid....so who knows what the truth is?

Class participation is very important. I've had only one FANTASTIC professor, and one really good one. The rest were all pretty boring. I'm surprised we don't have better professors. But we have alot of really cool seminars. Hamilton is about learning, but there is a vast Alumni network which ensures you can get a good job.

I am in Debate society. I love it, I meet great people, and its a ton of fun. Partying is very central to the social life here, but I like that. There are major pros and cons for just about everything here. We have good speakers and bad ones, good parties and bad ones. You can have random hookups, or you can date.

We're all preppy drunks, and Hamilton is basically a country club for the privileged.

Andrew

The Split between the dark side and light side is huge here. Except for the mix of kids in classes in sometimes feels like there are two schools here with the more artsy dark side and more preppy light side. Since there's no real town here to go to, everything has to happen on campus and most people stick to their side because they like the people there and also (espescially during the frigid winters) because they dont want to make the trek across campus.

The student body is pretty homogenous: white kids from the Northeast whose families before them were college educated(many at Hamilton). The vast majority are WASPs and a lot private school kids. The school insists only 40% of kids went to private school but it certainly feels like more than that. Coming from a fairly economically diverse public high school, it took a little while for me to adjust to the fact that more people were wealthy here than I was used to. I think Hamilton definitely has to try harder to get a more economically diverse student body by offering more financial aid if they continue to fail to become more racially diverse.

Even though I might have said some negative things about Hamilton, it's still a great school. It has it's downfalls, but because it's such a small community you make great friends and manage to always have a good time.

Yea, I think a lot of them are true. The light side is definitely far too preppy(almost to the point that I completely avoid going there) and there are a lot of rich WASPs here. The partying is ridiculous at times but I think Hamilton's current policies of just trying to keep everyone safe instead of trying to prevent inevitable underage drinking at college does a great job. Lack of diversity is an issue, but I don't feel like my education is suffering unless they fix it.

From my experiences one year here, I think the academics are amazing. For the most part the classes are very small and professors try to get to know each of their students. The best way to describe the competitveness here is passive. Nobody acts competitive but when they find out they got the best grade in class or that their friend is doing better than them, they are driven to do better.

Considering the fact that we're located in the middle of nowhere, upstate New York, there's more to do than you would expect. The school does a good job in keeping clubs afloat and funding them so they can run events on campus. An organization that I'm involved in, the Emerson Literary Society (part club, part society), gets speakers to regularly come to campus (some recent lecture topics include organic farming and a coffee lecture/tasting), and we also sponser other clubs' events by donating money. Fortunately, fraternities and sororities don't play that major of a role. They do tend to throw a lot of parties that many people show up to, but by no means to they control the campus (only 30% of men and 20% of women are in them).

Hamilton is definitely known for being too preppy. We're also all supposed to be ridiculous rich and WASPy. We're known for being kind of a party school(even though we work pretty hard too). Not being diverse enough, and the split between the dark side and the light side.

Catie

The best thing about Hamilton is the campus community and the openness of the student body to different types of things on campus. The community is tight and supportive of all members of it. It is the perfect size; small class size but a sizable community make it not overwhelming, but not boring either. Most people are impressed when I tell them I go to Hamilton. It has a strong legacy and is competitive with the top schools in the country. I spend most of my time on campus in the athletic buildings, as I play and manage a sport, but also in the Science Center- where I like to do most of my studying and there is a constant influx of people mowing about. The administration of the school are very good. They care about student needs and make student needs a priority. There is a lot of school pride, and there are always a lot of people at athletic events cheering on the school. The unusual thing about Hamilton is its open curriculum- we have no course requirements. We also have a strong interest in the outdoors and tons of outdoor trips, or events outside. The most frequent student complaints are probably about the intensity of the courseload.

The student body is diverse, and getting more so each year. There is a definite preppy side of campus, but also a more hippie side too. Students wear everything from business attire to pajamas to class. Different types of students definitely interact, and that is a result of the small size of the school and close nit community. Most Hamilton students are from the north east, but there are students from all over the United States and 30 odd countries, with diversity increasing each year. Students are politically aware, and there is a good divide of opinions on campus.

Some students obviously meet the stereotypes, but on a whole there is much more of a variety of students.

Professors are very close with students and teach all their classes. No classes are taught by T.A.'s. Class sizes are very small, 80% under 20 students and most average about 10-12. There is a lot of interaction with professors, and since Hamilton does not have a graduate school, all the research professors do, undergraduate Hamilton students take part in. Class participation is very common and required anyway by most professors. Students are competitive, but constructively. The most unique class I have taken was a team taught, multidisciplinary class on Global Warming that went over not only the science of it, but the politics of it as well. I do spend time out of class with my professors, and often they come to my games. Education here at Hamilton is definitely geared toward learning for its own sake, but a good job as a graduate is also understood.

Hamilton is a very active campus. 40% of students participate in a varsity sport, but there is also a high number of participants in the arts. We have a lot of guest speakers, and a huge one at the end of each year- this year, Aretha Franklin is coming. There are a lot of traditions on campus, ranging anywhere from sporting events like "HockeyTown" and "Buff and Blue Night" to "May Day" (a musical festival) and "Spring on the Hill," a day set up to increase relations with the town of Clinton where the school is located.

very preppy, all east coast prep school kids, wealthy

Haley

I absolutely love Hamilton even after less than 2 semesters at this campus. Although some people find Hamilton to be uncomfortably small in terms of the student body, I really appreciate that you can always meet someone new on the weekends but you can also recognize a lot of students. Another complaint about Hamilton is that it is secluded in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes I do get a cabin-fever feeling but one really positive aspect that comes out of this is that the majority of students stay on campus on the weekends. This gives everyone the opportunity to socialize with students of all classes (in other words it's not just freshman stuck on campus on the weekends). The social scene is incredibly accepting-- every weekend there are parties hosted for the entire campus that are a blast and something that I think are completely unique to Hamilton. There is a lot of school pride and I love being able to say that I go to Hamilton. The reputation for its academics is fantastic and it is true that professors are incredibly helpful and always make themselves as approachable, helpful and available as possible.

Although ethnically Hamilton is not extremely diverse, I would not say that it is completely preppy and there are many different ways that the campus is diverse. There are many international students and I already have several friends from countries all over the world. Also, I don't find that the campus is over-run with preps. Although there are a fair number, there are many students who have their own unique style, who don't have a particular style at all or who just don't care. I think a lot of people when generalizing Hamilton's campus as preppy forget that there is a large population of students who are passionate for the outdoors-- Outing Club is the largest club on campus afterall.

One of my first classes that I took at Hamilton was Outdoor Adventure Writing. This class was completely awesome. We read books about and by famous explorers such as Shackleton, Lewis and Clark and Conrad Anker and then set off into the Adirondacks for hiking, kayaking and canoeing to have and write about adventures of our own. What an incredible way to start off my first semester at Hamilton.

Probably one major stereotype is that Hamilton is very preppy and does not have a very diverse campus.

Lily

Hamilton is way smaller than my high school, yet somehow I am always meeting plenty of new people.

Hamilton students are typically more priviledged than others.

Although you can find these students at Hamilton, they're not as plentiful as I expected. There are just as many stereotypical hippies, and everyone has a different story.

Professors get to know you quickly, and often invite you to coffee or dinner at their house. It is an open curriculum, so there is no specific math, English, or science class you have to take in order to graduate. This is great, and lets you concentrate on taking classes you like.

Hamilton offers social spaces for organizations to use for parties that are open to everyone. Frats and sororities also don't have housing, so they aren't as exclusive and have open parties.

Preppy, "yuppie" type students from upper-class boarding and private schools with plenty of money and plenty of drugs and alcohol

Cameron

The people(students and faculty) make Hamilton so incredible. Profs actually care how you are doing both academicly and as a person. If you are making an effort in their classes they will look out for you. These relationships are just as prevolent among the student body. Upperclassmen didn't treat me like a "freshman." From the first day on I was a college student, just like everyone else...there was barely any distingishing of age. The school is a bit small...but big enough to avoid a crazy ex-girlfriend or something comparable (If things exist). Most people have heard of Hamilton and are impressed if they're familiar with the liberal arts schools. However, one guy was really confused when I told him...Hamilton college? Oh it was named after that president right?

Great acedemics. Great social scene. And the men's tennis team is absolutely gorgeous.

A lot of kids on campus might fit this description to a T. However it's all dapendent on how you look at things. Yeah a large percentage of kids are financially well off and there is not a ton of diversity (racial or geographic) but there is a ton of diversity in opinion and attitudes. It's incredible how a seemingly homogenious campus can have such different outlooks on issues such as, religion, politics, and human nature.

Professors are great at Hamilton. They know my name, my friend's names, and probably my dog's name too, if I told them. I study a few hours every night, and then probaly read for an additional hour and a half. Take something from the history or government departments if you have the chance! There are no core curriculum requirements.

Hamilton get's written off as a bunch of white old-money preppy kids from New England.

Gene

The best thing about Hamilton is the open curriculum. There are no specific classes that you are required to take, only a few petty academic requirements that are easily fulfilled. However, once you begin classes, you have only one week to register for a new class if you decide to drop one. I would like this one week "shopping period" to increase to a two week period. Hamilton's size (around 1700 students) is just right for me. I went to a public high school that was substantially smaller, so it felt like a larger community when I first stepped onto campus. When I say I go to Hamilton, many people say something like, "Oh, isn't that in Minnesota?" It is nice living in a college town (Princeton) where people are educated about the different colleges that are out there, otherwise that type of response would be all that I'd hear. People who are familiar with the school, however, know of its excellence. Clinton, in stark contrast to Princeton, is lacking in many aspects of your typical college town (variety of restaurants, a Starbucks, different banking options, movie theatre, etc.) It's main fault is its distance from campus: 30 minute walk there, a 45 minute walk uphill back to campus. Frequently, students complain about the disparity throughout the on campus housing offered at Hamilton. Housing can range from loud, dirty dorms in bad locations to regular "Taj mahal" dorms located near everything important.

There definitely could be more racial and religious diversity on campus. As for socio-economic diversity, it's rather hard to tell someone's financial standing unless topics such as vacations, cars, or financial aid come up. Students certainly don't brand people differently if they know they are on financial aid. However, students come off as wealthier rather than poorer. Students wear a spectrum of clothes to class, everything from sweats to designer jeans to hoodies to flannel shirts. It's easy to determine the "hippies" from the "prepsters" in any class. Most students are left politically, though I've seen more right-wingers as the 2008 Presidential Race has wore on.

While many students fit the wealthy stereotype, most students are informed about the world outside Hamilton and are active in organizations on campus that strive to aid those less fortunate.

I feel that I have close relationships with my professors, though only in an academic sense. If I need help with anything related to a class, I feel perfectly comfortable going to a professor. Students, especially seniors, are very motivated towards landing that "perfect job."

You shouldn't come to Hamilton if you're not at least open to the idea of drinking alcohol on the weekends. Although the college does a decent job of bringing entertainment onto campus (comedy shows, bands and singers, performance groups, etc.), the bottom line on a Saturday night tends to be the kegger going on in the Bundy dining hall social space.

People think that students at Hamilton (and at most small, liberal-arts schools) are rich, spoiled prepsters who like to live within their college bubble.

aib

I love the friendliness of the community. I wish people would be proud of our mascot (The Continental - A Soldier). I like my school's size, a little bigger would be fine, a little smaller would not. Most people say that that's really cool. If it happens to be an alum, they are so enthusiastic, but with good reason - its a great place. I spend a great deal of time in the science center (3 science classes and 2 labs), the pool (I'm a swimmer), and my dorm. We have a streaking team and that's pretty cool.

Much of the campus is preppy, but I think that students have the freedom to dress however they want. Not everybody is from prep school or Westchester or Farfield counties. As for the diversity, it is primarily white, but more diverse than my high school. As for the alcohol, yes, there is a lot of it, but mostly because campus safety is realistic about it. They're not going to bust every party, instead, they try to keep in in control and non-destructive.

All my professors know my name. I love the science dept. excepty physics (its really hard). Students are always studying but find time to do other stuff too. Class participation is frequent, and professors will provoke you to say something which is good. The most unique class i've taken so far is a political theory class with 14 kids where we are reading primary texts from socrates to machiavelli, hobbes to marx. There's no distribution requirements and its really nice, you just have to be disciplined with what you take.

Preppy, Not Diverse, Lots of Alcohol

Laura

The best thing about Hamilton is walking down Martin's Way. A day doesn't pass that you walk down the path and fail to see someone you know. After, say, a long day of class, there's nothing better than a quick hello or conversation in transition between classes. So on a similar note, I'd say the college is just the right size. You can't name every person on campus but generally speaking you recognize everyone and can feel comfortable waving at any given person. If there was one thing I would change, I would hope for a stronger connection between the town of Clinton and the actual college itself. I'd say the "Hill" that we refer to as Hamilton is in fact more than a geographical barrier; there is not much mixing between the town and college. But all in all I know that years from now I will have nothing but good to say about my time at Hamilton.

I'd say it depends on the way you choose to spend your time at Hamilton. There are obviously those kids that definitely fall into the category of "blue collar," but that's not to say that the entire campus IS that way. Statistically Hamilton definitely needs work on diversity, but at this point in time it by no means is a negative part of the community.

Again, size is an optimal part of a Hamilton education. Class sizes are generally incredibly small. I would be shocked to hear of a professor that doesn't known each of his or her students by name. So far I'd say the most fun class I've taken is Creative Writing. Going to class each day felt like more of a treat than work. But the best class I'd say is Economics with Professor Bradfield. The ease with which he teaches such technical concepts is astounding and really quite intriguing. And not only do the professors really put time into specific class meetings, but they are really always there. They practically live in their offices, I feel, so that they can help you when you're in need. And the students definitely appreciate it, I'd say. While, like any other collge, we have fun, we do take school very seriously. At night, the library is packed--it's practically the cool place to be. We're there to learn; yes we are there to enhance our future careers, but we really are there to learn just to learn as well.

I am involved in the greek life at Hamilton. I think the greek life at Hamilton is the perfect balance, though. Unlike, say, huge schools, fraternities and sororities do not rule your life. You don't live and breathe greek, thank god. Albeit, they are the main source of parties on campus, but they are very much mixed with the rest of the campus (partially due to the absence of greek housing). But there still is a ton of other stuff going on, on campus. There are always new comedians and musicians on campus thanks to CAB. Guest speakers come all the time as well. The a capella groups have a good number of performances. Games are always going on. And all of this stuff is incredibly well attended.

Hamilton is stereotypically a very white, blue collar campus.

Tim

Collectively, we are a laid back group of preppy kids. We are not as Frat like compared to schools like Colgate. Everyone has a sense of pride in the school. There is a distinct clash between the light and dark sides that is a challenge to overcome. Hamilton succeeds in allowing everyone to have their own fun. There is little dialog between the administration and the student body. Overall, the diversity of our thoughts do not shine through in our social lives but rather in the complexities of our academic classes.

Everyone is rich, which is why many people chose to go here. International students tend to isolate themselves from everyone else.

Academics at Hamilton feel a lot like seminars at prep school. People seem to try very hard at pushing food around their plates instead of just eating. IN the library, people talk about how much work they have, even though 100 and 200 level classes do not have that much homework. People are very protective of the integrity of their respective majors.

The best weekends are First break away, Halloween, Farm Party, Class and Charter

Frat, rich, stuck up, prep school, preppy, intelligent.

Hamilton College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.