Clinton, NY
Hamilton College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hamilton College

jamie

Hamilton is a small tight knight community. Students are ready to support one another and on average are very friendly and outgoing. If I could change one thing I would off more doubles, quads, and group living arrangements, since they always seem to be the firs things to go in the housing lottery. Upon telling the average person I go to Hamilton, they have never heard of it. When I got in and told my teachers they were all very excited and knew of Hamilton's writing reputation. I spend most of my time divided between the classroom, practice, and library. There is a town...kind of, but with in 20 minutes there is a decent mall, movies, chain restaurants and department stores. I haven't really gotten to know the administration. A freshman girl got hit by a car in the cross walk. It happened on her way to a mourning class. Fan will come out a cheer for the big home games. For diffrent teams diffrent groups of students will cheer/dress up/show up/paint themselves/and many other thing to try and get Hamilton riled up.

Hamilton has its conservatives and liberals, democrats and republications, Christians and atheists, varsity sports teams and debate teams, and many others, one of the best parts of Hamilton is that you can join all of them and no one will judge you. Hamilton is a very open tolerant community. Most of the students are from New England. The typical student will wear jeans and a sweater or sweatshirt to class.

About half of the student body (I believe) is on some form of financial aid or work study program. There are students who are very well off, but you would never know it. Two-thirds of the campus is involved in some form of athletics, at the same time Hamilton is ranked high academically. This eliminated the division of the so called jocks and brains, since students can and do preform well at both.

Classes tend to be on the small side and are rarely if ever taught by a TA. Professors really make the effort to get to know the students' names. Their doors are always open, they also set aside ample office hours and urge students to come by. Students are competitive but will often and are often encouraged to work together on problem sets and assignments. Hamilton does not have academic requirements which allows student to truly expand into many fields with out having to constantly worry if they will end up with enough credits in their respective fields. Hamilton educates with a focus on learning, but then being able to apply that to the real world.

Hamilton students are typically stereotyped as privileged. Other stereotypes break the student body into jocks or brains.

KC

The best thing about Hamilton is the number of amazingly well-rounded, grounded, and happy people who I've met here. I've made friends that will last me a lifetime, and Hamilton's small size creates a homey feeling. When I leave Hamilton, I know I'm going home...but I also know that when I come back, I'll be home too. I only wish Hamilton had better name recognition- it's a great school on par with almost any other small, liberal arts school on the east coast, just no one hears about it. The Science Center is a great place to hang out and study, with lots of private rooms overlooking the valleys of upstate New York, a cafe that serves great coffee as well as chocolate chip cookies, and computer labs.

While these two groups do exist, the majority of campus falls somewhere in between, composed of well-rounded, happy, grounded people.

My academic experience at hamilton has been extremely rewarding. Professors consistently have proven themselves dedicated and enthusiastic about the material they teach and about the students as well. My french professor even invited us to her house to made crepes! The majority of my classes have been under 20 students, and participation is a must. There are always a few bad apple teachers, but it's easy to avoid them. The student body works hard, and you get as much out of it as you put in. There is no competitive atmosphere here, more of a communal "succeed together" feeling.

Stereotypically, there are two types of Hamilton students- the artistic, crunchy granola Dark Siders, and the preppy, fabulous Light Siders.

Morgan

I would agree that the vast majority of students on campus (or at least those you see walking down Martin's Way) fit the preppy , fairfield county mold. I initially did have an issue with the lack of diversity on campus (which admissions is working on). This seems hypocritical since I am from one of the fairfield county towns typified at Hamilton; however, I did NOT want to go back to high school. Although there are many stereotypes, there are so many wonderful caring people at Hamilton college, who deserve more than just a cover reading.

While stereotypes are bound to form at any school, there are a lot of stereotypes about Hamilton College and its students. For one, we are believed to be "rich white kids from fairfield county". Another stereotype I have heard is that Hamilton is a very "pretty" school. Despite appearances, I have heard that "we party and study hard".

Alex

-Best thing about Hamilton: I have made some awesome friends, and the teachers (and ALUMNI!) really do care about us individually, as long as we put in the effort to get to know them. -One thing i would change: To have a bigger community atmosphere...there is a lot of extracurricular clubs and activities going on, but not a whole lot take advantage of them and I wish everyone would. -My school can be too small sometimes....you pass the same faces on the way to class, a lot of people will find out about your personal business w/hookups and dating. -Most people know hamilton by name, and they think it is a good school. -Spend most of my time on campus...basically everywhere...my room, friend's room, commons dining hall, the diner, the gym, etc. etc...the campus is very accessible and you can find a friend in every corner (and some corners where you can just be alone). -what college town? the people in clinton either love us or hate us...they can't live w/out us because we support many of their small businesses, but we can also be a typical drunk college kid peeing on their lawns and such...since we are on a hill we tend to stay away from the clintonians for the most part...there is a big rivalry between the "townies" (clinton kids our age/high schoolers)--they like to come up to party but usually start fights or act sketchy -unusual: there is a streaking team...and it's pretty well organized...enough said. -one experience i will always remember (or parts of it): class and charter day. the last day of classes everyone wakes up really early to party and celebrate the last day of school basically. everyone dresses up (it's also always beautiful out), there is a cookout on the main quad, and then live music at g-road, some upperclassmen apartments down the street. it is by far one of the best party days/nights at hamilton.

four tables in the dining hall: -the sports table: all of the sports teams go to dinner together after practice and sit together...ranging anywhere from track to rugby. -the frat/sorority table: self-explainatory -"core" group of friends: your main group of friends at hamilton usually go to dinner together...attach any stereotype you want...preppy/rich girls/guys, nerds, potheads,etc. -financial background: since hamilton is so expensive, a lot of wealthy kids go here...many of the kids do not show off their wealth in their style of dress or material items. there are also kids who are on financial aid, but they are not isolated or left out of the community at all. -good mixture of political views...the liberals are seen more because they express their views more than conservatives...you will definitely meet conservatives at hamilton, however

-Popped collars: There is a good amount of preppy kids on campus, but there are also a lot of kids who are into the more earthy, hippy style, as well as those who fall in between. Lots of [social] diversity overall. -Typical liberal arts school: Somewha

-professors know your name. classes are small. students study very often (but there are some who don't study at all--they don't do well), are usually seen at the library from sunday night until wednesday night. -class participation is common...often a big part of your grade...it was kind of scary at first during freshman year, but you definitely get used to it and end up enjoying what the rest of the class has to say (vs. a professor lecturing to you all morning...) -some of the professors have their class over for dinner at their house. if you want to get closer to your professor, it is definitely possible, but you have to make an effort to see them outside of class for extra help or to talk about something interesting from an extension of a class discussion. -intellectual conversations: yes...but not all the time. -competitive: somewhat, but not really...more like your friends encouraging you to study and do well in school. it gets competitive when people are applying for the same internships on campus or the same grants. -academic requirements: the no core-course curriculum is awesome, and the requirements can be somewhat demanding, but nothing the students cannot handle. being a double major is stressful, especially since you have 2 theses during senior year (but its also do-able).

-Popped collars and pastels -Typical liberal arts school--rich white kids -Lots of binge drinking and drugs

Roby

The best thing about Hamilton would have to be the interesting professor you come across from time to time. Last semester I had a history professor that I really enjoyed and this semester I am taking a geology course and I think the professor is great. If I had to change something I would probably change the size and location of Hamilton. With a maximum of two thousand people and an isolated campus it feels way too much like high school. I have had friends tell me that they feel like they are in boarding school all over again, because its really almost the same thing. Especially as a freshman when you are not allowed to have a car. Most people from Atlanta have no idea that Hamilton exists and is actually a good school. Most of my time is spent on campus and in my dorm. Clinton is not anything like any college town I have ever been to. There is no downtown scene and nothing that comes with the stereotypical college town. I feel like I am missing out at times. I don't have much of an opinion about Hamilton's administration. They seem fair and concerned about the students' needs. I can't really remeber too many controversies. The last one that was anything more than high school drama was when racial remarks were written on someone's car. No, there is next to no school pride. At least that is what I have found. None of our atheletic teams are very good, so I can't blame anyone for not showing school pride. I think there may have been more people at my high school's football games than at Hamilton's games. The streaking team is pretty unusual. I don't think I have had any unforgetable experiences at Hamilton. The most frequent complaints are about the size and location of Hamilton.

Everyone is pretty open and accepting, but segregated at the same time. I think anyone could feel at home at Hamilton. I would not want to come here for any reason if I was African American though. Most students dress fairly casual for class. Not sweatpants and a tshirt causual, but some do. I usually wear khakis, a tshirt, a sweater and a jacket to class. Different types of students do interact, but only from time to time. The four tables would probably be the fraternity and sorority kids, the football kids, the hockey kids, and then the normal Hamilton students. A huge number of students are from MA and CT. Most people seem to be quite well off. Some students are more active than others, but I feel like everyone has at least some idea of what is going on in the world. If I had to guess I would say that the typical students is center and leaning to the left. To be honest the only reason I'm considering staying at Hamilton is because of the possible job opportunities. Yes, I have heard students speak about how much money they hope to make after graduating.

Hamilton is great for the right type of person. If you don't really want to be here it will be miserable. I don't think I am the right type of person for Hamilton.

I had not heard any stereotypes before, but the ones that I have made up are fairly accurate.

Most of the professors I have had knew my name. My favorite class has probably been medical and forensic geology. It is exciting and different. My least favorite class has been an intro sociology class. My professor had no idea how Hamilton's curriculum worked and was unfair. Students spend a good amount of time studying. Sometimes it feels like that is all they do. Class participation is required and is common. Intellectual converstations do happen outside of class. Students are probably harder on themselves than they are others. Medical and forensic geology is the most unique class I have taken. I do not have a major yet. I do not spend time with my professors outside of class. I feel like Hamilton is way more demanding than I expected. Education at Hamilton is all about learning for its own sake. I have learned nothing that would help me in most typical jobs.

No one is really most popular. I guess the fraternities because they throw the parties, but if you're not in a frat you aren't missing out on anything. I am not involved in any groups. I tried to get involved with one of the music events groups, but they were pretty snobby. Yes, most students leave their rooms open. Events are not very popular and I doubt anyone would go if they weren't required to for class. The dating scene is just like high school. I met my closest friends by living in the same dorm with them. I would either be studying or having a hard time sleeping. I don't know of any traditions or events that happen each year. There was Feb Fest, but that was pretty stupid. Most people go out Friday and Saturday. Some will go out on Thursday as well. Not too many hardcore partiers at Hamilton. The Greek scene is not important to be involved with. They just throw the parties which are usually free and open to anyone. Last weekend I did not do very much. Mostly sat around with friends. You can do anything thats going on on a Saturday nigh without drinking. There is no pressure to drink. I don't do anything off campus. It is way too inconvenient to get off campus if you do not have your own car. Maybe twice a month I will hang out at a house downtown.

I can't say I have heard too many stereotypes about Hamilton or Hamilton students. If I had to make some up I would say that all Hamilton students are white, doing quite well financially, went to boarding school, and are from either Boston or CT. Most of their time is spent locked in their rooms studying and on weekends things don't get too much more exciting than that.

Hamilton College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.