Clinton, NY
Hamilton College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hamilton College

I'm actually a tourguide and therefore spend a great deal of time talking to parents and students about colleges, and I honestly believe most people are looking at details that don't much matter. The truth is that once you find a college at the academic level you are pursuing, all the colleges are very similar: if you are looking at small liberal arts colleges, for example, they're all going to have a challenging curriculum and great programs. The most important thing you can do is find a place that feels right and where you know you can be happy for the next four years. If a campus seems miserable when you visit, it probably is, and you probably don't want to be there. If you have time, do an overnight so you can actually meet students. Its definitely worth the extra effort- you are going to be there for four years!

The best things about Hamilton is probably the opportunities and learning environment the school provides. There are numerous opportunities for reseach positions and fellowships. Class discussion, critical reading, and learning to write are key aspects of the Hamilton academic experience. Teachers are engaging, and students are friendly. Hamilton is great!

The worst thing about Hamilton is the overreliance on alumni opinion. Because we have such a large endowment, often times older, conservative alumni make decisions because they give money. They are great people and do great things for the campus and students, but at times they are a little out of touch with the current campus climate.

Melissa

White. Middle and Upper Class students. So people who do not fit this description we have exception.

Research Writing and Public Speaking. For having a strong Alumni support system

Really check out the school before you commit to going. But it is not the place, it is what you do when you are there and mark you leave behind once you graduate.

Most students are athletic, friendly, very intelligent, partiers, and from upper-middle class families.

Although the location of a college is important, the main thing students should identify is what type of learner they are. Do they benefit more from interactive classrooms? Will they need professors with accessible office hours and flexibility in regards to students' different learning capabilities and needs? Although large schools may seem more exciting, it is not conducive to all learning styles. Conversely, if a student has a certain career track in mind, look for schools in which the location offers many hands-on opportunities to gain experience.

If you want to go abroad, it's important to plan out the classes for your major so that you don't have to cram them into your junior and senior semesters.

Jenna

Trust your instincts - they're usually right.

Trust your instincts - they're usually right.

Everyone loves it - the people are passionate.

Sometimes the "preppy" contingent gets a bit overwhelming. Also, the school places a lot of focus lately on athletics. Sometimes it seems as if academics or extracurriculars are placed aside for good athletes, in regards to admission.

An amazing education for the financially and intellectually elite.

An amazing education for the financially and intellectually elite.

This isn't a school for people who don't want to work for their success. The work you put in will correlate to the success you attain. Also, the school is not very handicap accessible. Most of the historic buildings don't have elevators. Oh, and no air conditioning either, but that's not really an issue since it doesn't normally require it.

Find the college that fits. I applied to Hamilton on a whim and when I got in, I looked at it further. On the internet it seemed great and once I visited, I was thrilled, but it wasn't that way for all colleges though. There was one college I won't name that just made me feel uncomfortable. Also, look for paid visits. Several schools will give a small travel stipend to accepted students. For example, one school paid for airfare, rental car, and hotel room for both my mother and I while I was there. Good luck!

ashlyn

We have a TON of school spirit!!!

We have a TON of school spirit!!!

It's probably the cheesiest piece of advice in existance...but it's the truth. Sometimes, picking a college is just like trying on a new pair of sneakers. One pair'll just fit better than any other, and you can't give any viable reason why. That school may have just had a friendlier stray cat roaming about or it's fitness center may have just smelled better. But, one things for sure, whatever that reason may be...when you're visiting colleges, keep your eyes peeled, because you never know what it'll be.

That we don't have a grad school here.

Gabriela

The type of person who should attend my school shouldn't be afraid to express themselves intellectually or creatively. There are different types of people who would fit in my school, but they have to tolerate the seasons. Also the kind of person who should attend is someone who likes a small campus and doesn't need to be in a Division I team.

I usually tell my friends how pretigious my college is as a liberal arts school. I also brag about the college life and how great it is to be going to my school. Though the course work is heavy at times, you can still enjoy and have a social life. There is always something to do, either planned by you or the school organizations. And the friends you make are for life.

I advise that the student visit the college and stay for a weekend, if they can. It is a good way to get a feel for the campus and the people there. You can audit a class, go to different events, talk to students and faculty. Also make sure that you choose the right college based on what you may want to do and who you want to surround yourself with. You don't want to choose a college where you will miss home or be sad most of the time.

Erin

Hamilton College truly is a community. The small size of the student body coupled with a tight knit homey campus allows everyone to form life long bonds. Professors, adminstrators, and school employees add to this community feel. Everyone is friendly and willing to help students with any problem they may have. Hamilton also provided a great deal of academic freedom and flexibility. There are no core course requirements, so one is trulyable to focus on what interests them. Professors are eager to listen to student ideas, and more than willing to aid them in their intellectual pursuits.

As the oldest child in my family, my parents were understandably nervous about sending me off into the collegiate world. Their solution was 'The Great College Search'. Beginning my junior year, every family vacation was built around looking at schools. Coming from a large high school, I thought I wanted a similar setting- some type of large university. After seeing a few of these, I realized a small school would better suit my needs and interests. I wouldn't have realized this without going to physically see these schools; talking to students and professors was an incredibly important part of my search process. I am forever grateful to my parents for taking the time to visit schools with me. Their willingness to discuss pros and cons of each school was crucial to the decision I made. Once I enrolled at Hamilton College, I got involved in a variety of activites. I fully encourage students to participate in anything and everything their school offers. Whether it's a sports team, a club, or a volunteering opportunity, activities are a great way to meet people and feel like part of a community. You only have four years- make the most of them!

Honestly, there is nothing about Hamilton that I would change. I had a fantastic experience there, and only wish college was longer than four years.

Parker
Tell us about the food and dining options.

Mortimer visits Commons Dining Hall at Hamilton College. What follows afterwards may have you in for a shock.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Hamilton College vs. Union College

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Hamilton's last three seasons of fun and general pandemonium

Hamilton College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.