Clinton, NY
Hamilton College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hamilton College

Zachary

Hamilton has nothing around it which means that the extracurricular activities of a Hamilton student involves alcohol, drugs and sports. I do not mean for this to be a negative portrayal of the school, but in reality the majority of the Hamilton population enjoys partaking in these activities. Nonetheless, there are still many other events available for those students whom to do want to drink or participate in IM or varsity sports.

In reality while there is a legitimate division there is no animosity on either side.

Academics are quite rigorous at Hamilton, but no more so than any other NESCAC college. Our professors are well-informed, accomplished and most importantly are always available to further discuss class material. The availability of our professors is the most impressive aspect of Hamilton's academic community.

The campus is divided between the dark-side hippies and hipsters and the light-side prepsters.

Ashlyn

I love the size of Hamilton. It's about 1,800 students. Some people would find this too small, but I wanted a community campus where I would see people I know or recognize every day. I wanted small classes where I could develop relationships with my professors and have in-depth discussions and debates during class periods. I have certainly found everything I was looking for and more. Hamilton was my first-choice school and I'm thrilled to be a student. They also have an interesting program for a select group of freshmen. I was one of them: a January Admit. My year, about 28 of the "Jans" went to Ireland and 5 did their own things (like take night classes at Harvard or journey through South America). It was such a fantastic experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. I formed such close bonds with my fellow Jans in Ireland and I'm still close friends with most of them today.

Personally, I can't imagine anyone feeling left out of Hamilton's community simply because I love it so much and I've enjoyed my experience there thoroughly. However, if you do not like small communities in small towns where the main events happen on campus (ie: acoustic coffee house, Greek parties, club parties) and there isn't much to do in the surrounding area, I can see how someone might feel suffocated. Also, it is very cold in the winter. Brutally cold.

While the school definitely has the aforementioned type of person, there is also a large group of artsy students. The school is also in the middle of a diversification campaign that is bringing new and interesting students to the campus.

Classes are often on the small-ish side, which makes skipping or lurking in the background difficult. But the professors take the time to learn each student's name and create a relationship with him or her. Class participation cannot be avoided! In terms of requirements, Hamilton does not have many. A "point" for a quantitative class is required (any math class will fulfill this or some sciences). We are also required to take 3 writing-intensive classes in our before we graduate. These are usually interesting classes that you wouldn't expect to write in, like a dance class, and you're allowed to re-write every paper in order to improve your skills. This is a big part of Hamilton's identity because we pride ourselves on our writing abilities. We even have a famous story about a student who went to graduate school at an Ivy. The professor called this student out in class and asked her/him (I can't remember this person's gender at present) where s/he had gone to school. When s/he replied Hamilton, the professor was extremely impressed and told the rest of the class that they should have attended Hamilton.

Popular clubs and organizations are the club sports (especially rugby) and Campus Activity Board (CAB, they organize concerts and other things). In terms of Greek life, I would say that it is not crucial. I am in a sorority, but I have friends outside of the fraternities. They always tell me that they never feel left out or out-of-place at campus parties thrown by the fraternities and sororities. Students will leave their dorm doors open in more social dorms, but in substance-free dorms I think students are more likely to keep their doors shut.

Many people think that Hamilton is only "preppy" or "waspy" kids from New England boarding schools.

Blake

Bottom line, you have to love snow. There is nowhere to go, nothing to do in the area outside campus, so you go on hikes in the "Glen" or cross country ski or just drink hot chocolate and watch movies. There's always stuff going on, like concerts and speakers. The campus and administration are very interested in bringing entertainment to us, since there's nothing around.

Although Hamilton claims to try to be diverse, it's like any other New England college- mainly rich and white. Most "diverse" students never socialize outside their own groups, mainly because they don't relate to the rest of the campus. It's sad but it's true. However, individuality is encouraged by everyone. There's a group for everyone, and all the groups intermingle. There is really a sense of community. People always say that about their colleges, but at Hamilton it is actually true. Everyone is here to learn. And since no one lives off campus, we can do so without the responsibilities of rent or real life. Hamilton is relatively sheltered, but students aren't naive.

The biggest complaint from girls AND guys is that the dating scene isn't any good. its not that no one wants to be in a relationship-- in fact, most people from both sexes do-- it's just that with all the scrutiny that comes with a small campus, it's hard to keep everything separate or private. It's a lot of fun having classes in rooms with fireplaces and wood floors.

Professors are very, very open and friendly, but it definitely depends on your major. There isn't too much competition between students because everyone is very supportive of one another. The environment is about learning, and so you are supposed to love every class. And usually, you do. You want to do the work because you want to learn the material. These aren't 400-person lecture halls, they are 12- person discussions. Even as a freshman you'll have small, stimulating classes. The largest class I have ever taken was around 35 people-- Economics. Creative Writing has a really really weak department, but Classics, my other concentration is amazing.

Rugby is a big sport. So is Hockey and Lacrosse. Everyone does something, but you're not pressured to be involved with everything. The dating scene is nonexistant. You're either very much together or just hooking up. There's no where to go on a date, and everyone knows each other (small campus) so it's not like you can wait three days and then call someone back after a good night with them. However, the "very much together" relationships tend to be very stable and normal. Couples in relationships tend to also be best friends-- that comes from predominantly co-ed dorms. Nothing's a mystery. Because it's a small campus, you have freinds everywhere. Frats/Sororities tend to throw the big parties in campus buildings designated specifically for parties (no frat houses on campus), but you get the feeling that they're throwing the party for the school, not for themselves. One weekend you can spend watching a marathon of Lord of the Rings and the next you're at a rave. It's a very fun campus in that way. Fun fact: We have a streaking team.

There are two sides of campus: Light Side and Dark Side. Light Siders tend to be preppier-- pastels, popped collars, very wealthy. Dark Siders are more artsy and funky. But just because you're a light sider doesn't mean that you're not friends with people different than you. There is also a stereotype that everyone is very wealthy. This is for the most part true, but there are a lot of people on financial aid. However, kids who aren't financially secure might have a hard time relating to students who blow $300 a weekend on alcohol. Another stereotype: that we're heavy drinkers. I'll be honest, it's true. The sub-free kids tend to stick together and are a little bit odd. But just because most people drink heavily or do drugs doesn't mean that there's a lot of peer pressure. Everyone makes their own decisions.

Mallory

Hamilton is great because there are no course requirements and you can take whatever you're interested in. It's also really easy to get involved in things for free- I joined debate team and started learning piano this year, things I never did in high school. There's REALLY good free entertainment almost every weekend, and the party scene is perfect- extremely fun and available without being sketchy or dangerous. The classes are small and the professors are so friendly.That said, it has its drawbacks. Diversity is not very prevelant- most of the campus is (nice) rich, white, New England. There's not a large interest in sports. The town that we're in is pretty small, but there is a mall and a movie theatre and a few restaurants and a free van service that people actually use to get there. Lastly, it's a play-hard, work-hard mentality- not the place for you if you start your weekend on Tuesday. I usually have several hours of reading and homework each day, but I love the subject matter at least.

Although diversity is small, there is large acceptance of minority and gay students- and there are definitely groups to join dedicated to promoting them. This is not a school where people wear pajamas to class, at all. Winter is North face, Uggs, expensive jeans. Summer is J Crew sundresses- but once again, no one is a snob about it. Most of the students are from Boston, Westchester, Connecticut, or New Jersey, but I know a few people from the West and South too. Politically activity is moderate at best, and people are pretty liberal.

There is a kernel of truth in each of these. Almost all students are rich- but I'm not, and it doesn't bother me because you're all starting out on even ground and no one's really a snob.

There are no course requirements, and it's generally moderately easy to get the classes you want. Some classes are larger, with 50 or more students, but most are about 20. Class participation is expected and the students usually have brilliant things to contribute. Your professors really care about you and if you take advantage of office hours, they become your ally. The classes are challenging, with a LOT of reading. A lot of students have career-forward majors like Econ or Gov but there are just as many art, writing, music, and science.

There's a club for EVERYONE, and it's so easy to join them! Dorms are either cozy and friendly or huge and university-like, and your dorm experience really depends on where you live. Free live events are really popular and really get a lot of people together. The dating scene is sort of small- the hook-up scene is much larger. People generally go out on the weekend and drink, but there are non-alcohol events too. The frat/sorority scene is present but not too many people join. They throw great parties and are well-liked, though. There's not a lot to do off campus.

Some of the stereotypes are: They are all rich, they are all from Westchester, they are all very smart, and they are all alcoholics.

Cindy

The campus is absolutely beautiful..the friendships students make are amazing and the relationships with the professors are very close. There is nothing unusual about Hamilton, and there is a lot of school pride.

Hamilton is the perfect size for me, when I tell people I go to Hamilton they're like,"wow you must be really smart!" lolz There is a lot of school pride and I spend most of my time either doing my work in my dorm room or practicing in the chapel.

There is a lot of diversity on campus. There are students from all over the world with different religious, racial, and economical statuses.

The professors definitely get to know every student's name, working one on one with each individual. As a music major, my favorite classes are the theory classes and the music rehearsals. Although there aren't many music majors, there are professional musicians and faculty that make the music department strong. Students are extremely competitive here, and the education at Hamilton is definitely geared toward getting a job.

There are a whole lot of different groups to join in Hamilton. Athletic events are, for the most part, popular and we tend to have wonderful, famous guest speakers to come to Hamilton. On a Saturday night that does not involve drinking, one can either study or do something, like shop, off campus.

There are hardly any stereotypes here at Hamilton College.

I am part of Christian Fellowship, where we have large group meetings every Friday and sing, play music, and have a speaker. Also, every sundays are the church services held at the chapel, where I volunteer to play music during each service. I was also part of the BSU, Black Student Union (you don't have to be of african descent). Yes, different types of students interact, however, most of the time students hang out with those of their descent. Hamilton students come from almost everywhere.

Yes, I am from the HEOP program, and it seems like the only minorities on campus are almost all from the HEOP or Possy organizations. Not much diversity..

Professors know every student in the class and have a close relationship with their students. As a music major, my favorite class is Music in Europe from 1600-1900. Although music is not at all a popular major at Hamilton, the music department is wonderful and has great, professional, and fun professors and musicians. Hamilton students are extremely diverse when it comes to conversations; they do have intellectual conversations outside of class, but at the same time, do know how to have fun. I do not spend time with professors outside of class. I do feel that the education at Hamilton is geared toward getting a job, and will prepare everyone for the workforce.

Students in dorms don't usually leave their doors open..mostly unlocked. Dating scene..ha! Well, there are lots of random hook ups that people always talk about, but barely do you see any couples holding hands around campus. People party Thursday nights, but moost of the time people party Friday and saturday nights every weekend. The frats and sororities are important around here, mostly for those part of them. I partied last weekend and did some work on sunday. On a saturday night, you can't really do much that wouldn't involve drinking..you could go party hopping and just dance and have fun, but otherwise, the majority of students here do nothing but drink while partying during the weekends since theres nothing else for us to do here on campus..parties are fun tho lolz. I dont do much off campus..just take the jitney to go shopping.

That there aren't enough minorities.

Hamilton is the perfect size. You don't know every single person, but you know a lot of people. Walking on campus any given day you'll say hi to at least five people every ten minutes. Students can have a good time, but we can also be very serious too. Our college town is small, but we have a good relationship. We are very proud of our school. I will always remember the day my friends threw me a birthday party after only having known me for a month.

We have a very diverse campus and we are very into activism. Everyone fits into at least one place in Hamilton. All different types of people interact. People of different orientations, religions, races, and ages. In the dining hall, often athletes sit together after practice, but besides that, everyone sits with everyone else. Many people tend to be from the Northeast, or New England. People come from all different types of financial backgrounds. Students are very politically aware and active. They tend to be predominantly liberal, but there are all types of students.

Hamilton is the place I've always dreamed of. I never thought there would be a place where I could just feel I belonged. College is a microcosm of the real world, and if the real world is anything like Hamilton, I can't wait to get there.

While we do have preppy people, it's not like they take over the campus. We're very diverse, athletic, and yes, studious.

Professors almost always know your name and are available for extra help. They love to talk, even about extracurricular subjects. My favorite class is an environmental class called Nature and Technology. My professor is stimulating, encouraging, and inspiring. Our class discussions are so philosophical. People study hard, work hard, and participate. I plan to double major in Government and Foreign Languages. Because Hamilton has no core curriculum, I feel like I have certain freedoms that no other college would grant me. Hamilton can help you get a job, and help you learn just for the pleasure of learning.

We have all types of organizations: political, social, and religious groups tend to dominate. I am involved with the Debate team, and it is very exciting. Students almost always leave their doors open, and all of my floormates are some of my closest friends. Events on campus are very popular. People go to sporting events, concerts, or comedians. There are always substance free alternatives during the week and on the weekends. I met my closest friends on my pre orientation trip and in my dorm or my classes. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday night, I might be studying in the science center or in my dorm. People party during the weekend, but it is not uncommon for people not to drink. Fraternities and sororities are not dominant, but they exist. They throw a lot of parties where everyone can come hang out. The parties on campus are open to everyone, so no one is excluded. Off campus you can go to the mall or the movies.

They are overly preppy, athletic, and studious.

Sasha

I love the size of Hamilton. I transferred to Hamilton from a much larger state university so in comparison, the small liberal arts community is great. Hamilton is located in Clinton, NY, which does not offer much in the way of things for college students to do. The town is small and quiant, but students typically live on the hill and spend all of their time on campus (various forms of entertainment come to Hamilton students, rather than students traveling to shows, concerts, movies, etc.). In general, Hamilton students take great pride in their identity on this campus. I feel it is an honor to be able to say that I am a Hamilton student. I have found that some people have never heard of this small school, however, the ones who have are very impressed by its reputation and esteemed academic vigor.

While there is still not a great deal of racial or religious diversity on Hamiton's campus, I have come to be familiar with a vast expanse of different cultures, politics, and ways of life. What I love here is that almost any Hamilton student can walk into the dining hall alone and within minutes find friends or someone that they known to sit down and eat with. Different social groups interact and Hamilton students typically don't fit only one mold: a varsity athlete can also be a successful math major who participates in volunteer work on campus. Students are remarkably diverse in their own interests and activities.

In many way, yes they are. Students tend to come from very affluent families and the majority of students do reside somewhere in the northeast.

Hamilton is extremely academcially rigorous. The intimacy of the small student population enables students to personally get to know their professors and vise versa. I love that my professors know my name and I am totally comfortable just stopping by to chat or get coffee with my favorite professors. Students here are competitive with themselves, not one another; they take pride in their work, and understand the value of the top-rate education that they are receiving. Professors teach all classes at Hamilton, which gives students a unique and wonderfully valuable chance to learn as much as possible from people in the field with the highest degrees (all of my psychology professors have a PhD).

It is almost impossible not to get involved in something on campus. The expanse of clubs, sports, volunteer options, activities, committees, etc. is seemingly endless.

Hamilton students have the reputation of being intellectually aware and dedicated, while still knowing how to have fun. This student body is often stereotyped as being all-White, upper-class, and from either Westchester, NY or the greater Boston area.

Bessie

1. No--it's just a different experience from an enormous IV League school. 2. Yes--I had no idea people of such a high economic status existed outside of television and cinema. However, there are several down-to-earth rich white kids, non-preppy rich white kids, a few not-rich white kids, and even a few non-white kids. There's a variety, one just needs to know where to look for it. 3. Not Exactly--Kids at Hamilton definitely drink more than kids at other schools, but it's a safer environment for it--few drink and drive because there's no where to go, and the place is crawling with EMTs and campus police in case of emergency.

1. That Hamilton is a safety school. 2. That Hamilton is full of preppy white kids. 3. That Hamilton students are alcoholics.

annie

We are a close knit community but a little bit divided by which side of campus you're on. The alums are great at giving back to the school and helping students. I think most of the study abroad options are great as Clinton, NY is going to be VERY boring if you stay here all 4 years. I love the dark side of campus for its diverse, multicultural artsy feel but also appreciate the light "siders" who bring to this campus their own style which is predom. preppy.

On one side of campus ( light side), yes.

Preppy rich white, J crew/Uggs ppl who love Keystone beer

Katherine

Hamilton is definitely a school that exists in a bubble. Clinton is an idyllic little town, and probably doing a lot better than most other places in rural New York thanks to Hamilton kids with money to spend, while half an hour away, Utica's ready to just roll over and die. Also, because of the bubble, Hamilton gets a very sheltered/isolated feel to it once in a while. Sometimes this bothers people, other times people don't really notice or mind. On the flip side, because of this isolated/bubble feeling, the college community itself is pretty close-knit. The lunch ladies recognize you and ask how you're doing, faces begin to look familiar after the first couple weeks, you spend time outside of class just hanging out with your professor, and you just generally feel "at home."

Hamilton is a pretty liberal atmosphere politically, though for a "liberal arts" college it's really quite conservative and traditional. Hamilton is also still a primarily white school, though they're trying to change that and (I think) doing a pretty good job of it so far. Intolerance is generally frowned upon, both by the administration and by the students--people make fun of racists more than they make racist jokes.

Academics at Hamilton depend very much on the student. Some kids are here because it has a reputation as a good school and they want to be challenged and be stimulated. Other kids are here because of daddy's legacy and so spend a lot of time partying. If Hamilton has a reputation for anything, it's the lack of core requirements. That was what got me to look at the school to begin with, and I have to say that I really do like it. People will generally take a wide variety of classes even without specific guidelines. I've taken comp sci, music theory, French, Russian, Swedish, women's studies, math, art history, and environmental studies classes, in addition to my core requirements for Creative Writing and Philosophy. Looking back, I do wish I had taken a science course or two, but even then that part of my intellectual development hasn't been neglected. I spend my summers talking about caves and speleothems and geology, so I've been reading up on that off-and-on for the past four years, plus I love reading about science (cognitive science especially). I have pretty heady conversations with my friends, as well. I think most of the kids who are here (not all, on account of the "daddy's legacy" kids) are smart and intellectual, on some level. Sometimes they participate in stupid stereotypes that discourages "bookishness" but it's still there, and I think you could have an intelligent, academic conversation with nearly anyone you run across. Some classes are "gimmes," to be sure, but many of them are interesting and challenging to a good point--not to where you're terrified of failing, but where you're excited about learning.

There are lots of speakers to attend, lots of concerts to go to, some good plays to say, and generally at least one bumping all-campus party every weekend, usually two. Greek life is kind of downplayed here--I see them merely as organizations that hold parties. None of my friends are in a frat or sorority and I don't think I'm missing out on anything by not being in one. Drinking is commonplace but I don't think it's essential. No one thinks too much of it if you don't have anything to drink at a party. For example, on a Friday I can do a power hour (which amounts to six drinks in an hour), go out to The Little Pub and have another pint, and then take a loud rowdy Glen Walk with my friends. The next night we can walk into town, keep it low-key (just one or two drinks), walk back up the hill, check out a birthday party and maybe have a glass of wine. Both are great fun, and both have vastly different attitudes towards alcohol consumption. FebFest--the annual winter carnival--can be kind of dorky but sometimes it's a lot of fun, like the Chocolate Tasting or the Pizza Wars (all the pizza you can eat! for free!). Class and Charter Day is simply epic. And Senior Week is all about college-sponsored boozing. Thanks, Joanie! But the majority of my social life is spent strictly with my friends. I don't like to go to parties alone, because encountering random strangers isn't something I think is fun at all.

There's "the Dark Side" and "the Light Side" that's pretty clear, thanks to dated architecture of Kirkland college. But I've heard that non-Hamilton kids think of it as a "pot side" and a "coke side," so there you go. Frankly, I think that Hamilton is such an unheard of school--even though it's a good one--that no one really has misconceptions or stereotypes about it.

Hamilton College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.