Clinton, NY
Hamilton College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hamilton College

Ryan

I love Hamilton, it's been one of the best experiences of my life. The opportunities here rival anything any other school can possibly offer. The resources and support students recieve here is amazing compared to what other schools offer. When Hamilton says anything is possible. They mean it, they'll support you in any way they can. Students are smart, masters at procrastination, but ultimately we write better and speak better than alot of kids I've met from the Ivy's and other top 20 liberal arts colleges. And the Alumni are an amazing committed group of individuals.

We are awesome. There isnt alot of clumping on campus and I think thats in large part due to the size of the school.

Anyone would be lucky to go here, but you have to be a self starter and intellectually curious. You can't sit back and let others dictate; Its a place for innovators, gutsy, talented individuals.

Mostly bull, there is a fair amount of prep, but its a small minority thats super prep. There is alot of diversity in the student body, especially with the Darkside of Campus. Oh and multi-cultural recruitment is increasing every year.

Classes are small and personable. The professors are very friendly and open to discussion.

Weekly parties, the pub and alot of campus sponsored activities. Does not necessitate drinking as many may assume.

Alex

The big thing about Hamilton is that you are really independent and they respect that. You make your own decisions bout classes (no curriculum), what activities you can and and basically you can chose whether to drink or not, etc. It's all your choice and through that, I think it makes Hamilton liberal. I hate the fact that it's on the Hill, everyone complains about that. Unless you are fit and pro-torture, it is murder to have to go back to Hamilton through hiking up the Hill. The campus is divided into two parts which actually used to be two schools- the Light side and the Dark Side. The Light Side is more preferred since it's near everything, but the Darkside is more notorious for its waffle ceiling, extremely bland cement buildings and with every building on the Dark Side known for its problems while it's the opposite for the Light side. Oh, and by the time you start classes here, the Honor Code will be seared into your brain. They make you feel like you will get the death sentence if you EVER think of cheating. There is no "college town." The town mostly consists of bars and pizza places and not very good ones at that. There is the notorious China Sea Restaurant, the only Chinese restaurant in tow that is so greasy and bad that it's constantly empty. Therefore, the campus life is boring and off-campus life as far as the town is boring. You have to go far to get to some good malls. When I said I ways going to Hamilton (since I'm from Los Angeles, CA), besides my friends wondering where the hell and what the hell Hamilton was, they thought I was going to develop a New York accent, haveso much more fun than them (since they stayed in LA in public Colleges) and thought I would get a better education and job opportunities. They were ignorant for the most part. I don't have a New York accent, my intelligence is at par with most people at my year and I am SO not having that much fun here.

From what I hear, Bundy Dorm Hall is the Ephitamy of the whole Hamilton drinks too much mentality. Do not ever go to Bundy sober, especially druing parties. That is party central and I don't ever want to step foot on that place based on the stories I hear about it. Even though I hear the parties are fun, I have a feeling sober people like me may not have fun.

It's half true but that's because I tend to pay attention to things that don't conform to stereotypes and conformities. I know there are minorities, working class people, unhealthy people. I believe the drinking is true but I know there are lots of sober people. It's more like I refuse to believe it because even though there are few exceptions to the stereotypes, they are there.

Even if you don't participate, the profs still know your name, which is cool. I feel like on the outside, it seems like students are not competitive, but based on the stereotype that students here study too much, there may be some truth to that. But no one here is shoving their grades in your face or anything. They keep they're accomplishments to themselves for the most part. But in secret, they probably are competitive. I love the no core curriculum cause I thought I was going to major in Government for sure, but I found out that I hated Government classes, so now I'm undecided. I can take whatever I want and explore. Sure they have like writing requirements, but that can be filled with almost any type of class. The most unique class I've heard and really want to take is Food for Thought. It's not exactly a unique class, but a class that talks about the effects of food and diet on society and why America why be so fat, with food samplings and movies, sounds like a great class to me. I'd love to take it. I think students have WAY too many intelligent conversations in this school. It does make me feel good cause I like challenges, casual debates and intellectual conversations. In terms of careers, I can't think that my Hamilton education is geared towards career yet. I just want to find something I like.

That people here are white, rich, study way too much, drink too much, are extraordinarily bored with campus life, lead very healthy lives (eating healthy and exercise), care a lot about body image, spend too much, are partial hypocrites when it comes to the environment, think that because they pay 46+k for college, they can use as much stuff as they want; have gone to very good schools (no matter what type: public, private, etc.), that a lot of people have gone to boarding or private schools, that if you don't drink, you are not fun, grammar freaks.

Lily

I love that Hamilton is a small community where everyone can get to know each other really well. I have met some of my closest friends here. The academic climate is really challenging, but not so competitive in terms of students racing to get the top grade in the class. It's all just about learning new things and being part of a rigorous atmosphere. On campus, I like to spend a lot of time studying in the Science Center- a nice, tranquil building with a good study environment.

A passive student would feel awkward at Hamilton. On campus, everyone is involved in some extracurricular activity and is making a difference somehow. People who are idle will not do well here.

These stereotypes are somewhat accurate. There are a lot of students that come from the New England area, but granted a lot of international students are represented at Hamilton. 70% of students come from outside New York State. The stereotype only becomes a problem if you make it a problem. Yes, rich people go here, but so is true for about every other private New England school.

Professors know my name and pass me a few times every day. I once received advice on a paper from my psychology professor while I was working out at the gym! The teachers definitely go above and beyond their normal teaching hours to help a student excel. For example, one of the best classes I am taking now (Philosophy at the Intro level), I have been able to meet personally with my professor numerous times about papers and he has been really helpful. People work hard here to do well, studying often well into the night during the weekdays, but always are able to balance it out with their social lives. The great thing about Hamilton is that there is an open-curriculum--no core requirements--so people take classes because they WANT to.

The fraternities and sororities on campus are popular for throwing good parties and hosting philanthropic fundraisers. I am pledging currently for a sorority on campus and it has been a lot of fun. The dating scene at Hamilton is pretty nonexistent as from what I can tell; it consists of hooking up or "attached-at-the-hip" relationships, but no traditional dating! At 2AM on a Tuesday, if I'm awake I'm probably studying or watching TV haha. People party a good amount here, starting from Thursday or Wednesday till Sunday, but that is always balanced out by class work.

A lot of people critique the school for its lack of diversity; many of the students come from Westchester County, NY or Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and the New England area. People also say that many wealthy, affluent kids come here, such as Glenn Close's daughter, etc.

Amina

the school is the right size. i wanted a small school and this is exaclty what it is. i do wish that there were more good restaurants nearby. one thing that i would change about hamilton is probably the weather and maybe the fact that it wasnt on a hill.

not really. ive met many students who are on aid and scholarships and also i myself am not white. there are minorities and international students on campus as well

hamilton is said to be a preppy school for rich white kids.

Zach

I guess the thing I love about Hamilton is it's size, it's not that much bigger than my high school. Because of this, the professors are able to give one-on-one support to the students when they need it which is very helpful given how intense some of the courses are.

The student body is a lot more diverse than people might think, given Hamilton's profile as a highly selective, small liberal arts college. Generally, everyone seems to be accepting. I haven't run into too much problems socially, but there is definitely the drama that goes hand in hand with having such a small campus.

Students are definitely competitive, but we're not all English majors.

Professors definitely know each student by name, and they all know what they're teaching very well. Some have a few strange teaching styles, but they offer their help whenever they can. They really want to see every student succeed in their courses.

Most of the students at Hamilton play some kind of sport, whether it's varsity, club, or intramural. There's always something social to do on campus, which is good since there isn't much to do in Clinton and it isn't always easy to get into New Hartford or Utica to do things.

Hamilton students are considered very competitive by everyone who I've talked to back home. They all also think that we're all English majors, since Hamilton is known as an institution that focuses on writing.

Charlie

THe size is just right. All my professor know me personally, yet i meet new students every day. While most people from Euegene Oregon, my hometown, have only briefly heard of Hamilton, they have heard of it for good reasons. Our varsity streaking team is very near and dear to our hearts. Some of the major actions of the administration could be more transparent, but i have had many meetings with our presidents and other v.p.s to discuss personal projects.

While a passing glance might make you seem that they are, the truth of the matter is that the Hamilton College stereotypes are not even skin deep, but merely clothes deep. At Hamilton if you choose to not let stereotypes define your social scene you will be blessed with an array of extremely diverse friends.

There are many stereotypes revolving around the two sides of campus. North campus, commonly called "the light side" has aquired the stereotype of preppy greek life. South campus, or "the dark side," is stereotypically full of granola crunching hippies. For the school itself the North cmapus stereotype has become more and more salient, making the school appear to be full of J. Crew clad alcoholics.

Alexandra

The best thing about Hamilton are the really good teachers. Not all are good but when you get a good one they are great. You get very very personalized attention. If I could change anything, it would be the location. The weather is very depressing and makes kids unhappy sometimes. I think the school is really the perfect size. I would not want any of my classes being any bigger. When I tell people I go to Hamilton, they think I am very smart and react by saying "Oh that is such a good school, you must love it." I spend most of my time either in my suite, at the gym or in the science center. I think Hamilton is really a great school and the personal attention I get makes it really worth it. The biggest problem in my opinion is the weather. It makes you want to stay in doors and honestly sometimes drink too much.

I think that because the school is so small there are cliques and groups and that people are differentiated in that way.

We work hard and play hard!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, my professors definitely know my name. My favorite class was organic chemistry. I know that most people in college hate this class because it is really really hard, but my professor was so amazing and brilliant that it made the class awesome. My least favorite class was my intro. bio course. There were too many people and I felt like there was not enough personal attention. Most classes though I feel give you that attention you should get at a small school. Students study very regularly here. Class participation is always present. Yes, we have very intellectual conversations outside of class. I think that Hamilton asks a lot out of its kids but we are all very smart and almost all get the grades and get their work done.

There are a million great things that people do and a million clubs, sports organizations. It is really great. You can pretty much do whatever you want.

Hamilton is very very preppy. People think that students at Hamilton drink all the time because of the weather. Kids are all rich white kids living off of daddy's money.

Cassie

Big-picture-wise: I absolutely love Hamilton. We are such a small, tight knight community with a lot of strengths. We are located in a small village (Clinton) so we usually cling to each other for our social lives. We are definitely not a "suitcase school" where the campus is deserted on the weekends. I always feel like I miss out on so much if I have to leave for a few days, especially for sports. I have made relationships with people and faculty members which I know I will maintain after graduation. The environment is very rewarding if you choose to put effort into it. There is a lot of school pride, but not necessarily for all of the sports teams. If I could, I would change the amount of snow we receive in upstate New York, but I would not change anything else.

Most students were sweatpants, jeans, and t-shirts to class. It's a very casual campus, but there are a bunch of students who like to be dressy most of the time. Students are very active; if you aren't on a varsity sports team, you're probably on an IM team with your dorm floor, or a frequenter at the gym, or someone who likes to run through the Glen a few times a week. Most students are from the East coast, and it's typical for racial groups to clump together. However, I still don't feel like there is a student who could feel out of place at Hamilton. Anyone would be able to feel a connection to someone, because differing opinions are welcomed greatly, that's what makes the community so vibrant.

Overall, Hamilton College is a vibrant, engaging community with active, motivated students.

There is a large amount of white, middle-upper class, preppy students from the North East, but I have had no problem finding interesting, intelligent, genuine people at Hamilton.

I have never had a class at Hamilton where a professor did not know my name, what I did on campus, how I was doing in class, and where I was from. Students studied a lot during the week, and party hard on the weekends. I spend a large amount of time with professors outside of class because they are so easily accessible. The department for my major is a very small one, but all of the professors are loving, accommodating, and selfless. Hamilton's lack of core requirements was what initially drew me to the school. It allows for such academic freedom and creates such engaging learning environments in your classes where students are there because they want to be, not because they are fulfilling some requirement. Most learning at Hamilton requires you to be independent and self-motivating, which helps prepare you for the real world. Class participation is almost always required, with the exception of a few lecture classes. It's also really common to hear students continuing class discussions after class.

I met my closest friends from my Adirondack Adventure trip during pre-orientation and in the dorms my freshman year. It's really easy to meet people though, as long as you put yourself out there in extracurricular activities. Most students leave their doors open so when you're walking by you stop in and say hello. Overall, students stay up really late on campus, which is why Cape Opus is open late for caffeine fixes. It's common to see people watching TV shows or movies until early in the morning or pulling all-nighters in the Science Center. People party two or three nights a week usually. Fraternities and sororities have a presence on campus because a third of the student body is involved with one. They don't have a great reputation, but I think we have the best of both worlds at Hamilton because we have them for people who are interested, but they are not isolated in their own dorms on campus. If you don't want to go Greek, you don't have to. When I was looking at colleges, I specifically sought on campuses without Greek life, but ended up falling in love with a sorority at Hamilton and joining anyways!

Hamilton is stereotypically a small, prestigious liberal arts school with a large population of white, middle-upper class, preppy students from the North East who spend a lot of time drinking alcohol.

Tiffany

I don't like it here at Hamilton. If I could change one thing, it would something to stimulate cross cultural dialogue between students of different social classes and races

The student body is not diverse enough

They are amazing! I really feel like I am getting an excellent education

Hamilton College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.