Hamilton College

« See more reviews of Hamilton College

Personally, I can't imagine anyone feeling left out of Hamilton's community simply because I love it so much and I've enjoyed my experience there thoroughly. However, if you do not like small communities in small towns where the main events happen on campus (ie: acoustic coffee house, Greek parties, club parties) and there isn't much to do in the surrounding area, I can see how someone might feel suffocated. Also, it is very cold in the winter. Brutally cold.

Hamilton has a reputation for being full of preps and jocks, but there really is no cookie cutter Hamilton student. We have preps, jocks, hipsters, hippies--the whole spectrum. Honestly, I don't think you can put most students cleanly into one category. We have a great community feel at Hamilton, and it is a terrific group of people.

Most of Hamilton's students come from the norther East coast, so the population here is mostly white. However, the administration has been trying to increase the diversity of the campus. They are making slow but steady progress. Although there are many exceptions to this, the majority of racial students stay together.

Hamilton student body may seem pretty homogeneous, but I challenge people with that stereotype to look closer. I am of the opinion that if one gets to really know students they will find diversity in all kinds of unexpected ways. It just takes some digging.

25% are people who take classes super seriously, 60% take them seriously, 10% take them sort of seriously, and 5% who are here only because Mommy and Daddy are paying for it and their social status says they should have a good named school on their resume.

WASP, cliquey, money money money. I know when a jcrew catalogue is released because they are in 80% of the girls' mailboxes, furthermore 10 business days later I see the jcrew packages all over the place. Preppy.

There is diversity here and I think most students her feels comfortable being whoever they are. Hamilton students are very relaxed and don't particularly care if an individual is different from the "mainstream".

NY, MA, CT! and one representative from every other state and a smattering of countries so admissions can say we are diverse. Good mix of political views although republicans tend to be quieter.

Hamilton students are open minded, welcoming and accepting of others views. It is a true community of learners and thinkers. Though, students here are still able to have some fun.

The Hamilton campus fosters a true sense of community in which literally every single person will be open and accepting in every aspect of college.