Hamilton College

« See more reviews of Hamilton College

While there is still not a great deal of racial or religious diversity on Hamiton's campus, I have come to be familiar with a vast expanse of different cultures, politics, and ways of life. What I love here is that almost any Hamilton student can walk into the dining hall alone and within minutes find friends or someone that they known to sit down and eat with. Different social groups interact and Hamilton students typically don't fit only one mold: a varsity athlete can also be a successful math major who participates in volunteer work on campus. Students are remarkably diverse in their own interests and activities.

I think kids that don't have alot of money could potentially feel awkward, depending on their crowd. I think minority students could, and probably do, feel uncomfortable in a classroom setting because they will frequently be one of the few or the only one in the class. Most Hamilton students are from the Northeast, especially Boston and Westchester County. Students are generally passively liberal, but pretty apathetic. At the STAND Against Genocide Meetings, we are lucky to have 5 kids. Most students are fairly wealthy, but in certain social groups it's cooler to pretend like they don't have money.

I have had very little experience with racial or LGBT groups on campus except for receiving tons of emails from them. I really haven't noticed if they have done much on campus but they are very vocal and like to make a lot of noise and "raise awareness". Different types of students interact but rarely will you see different types of students just hanging out. Everyone here is from the north east, usually "Boston" meaning anywhere in Massachusetts or somewhere in upstate New York. Most students are wealthy and right wing, but some claim to be left, most of these people are actually right.

The Hamilton student body is divided into two groups. There are the "Dark Siders" and the "Light Siders." Light Siders are the preppy kids - popped polos and a new lexus. Dark Siders are the crunchy kids - dreads and potheads. These are obviously stereotypes and I don't actually think there are ONLY two sides to this campus, but it is a common perception that more than a few people prescribe to. You can "choose" which of those groups you want to identify with by where you live on campus and might even participate in a little Dark-Side/Light-Side rivalry from time to time.

Hamilton students are good looking. there are all types of kids here, i dont really know who would feel out of place, perhaps quiet people. The tables in the dining hall just have students at them, everyone mingles so theres not really a lot of cliqueiness. a lot of students are from NY, MA, NJ, CT and lots of other places. most prevalent financial background, i mean, lots of rick kids, but, about 60 percent recieve financial aid..so its varied. the politics are all over, all kinds come here. if you are willing to talk to people, you will find sincere, kind friends.

The student body is diverse, and getting more so each year. There is a definite preppy side of campus, but also a more hippie side too. Students wear everything from business attire to pajamas to class. Different types of students definitely interact, and that is a result of the small size of the school and close nit community. Most Hamilton students are from the north east, but there are students from all over the United States and 30 odd countries, with diversity increasing each year. Students are politically aware, and there is a good divide of opinions on campus.

Hamilton is a pretty diverse place, especially in ways that don't necessarily show up on the traditional diversity measurements. There's groups for every perspective that you can imagine on campus, and a place where pretty much everyone could feel comfortable. Even people who grew up in big cities come to feel at home here, although the transition to a more rural area can be something of a culture shock. The diverse attitudes of the student body is reflected in what they wear and do at Hamilton - I've seen people in kilts, dresses, suits, t-shirts, and jerseys.

As Hamilton students, no matter how diverse our backgrounds are, there is one common thread: we all expect to make a bunch of money someday. Since a majority of the students come from money, (how else could people pay $50,000 dollars a year at a school that doesn't offer scholarships?), many feel it's their birthright to graduate, become investment bankers or advertising executives, and make enough money buy a place on Nantucket. It sounds bad, but when everyone around you is driven to succeed, you can't help but want to succeed yourself.

Although diversity is small, there is large acceptance of minority and gay students- and there are definitely groups to join dedicated to promoting them. This is not a school where people wear pajamas to class, at all. Winter is North face, Uggs, expensive jeans. Summer is J Crew sundresses- but once again, no one is a snob about it. Most of the students are from Boston, Westchester, Connecticut, or New Jersey, but I know a few people from the West and South too. Politically activity is moderate at best, and people are pretty liberal.

not a lot of racial diversity given the amount of students who attend hamilton, but it seems to have gotten better recently. i know it sounds harsh, but those from a lower income bracket would be most likely to feel out of place at hamilton because everybody and their mother is descended from corporate execs and old money. the campus has a noticeable division between the old Hamilton campus and the more recent Kirkland campus: pop-collared jocks flock to the light side, liberal pot-smoking hippies tend to prefer the dark side.