Hamilton College

« See more reviews of Hamilton College

Hamilton has its conservatives and liberals, democrats and republications, Christians and atheists, varsity sports teams and debate teams, and many others, one of the best parts of Hamilton is that you can join all of them and no one will judge you. Hamilton is a very open tolerant community. Most of the students are from New England. The typical student will wear jeans and a sweater or sweatshirt to class.

A student from very poor urban areas might feel out of place. The overall affluence of the student body is very real and sometimes in your face, but people in general are very accepting and open to meeting new people. Whether the students are politically/socially/environmentally/etc aware depends greatly on the student. Some kids live deeply in the bubble, others are much more street smart and aware.

Most Hamilton students are white, pretty wealthy, and from the northeastern states. Though, there are students from all over the country, the world. I think these students bring a lot to the campus, they have different experiences in life and it shows the other students that not everyone is the same. These students have formed many differnet groups and clubs on campus to share their diversity.

You'll fit right in if you're used to being social, if you're leaning toward liberal, and you can deal with a certain amount of bullshit that seems to be present on the campus. Most transfers, however, just don't fit into the social scene, for whatever reason. If you can't deal with being a sober kid at a college full of people who like getting drunk on the weekend, don't come here.

If you're white, you can surround yourself with a pretty uniform group of strait, white people because they outnumber everybody else. But if you want to have a diverse experience it is more than possible. There are people of every race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic background and anything else you can think of, and they are often nicer than the strait white folks.

I'd have to say literally no student would feel out of place at Hamilton. The dark side is a group of more artistic creative students and the light side is filled with jocks, math and science majors. There are a lot of so called "preppy" kids but there is a unique balance. Every student here is unique and has some quality to bring to the campus.

The student body is a lot more diverse than people might think, given Hamilton's profile as a highly selective, small liberal arts college. Generally, everyone seems to be accepting. I haven't run into too much problems socially, but there is definitely the drama that goes hand in hand with having such a small campus.

Most of the girls are kind of dumb and have little personality, but there are some out there who are really good kids. Minorities keep to themselves a lot, and gays are proud. I lived with a lesbian this year, and she was not afraid to show it. I love that about Hamilton. theres a suprising mix of right and lefters.

Hamilton's student body is pretty diverse. Most students might look the same, but there are organizations for everyone. The campus has a more politically liberal feel, but there are definitely conservatives. Campus organizaitons--like Christian Fellowship, Hillel, or Rainbow Alliance--are welcoming and inclusive.

Sometimes the rich kids on campus do not realize that other people in the world aren't as fortunate as they are. If a person comes to Hamilton, they have to be ready for some ignorant people, but for the most part... Hamilton is great with really accepting, creative people.