Hamline University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Hamline University

Danielle

One of the cutest campuses I toured, very much like a college. In general the campus is safe, but it is in an urban setting. The location is pretty central and it's pretty easy to get to anywhere in the twin cities. Within close proximity there are a few good restaurants and everything under the sun within a 5 mile radius. Very liberal campus with a big focus on extracurricular activities and academics. Pretty small class sizes depending on the subject and teacher, most are discussion or seminar style.

Kasilin

Overall the school is a good school to attend. The tuition is a little bit excessive but we do get a good education that can help open up doors for us in the future. Most of the facilities on campus are wonderful, my favorite is the security office. They make my life seem much more safe and I know I have a friend in them.

Abberamee

Hamline is a place that welcomes different viewpoints and opinions. Although the buildings may be old and the tuition is super high, the small class sizes, kind and understanding professors, work opportunities and quiet atmosphere allows one to thrive. I love that I can approach any professor during my availabilty to ask any questions. I also love J-term, where I can take up to 5 credits during the month of January which allows to me finish my Hamline Plan required courses without stressing myself out during the school term.

Allaskah

Hamline is a wonderful school, and gives a great education! The professors are very involved and always available for questions! There is a tutor for every subject, and a student organization to go along with it. They have a great catalyst program for spring break, where students can give back to the community. Finally, they partner with the elementary school across the street and provide on campus jobs for students (especially those wanting to go into education) as tutors and class helpers at the elementary school!

Nyjah

Hamline is the best accident that has ever happened to me. At hamline you'll never feel alone because of the inclusiveness of the school. No matter what you believe or look like you're welcomed here. There are many opportunities for success here and professors to help you get to the next step.

Andrew

I've been going to Hamline for 2 months know and they have been some of the best months of my life. I love being surrounded by a culture of academically inclined students. I feel comfortable and safe enough to express myself and my gender identity in the environment at Hamline. Some spaces in the school are getting kinda old, but the education being provided to me is top of the line.

Christian

Hamline is a college that people go to for the education and while there are many activities on-campus the food needs improvement, the area doesn't have much going on so on the weekend most students will leave campus turning Hamline into a ghost-town. Hamline does have wonderful faculty, since most of the classes have a small amount of students most professors will know the students by name and have office hours. I think Hamline University is a good university with some flaws but that is something that is to be expected of most post-secondary schools.

Nazeer

My overall opinion of Hamline University is that it is a very diverse campus with a great deal of support from the administrators, the sports staff, and the upperclassman. It is truly a place where opportunities are everywhere and we make sure our environment is inclusive in every way possible. I truly enjoy my school and would recommend it to anyone looking to attend.

Vlad

I think it looks like a safe and happy place to be, full of students who want to learn not for a degree but because they want to learn. True learners as my mother would say. The teachers replicate and support this ideal making a campus that people who learn and enjoy school are not the minority, but the majority.

I love Hamline. It's a very small, fairly quiet school that is perfect for people who want to take advantage of their chance to learn as much as possible while pursuing their college education. The student body tends to be fairly academically focused but we still have a lot of fun. This is not a big party school, but there are always low-key hang outs happening. The social scene is very casual but still very fun. The professors are very knowledgeable and accessible. As a psychology major I have been extremely impressed by the fact that so many of our professors are so well-established in the field that work from our faculty members is included in lectures as new ground-breaking work in the field. The school as a whole has a very welcoming, warm, and intelligent feel to it, and I highly recommend Hamline University.

Jada

It's a relatively solid school in a lively area. Academics are well-known in state and there's actually a surprising amount of attention dedicated to a variety of fields f study. It's also within a broader network of schools in the area, so that further broadens the areas of study. Facilities, food, and clubs are all very good too. Overall, a slightly above average liberal arts university with a variety of studies. A lot of care for the arts too, if that is a concern or interest of your's.

Ania

It's an extraordinary school. Hamline is meant for anyone who would like a great liberal arts education within a city. I studied political science and global studies and french, and got the opportunity to study abroad while at Hamline. I think this school is welcoming to everyone.

Corrin

I think Hamline is a very well respected school that has very knowledgable professors with mainly small class sizes. A good fit for someone who is serious about school and prefers discussion based learning. Location is great because it is close to both cities for volunteer or job opportunities.

Sophie

It's a very accepting and diverse campus. There is lots of fun to be found, and the academic possibilities are endless! With over 50 majors, even if you're undecided, there are a ton of different ideas and careers available! Everyone is there to help, no matter how difficult your situation might be!

Brenda

Hamline University is a great college if you prefer a small campus with small classroom size, lots of in-class open discussion, free speech, and easy accessibility to sources outside of the campus. One pro that I love about Hamline is how united the campus is. There are daily activities and events that goes on throughout the weeks, most of which are organized by the students and for the students. The professors are wonderful, friendly, encouraging, and come from a diverse range of backgrounds. This calls to mind the biggest attribute that Hamline possesses; Diversity! Although Hamline may be a small campus it is one of the most diverse place, bringing together many backgrounds, groups, viewpoints, knowledge, ideas, and so much more. The people I have met here have been so eye-opening and inspiring and every year has been a learning experience both intellectually and mentally.

Christopher

Everyday you can learn something different, from different walks of life. It's always nice to talk to someone new and to be part of a community that is heavily focused on getting others aware of what is going on currently in today's society. While offering somewhat affordable financial aid.

Sammie

I am a transfer student from a school of about 20,000. At first, I was skeptical that Hamline University was the place for me. However the more that I learned about the school, professors, and students, I learned that this place is 100% aimed at undergraduate education. I have learned so much from my first year here. I appreciate the accessibility of the faculty and professors and their excitement to make sure that you understand what you're learning. The biology department does a fantastic job of integrating group work with lectures to make learning more hands on in the classroom. The HIPAL program provides fantastic resources to prepare students for graduate schools and careers. In addition, the Honors College provides interdisciplinary discussions that keep students informed about important things happening outside your major and personal interests. There are so many activities, it can be challenging to attend everything you want to, but that just means theres something for everyone to be able to try.

Erin

It's a small, well-managed community with plenty of activities for a variety of different interests. The academics are very well managed, the teachers are helpful, and there are multiple locations to get tutoring help with book work, papers, and understanding the class.

Caitlin

Hamline is a very accepting school.Everyone is welcome. There is something for everyone. It is like one big family at Hamline, everyone knows everyone. The academics are strong and professors are always willing to help. They are even known to respond to emails on the weekends. Everyone here wants you to succeed and will help do what they can to play a part in your success.

Yee

I wish it'd be more financially affordable for me as it is out of my price range for my family, with my brother also going to college with a net price about roughly the same. My professors so far has been great! Definitely always available for whenever I need help. They're very engaging, and eager to make sure that we are doing what we have to do to pass the class. It's a plus so far!!

Chloe

It’s a really great and safe place for you to learn and get to meet people and have fun. There are always fun things to do and nice people to meet or if you are looking for a quieter place to just study or work they have that too, overall Hamline is the perfect combination of what you want.

Hamline

I am a commuter student so I have a different experience with Hamline than most people. The food isn't the best and, since we're in St. Paul the campus isn't necessarily the safest (I've been catcalled just walking down the street). The classes are great, however, and all of the professors are extremely helpful.

Savanna

They really strive to be inclusive (race, religion, political affiliation) and they are good about keeping class sizes small, so you really get to know your professors. The small campus allows for more involvement and they really push to make connections with alumni, which can very helpful in finding jobs after graduation or finding internships. With all these upsides to Hamline the biggest complaint I have is the cost and the lack of options I've received form the financial aid office.

Ja'Vierre

Hamline is a great school to attend. The professors and staff are willing to take time out of their day to make sure your needs are fulfilled. Hamline being close to the Twin Cities creates for a lot of adventures and sight seeing for those who like adrenaline rushes. Hamlines athletic department is really great as well.

Maren

Hamline is a wonderful place to call home. As someone living with mental illness, Hamline provides an abundance of resources for people like me. They have been nothing but supportive and helpful, and have done everything in their power to ensure that I have an equal opportunity to learn.

Winfrey

Overall, my opinion of Hamline Univerisity is that this college is here to uplift students to do the beyond and go the distance in a local open city community environment. I’m looking forward to being a part of the friendly atmosphere and be able to bring my own quirks and qualities to diverse groups.

Daniel

Hamline is an amazingly diverse campus. It has a great Creative Writing program, and has sports, but that doesn't mean much to me. We are politically diverse, but that doesn’t mean our discussions turn into shouting matches.We care about everybody, and although it’s quite expensive, it is well worth it. They reward you with great scholarships if you can make the grades to make the school affordable. There are many clubs and groups to join all around campus, and plenty of housing on and off. I personally live a short fifteen minute walk from campus in a rather sketchy neighborhood, but I often see security patrolling around my neighborhood as well. I have only been in the dorms once, but they seemed decent enough, although one of them can be quite hot. Could do with a few air conditioning renovations, but since the school has been around longer than Minnesota has been a state, one can’t complain. The City of St. Paul where the school is has countless great places for dining. Just by me there is a great Thai place, Vietnamese, a place to get a good gyro and fries for under six dollars, and so many other hidden gems I am working on discovering. They have a cafeteria at the school, but as I haven’t used it much, I don’t have much to say about it. Although it is pretty easy to sneak an ice cream cone without paying if you go with one of your friends who has a meal plan. Hamline is a great school with a long history. If you got the money or grades to go, you won’t be disappointed.

Sabrina

I am currently a first year at Hamline University. Despite being a new kid on the block, I already feel like a part of the community. The student leadership is kind, accepting, and helpful. The staff and faculty are well versed in their subjects and always have an open door. The campus is lovely, but not in the greatest location. Though financial aid is very helpful, the price tag is pretty high. Some extra fees are pretty ridiculous.

Allie

I have been extremely disappointed by Hamline University. We pay far too much tuition to receive very little care in return. The President does not care about the students; the Dean of Students doesn't either. Recently, the President and Dean of Students have promoted an openly racist cafeteria worker. When you try to contact them, they do not respond. You are lucky if you finding to working printers on the entire campus. Dorm halls are not cleaned on a regular basis or thoroughly. The professors are sub par; I had far better teachers in high school. I would not suggest Hamline University to anybody. In fact, I would actively help them search to find a different University.

Jakob

The school feels very safe for the most of it . They provide great security around campus and they will travel with you from a mile away from campus. Academics are all great and have stability. Great living spaces on-campus and near. The campus food is below average and can be better.

Kathryn

What drew me to Hamline University was the atmosphere that I felt as soon as I entered the campus. It's inviting and encourages individuality and acceptance. With the smaller class sizes it's easier for everyone to get a chance to talk, and professors encourage participation from everyone. I also really liked how the professors were always willing to talk, and I only had one professor so far who I didn't like their teaching style. Also, they have a Starbucks on campus which was a major plus.

Madison

It is a great school that focuses on academics and getting to know the students well. They are known for sports but what I like most is that they are academics first before sports. They say that you are here for an education first and that you pay to be here. So they make sure that your grades are up to date and that you are not failing any classes. They want everyone to be successful and if you Ate struggling in a class or need help, the professors are always there to help and there are tutors that are willing to help as well. I think it is good that their class sizes are small because then they really focus on the students and get to know and help them more

Emma

Hamline University is a decent school for people with the drive to learn and to participate. There is not much hype about sports or parties, so the focus is mostly on academics and extracurricular clubs and activities. The campus is a very liberal space to participate in and to live. There is a large LGBTQ+ community on campus. Campus is also quite diverse, with a large people of color base and first-generation student base. The campus and its life is small, but it has easy access to outside resources with the bus running directly off of campus and the train really close by.

I enjoy the small campus and the close-nit environment. However, I do not always feel that the facilities like dorms, gym, and lab spaces represent the high tuition. I definitely think some upgrades could be made to make the experience better, but I love my teachers and the connections that I have made.

Caelyn

Overall Hamline University is very diverse, kind, and passionate. I’m able to learn from so many different opinions throughout my education and that’s wonderful. The campus is a comfortable environment, and the faculty and staff and are genuine. They really want to help you reach your goals.

David

I believe that Hamline University and its counterparts are very useable to other students/staff. The classroom sizes are small, and the personal relationship that students can make with professors are quite plentiful. Overall the University is a safe and great place to learn and develop skills that will be necessary for the future.

Jalisa

Hamline University has a very diverse setting, which brings more of a cultured education to Hamline University. In my opinion it's very important to surround yourself with a diverse group of individuals because it gives you a better understanding to different cultures and Hamline does a great job of that.