Amherst, MA
Hampshire College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hampshire College

Alishia

I would advise myself to stick with my commitments and not procrastinate. At the beggining of the year I attented many different clubs, but by the end of the year, I failed to go to the clubs anymore. In the first semester, I socialized too much and thus, reglected my studies. I handed in one of my papers two months late. This was a very bad decision and reflected poorly on my evaluation of the course. I did not go to the clubs I would have liked to because I hung out with my friends to often and could not finish my work, thus I did not have time to go to the clubs. That would be my advice to myself.

The worst thing about Hampshire College is the library, I should know, I work there. It is very un-organized and there is not a very large sellection of books. However, being a part of the five college consortium helps the problem of the limited books because a student can take out a book that is not at Hampshire's library from another one of the five college libraries.

The most frustrating thing about Hampshire College is that every course is discussion-based. This is good for literature courses, but not for math and science courses. I believe there needs to be some element of lecture in the class, otherwise, one is just listening to how the other students feel about the material presented in class.

Danienne

Gateway Community College offered an easy transition for me as a single parent returning to school. Returning to school was a difficult task; however, at Gateway the teachers and organizations provided many forms of support. Gateway gave me the confidence that a degree was an attainable goal for me. Being able to receive free tutoring and easy class scheduling has put me into a fast track for a new career and brighter future.

Josie

It is a small, free-thinking liberal arts school located in the Pioneer Valley. It is part of the pioneer valley's five college consortium. The classes are generally small and group-discussion based. There is a non-traditional grading system where professors write evaluations rather than give traditional grades.

While at Hampshire, I fell in love with learning. I had the freedom to engage with subject matter (psychology, more specifically psychoanalysis) that I was passionate about. I learned how to think and write analytically. I learned how to integrate theory and practice in my writing. Within the field of cognitive psychology, I learned how to conduct psychological research and even designed my own study. I developed skills in writing reflective introspective peices. During my fourth year, I conducted a year-long project called my Division III. The paper was over 100-pages and it provided a complex view of childhood, with reflections on my own childhood, interviews with others about important childhood artifacts, a discussion of the image of the "Romantic child" and psychoanalytic feminist theories. Through this project, I learned a great deal about the revising and editing process. More importantly, through this ambitious project, I really learned how to value my own personal voice. I couldn't have imagined a more fulfilling college experience than I had at Hampshire.

The tuition is the worst thing. My tuition was over $40,000, one of the most expensive schools in the country. I will be paying this off for a long time.

Summer

The one thing I would caution myself against is the overzealous spending of money. I had a job for two years during highschool so I got used to the idea of a steady income. I just assumed that I would easily be able to find a job on or off campus and continue to have money for, oh, the little things like text books, ink cartridges for my printer, and food. The economy and the fact that the area I live in has 5 major colleges, so the job market is flooded with college students and minimum wage part time jobs are a rarity, have proved me wrong and I am struggling on a daily basis to be here. While transitioning first year socially and academically and mentally was difficult, I learned so many valuable lessons that I wouldn't want to deprive myself of during my first year of college. So beyond financial advice, I would probably leave my high school senior self with a pat on the back and a hearty "Good luck! Stay safe!" before travelling somewhere else in time.

The administration of this school is unorganized, poorly run, and cannot properly deem where to allocate funds. Money is wasted on some projects and unavailable for others. A lot of the faculty that are not professors are unfriendly and unhelpful.

Someone who is self-motivated and passionate about...well, something/anything. At Hampshire you just need to be interested in what you're studying and focused and you'll do well. It also really helps if you are good at talking to professors.

Christopher

The best way to find out if a college is right for a student is to find out how the students feels while visiting the college for a short period of time and combine that with how much the college can offer the student in terms of what they want to study. It is a very difficult decision, but descovering whether or not a college feels right can make all of the difference and just because a college is fun does not mean it will help if it does not offer the student what they want to student.

Since my college is both small and new it cannot offer as much finacial aid as other colleges around it. It also has a difficult time offering all of the classes that it would like to and relies a policy with the four other colleges around it for the classes and majors that it does not offer.

A person who is self motivated and can strive to claim what they desire out of their educational experience. Students at my college form there own major and create a contact to accomplish that, therefore it is important for students to go out and get what they want.

Colin

First look for schools which are strong in the area of study in which you are interested (obviously). If you're not sure what you want to study, look for schools that allow you more academic freedom to take many different classes and experience different subjects. I feel that the best of these even allow you to integrate several subjects and create an individual course of study. Small class sizes means it is easier to participate in class and ask questions. Smaller schools allow for greater contact with faculty. Talk to as many students as possible; the students who got there will give you the best picture of the school. Schools which require a lot of independant work and project-based assignments may be weird at first if you're more used to a traditional system of listening to a lecture, studying and taking a test; but there are major advantages to such schools. Independant work forces you to think critically about subjects, be creative and ultimately get a great deal more knowledge and experience out of your education. Bottom line: If you're not happy there you won't be able to learn as much.

Someone who wants to learn more than just what's in the book and who wants to take that knowledge and put it into practice for every class. Someone who can work independantly and be creative with course work and assignments (there is a lot of independant work required and the more you can put into in, the more you will get out of it). Those who has many interests and maybe can't choose just one will be the happiest: you are not restricted by a traditional major; you integrate many subjects into a concentration.

Someone who wants a traditional major that has all the classes they will ever take lined up for all four years. Someone who dosn't want to structure their own course of study. Someone who just wants to get the book, read the book, listen to the professor and take a test at the end of each course.

You know, I and a lot of students I know really didn't know where we wanted to go. I can say that, if you hated highschool, don't choose a college that seems like an extension of highschool. If you need some structure, choose a place that will give you that. Look at what students at the school have said, the resources available through the school and in the area. When you get there, take classes that will challenge you. In my opinion, college is not the time to work the system. Find professors that share your interests. Take classes from them and show that your invested. The more interest and determination you show, the more seriously you'll be taken. Take care of yourself. Pay attention to what you need to do for yourself to do your best. This might mean working late at night. It might mean taking a lot of breaks or exercising on a schedule. Nobody else can really tell you how to do well.

At the time, I wished I knew exactly what I wanted to do, but, looking back, I'm glad I didn't. I figured it out in a timely way and, in doing so, learned a lot of things that have influenced the way I approach my studies.

The worst thing I think is how sick people let themselves get. They just don't take care of themselves. They don't sleep right, eat right, and they self medicate.

Tanya

Visit the school! Spend a night! Talk to the students! Don't make snap judgments! Sit in on classes!

How the small campus would affect my social life.

Freya

To the students: Be selfish. Think only about what you want, and what will make you happy. Don't think about where your friend is going or where your mom went. Think about what kind of setting will make you happy for the next 2-4 years of your life. To parents: Let go. It's hard, I know. But it will be best for us students in the end to be left to our own devices in a place that has a support system already built-in. Let us fail in college first, not at life. When choosing a major, again, be selfish. The only time that I was ever unhappy at school so far was when I was doing things that I didn't love. This is the rest of your life we're talking about, here! If you love doing something, make it what you do. Don't go to business school because it will make you money. Don't settle for that. You know the saying "money can't buy happiness"? Now, do you remember the one that goes "If you are doing what you love, you'll never work a day in your life?" Truth.

Liberal, interested in Theatre, Environmental Sciences or Cognitive Sciences, and must be very open minded.

It is a very small school, so the availability of classes can be tough, but the program of the 5 College Consortium remedies this.

Katrina

creative hippy types who make counter culture music, smoke pot and do unusual academic and artistic projects.

make sure that the cost is not going to break you so that you can enjoy your education without the stress of financial burdens. talk to the students and teachers on the campus, walk around, sit in the cafe's where students hang out, get a feel for the place. check the course listings and see how many of the classes look interesting to you. make sure that the surrounding area is stimulating and pleasing to you, it's hard to enjoy a school if the setting is dull or makes you feel anxious or depressed.

The great teachers and small classes!

Hampshire College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.