Amherst, MA
Hampshire College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hampshire College

Sam

I have found that my most important issues with my school is the range of extra-curricular clubs and activities and the academic structure. One must judge to what extent they can direct their own learning and choose a college with an academic program accordingly. I have also found that participation in extra-curricular clubs has truely helped me connect with my school and find my passions. I would say, find a school with a fitting academic structure and a school with a wide range of clubs and activities.

Lack of diversity, non-acceptance of anything but radical viewpoints.

self-driven, ambitious people who are comfortable with themselves and their viewpoints.

Sam

Take your time finding the right college, there is a college for everyone and its only a matter of time before they find the one they are looking for. I fell in love with Hampshire before i even took the tour but that wont happen to everyone either. just take the process one step at a time and try not to rush for a school without visiting it before or doing some research on it

I wish I knew how expensive it would have been because I did not want to cause my parents as much trouble as paying for Hampshire College has caused them

Someone who is not independant or incapable of fending for themselves because Hampshire demands that its students learn for themselves and expects them to want to learn without the pressure of getting good grades, because there aren't any

Zack

Your personal program of studies is completely developed by you, the student. You form a commity of professors (2 - 3) that work with you on a one to one basis. You write contracts and agreements that one must follow through on.

Definately look at and ivestigate as many schools as possible. Try to find one that fits your academic needs as well as your environmetal and social needs. Visit the school beofre to accept.

Someone who has no self-motivation.

Brittney

Hampshire is very white and upper class. Students of color will find a great group of people of color to support and encourage them here, and there are a lot of white allies, but racism is real and quite pervasive at Hampshire. The location is nice. We're close enough to Boston and NY that people hitch rides to those cities all the time or take the peterpan bus, which comes onto campus to pcik students up. the five college atmosphere is great, it's so wonderful to be able to take advantage of the benefits of five excellent schools, each with it's own personality. People at Hampshire don't come in one style. Sure, there are hippies, there are waaaay more hipsters, some preppy kids, city kids, gamers, students who don't really fit into a category. There are those hampshire students riding the bus without shoes, with big dredlocks, ripped pants and homebrewed Kombucha that every says "that kid goes to hampshire". There are a lot of us, however, that are constantly mistaken for being a UMAss student of a Smith girl, and Amherst kid, or a townie... we are really not at all a school full of one type of person.

87% white. Very privileged overall. But there are lots of us who don't fit into those categories. The valley in general is pretty queer, and Hampshire's no exception. Lots of queer folks, lots of students who don't agree with gender binaries, and this is supported by our institution in certain ways (non gendered bathrooms etc.) but this isn't a place where battles over race and gender have come to some sort of utopian end. The hampshire bubble is a microcosm wherein the realities of power dynamics totally play out and thirve in everyday Hampshrie expereinces. But generally students are willing to fight for what they want be that local food in the dining commons, no coke products on campus, more faculty of color, or more eco-friendly buses.

Hampshire's not easy, but it's rewarding. You'll meet some amazingly intelligent, caring, and crazy folks here. You'll meet a bungh of jerks, too, but that's anywhere. I like Hampshire because I've found a few good people who've totally impacted my life for the better and because my professors beleive in me and have pushed me to do my best. I've wanted to leave at times, many people do, bu tthose who stay and finish an amazing div three are totally prepared for almost anything that could come next. I'm ready for that part.

There's a little trush in most sterotypes. This school is NOT like other colleges. We DO have the power to and responsibility to crete our own courses of study. I chose "creative writing" from that dropdown option, but what I do here isn't just cretive writing. I's studying history and they ways in which the voices that usually go unheard in our society can be creatively nurtured to relate shared histories and create solidarity. That's not exactly the "real world" major most parents want their kids to have... I'm not just in "communications" hoping to get somewhere but unsure of where,. I know exactly what I want to do and who i want to work with. I'm taking control and creating a niche in the world that fits me and that supplies an outlet for a need. That real to me. But there are totally people at EVERY college who'd rather be high than be smart. I think at Hampshire, there are less people who think in such a binary. A lot of people get high. A lot of people are self motivated, self educated, and extremely driven. And more times than not, those people belong to both groups. But not everyone fits into either category. A lot more than half of the students here can afford to and do pay full tuition. there are a LOT of people here with a LOT of money. But that also makes space and opportunity for students who aren't as secure financially to take advantage of the same opportunities. We're not all a bunch of lazy rich kids. I'm not rich, I'm not lazy. Furthermore, this school is NOT camp. It's so funny to hear people say that. I take classes at Amherst and U Mass (we're permitted to take courses at Amherst College, Smith College, Mt. Holyoke College and the University of Mass, as well as Hampshire classes) to take a break from Hampshire academics. Students here think much more critically, take advantage of outside sources of knowledge, and participate in classes WAAAY more than at they other schools I've taken courses at (all but Mt.Holyoke so far). There's more reading here and more writing. We don't take tests, but you are asked to prove yourself intellectually. You have a committee of professors advocating for you and they'll hold you just as accountable as your other professors...if not more. Hampshire's not right for everyone, and the students ready to be actively engaged in their own educations will thrive here. Those willing to take a backseat and let college happen to them will have a great time somewhere else, but will most likely hate it here.

MORE READING A WRITING THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE. Seriously. Think of the most you'd be willing to do in highschool and tripple that. The application to Hampshire has like sceighty-eith essays...that's just the beginning folks.

most popular team is probably frsibee, although basketball does fairly well. I'm a signer for the Black Student Union, UMOJA, and play on the basketball and soccer teams. Dorms are mostly for freshmen, (we call them first years) the rest of us have apartment style living, so it's open. We usually cook meals together in our mods (houses). Traditions:: Keg hunt (hampshire kids go into the woods early easter morning and tap kegs, people stumble back onto campus drunkenly later), Hampshire Halloween (famous party every year the friday b4 halloween. everyone wants tog et on the guyest list, your off campus friends will thank you forever if you get them in. spring jam. concerts, free food and rides all day in the spring. usually the day accepted students visit too. this year we had Dead Prez...

Some people look at Hampshire and say 'that's not a real college' because they don't take tests, because the students can do whatever they want, because that's not the way the real world works. People think we Hampshire students are all a bunch of hippies who would rather get high all day then open a book. A lot of people think this school is fully of a bunch of rich kids who can't push themselves and are basically going to a $50,000 camp every year.

Kelly

The best thing about Hampshire? The students, the atmosphere of enthusiastic scholastic enquiry, the professors. Everyone here is allowed to study what they want to study and so they tend to be interested in what they're doing and thus interesting themselves. If I could, I would give Hampshire a huge wad of money. We need better facilities and more teachers. Most student complaints, about the scarcity of scholarships, the decrepitude of the dorms, and the small size of some departments, are linked to the problem of funding. One of the things I love about Hampshire is the lack of overt school pride. There are no rallies here for the Ultimate Frisbee team and God willing there never will be. That said, there is a very strong sense of Hampshire community and a powerful campus ethos, probably because the school is so small and everyone there makes a deliberate choice to seek a different kind of education.

Hampshire students run the gamut in so many ways. There was one kid who went around barefoot in shorts all winter even though there was snow on the ground. He was an exception, but plenty of people walk around without shoes. Piercings and dreads abound, but there are plenty of people who dress "normally." You can't tell looking at people which friend group they will be in. There is no obvious segregation along class, or pop culture affiliation lines. Most people have liberal political views, some more aggressively so than others. There are some militant vegans you have to watch out for, but most people are very live and let live. Racially, there has been some controversy recently. There are not many African Americans on campus, not because the school doesn't actively try to recruit, but because it cannot compete with other schools in terms of handing out merit and need-based scholarships. The queer community is totally accepted at Hampshire, to the extent that it's not really an issue. Which is not to say that there are not discussions about which pronoun people would prefer to be addressed with, but you'll never hear anyone on campus suggesting that there's anything wrong with any sexual choice consenting adults make. Hampshire does have a Spriritual Life Center, which is fitting since the majority of the student body is into spirituality rather than organized religion. There is a very close-knit Jewish community here, but even some of the Jewish kids would describe themselves as culturally, rather than devoutly, Jewish. No one talks about what they'll earn one day. People come to Hampshire to learn about what they are passionate about, not to add an attractive line to their resumes.

Some people smoke pot, but if you don't want to then it's completely avoidable and there's very little social pressure. Definitely no more pressure than you would get to drink alcohol at a normal school. As far as the wealth of the student body goes, Hampshire is a young school and so it does not have a very big endowment. It cannot afford to give away a huge amount of scholarship money. However, there many people there are on partial scholarships and a few are there on full scholarships. More importantly, there is an elitist ethos there such as you would normally associate with rich kids. Even if people are trust fund kids, you would never know because almost no one wears expensive clothing and quite a few people run around wearing clothing they could have gotten in middle school. There is a very liberal attitude on campus and so you never hear people complaining that if poor people would just work harder they'd be fine. Everyone makes great efforts to be PC. To the charge of artsy-fartsiness, I can only say that Hampshire does attract very creative people, but it also tends to weed out people who aren't serious and diligent about their art. The professors will not tolerate perpetual flakes or people who do not consider their craft thoughtfully. That said, the great thing about Hampshire is that it's easy to have your studies and participate in dance, music, etc. extracurriculars, sometimes quite seriously. They don't make you choose between your interests; you're encouraged to incorporate all of them into your college experience. Also, there are plenty of people there who major in the sciences and never go near a dance show. Hampshire does attract more than its fair share of anarchists, but they are still a small percentage of the student pop, and certainly make poli-sci discussions interesting. Idealism runs rampant on campus, but its oddly wedded to a studied cynicism. Let's change the world, but isn't that so typical. The student body tends to believe that big changes are needed, but students vary, to all extremes, in their confidence in possibility of making a difference. As to the charge of slackerdom, I refer you to my artsy-fartsy answer. Hampshire has a very open door policy and admits many people do not necessarily look good on paper (people who did not take the SATs, or graduate from high school). Often times, these people end up being great students, but this wide net policy means that the school winnows the slackers from the freshman class pretty aggressively. Not that the school actively kicks people out all the time. A lot of the time people realize that they really are going to have to do work and leave. Don't think that our lack of grades means we get a free pass.

One of the great things about Hampshire is the individual attention you get from teachers. Everyone has office hours and they are very willing to go the extra mile to help you. Classes are small - usually around 15 students, so you will not get lost in the crowd. My favorite class, On Terror, was wonderful in that the texts we read for each class were wonderfully diverse: an article about postmodern poetry, the movie "Brazil," a scholarly article on the conflict in Israel, a series of articles written for magazines about 9/11. All building a picture of the many meanings of "terror," but an incredibly diverse and multidisciplinary one. A multidisciplinary approach to education represents the best of the Hampshire education. There aren't really tests at Hampshire, so people don't "study" very often unless they have classes off campus, which they do with some frequency. However, Hampshire is very writing intensive, so people are always working on essays or projects, if they're into the sciences or arts. How much work you have to do depends heavily on which courses you take. Even some 100 level courses can spawn hours of reading every week, but some of them are barely any work at all. There are no grades at Hampshire, so people aren't very competitive. There's simply no way to compare when everyone is doing there own self-designed major. Most classes have significant discussion elements if they are not completely discussion based, so class participation is very common. People do continue discussions outside of class, though abstract discussions tend to morph into political ones.

The most popular groups... hmm... probably the twice yearly 5 college wide Dungeons and Dragons tournaments are the biggest draws in terms of raw numbers. There are tons of groups and clubs on campus and it's really easy to start any sort of club you would want to, even if you just want an excuse for the school to buy you and your friends a pizza every week. Athletic events are not a big deal on campus, though friends always go to watch each other play. I joined an a cappella group this year. We started UltraSounds, an all-girl group, this year after a large group of us didn't make it into the other two a cappella groups on campus. It's been great fun and we ended up sounding very good, if I do say so myself. Guest speakers get big crowds, though it depends on the topic. The ongoing lecture series on God and science gets great crowds for every speaker. Dorm life depends greatly on where you live, even down to which floor you're on. I was on the sub-free floor last year and it was wonderful! No noise, and while no one left their door open, why would I care? I just went off to my friends' dorm rooms. On the floor above me, however, all the students got to be (the rest of us thought) weirdly close. They had a very strong hall identity and were in and out of each other's rooms all the time. I met my closest friends in the dining hall in those first few weeks of frantic friend-making at the beginning of the year. There are no frats or sororities on campus. Parties abound, but no hazing. Best of all worlds.

pot-smokers rich kids artsy-fartsy anarchists idealists not very motivated

Sasha

Hampshire's administration is completely irresponsible and does exactly the opposite of what it is supposed to do; protect its students. It seems to be trying to get away from the smoker stereotype and become more in line with ivy league schools. This is ridiculous because this is not what hampshire is about. This school is supposed to be alternative, and not worried so much about its reputation. As such, the administration does not stand on issues that it needs to such as racism, sexism and violence against women. There are many cases of sexual assault that are not reported, why? because women know they will not be protected by the administration. This is intolerable, absolutely inexcusable and needs to change.

Most students at Hampshire come from the same socioeconomic background, upper class since the middle class is vanishing. There are definitely some students from working class families, but not many. This is not good because it fosters the same opinion from lots of people and not differing opinions from different backgrounds. There is not a lot of racial, ethnic or socioeconomic diversity at Hampshire. This is definitely lacking and makes me wish sometimes that I went to a public university where the conversations and social as well as academic experiences would be different. Also the people of color on Hampshire do not feel comfortable as much as they should, they have expressed it publicly many times. The administration should try to make them feel more comfortable, welcome, take them seriously.

They are not at all. Students at Hampshire are very interested and self motivated individuals who really care about what it is they study and believe in. Many do not smoke pot, and others who do are just as interested and motivated as the next person. Many students are apathetic and have been completely alienated by the political culture at the school, leaving them uninterested in joining and aligning themselves with different groups. Just because you go to Hampshire, doesn't mean that you're so open minded.

I have had a good relationship with my professors, who all have wanted me to call them by their first name. Many professors have the idea that students have good thoughts to contribute to discussions and that their opinions are truly valuable. This works really well and has given me a lot of confidence to express myself. Still class participation have not always been as good as they could have been. I myself do not talk that much because often I do not understand the material as well as I should. There is a responsibility to ask, so that other students who feel the same understand as well.

Many students are bored on campus, and say that there is little to do. This is not true since there are many groups. But often, the groups are very specific to one cause and do not collaborate, see and understand that they are fighting for the same issues only from different perspectives. Still, there could be more activities geared towards students, more of an institutional role in getting students interested. People are concerned that many students smoke pot at Hampshire, why do they do this? Because they are not interested or do not know about what is going on. While this is in part their own fault, the administration is also not getting through to them either, something must be done about this as well.

Hampshire students are lazy potheads who slack off as much as possible. They are always high, always grungy and dirty and naively interested in radical, left wing politics that will never happen. On the other hand, many students believe that because they go to Hampshire, they are automatically left wing and liberal and open minded. They do not need to work at all, join different groups, become involved in discussions for this, in a sense, they do not need to work to earn this title, they already just have it.

Leigh

Good size, near Amherst and Northampton which are great college towns. Pretty loose in terms of requirements. Good bus schedule, and you can take classes at 4 other schools. Professors are mostly really cool. Dining sucks but you only have to deal with it for one year. A lot of activism and things on campus regarding race and class. A lot of passionate people. sometimes too passionate.

Pretty accepting of "weird" kids, "normal" kids tend to be outcasted by a lot of people.some seem to think if you dont smoke pot you arent a real hampshire student. But I dont smoke and most of my friends dont. i like everybody.

NO TESTS!! I took a science class at Hampshire and learned nothing because I wasn't required to memorize anything, but for other classes that are especially writing intensive it is great. The professors that I have had are mostly in it to make you a stronger student-- not just academically, but in the way that you see the world and yourself. After my first year I took most of my classes at Smith because they have more to offer, but still worked very closely at Hamp with my advisor to cater my studies to my needs. It is however pretty typical that people graduate and end up working in the Hampshire mailroom or dining hall, or poor on the streets of Noho or New york.

Depends on where you live on campus and who your friends are. Its pretty split even between partyers and non-partyers. no frats. no sports, except frisbee. but i take karate and yoga and mountain biking and rock climbing, and i teach yoga too. there's some improv groups that perform a lot, and lots of bands.

pot smoking, creative, slackers, smart, rich kids pretending to be poor hippies

Rose

Hampshire is small, but there are definitely some people you will never meet. Hampshire has no grades, so your education is what you make of it, some people take this and do really amazing things, others just fuck around for four years and smoke a lot of weed. Pretty much every one is left-leaning, it just depends how far left. Recently the administration was attacked for issues of institutional racism, because the campus is almost entirely white, and the curriculum is inherently geared towards white upper class students. However, more of an effort is being made to be actively anti-racist. People spend a lot of time hating on Hampshire, and if you don't like it, you don't like it, but if you make it work for you, it is an amazing experience or self-growth and learning.

Hampshire can be cliquey, and students tend to keep to themselves. There are safe spaces on campus for students of color, and LGBTQ students. It is possible to put students into three groups, hippies, hipsters and geeks, and then there are hybrids of both. The homogenous aspect bothers some people. Most students are from the east coast, but there are plenty of international and west coast students, they just don't make up the majority.

Hampshire is an extremely individual school, and that can be great, if you are motivated. You could also drop out if you decide you don't want to work. Hampshire for some, is college for people who don't actually want to be in college, and those people usually end up dropping out.

Classes are small, and discussion based. In order to get a really great evaluation, you have to do all the reading, which there is plenty of, and participate a lot. A lot of times, students will be debating teachers and students, and there is a lot of critical thought involved. However, some students don't take their classes seriously, and that thought and dialogue doesn't happen. Philosophy classes tend to be very strong, as well as the arts program. Another great thing about the college is the consortium, where one can take classes at Smith, Mt. Holyoke, Amherst, and UMASS. In my experience, classes tend to be easier at the other colleges in terms of reading and discussion, but you still have to take mid-terms and finals, unlike at Hampshire, where you write 15 page research papers as your final.

People can be extremely studious, usually a typical weekend for me is studying on Thursday night, maybe smoking weed or just hanging out on Friday night, and drinking on Saturday night. There are usually parties on the weekends, but often its more fun to drink and talk in one persons room. There are a lot of events in the area if you want to get off campus, but during the winter thats really unappealing. Hampshire halloween is a really fun party, as is drag ball.

Gene

Hampshire is a nice community. It is very expensive which sucks. And the school has like no $ to spend because it is a brand new college with no endowments. But, basically you are paying to be who you want to be and do what you want. There is no one telling you what to do, the education is self guided. When i tell people i go to hampshire, they immediatly want to talk about hampshire halloween or easter keg hunt.

alternative. kind. unique. politically ignorant

Well. A lot of Hampshire kids do a lot of drugs, but a lot dont. The majority smoke pot. Hallucinogens are in plenty. The school is NOT a bunch hippies, which i was very disappointed about. You will definitly find some, but the majority is like emo kids. Or just kids which are unique to themselves. You will meet people that you never thought you would be friends with.

Hampshire academics are amazing!!!! small classes, discussion based. no tests. no grades, just evaluations. professors are almost always available to help you outside of class. I have been invited over with my whole class to my professors house.

Mixed nuts is awesome, our amazing co-op! also join our sustainability group to help hampshire go green! students in dorms definity leave there doors open, but not so much in mods. athletic events are not popular. homosexuality is widely accepted and not uncommon.

Well there are a lot of stereotypes. The most common one is that Hampshire kids do a lot of drugs. Stereotyped as hippies. Also many people think Hampshire kids are a little weird.

Anna

cons: tiny community with too much drama and changeover no graduate students to balance out us know-it-all undergrads student body that is mostly super privileged like woah undefeatable bueauracracy and ineffectual administration expensive as hell even with FA shitty housing pros: everyone finds their own pocket of really awesome people amazing funding for student groups the best undergraduate program hands-down for people who actually want to teach themselves things student representation on the board of trustees and administrative groups for each school

85% white, 20% Jewish, mostly wealthy or upper-middle class, lots of prep/boarding/Waldorf/magnet school kids who took things like AP philosophy and art history but don't know how to wash their own dishes. Lots of vegans/vegetarians. Hipsters, hippies and geeks are everywhere. We're way below the national averages for all students of color. There's pretty good queer visibility for white women + transmen. Pretty bad ignorance about issues of racism and classism among students who are white and class privileged (the majority.) Decent feminist and queer activism/awareness/allyship and strong concentrated group of white anti-racist allies. People will say that they're far-left but tell you you're hurting the cause for calling them out on their own prejudices. Activists have earned a reuptation for being elitist, even between varying groups, but that seems to be getting better....(?) There are multiple shit-storm controversies every year. One thing it's safe to say is that even people who claim to hate Hampshire really have a stake in the school and will duke it out over important issues.

I loved the program and learned a lot from the few individuals and student groups I could actually stand to be around. The rest of the social scene was annoying at best, at worst I had to leave on a field study in a badly masked aversion to homocide. My final take is that I wouldn't have had it any other way. College is about work and academics and if you're there for serious education you will find like-minded people who will kick your ass at dinner even more than they'll do in class and you'll love it.

- We do some of the most exciting, challenging, extensive, deep and analytical independent research/writing/production in the Five Colleges. The Division III is likened to a small-time masters thesis and for good reason. Occasionally there are jerk-offs who get away with murder, like at any institution. We just get pinned for it more than most. - We do plenty of drugs, some of them legal (for example, everyone smokes cigarettes) but no more so than other colleges. Important note: People don't binge nearly as much as at the college town I'm from. Then again, I am from Wisconsin. - We all like to think that being liberal/progressive/leftist/etc. means this. It doesn't. Very few acknowledge their privileges and blind spots. People seem to take the view that being at Hampshire, which means thinking about whatever you want to think about (academically) means not having to think about anything you don't want to think about (sociopolitically.) Combine this with an 85% mostly wealthy white majority of kids whose parents mostly went to college and it can be just disasterous for people who don't fit into those groups to live in the community. - We place extremely high in terms of graduate school placements and jobs.

It's a very challenging program with incredible opportunities if you know how to find them and make them happen. People complain a lot about not being able to take care of business or get good advisors but really you just need a hell of a lot of self-determinism and you can make it work. You need that anyway to get through the program. Div III was the best thing I could have spend tuition on.

People are generally friendly and most living areas are open-door: go in, introduce yourself, borrow a cup of sugar, etc. Party scene is decent if you like blow-out dance parties, otherwise there are all kinds of other things to do like flims, music, circus performances, bike-fixing-BBQs, stand-up comedy, etc. It gets clique-ey especially along identity/political lines but there's cross-over if you look for it. If you can't find it you can make a student group about it and other people will just find you. I'd say most people can't remember how they met their closest friends; you all kind of end up together and feel like family pretty quickly. Div III's tend to hole up in their rooms/labs/studios/etc. and a lot of people stick with their core group of friends from their first year but almost everyone makes a lot of friends along class lines.

- We don't do any real work - We all do drugs, more so than our peers - We're all really liberal/progressive/leftist and therefore are not racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, classist, capitalistic, imperialistic, etc., either as individuals or as an institution - We can't get jobs/into graduate school after college

Hampshire College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.