Hampshire College

« See more reviews of Hampshire College

If you are a religious student, get ready to meet people who feel that they are above "all that religious crap". Seriously. At times, as a religious student myself, its frustrating, having to deal with people who don't hesitate to say that believing in God is just so stupid, and only an idiot would do so. But don't let this sway you, most people will shut up if you tell them to do so. In terms of racial incidents, once again, you will meet people who call all Latino people "Mexicans" and think that all black people are bad people, or in the case of public safety at Hampshire, that you are from Holyoke Community College, coming to ruin the college. And again, get ready to meet people with lots and lots of $$. Now, people wear whatever at Hampshire, but generally, you get the hipster feel. oh, and this is def a left, very liberal school.

Most students at Hampshire come from the same socioeconomic background, upper class since the middle class is vanishing. There are definitely some students from working class families, but not many. This is not good because it fosters the same opinion from lots of people and not differing opinions from different backgrounds. There is not a lot of racial, ethnic or socioeconomic diversity at Hampshire. This is definitely lacking and makes me wish sometimes that I went to a public university where the conversations and social as well as academic experiences would be different. Also the people of color on Hampshire do not feel comfortable as much as they should, they have expressed it publicly many times. The administration should try to make them feel more comfortable, welcome, take them seriously.

i pretty much hate most of them. people glare at you if you try to dress up and look nice, i think it's because they're still angry at the popular people in high school who were mean to them and want to maintain their image of hampshire as its own private haven for those poor, hurt, misunderstood, "intellectual", trust-fund babies. people don't smile enough here. people aren't kind enough here. they're too busy with their fucking work, not to mention talking talking talking about shit that doesn't matter in the real world anyway. i know i sound bitter, but a lot of people here really do suck, and they're hard to put up with...finding cool people to hang out with is pretty hard when you're just sort of a "normal" person with no particular agenda...like i said i'm just here for the film program.

87% white. Very privileged overall. But there are lots of us who don't fit into those categories. The valley in general is pretty queer, and Hampshire's no exception. Lots of queer folks, lots of students who don't agree with gender binaries, and this is supported by our institution in certain ways (non gendered bathrooms etc.) but this isn't a place where battles over race and gender have come to some sort of utopian end. The hampshire bubble is a microcosm wherein the realities of power dynamics totally play out and thirve in everyday Hampshrie expereinces. But generally students are willing to fight for what they want be that local food in the dining commons, no coke products on campus, more faculty of color, or more eco-friendly buses.

There are a lot of rich white kids at this school. There are a lot of LGBT people at this school. But, there are still a lot of middle class students and a lot of straight ones too. But everyone seems to be either a liberal democrat or a socialist or an anarchist. I don' think that anyone that would want to come to Hampshire would feel out of place. There a are a lot of different crowds and I feel that they interact. It is easy to get a core group of friends and not reach outside of them but everyone will be nice to everyone. there is no tension between groups. Except the "sub-free" kids and everyone else. That's just a choice of what you do with your time outside of class, where and with who you spend your free time.

People here are incredibly liberal. Please, more moderates, come. Love of God, please come. Raging debates happen often, as well as stupid social movements (in my opinion, sorry). It is an incredibly self-conscious campus. We're so liberal, we protest ourselves. However, I've never had a problem making friends (in fact, the best way to make friends is to complain about how liberal everyone else is. Turns out, everyone thinks that). Different people often interact. It's hard to stay completely unknown. My advice is be friendly and join some type of on-campus community. Oh yeah, many people smoke, so if you love smoking or if you hate smokers, come here. Both will earn you lots of friends. Same goes for vegans.

There are three different types of Hampshire students: hippies, hipsters, and geeks. Most people are a combination of those three types of people. The hippies are the activists, people who work on the farm, people who don't wear shoes, people with dreadlocks, people who eat lots of organic food. The hipsters are the "cool" people. They dress like they are poor, they are very confined to their social groups, and know more obscure things about whatever you like. The geeks like role-playing games, video games, comic books, and anything else that could be considered "geeky".

Wealthier, whiter, and smoke-weedier more than average America. There was one conservative on campus. He left. Surprising amount of students leave because of academic challenge; they don't put enough time into their work. Diversity in clothing, genders, and sexual orientations, but not much to offer racially. Generally smart kids, but lazy and complaining-types. Smart kids who are hard-workers or motivated career-wise may feel extremely out of place. Also, non-drinkers and substance-free people will certainly feel out of place. Some theft occurs.

People try not to openly display their wealth here, so it seems like Hampsters don't really have money, but in reality, in order to afford Hampshire, you either have to be on scholarship(s) or you have to have a lot of money. Everyone at Hampshire interacts with everyone else: people are nice and friendly. However, at the same time, people of certain backgrounds do tend to band together. For instance, black students tend to stick together, as do international students. But in general, as I've said, people are friendly and welcoming.

Student Body - hippies (typically have dreadlocks, don't wear shoes to class, smoke pot, study social change) - hipsters (typically wear skinny jeans, have bangs, chain smoke cigarettes, party, study photography and film) - miscellaneous (there is a little of everything at Hampshire!) - very strong LBGT and students of color groups - typically students are from california, brooklyn, and vermont - typically students are liberal but are suprisinly NOT politically active