Hampshire College

« See more reviews of Hampshire College

Any student who cannot motivate him or herself will bomb at Hampshire. There are interwoven social clusters of every persuasion from LGBTQ to chefs to geeks to frisbie players. There are some cliques, but mostly people find groups of friends and these groups interact freely with other ones. Students are painfully aware of everything left, and painfully ign'ant of anything right. Nobody talks about future earnings, everybody talks about current and future projects.

Most people at Hampshire are hippies or hipsters, so there are a lot of dreadlocks and green hair. But if someone looks traditional in whatever way, they aren't judged or excluded or anything like that. People are pretty laid back about appearances. There's a serious lack of racial diversity, because Hampshire doesn't have a ton of money to recruit minorities; but there's a huge LGBT community. Almost everyone assumes that they'll live in a cardboard box someday.

The reason I came to Hampshire was because of the students. As stated before, the average Hampshire student is friendly, cool, and smart. I have received comments from people at other colleges that Hampshire students are much nicer and outgoing than students at most colleges. Hampshire students are definitely liberal/radical, which might be a turnoff for some people, but above all Hampshire students are very friendly and interesting.

Some are awesome, some are not. We have everything from jocks to hippies to nerds and cool kids, but everywhere does. You will find someone you love to their toes, and you will find someone else you want to hip check off a cliff. Hampshire students are (again) full of extremes: a great many are very politically and environmentally conscious, but a great many are also apathetic to the core. The campus on the whole is very liberal.

Hampshire students like to hide and/or ignore their privilege. With a lot of students, this means they pretend like they don't come from money and comfort. With a lot of students, this means they think racism or sexism don't exist at Hampshire. There are a lot of students, however, who try to hold themselves accountable and the institution accountable and try to initiate dialog and create a culture of accountability.

it's an expensive hippie school. there's a lot of talk about privilege and white guilt. but fundamentally hampshire students mean well; there are very few i've encountered who were simply nasty or unpleasant people. like any college, the students are deeply wrapped up in themselves, but that doesn't mean all of them are narcissistic, but rather dedicated to their own causes - which may not be yours.

I'm not really into groups, but Hampshire has a lot of them. There's something for everyone here. Students are very socially and politically active. Students talk about everything at Hampshire, sometimes at parties you'll hear two or more students talk about a very intellectual topic or about their studies. And yes, we talk about our future, a lot.

There is not alot of racial diversity, there is a large queer community. People can wear whatever.. I mean whatever they want. There are alot of hipsters but anything really goes hear. most people are very liberal and politically savvy. Many do not expect to make alot of money becase we are activist and art kids.

The student body could maybe be described as 1/3 who care about thing like anti-racism and politics in a progressive or radical way, 1/3 who are frighteningly conservative, and 1/3 who don't care and are absent from the discussion. Students are friendly though.

Pretty accepting of "weird" kids, "normal" kids tend to be outcasted by a lot of people.some seem to think if you dont smoke pot you arent a real hampshire student. But I dont smoke and most of my friends dont. i like everybody.