Hampshire College

« See more reviews of Hampshire College

Hampshire is an extremely individual school, and that can be great, if you are motivated. You could also drop out if you decide you don't want to work. Hampshire for some, is college for people who don't actually want to be in college, and those people usually end up dropping out.

For my "major," I put "Other Social Science." To be more specific, I am planning to explore the interactions between environmental issues and social justice issues. The idea for my concentration was inspired by a class I took entitled "Environment and Social Justice."

Your personal program of studies is completely developed by you, the student. You form a commity of professors (2 - 3) that work with you on a one to one basis. You write contracts and agreements that one must follow through on.

Be prepared for Hampshire to be a temporary thing. The information they give in the brochures is not entirely accurate. And be sure to talk to students when/if you come and visit. They're more honest than the administration.

If you can motivate yourself to learn, if you don't mind kids that smell, if you love to party it up, if you think you'll explore the area and *not* confine yourself to Hampshire, then you'll love it here!

Lots of people stay at Hampshire for longer than 4 years. Lots drop out after the first year. It all just depends on who you are and how you learn.

Ken Burns, possibly our only famous alumn besides Danny Tamberelli, once referred to Hampshire as "the perfect American place." Nuff said.

For more information about the college, go to youtube and search Hampshire College, or go to google and search "Action Awareness Week"

Hampshire is like a big, four-year-long summer camp, but with snow.

Fraught with idealistic trustifarians without futures.