Hampshire College

« See more reviews of Hampshire College

No. Many people do smoke week and do many other drugs all the time, but there is also a small subfree or partially subfree community. Many people do drop out after one, but they are usually the ones who didn't want to come to college in the first place anyhow. At Hampshire, you get what you give. People here are much more accepting than most other places, but there is still discrimination against minorities.

Well. A lot of Hampshire kids do a lot of drugs, but a lot dont. The majority smoke pot. Hallucinogens are in plenty. The school is NOT a bunch hippies, which i was very disappointed about. You will definitly find some, but the majority is like emo kids. Or just kids which are unique to themselves. You will meet people that you never thought you would be friends with.

Most are. There really aren't so many 'hippies' per se, but there is a lot of weed. What most kids don't realize is that there's as much drinking and partying at Hampshire as any other school. Everyone is extremely lazy, so you have to learn to take it upon yourself to be productive. And not everyone's a liberal, but moderate or conservative views are not accepted.

Hampshire's stereotypes are not there because people hate Hampshire. They are there becaues people have met and interacted with the students and have visited the school and seen people run by streaking a tour group while smoking a joint, screaming about social change and how they are going to change the world but not until they come down off the mushrooms.

There is a lot of pot smoking. There are many smart Hampshire students but a fair amount of disorganized idiots. People are some times over sensitive about issues but unaware of the actual workings of the issue itself. Hampshire is basically white, and the multi cultural portion of Hampshire mostly segregates itself from the rest.

No. Of my four years at Hampshire I've been friends with people who are straightedge and those who are not. Many people I know do smoke pot and/or drink, but it has only gotten in the way of one friendship. The majority of students on this campus are committed to their work and relationships on this campus.

The stereotype exists here, but does not make up the majority of the student body. The majority of students are intensely creative and motivated in multiple areas of both academic and extra-curricular learning.

Not at all. Hampshire is the most active place I've ever been to. There is drug use, but that does not define the college whatsoever

Let's say that the average Hampshire student tries to be one or all of those things. Success is a different story.

While there are plenty of people who do experiment with pot, the stereotypes are by no means true.