Hampshire College

« See more reviews of Hampshire College

They are not at all. Students at Hampshire are very interested and self motivated individuals who really care about what it is they study and believe in. Many do not smoke pot, and others who do are just as interested and motivated as the next person. Many students are apathetic and have been completely alienated by the political culture at the school, leaving them uninterested in joining and aligning themselves with different groups. Just because you go to Hampshire, doesn't mean that you're so open minded.

Hampshire is a very liberal school, but it is a real school. No grades and no tests means you are evaluated on the work you produce. If you don't produce work or lousy work, you get a bad evaluation. If you do work your work, if you try your best, your hard work will be reflected in your evaluation. An evaluation says more about you than a simple letter grade. Yes we have potheads, but I challenge you to find a school that doesn't. We also have hipsters, preps, and even republicans.

Well there's definately a big hippie population, and although it's not substance free...I wouldn't say everyone is a pot head and everyone takes their work very seriously. I transferred into Hampshire (spent half of my first year of college at a seperate university) and was a bit worried about the stereotypes. Students are self-motivated and know when they need to complete their work, however they don't let it rule their lives (well except maybe Div III's).

Not at all. Although you will run into some people who are VERY (I mean, VERY hippie-like) this isn't true about everyone. There are some people who don't shower, but by no means is this everyone, its a very laid back school. However, this doesn't mean that the people here don't work hard. Generally, the people who don't do anything, and just party/be hippie-like Xcore, get kicked out. Get ready to write LONG (we're talking 10-15 page) papers.

no. only the first years embody these stereotypes because they haven't yet figured it out. hampshire relies on self-motivation, but it certainly has some structure. it's easy to succeed if you work hard and are independent, and the successes experienced by hampshire students are usually more informed and full-bodied. hampshire students become excellent, driven members of their fields.

Hampshire is full of alot of hippies, and pot is pretty prevalent on campus, however, I doubt it's any more popular on our campus than it is on any other campus. And the workload at Hampshire is pretty intense. Because we don't test, we write ALOT of papers, and just because we don't get grades, doesn't mean we get off easy when our work is crappy.

Almost everyone is hippie. If not, the majority are hippie friendly. Class is what you want to make of it. It depends on the professor whether you need to attend or not; often, you do. Almost everyone smokes pot. Even more people are cigarette smokers. Hampshire Halloween is cool if you are tripping - its not what it once was.

It's a college. You're going to find people of all types here. Yes for the most part there are a lot of very liberal individuals, there are some drugs on campus, but that's unavoidable period. Overall most people here are pretty friendly and you're going to meet people like you at any college. It attracts all kinds.

There is a lot of pot (and other drugs) on hampshire campus, but it's not all we do. It is certainly possibly to do nothing, but isn't that possible at any school? Some of the most creative, driven, and hard working people I've ever met go to Hampshire.

Occasionally. Hampshire is for people who think outside the box, absolutely. So no matter what department you're in, you'll find strange, wacky, and often beautiful ideas. I've never been anywhere else where the people are half as interesting.