Hampshire College

« See more reviews of Hampshire College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Extremely liberal hippies who love nature, social change and challenging the status quo. Hampshire pretends to be radical but really just changes the mask worn over the exact same crap experienced by students at other "less radical" schools. Hampshire students are not very diverse. Everyone is an activist in a uniquely mass produced and common way. The truth is that Hampshire students are, or at least seem to be, almost entirely rich white suburban kids that are interested in "social change" but only so far as they can continue to buy their lattes and free trade skirts and vegan leather birkenstocks. Hampshire is an awesome place but not in the way they pretend to be. Hampshire is awesome because it first makes you hate your classes, then your teachers, then your friends, then yourself, then the school and then finally you come full circle and appreciate everything. Anyone who says Hampshire isn't cliquish has not taken part in the sick social experiment that is living in the on campus apartments known as "mods". Your first year you will meet a bunch of people and hang out in groups of ten and twenty people consistently. It is awesome and you feel loved. Then all your friends drop out because Hampshire can't retain it's original student body because it is such a weird and ridiculous place. Hampshire is also known for drugs and, truth is, drugs are well known to Hampshire. I would guess that nearly every student has smoked pot at least once and that 70% of students smoke at LEAST once or twice a week. Campus is a mecca for whatever tickles a person's fancy. Not everyone does drugs and most people don't go to class high but almost everyone knows how to have a good time.

The obvious one; the Scooby canard, is that we represent the Shaggy element of the five college consortium. As such, we're supposed to be wannabe-hippies, stoners and hipsters. We have a reputation for being irresponsible layabouts, and for "thinking outside the box."

THE stereotype of the Hampshire student is a pot-smoking, Birkenstock wearing, peace-loving White, Upper-Middle class hippie. The stereotype is of a student who concentrates in Frisbie and does nothing except write cliched folk songs and drugs.

We all smoke tons of weed, we don't do work or go to class, we all drop out after the first year, are all politically correct and activists, we all respect everyone else no matter of race, sexuality, gender or class.

Pot smoking hippies, smart but disorganized and somewhat uncleanly. Really into any activist movement, some times unnecessarily so. Really liberal. White and wealthy. The other category from high school.

Hampshire students are hippies. Everyone at Hampshire smokes weed and does drugs. Hampshire classes are easy because there are no grades, only evaluations. Hampshire has a strong community feel.

Well there are a lot of stereotypes. The most common one is that Hampshire kids do a lot of drugs. Stereotyped as hippies. Also many people think Hampshire kids are a little weird.

The stereotypical Hampshire student would be best described as a pothead, a crazy hippies, or a rich stoner who's parents are paying for them.

Hampshire students are often thought to be... ...drugged ...artistic ...politically active ...dirty ...socially concerned ...loud

Hampshire students are most frequently stereotyped at hippie stoner kids who can't get organized enough to attend a regular college.