Hampshire College

« See more reviews of Hampshire College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Stereotypes about college students are not indicative of what the college or its students are like. The type of stereotype that develop about the college are usually informed by personal experiences which, when shared with other in the college or outside of it, perpetuate these stereotypes.

Hampshire College students are often hippies and strange, with odd ideas about education, the social system, science or philosophy. They can be considered harmless due to general inaptitude, or dangerous due to their liberalism. Earch-child, flower-power, and pot.

a. pretentious, wealthy assholes who do a lot of cocaine and/or b. self-involved hippies who eat organic greens and tempeh every day and/or c. intellectuals, intellectuals, intellectuals who CANNOT stop talking about their taste in books, music, etc.

That they are either stoned slacker hipsters or highly motivated individual learners, with no middle ground. Many students spend their first year as the first, then transition quickly to the second.

Everyone is a hippie. Since we don't have tests, class isn't "real". Speaking of, you don't have to go to class. Everyone smokes a lot of pot. Hampshire Halloween is the shit.

Hampshire is just a bunch of rich liberal kids doing whatever they want. It's not a real school. They don't take test or have grades. It's a slackers school perfect for potheads.

They're all pot-heads, they don't do any work. Hippies. Hampshire is a joke school. Where rich parents send their f*** up kids to go f*** around for four years (or longer).

That we are all dirty, hippies who smoke pot, drugs, etc. Also that Hampshire Halloween is huge and such a big deal. Also perhaps, that this is a pretty easy school.

Hampshire students are stereotyped as rich white kids, who mainly identify as hipsters or hippies. Hampshire students also have a reputation of being all potheads.

The top three stereotypes about Hampshire students would have to be that they are hippie pot heads that don't care about their school work.