Hampshire College

« See more reviews of Hampshire College

I would advise myself to stick with my commitments and not procrastinate. At the beggining of the year I attented many different clubs, but by the end of the year, I failed to go to the clubs anymore. In the first semester, I socialized too much and thus, reglected my studies. I handed in one of my papers two months late. This was a very bad decision and reflected poorly on my evaluation of the course. I did not go to the clubs I would have liked to because I hung out with my friends to often and could not finish my work, thus I did not have time to go to the clubs. That would be my advice to myself.

Be enthusiastic about the process. Consider taking time off - college is wonderful if you are open, willing and prepared for it. The experience that you will have is the one that you make. Remember that education is an amazing privalege. Be open and honest and remember to take the time to be friendly to everyone. Be aware of what is going on at school, get ivolved with campus sustainability and the farm program (if you have one). Make music, learn about what you love, love what you learn about. Keep in touch with your family. Appreciate your family. Be true to yourself.

I have found that my most important issues with my school is the range of extra-curricular clubs and activities and the academic structure. One must judge to what extent they can direct their own learning and choose a college with an academic program accordingly. I have also found that participation in extra-curricular clubs has truely helped me connect with my school and find my passions. I would say, find a school with a fitting academic structure and a school with a wide range of clubs and activities.

make sure that the cost is not going to break you so that you can enjoy your education without the stress of financial burdens. talk to the students and teachers on the campus, walk around, sit in the cafe's where students hang out, get a feel for the place. check the course listings and see how many of the classes look interesting to you. make sure that the surrounding area is stimulating and pleasing to you, it's hard to enjoy a school if the setting is dull or makes you feel anxious or depressed.

The best way to find out if a college is right for a student is to find out how the students feels while visiting the college for a short period of time and combine that with how much the college can offer the student in terms of what they want to study. It is a very difficult decision, but descovering whether or not a college feels right can make all of the difference and just because a college is fun does not mean it will help if it does not offer the student what they want to student.

Gateway Community College offered an easy transition for me as a single parent returning to school. Returning to school was a difficult task; however, at Gateway the teachers and organizations provided many forms of support. Gateway gave me the confidence that a degree was an attainable goal for me. Being able to receive free tutoring and easy class scheduling has put me into a fast track for a new career and brighter future.

Take your time finding the right college, there is a college for everyone and its only a matter of time before they find the one they are looking for. I fell in love with Hampshire before i even took the tour but that wont happen to everyone either. just take the process one step at a time and try not to rush for a school without visiting it before or doing some research on it

I would advise students to search through the course catalog at the college they are looking at. Be sure that the courses the school offers will match your needs. Also consider the financial aid the school offers and the increase in tuition each year. Finally, carefully look at the facilities the school offers, including dorms, computer labs, library, etc.

Do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions. Don't be afraid to talk to students who are not part of the admissions crew and really make sure you get the bare truth. You really don't want to end up some place you hate JUST because it was the first place you picked or because it was the school that gave you the most money. Have fun and learn a lot! <3

Your advisor may seem insignificant but they can make or break the academic program you are trying to give your self. If you are assigned to someone who is difficult to work with, unapproachable or doesn't seem to understand your needs or desires, don't feel abashed about switching.