Hampton University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Hampton University

Camille

If you're looking for a school that's inclusive, fun, and has great educators, Hampton University is the place to be. Coming here, I've experienced nothing but feeling welcomed and pure fun. All the students I've met so far are very helpful, encouraging, and hilarious. If any school had to be one of the easiest places to make friends, this would be top 5. My professors are very helpful and communicate their lessons in ways all students can understand. They're always making themselves available to students and provide many opportunities for grade improvement.

Joydan

It’s a great school, but it could be better if they only listen to the students, TRULY listened to the students and create more financial opportunities. I love my school, but it does have its major flaws which is something hard to look past especially it being an elite HBCU. You hold the students to a certain standard..... do the same for your faculty and staff.

Jordan

Hampton is a decent school, but there’s a lot of things about it that just don’t sit right with me, the biggest being the president of the university and how he has no real regard for the students. The faculty and staff don’t always look out for their students which is sad considering HU is a $40,000 a year school

Marcia

Hampton University is a college that creates a great education for its students. While there are still some areas such as dormitories, learning facilities, the administration, and the cafeteria, that still need some improvements I wouldn't say that Hampton University is a horrible school. It is a school where you have to create your own experience because if you don't you really won't enjoy it ( I've learned that from experience). Hampton has made some improvements that were well needed and as the university continues to make improvements I feel that they will be able to fully live up to their "Standard of Excellence" again.

Nia

I am a second-year Cybersecurity major on the Computer Science track at Hampton. In my opinion, the best part of Hampton is the education. I feel the education is good, we learn a lot and are encouraged to learn it well. The "Standard of Excellence" that is Hampton's motto certainly exists in my department (Computer Science). However, administration and staff is known to be a mix of unprofessional or not knowledgeable or suspected of being corrupt. There is something the students and alumni talk about called the "Hampton Runaround". This is when business needs to be carried out, and you have to go from person to person to person to get what should be a simple process done. This year was my first year, but I have a brother there now and both of my parents and another brother are alumni. Therefore, I have been on campus quite a lot, and have heard quite a lot. This is part of the reason why my freshman year was so shocking while being perfectly suspected. Many saw the trending hashtag #HUTownHall earlier this year, and heard how administration was silencing students and not answering questions, and how the quality of the food can often be absolutely horrendous. Living there, I will say the cafeteria food is rarely good. However, after the exposure, the school has made attempts at increasing the quality of the food, even adding a hibachi line where they serve customized fried rice. As far as the dorms go, many of them are in desperate need of attention. They are renovating parts of some of them, but I am still dreading going back this fall only because of the dorms. I lived in VC Suites for my freshman year--the female honors freshman dorm--and I still think it is the only dorm worth living in. Hampton University has a lot to fix when it comes to dormitories, food, and administration. I appreciate that they are making attempts to do better. I just regret that it took public exposure to get them to move. However, even with all of this, I enjoy being part of the Hampton student body. While I am not the type to go drinking or go to the parties they have in the gym every Saturday, I like saying I am a student at Hampton University. I love the friends I have made and the experiences I have had. Though the future of Hampton is blurry now, though I may not be able to stay at Hampton to finish my education after my second year, I know I will forever remember my first two years of college as being spent at Hampton University.

Mark

Academics should be one of the first things to consider when considering a school. Hampton University shines in this department. Most notably in the schools of business, science, psychology, and the Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications. Being a journalism major I can attest for the quality of Scripps Howard. It is the newest building and has the most updated technology. The best part is the professors; Scripps has people who are currently in the field and want their student to succeed. They give very honest and constructive feedback that helps you in the long run. Hamptons general education doesn’t feel the same but once you get into your major the experience is immaculate. Many people come for their five year MBA program for business and psychology. Those people usually report a good experience. Academics are a major strength of Hampton University. Hampton University is a Historically Black College and University (HBCU). It is one of the oldest HBCUs and has many historical buildings. While it’s easy to appreciate the historical significance of many of the residential dormitories on campus, many of the dorms need serious renovation. Issues like rotting ceilings, broken ACs, and poor insulation were common in my first year. Dorms are by no means uninhabitable, it’s just possible to feel the age on them at times. There two are newer dorms, Holmes and White Hall, that very nice. You just have to be an exceptional honors student to live their. Housing is not insufferable, it is just not as good as it could be. The food, to be blunt, is bad. The cafeteria is new and beautiful; it’s a nice place to hang out and study. The food sadly does not reflect this. It is often without flavor, underdone, or overdone. It is worth mentioning that the quality of food is actually good at the beginning and end of the semester. Lastly, the campus culture is a very nice experience. People are for the most part friendly, the greeks are entertaining, and the campus is very diverse. There are so many people from so many different backgrounds, you are sure to find a group of lifelong friends. Campus events are always a fun experience. The campus has a lot of historical significance and even a world class Museum to document it. The Culture at Hampton is a huge plus to the University. I would recommend Hampton University if you are looking for good academics, hands on professors, and are planning to major in the sciences, business, psychology, journalism or public relations.

Trina

We are a family, we are committed to being the best today, and for future generations to come. Our faculty works with us continuously to help us achieve our goals. We are an outstanding team of leaders and future leaders of the world.

Kiera

Hampton is a great school to get a great education from. There are many downsides to the school, like any other place. However, I feel like Hampton has a lot to offer. There's a good atmosphere with the other students and faculty. I'm glad I chose to go to Hampton.

Brianna

Overall, my opinion of Hampton University is that while it may seem like a good school from the outside, once you really visit and stay there for a while, you can see how it really is. Spotty wifi, passable food on a good day, awful professors and clogged showers are the norm here, despite its reputation of "your home by the sea", the only thing that is great about Hampton University is the exterior of the buildings.

Diamond

All in all, Hampton University isn't a bad place it just has a few areas that need to be tended but. I would definitely recommend this institution to others. The school itself has several activities that keep the students occupied, There's never a dull moment with these students.

Majesty

This institution is ranked 3rd among HBCUs and there is a rhym and reason , we pride ourselves in excellence , we learn from our history . We make mistakes and fix them . We listen to each other . Problem solve & provide some great opportunities for students , if they look and work hard for them , here the standard is Excellence. We strive for the best .

Simone

I enjoy the Hamptonian experience, however there is some much needed improvements. Such as, the faculty, amenities,dormitories, and buildings. The faculty are wonderful people, however there helpfulness is lacking when necessary. The amenities and services overall are awful, as a full time student you get sublime assistance, and if you are transferring or commuter there isn't any sort of supportive services. Last but not least the dormitories and buildings are despicable, the cost of tuition is crazy, however the services offered at Hampton aren't a reflection of that. Room and board isn't worth the price you are paying, you are short handed by the dry food, lack of diversity in the choices, and overall satisfaction. The only experience enjoyable in the cafeteria or craft services are the people you meet during that time. The buildings are outdated faulty, terrible flooding all through out the campus. My complaints can go on forever my the grotesque things I have seen on Hampton campus. Now, the education is the real star seller here, because that's the only beneficial or incentive that Hampton University is going on. When I first entered there was only a 30% acceptance rate now it's 64% and you can see that it's having a negative affect on certain programs and their average success/retention rate. Hopefully, the education never falls short, because my experience at Hampton has only been to graduate with my degree.

Rashad

Great university. People are always having intellectual conversations. It is amazing at the number of smart people at Hampton. Hampton does not tolerate alcohol on campus, which is a great rule. Hampton also offers a variety of major and sports options.

Asif

Hampton University is far from perfect. It has a few problems. First, the college is expensive. My tuition fee is $11,000/year. It is a historic institution that was founded shortly after the Civil War, but unfortunately, I have heard that ventilation in the dorms is not that good. The college website does not get updated often and is hard to navigate. However, it has an accelerated pharmacy program, if you are into that, and many organizations to join.

Ty

Hampton University is one of the most prestigious institutions of higher learning that I could have the opportunity to attend. Sure, some things could be better, such as the food and the administration, but the fact that our alumni network is so widespread, and the Hampton experience is something that cannot be replicated anywhere, It's most definitely worth it for me. The campus is beautiful, the students are great, and overall it's definitely rooted itself as my "Home by the Sea".

Angel

Hampton University is one of the best universities in the United States. The professors are well trained individuals in various fields who are willing to help students learn. Students at Hampton, find it very easy to make friends and meet with lots of nice people. Hampton university provides one with different opportunities to learn and develop skills that will be beneficial in future endeavors. I will recommend Hampton university for anyone seeking a good college to attend.

Rosa

All I want to say is to be prepared for this generation of QTX, abbreviated for Quintessence. We are the beautiful, radiant, quintessence Class of 2019.

A'lexus

Absolutely love the campus, students, atmosphere, faculty and facilities!

Ty

Hampton needs to work on the facilities. It's mold everywhere, the café is terrible, the activities aren't fun. I can also say that Hampton is reputable and has a lot of connections. Being at Hampton you can see a lot of excellence around. If tuition was cut in half I'd love it more.

Aiyannah

Great place to make connections and network with alumni. It is a small unique family that is shared for a lifetime. It is an HBCU with a lot of pride in our school. Those things are cool, but the campus needs a major UPGRADE in buildings and dorms importantly! It is super expensive because it is a private school. Also, there are too many people being admitted here and the campus cannot hold all of these people. All in all, Hampton University is what you make it. You have to choose to get involved and to have a great time.

Arielle

I am a rising senior at Hampton University, and during my tenure I have experienced all of the highs and lows one could expect from college life. We strive to build families in each department and organization, and while we may sometimes fall short, the effort doesn't go unnoticed. HU definitely has problems: outdated policies, outdated facilities, and the small atmosphere can sometimes make you feel closed in. On the other hand, there are endless opportunities for students to explore, personally and professionally; our physical shortcomings only strengthen our survival skills. I've made lifelong friends and gone places I wouldn't have ever dreamed of if not for Hampton University (shout out to Honors College!). I don't regret my decision to attend this school, and if I can finesse, my kids will go to HU too.

Alexis

hello

Tannah

I am a transfer student and I feel that they could accommodate our needs more, but I have enjoyed the social life on campus. I am not a huge fan of the food, but I do like the creative aspect that they have when it comes to events. I believe they could do more to spice up down times on campus. A fire pit or two around the water area would be a nice way to give students a place to hang out and enjoy the outdoors. This one of those HBUs that you personally have to want to come to. It is not a school I would recommend to my friends, but I myself enjoy the experience.

Ania

Hampton really helped shape me into the young woman I am today. I came in shy, unconfident, and unsure of what I wanted to do. Now I'm proud to say that I'm proud of who I am, what I've accomplished, and where I plan to go. The experiences I've had here are unmatched, I couldn't see myself anywhere else.

Sheyenne

Hampton is a great school with a lot of great people. Everyone strives to be great for themselves and also motivate others. The professors are great if you attempt to include them in your studies. They will always help when they see you are actually interested in achieving an A in their class. The students are very vibrant and smart. This school gave me a new start at life and my education so far it has been on of the best decisions I have ever made.

Llaran

It is a "what you make it" type of school. Personally, it was a great move for me because I am a go-getter. If you aren't a social person who can actively look for opportunities then this is not the place for you. I will say that everyone that goes to Hampton and optimizes their experience leaves prepared for the world.

Sheilin

It's a great school, it has been my dream school since I was in 8th grade. My only problem is the lack of scholarships. A lot of us have a perfect High School records, some of us even went above and beyond to get into the school and that was still not enough.

Keisha

I love Hampton University. It is the best school I have ever attended. The school has a great name for themselves and I found out that you are able to get great jobs. I am very happy that I choice Hampton University.

Zena

Hampton University is a very good school especially HBCU wise. I believe that the academics that are offered here are amazing and there are so many opportunities to be able to connect with higher power individuals that have the ability to offer you amazing opportunities wether they are internships or jobs. As for housing the dorms are not the best but the family lifestyle that comes from living in a big dorm brings is worth it. The cafe food is not the best but just like many schools there is much room for improvement. Overall, Hampton is a ver good school although very very expensive it is worth the education.

Will

I believe Hampton University is a great school who highly values their tradition and history. The majority of the buildings are historic and hold much value in the African American Community, such as the Emancipation Oak which is located on campus. While the school is traditional, I do believe that they could become more up to date and not so stuck in old ways. Their needs to be more balance and receptiveness to the younger generations.

Saleena

Hampton is fun, but only because the students are always AMAZING. When you go to Hampton, you just automatically join a family, and everyone is approachable. The biggest problem is well... Everything else. There aren't enough places for students to hang out after 12 am, so meeting up to finish a project... You better hope someone has an apartment in your group because even seniors have a curfew in the dorms to where they are unable to have people in their rooms after a certain time (no matter the gender). Not to mention.. The dorms are HORRIBLE. You get one small rooms to share with one other person and a bathroom to share with 12 others and the buildings are so old and out of date its ridiculous.. We pay way too much to have this many issues. They don't offer many school scholarships. And lastly, trying to get anything done in Hampton required something we call "The Hampton Run-Around". This is a process which take a week for seven hundred people to sign one piece of paper to do the simplest job.. ever. If our buildings were updated, our school would definitely be amazing, but that along with all of the other problems.. It's just too much. We would love to have you as a part of the family, but I assure you that Hampton University is the struggle.

Taylor M.

Hampton University can be called a lot of things. Small, rustic, even bougie. Though, one thing we can truly pride ourselves on is our outstanding performance as an HBCU. Coming to Hampton University after attending a predominately white high school was like a blessing in disguise. I say this because, one I attended a school with others who look like me, think like me, and act like me, I felt so much more comfortable than I EVER did at my high school. It's just something about living and being around young black people who have the same goals as myself, to be educated, successful, and career oriented. In attending Hampton, I have really found myself and discovered the person that I was truly meant to be, while proudly living in my melanin skin. Yes, the buildings are old, and no the dorms aren't the greatest, and you won't always find a great cooked meal in the cafeteria, I'm going to be completely honest. Instead, you'll find yourself, and lifelong friendships. You'll find people who you can trust with your secrets and also some that you cant. You'll find acceptance in organizations and sports teams on campus. But most of all, you'll find a forever home by the sea. Better known as, The Real HU.

Hadassah

It is a great school! They just need to work on some things like their dorms, food, and their wireless connection. Other than the negative, the positive is they have great professors and great size classes. The school spirit is good as well. Each one of the students has pride in their "Home by the Sea."

Taighlor

Hampton University is a prestigious institution that is rich in history and tradition. This school is one of the top historically black universities in the world, for it provides higher education through a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Hampton University not only supplies a high level education for its students, for it is a tightly-knit community of higher level thinkers and future leaders and becomes a home to its students eternally. Hampton is a safe place for those with big dreams!

Co-nesha

I believe Hampton University is truly the "standard of excellence", a place where people will live , breathe, and be excellent. This HBCU is like one of the IVY leagues of HBCUs in he country. I am grateful to be at an institution that carries the name of excellence and is steady moving in the right direction academically, socially, and overall experience.

Micheal

It is a very nice school and you'll meet plenty of nice and friendly people. The teachers are very nice for the most part and academic s are really valued. The only problems I have with the school is the food in the cafeteria is bad at times and the greek is hardly there.

Zhane

Hampton is a very well known HBCU. Everyone's experience is different, but mine so far has been great! In order to have a great experience, you have to be open to new things, new experiences and enjoy the atmosphere around you. Everyone is extremely nice and makes me feel welcomed and at home.

Seleata

Hampton University is a great institution. After being here a full semester, I understand the fascination of wanting to experience the "Hampton experience". Choosing to attend an HBCU was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. What sets Hampton apart, is it's "standard of excellence". Hampton expects nothing but the best from it's students and it is apparent in the way the "Hamptonian" carries him or herself.

Neal

College life isn't at all like you see on TV screens. Waking up every day and walking through the rain in order to get to class is a daily task itself. Hampton University has offered me plenty of opportunities, I won't get anywhere else. There's a vibe that you get on this campus that is very unique compared to other campuses around the country. Friendliness is a motto that's preached and lived on the campus of Hampton University. Apathy is nowhere in sight on this campus! school spirit is always at an all-time high. Furthermore, I wouldn't have wanted to make any other choice in colleges.

Paxtin

It is a great college in the heart of Hampton roads ,Va . It small so you do not feel like a number but a person with a name that your teachers will know. It is close to my home in North Carolina and that is good so my family can come to my lacrosse games.

Leanne

Overall I love Hampton. I consider as an "elite" HBCU that truly cares about the students but still pushes you to do your very best. Hampton is very open to everyone and as a result the community is very close. Unlike other HBCU's where they expect everyone to be the same, Hampton University encourages diversity in all the students and there is no "Status Quo". I absolutely love Hampton University and I suggest that anyone considering an HBCU should choose this Home by the Sea :)

Alexis

My first semester as a freshman has been an eventful one. NSO Week was the most fun when it comes to adapting to Hampton. People were very friendly and willing to help and usually are in general. On the other hand, Hampton definitely is a traditional school. Freshmen have a curfew for 6 weeks and no visitation, which has been frustrating when trying to adapt to adulthood and social life. On top of that, they have canceled events that make Hampton fun. I can't say I wouldn't have gotten good grades without the help and care that my professors have had with me. Nevertheless, the staff, in general, are helpful depending on the department. Student Accounts, the registrar, and financial aid) The cost of Hampton is alarming compared to how old most of the buildings are (w/o being renovated). Once you established a positive group of friends and relationships with your professors you'll soar. There are so many opportunities the school has to offer.

Aman

My first year at Hampton University consisted of a series of different experiences. I started off my college experience at Hampton University as a student athlete. I left for my freshman year earlier than most of my other counterparts on August 8th. When I set out for school with my mother and little brother the whole trip I had an aching feeling in my stomach. I was nervous to start living life on my own and I was nervous about meeting girls I had never met before. When I arrived at Hampton, the girls on the soccer team were my first friends. They were the ones who began to shape my experiences at Hampton University. As the school year and season went on, my view of Hampton became skewed due to the struggles I went through with the soccer team. Although I faced many struggles with the soccer team, I also faced challenges with the school's lack of resources for my major. My overall experience with being a political science major at Hampton was that it is not one of the schools strongest points. In terms of business school, journalism, and pharmacy Hampton has exceptional programs for those majors but for me, the political science department was not where it needed to be. My experience with student life at Hampton was unforgettable. There are so many different traditions that the school does which makes the school one of a kind. I had an amazing time socializing and meeting new people at different events and making friends that will last a lifetime. Hampton's campus is so gorgeous and there was never a dull moment in the fall during homecoming. Although my experience at Hampton was not like most I can say that going to an HBCU taught me so much about myself, who I am, and who I want to become. I am forever grateful to Hampton for the lessons it taught me and the growth that I experienced from going to the school.

Tara

I think Hampton University has a lot of improvements that need to be made. Considering the price that students are paying to attend the university, there should not be as many problems as there are. (Ex: Cafeteria, dorms, etc). In addition, there should be more shops for students to access, as the campus is isolated, and transportation is minimum.

Maya

Hampton university is a great school for education. Although there are many downsides education is what comes out on top. The campus could use some updates in many of the buildings and dorms. Also there are no transportation services given to students.

Veronica

I've grown to love Hampton University more, and more every day! Here I met so many wonderful people that I’ll be calling my life-long friends, all from my freshmen year. I also met teachers who are now my mentors, who will always be there to help me.

Malik

My overall opinion of Hampton University is that Hampton is a very beautiful and fantastic school. The dorms are roomy and comfortable, there is plenty of activities and organizations to join, and the campus is well diverse. I love it here and I recommend anybody to apply and come to this unique establishment.

Kirstein

When I went to go visit the campus I instantly fell in love with it. It is so beautiful and sits right on the water so it looks like one of the pictures you see on the internet of really exotic places. Some of the facilities are a little older and some are newer, but that was kind of expected during the visit. Hampton is known to be a "party" school but one thing that they don't play about is their academics. They are a school that is work first play later and that is something that I really admired when considering the school. I realized that by going there not only will I have a great time experiencing life but that I will also get my education which is the main thing.

Casmir

Hampton University is such a lovely school. The campus is one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. The old building mixed with the new buildings make the campus seem old filled with a lot of history but also makes it feel comforting. Being that Hampton is on the water it really is your home by the sea. The people have lovely personalities and everyone gets along like one big family.