Hanover, IN
Hanover College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hanover College

Andrew

Over this past summer I worked at a camp for children with behavioral problems. During the training process, one of the key concepts that was conveyed to us was, "These are not bad kids, they are kids with bad behaviors." One of the major problems I've had in college is letting grudges end relationships. Going into college I would suggest thinking about everyone as a good person, and forgiving those mistakes made along the way. In other words, "These are not bad friends, they've just made some mistakes."

How quickly a reputation sticks because rumors spread so fast.

Someone that is more interested in the college lifestyle and experience than the academics.

ben

Intellectualism pervades every aspect of Hanover, from the classroom to the social scene.

Don't waste time. There is not enough of it. College is the most amazing opportunity for self-realization. Balance academics and social life. Both are equally important. What is not important is sleeping late or wasting time on the internet. Live every moment at college as if it matters, because it does. It will be over before you realize and life on the outside is totally different. College will change who you are. You will not be the same person when you graduate that you were when you went in. This is a good thing. Embrace it. Use the time to find out who you really are. Don't go in with any baggage at all. Use every opportuinty to learn about yourself and the world. Don't be afraid to have deep or spiritual experiences or to be open to new ideas. Most of all, don't waste time.

The scholarship program. Hanover offers a large number of merit scholarships to prospective students. However, G.P.A. requirements make maintaining the scholarships difficult for all but top students. Furthermore, because of Hanover's strict anti-grade-inflation makes maintaining a top GPA, and hence a merit scholarship more difficult than at most institutions. Many students who are initially offered scholarships lose them after the first year. In addition, Hanover's nontraditional credit system makes it hard to transfer out, leaving students with little choice but to finish at Hanover for the higher price.

Felisha

As small as my experience has been since I began college at Hanover College, I have to say that many of the worries I had about being in college were completely unfounded. I worried that I would be homesick and lonely without any of my high school friends or my parents to see everyday. But my first week here in freshman orientation, I made friends with almost everyone in my dorm hall I though a Liberal Arts college would be extremely difficult to handle. However, my high school, which was a college-prepatory school, truly helped me and preparing me for the college experience, so adapting had not been a huge problem for me like it had been others on campus. It's been too early to really tell, but I feel as if college has really helped in gaining a social life as I didn't have one in high school, as well as relaxing and having a bit of fun every once it a while. It has taught me how to "chill" so to speak.

Worst is such a strong word. I can't really think of anything that truly dislike here. Maybe a small issue, but nothing to complain about. Maybe the lack of true diversity here. I'm black so there's not a lot of black people. Maybe around 40-45 at the very most. That's 45 out of 2000 by the way, so very small diversity rate.

Brooklyn

The beautiful environment surrounding my university makes for a peaceful, nature-friendly lifestyle and educational experienc...

The beautiful environment surrounding my university makes for a peaceful, nature-friendly lifestyle and educational experience.

From my college experience, I have gained the most important piece of knowledge that one can. I have learned who I truly am. The setting, the people, and the immense amount of education that I have been fortunate enough to encounter have allowed me to understand what I want from life. It has allowed me to see that I want to pursue a career which will allow me to make a difference for individuals globally. I have found great interest in cultural studies, and hope to travel the world as I continue to both make that difference and learn infinitely. Hanover College has allowed for me to figuratively "fall in love" with learning. I cannot even express how thankful I am for that fact. Now, as opposed to before my experience here, I truly believe that there is no such thing as too much education. Because of Hanover College, I cannot get enough of it.

Students who should attend this school are those who are nature-loving, eager to learn, dedicated, driven, open-minded, simplistic, and creative.

Erin

My classmates are small-town people with a mind-set that this area represents most of the world they will see in life.

College is a time of growth, learning about yourself and others in the process. It is ok not to have a full-length, detailed plan for your life, instead enjoy the process with an open mind. This way, you will be able to consume the knowledge you will learn in college (both in and out of the classroom) rather than worry whether it will be applicable to your future career. Enjoy the ride, Erin. When you fail, get back up and know you learned something new. However, there is a difference between a challenge and a wrong direction, though. Don?t be afraid to listen to your instinct and follow the path that?s right for you, not the one that?s right for everyone else. College is a unique opportunity that you will regret if you only focus on the future instead of appreciating the present. Enjoy the ride, Erin.

It is great if you know exactly what you want to do. If not, be prepared to work hard in classes you may not like while figuring out your future. The professors want to see you struggle to success and not be handed it easily.

Leah

My classmates are diverse, dependable students who are eager to learn and excited about life.

Ok, Leah. Here's the deal. College is totally different than high school...not necessarily in a good or bad way; it's just different. Trust me. When you get there, you'll know exactly what I mean. Suddenly, everything changes. You're living on your own, taking care of yourself and calling all the shots. Mommy and Daddy aren't around anymore. Now YOU are the boss, and it's the best feeling in the world! Or is it? Well, take it from me. While being at college can be very liberating, it can also be very intimidating. I'm not going to lie...the transition is tough, especially when you're attending an academically-challenging school. Much will be expected of you, and everyone will be telling you something different--get involved, study hard, party all night long! You might find yourself wondering, 'How do I handle it all?' Well, first of all, understand that no one can do it all. The best thing to do is prioritize your activities and work to find a balance between them. It might be difficult, but don't give up. Embrace every opportunity you are given and never stop learning.

Hmm...well, I usually brag about the size of my school, the quality of education, and the beauty of the campus! Because Hanover is so small, the campus community is very close-knit and genuine. At Hanover, everyone has a name. Class sizes are small, which allows professors to get to know their students. As a result, academics are top-notch. Finally, the location of Hanover is so...refreshing. Rather than crowded in a polluted city, Hanover sits high above the gorgeous Ohio River. Many of my friends who attend large universities miss out on these experiences that Hanover offers.

Katherine

Don't be afraid of the unknown. It is hard at first because you don't know anyone however, everyone else is in the same boat. There are many people all around you who are looking for friends and are just as lost as you are. Don't be afraid to talk to them. Also, remember that by being here you are doing what is best for yourself. Your parents will understand if you cannot make it to every family function or be there for them. This is the point in your life where you need to focus on yourself and your education. Also remember that all those one dollar snacks add up after awhile.

Jacob

My school is a rigorous school accademically and diverse it terms of academics.

My school is a rigorous school accademically and diverse it terms of academics.

Tyler, words of wisdom from a time you know not of yet are coming to you. My dear friend, first please apply for more scholarships. They will help you in times of need. You don't know everything nor are you ever going to. Be humble, but not to the point where you sacrifice your confidence and self identity. You are going to change, especially in terms of religous thought. It's okay, trust yourself and keep living life. P.S. Think long and hard about whether or not you want to take a class called Francophone Multiculturalism. Love, Yourself

The best thing about my school is that it lets you dabble in various fields to help further your unerstanding of yourself as a person.

Lindsay

My classmates are genuine, intelligent, insightful, hard-working, and amiable. The professors here tend to initiate a relaxing atmosphere for class which helps students feel at ease and feel able to easily communicate their ideas without being intimidated by their peers or the professor. Professors and peers actually esteem students more for expressing their own insights and ideas in class time. Most classes here are discussion-based and require students to express their opinions.

If I could go back and visit with myself as a senior in high school, being uncertain of the future and terrified of making life decisions, I would want to want to reassure my young self that it is okay to make decisions. I've learned that everything in life will be ok as long as you take it as a learning experience. Remain certain in who you are, what goals you want to accomplish, and take the time to enjoy it along the way. Get to know new people, take advantage of exlporing new outlets, and take time to learn what matters the most to you in life-- friends, love, happiness. Looking at the incoming freshmen at Hanover, I often catch myself smiling. I smile for their innocence, their vast opportunity before them, and their youth-- the places from which I myself have grown as they will. With my time at Hanover coming to an end, I look back on my years here with great satisfaction as a senior. Meeting the people I consider my family, becoming immersed in a supportive, engaging, and nurturing environment, I feel privileged to be a part of this unique home for four years.

I wish I would have known that the majority of students who attend Hanover come from the surrounding tristate area, and therefore, will travel home on the weekends, leaving campus a little quiet; as a student, you have to be creative and resourceful with friends in order to think of things to do.

Sara

They are known for strong academics and it is a very respectable school.

They are known for strong academics and it is a very respectable school.

It will always be tough to choose the right college for you. There are so many to choose from and you will never know if you picked the right one until you are there. What helped me the most was going on an overnight visit. This allowed me to experience Hanover College up close, and personal and allowed me to meet people who I would be going to school with. Making the most out of your college experience was relatively easy for me. I was immediately welcomed into multiple clubs, and varsity athletics at my school. this helped my transition to go very smoothly as I immediately made many friends at my school. College is a fun, and you just have to learn how to balance fun with learning.

There is so much work outside of class and sometimes it is hard to juggle with all of my activites. It's like the professors think their class is the only class we have.

Hanover College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.