Hanover, IN
Hanover College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hanover College

Sara

They are known for strong academics and it is a very respectable school.

They are known for strong academics and it is a very respectable school.

It will always be tough to choose the right college for you. There are so many to choose from and you will never know if you picked the right one until you are there. What helped me the most was going on an overnight visit. This allowed me to experience Hanover College up close, and personal and allowed me to meet people who I would be going to school with. Making the most out of your college experience was relatively easy for me. I was immediately welcomed into multiple clubs, and varsity athletics at my school. this helped my transition to go very smoothly as I immediately made many friends at my school. College is a fun, and you just have to learn how to balance fun with learning.

There is so much work outside of class and sometimes it is hard to juggle with all of my activites. It's like the professors think their class is the only class we have.

Seth

Find one that will truly challenge you to grow not only academically but in all aspects of your life

Kristie

My advice is directed toward the student because I had no assistance from a parent in choosing a college. First of all the student should be knowledgeable of her financial situation. If parents are willing to help, that is great, but if she will need to take out loans she needs to secure a co-signer and plan to repay the loans after graduation. With the financing in mind, looking for a college or university becomes a checklist of personal preferences and sensibility. The student should check for his or her intended major, talk to current students, visit the college (not just for the parties), and definitely sit in on classes in which future professors will teach. The reason for these precautions is that in order to do well at a college the student must be comfortable in her surroundings and it is even better if the professors are not only great teachers but also very approachable. The greatest motto I have learned from by year and a half of college is that being surrounded by good people makes one's life experiences that much better.

I love that my school has a small campus

freshmen that don't take class seriously

Jeremy

The best advice I can give is to go on visits and experience the school first-hand. Pay attention to everything at the college, including how secretaries and admissions ambassadors treat you. If you can, talk to students and professors in your potential major. Their job is to communicate the strengths of the school and make you feel welcome. If a professor doesn't pay attention to you as a visitor, you can be sure that they won't pay attention to you when you are their student. If a professor seems annoying or uncaring in a ten minute discussion, you are likely to find sitting through several hours of class each week very frustrating. When you have narrowed your decision to a few schools (3-5), go on overnight visits. This allows you to get a feel for the social life, study habits, living situation, and other aspects of the campus that are difficult to detect from daytime visits. By experiencing both the academic and social environments, you can make a better decision about what school fits with your career goals and personal preferences.

Small classes mean students have lots of opportunities to discuss what they have read and learn from the professors.

Someone who ONLY wants to drink or play sports will struggle to get through because the school places lots of emphasis on academics and doing research in your major.

Hanover College is a backwoods, rough-edged, jewel in the rough that would become better with more diverse, academically-inclined students; more reasonable expectations across the board; and with more visionary, tested leadership.

"How do you find the right college?" and "How do you make the most of the college experience?" are two different questions. Keep in mind that some colleges will be more to your liking than others. I would advise students and parents to look within a range that is reasonable in regards to finances, the student's tentative life direction, and the student's preferences. That is to say, do not attend a school you cannot afford, do not go to a school that does not offer your desired program, and do not go to a campus you know you'll hate. Otherwise, apply for as many scholarships as possible and take a chance with the best offer - read the fine print, but you can always transfer. When you feel okay about your decision, immerse yourself in the campus community. My best advice is: take interest! Join a club, ask a favorite professor out to lunch: these are ways to make friends, make your time at college more pleasant, and gain influence for later in life. College is but a few years of a person's life - make the most of your time and money, and spend it wisely!

The best thing: the relationships you can foster with your professors and fellow, like-minded students (whoever they are). You'll get what you give.

Brandon

Our beautiful campus that overlooks the only spot that the Ohio River has three bends. It is also known to be a very well-educated liberal arts school.

Listen to their child because it is important for them to be in an atmosphere that they are willing to learn in. Otherwise you will just be wasting money.

Kyle

Make sure that the school you attend has a healthy social scene. For general happiness, this is more important than anything else. When you get to school, focus hard on your studies during the week to make time for socializing on the weekends. Don't ever turn down a chance to do something fun, new, or interesting.

Because it is so small, the students become a very close-knit community. This has its negatives as well, but the end result is a group of friends who truly care about one-another.

The actions of the administration reflect a complete lact of respect for the student body and an unwillingness to treat them like adults.

Cory

Small size, beautiful campus, and friendly people.

Small size, beautiful campus, and friendly people.

If you can find a school that feels like home, a school where you could happily live the rest of your life, count yourself lucky and do all you can to get in. Once you make it, be grateful to yourself and do all you can to stay in. Remember never to worry about impressing anyone or about what anybody expects of you. You know what matters to yourself. Surround yourself with friends who like you as you are, and treasure them. Take classes you care about, and never forget them. Feel comfortable inside your own life. Be joyful, and share that joy with everyone you meet. Like it or not, four years will pass quickly, and all you'll have left will be the lessons you've learned and the friends you've made. Despair not, for friends and lessons are life's sublime treasures. If you can build your life on pure and mindful happiness, college will help you find these keys to lasting joy.

Certainly the wonderful people, my friends, students and professors both. Studying at Hanover I feel welcome, like I'm home.

Kathleen

My classmates are generally white, middle class young people from the Midwest, who work hard academically but also enjoy their college experience.

My advice would be to pick the college that is right for you at this exact time of your life. I wanted to attend a big, urban school far away from home. However, for various reasons, I ended up at a small, rural school a few hours from my parents. While it wasn't the choice I thought I would make, it turned out to be the right one for me at the stage I was in in my life when I left for college.

I wish I had known Hanover's high academic standards coupled with its relatively small size and lack of visibility would prepare me well for the job market and other challanges but would make me a less-than-strong candidate for graduate school.

Hanover College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.