Abilene, TX
Hardin-Simmons University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Hardin-Simmons University

Enjoy the moments you have in high school while you can. You can't wait to get done with high school, but you can never re-live all of the excitement and carelessness that high school has to offer. College is a major transition time, but it doens't have to be a difficult one. Most upper-classmen are friendly and can offer you advice if you need it, and don't be afraid to branch outside your comfort zone. Other freshmen are new students as well and could use a friend. Get involved with anything you enjoy. This will strengthen your bond to the school and help you make new friends. Don't put off studying, and take as many notes as you can. Cramming for a test is never advised. Look over your notes every few days, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Professors are there to help you. Keep in close contact with your parents and let them know how college life is going.

Jade

I have gained many things from my college experience. One of the things that i have gained is great friends. I have met friends through playing college volleyball and also attending classes. Some of my teammates have been the most inspiration people that i have ever met. They have shared family values with me and also have shared life lessons. The few friends that i have met in class, are considered my bestfriends. We share common accademic futures and also similar traits that are great for networking. I attended and recieved my AA from San Juaquin Delta College in Stockton california. I had two teachers that have inspired me to be a teacher. I admire both teachers because of their impacts on their students. They didn't only teach the subject matter but also was there to council their students. It is important to attend school because i believe this is the only way to be successful in this world. There is so much information in this world that can not be optained enless you attend school. I do not consider school to be a punishment, but a blessing. Not everyone is as fortunant to attend school as I am.

Genene

My classmates are interesting because we all come from different places and backgrounds.

Without the scholarships I have received, Hardin-Simmons would have been way out of the question due to its expense. It means so much to me just to be here. I was used to the campus even before class began because of my attendance of the Super Summer church camp held here each summer, and I truly felt that I was called to attend this school. I have made at least one life-long friend just by attending my first semester. It's amazing to me at how quick two people from totally different backgrounds could become such good friends; that in itself is priceless. Also, I have really enjoyed being a player on the HSU tennis team. Tennis is my escape from all the studying. I first picked up a racquet in seventh grade, and I haven't set it down since. Playing on the varsity team at my high school made me enjoy those four years much more than I intended. Tennis plays that same role for me here at HSU. I knew I would have fun, but I had no idea I would miss the college life within just a week of Christmas break!

The best thing about HSU is the student-teacher ratio. None of my classes have had more than 30 students. The teachers know your name before the semester ends, and they really try to get to know you on a personal level.

Leslie-Marie

Hardin-Simmons is a lively, friendly , Christian campus full of fun activities., challenging and helpful professors, great amenities, and warm smiles.

Hardin-Simmons is a valuable school to attend for a myriad of reasons. The people and campus life at Hardin-Simmons capture the heart as well as prepare students for the future. This university is truly one of the most exciting colleges to attend. The people at HSU are some of the most unique individuals around. Professors at HSU take the time to ensure students are obtaining the most from their education. Some instructors at this university also assist in finding part-time jobs for students. Fellow students and classmates as well as faculty are eager to make newcomers feel welcome at HSU. The atmosphere at Hardin-Simmons University provides a "back at home" comfort, but it is still large enough to have a plethora of resources as well as many student mixers and events. Personally, Hardin-Simmons University has ,in one year, transformed my life for the better. I have an improved self-esteem level, something that I had been battling. I have abundant resources for jobs and internships thanks to programs and professors at this school. My grade point has also improved since attending HSU. This university has made such a great impact on my life.

One of the best attributes of my school is the friendly, welcoming environment. If you don't feel comfortable at a school, you're not going to stick it out or press yourself to work or study hard. You also won't have companions to help you. Hardin-Simmons has a warm atmosphere full of so many energetic, happy people who will gladly be your friend in a heartbeat. I adjusted so much easier to college because of the friendly ambience there.

Heather

The professors were informative, helpful and always willing to go beyond the norms to help a student. I enjoyed my experience at Hardin-Simmons.

What you lack in experience to employers you make up for with the education you receive from college. Make yourself marketable and attend school.

I was a member of the World Famous Cowboy Band!

Rebecca

My school is a great, Christian school and I would never consider any where else.

If I could go back in time and to my senior year of high school and give myself some tips, I would prolly say lissten to your parents and study harder. Think about what your doing before your doing it. Don't just go do what ever. Think about the money your spending and who earned it. Be just a little more careful.

I'm a ministry majoer so I take a lot of Bible classes. I love thoughs class. They challenge me the most out of any of my class and yet I love it.

Nelda

My senior year, I was given the privelege to attend a technical college. The advice I would of given myself was first of all set up some priorities and goals that could be used as a guideline to accomplish something beneficial to me in the future. The courses that I was going to take at this technical college could be used as a practice tool for when I was ready to fully jump right into a university setting. There were many opportunities for scholarships at my high school and the advice would be take advantage of any little help I could get. Also don't just settle for your dream school. Things dont always work out as planned and knowing the different options would help me get back on my feet should a plan fail to come out as planned.

The mission of Hardin - Simmons is to provide a great education with skilled professors and a friendly, faith oriented environment. I think that is the greatest thing about this university.

This school is very in tune with faith. Christians would feel very welcome here. People who do consider themselves Christians but are not very involved with the thought of faith as a constant would feel welcomed here. The atmosphere at this university is amazing. If someone is just looking for a place where they could get along with just anybody this is a place for them. Someone who is looking for small classes with more one on one opportunities with professors would find this school to be at a great benefit to them.

Jared

I would definitely tell myself that it does not matter how well you do in high school (to a certain degree) because college is a whole different ball game. I also tell myself to never get discouraged.

The size of the classes are excellent because if you are lucky you might get 40-50 students in your class

I would say the activity on the weekends are very low because it seems as if everyone is home.

My school is best known for the World Famous Cowboy Band! (Which I am so fortunate to be a part of!!) The Cowboy Band is not a marching band, but rather a show band. We have been around since 1923 and participated in many parades (such as the Neimann Marcus Adolphus Parade and Macy's Thanksgiving Parade) throughout our existance. Our uniforms consist of Wrangler's jeans, boots, crazy belts, chaps, bright yellow pearl snaps, a purple neck tie, and a cowboy hat. You can hear us "whooping" and "hollering" from a mile away! We're a proud HSU tradition!

My school is a small, close-knit Christian University. What I appreciate most about HSU is how it helps me to grow in my relationship with my community, peers, professors, family, and most importantly, with God. I had an unfortunate incident freshman year with a overlly controlling/stalking ex-boyfriend and when he attempted (and succeeded) to actually hurt me, my school was quick to respond and help me out. The small school atmosphere was caring enought to help me out in my time of need, and if it were a bigger school, I may not have been so lucky.

Dear Taylor, I know you are finally 18 and cannot wait to get out of the house, but slow down! You are about to embark on the biggest adventure of your life so far, and you do not want to blink, because you may just miss everything leading up to it. I know how anxious and jittery you are about this step, but just remember that God is on your side. Best of all, He will be there to catch you when you fall, pick you up, dust you off, and help you to be better off than you were from before. I know this because next year you are about to face some storms. First will come some homesickness. Next will be a rough semester with a phyically and emotionally hurtful boy. (Daddy will have to come up there twice...) I know you don't believe me, but it will happen. My advice is to get out there and meet as many people as you can., and always be faithful to God and remember that He's your #1 fan. You will be in good hands here at HSU, so get excited! Love, Me, 2 years in the future.

Plainview High School provided a solid education, but lacked in some areas. We had a great number of students for the size of our building. There were many female students pregnant, fathers/soon to be fathers, gangs and uncaring students throughout school. The school is 72% hispanic/mexican, 24% white, and 4% black students. It's tough being the minority in a hispanic/mexican majority town. Sure, the school held great memories, but everyone I spoke to agrees, "we have to get out of here." I concur with their statements. I felt relief to move to Abilene in the fall.

Minus class ranking, ACT/SAT scores, or concurrent classes; high school grades don't matter. All the college looks for is how full your resume is, how well rounded of a person you are. Community service and awards collected are a definite plus and catch the colleges' eye. After you begin classes at your new college, study like crazy. Sure, older boys are cute, but they aren't the content on your next exam. Be careful and guard your heart around this new environment, so many people change over the course of a few months and become unrecognizable to the people they first met. Also, save your money and don't eat out. The cafeteria doesn't have the greatest food, but it's doable and you can use the money saved to buy coffe for your next study session. Make friends that won't stab you in the back and will genuinely be there, no matter what the situation. Not only become friends with the students; be sweet and make sure your professors know who you are. Class is more enjoyable because they understand you care about your future and education. Lastly, don't stress, you'll never survive.

Someone that doesn't want to spend money. Everything that costs something, didn't require purchasing. Anyone that enjoys band is perfect. We have 360+ members of the Powerhouse of the Plains Marching Band and the national record for 72 consecutive years of division 1's. We're one giant dysfunctional family. PHS is also home to great athletes, such as Jamar Wall (Texas Tech football), Alesha Robertson (Texas Tech basketball), and Chelsea Welch (Oklahoma State). So if you're looking to spend less cash, watch a star athlete, or become a band geek, come to Plainview High.

Hardin-Simmons University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.